PDA

View Full Version : My hair feels awful!

Pinkster8
March 11th, 2012, 02:31 PM
My hair is horrible the last week! Running my hand through it, it feels like it is fried beyond recognition but the ends look mostly healthy, save for some random white dots and splits. I'm sure the cones in my products are hiding what is sure to be a huge number of splits but even the shaft of my hair feels horrid, like straw. I tried clarifying with baking soda and prell, to no avail. I have also tried heavy oiling to try to save it, which only helped while my hair was sodden with oil.
Any tips to try to fix my hair? I'm sure I could use a trim but my hair is damaged up the length, so a trim would just let new splits form.

Pinkster8
March 11th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Also, I should mention, this started since I began using my horn comb. I don't see any sharp seams on it but could it maybe be a factor in what's wrong?
Thanks in advance for any advice!! :)

HylianGirl
March 11th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Well it takes a while for the hair to recover, I believe that if you keep deep conditioning it it'll eventually get better. Also do you know what might have caused all of that? What is your routine? Do you chemically die it or heat style?

Shesta
March 11th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Why do you do an SMT treatment? To me it sounds like your hair needs moisture.

spidermom
March 11th, 2012, 03:50 PM
When my hair was damaged, treatment with Joico KPak Reconstructor helped a lot, that and regular small trims.

heidi w.
March 11th, 2012, 03:56 PM
My hair is horrible the last week! Running my hand through it, it feels like it is fried beyond recognition but the ends look mostly healthy, save for some random white dots and splits. I'm sure the cones in my products are hiding what is sure to be a huge number of splits but even the shaft of my hair feels horrid, like straw. I tried clarifying with baking soda and prell, to no avail. I have also tried heavy oiling to try to save it, which only helped while my hair was sodden with oil.
Any tips to try to fix my hair? I'm sure I could use a trim but my hair is damaged up the length, so a trim would just let new splits form.

First, it would seem that perhaps you're trying a bunch of new stuff in rapid succession. Take it easy, Sweetie. While cone infused products are not for everyone, there are plenty of folks who do just fine with cone products. I am such a person.

What is your hair type, such as straight, wavy, curly, super curly? This makes a big difference regarding the routine one might opt for or consider.

Have you tried a deep conditioner treatment?

What was your process for clarifying the hair with baking soda and prell shampoo? Did you condition as a part of this hair wash process?

I can likely help, but I first need to know what you did do, so I don't recommend that thing too much. And I need to know what kind of hair we're working with here.

heidi w.

heidi w.
March 11th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Also, I should mention, this started since I began using my horn comb. I don't see any sharp seams on it but could it maybe be a factor in what's wrong?
Thanks in advance for any advice!! :)

The comb does not change how the hair feels and behaves this much. I can't imagine that she's shredding through her hair either.

heidi w.

Madora
March 11th, 2012, 05:44 PM
It sounds like a moisture problem to me. Your hair needs moisturing INSIDE the strands as well as outside.

Here's Ktani's article on what catnip can do for split ends:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118

ETA: Ktani's article on Mineral Oil and how it can help keep moisture in your hair:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

I personally believe that keeping hair moisturized effectively is deeping it hydrated both INSIDE and out. Mineral oil has done wonders for several members. Check out the mineral oil thread!

jacqueline101
March 11th, 2012, 06:30 PM
I do a micro trim get rid of the splits unless its really bad maybe a trim. Then I'd try a moisture treatment and extra oil on the ends. Wear it up.

Pinkster8
March 11th, 2012, 07:09 PM
HylianGirl, I basically just wash it, condition it, and put leave-in throughout and usually some oil or a coney product on the ends. I try to wear it up as much as possible and as loosely as possible, and I also sleep on a satin pillowcase. I haven't done any dye or highlights since... November, I think, and I haven't used any heat since December.

Shesta, I looked at the SMT page; I will try to do that tomorrow. I agree with you; I think moisture is the problem but I'm not sure.

heidi w., my hair is straight but has some loose waves throughout. The only deep conditioning I've tried so far is oiling the heck out of my hair, putting cone-free conditioner on top of the works and leaving it in overnight (don't know if that counts as a deep condition or not). As for the baking soda/prell thing, I mixed about 2 parts Prell and 1 part baking soda, then wet my hair down in the shower, mixed the stuff up in a cup and put it on my hair, mostly on my scalp. I did put a small amount on part of my length but stayed away from the ends.

I washed it out with water but it was really clumped together and hard to rinse so I used cone-free conditioner to help detangle it and get the rest of the stuff out.

Thank you for the input, everyone! I will definitely do a SMT tomorrow night. I really hope it's just a moisture issue... my hair went downhill so fast! I will let you know what happens.

heidi w.
March 11th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Ok. I read your reply. Thank you.

The largest problem in the environment you're in, I think, is that you need to clarify and as a part of every single hair wash condition the hair really well. I don't think you do, but you need to condition the hair length, at least, every time you wash your hair.

I think the water is so very hard that it's causing buildup, which can make the uptake of conditioner less effective to null, depending on how hard the water actually is. I don't know if you have high sulfur or iron in the water, either.

For clarifying, the prell/baking soda mix is clarifying, but it sounds to me that you did not mix the shampoo and baking soda together. If you mix it before applying it, the concoction should come out kind of bubbly, yet creamy. THEN wet the hair thoroughly, underside and topside, and apply and lather up as you would with shampooing the hair. You will likely have to apply two or more times, too. THEN when done washing the hair, I would condition the hair. And after you're done conditioning the hair, THEN vinegar rinse (white vinegar if blonde; ACV if dark-haired). THEN rinse the vinegar solution out. The vinegar rinse might help to soften the hair a little bit, AND it should help a bit with buildup and mineral deposits drying on the hair.

THEN if you like, deep condition such as with SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment). I personally no longer deep condition as it's not really necessary in my situation, but I would advocate Biolage's Conditioning Balm for this process. Just applying conditioner does not mean a "deep" conditioning. It needs to be left on for a bit of time. I've used mayonnaise in the past for this. I have a whole entire way of doing this.

I believe the problem is the mineral content in the water and kind of blocking the uptake of conditioner. And then in turn and as a consequence, you have a problem maintaining moisture in the hair.

OH! And I would never recommend using Prell shampoo. Ever. That's some pretty harsh shampoo.

heidi w.

Kelikea
March 11th, 2012, 08:26 PM
If you have hard water, you may need to use a chelating shampoo to remove mineral deposits. Then condition like crazy or an SMT. Heavy oiling is not the same as moisturizing or conditioning. Your hair needs the moisture first, then the oil helps to hold it in. Also, whenever using baking soda, follow with vinegar or acidic rinse, to correct the pH. And Heidi is correct, the conditioner needs to be left on for at least a few minutes.

Pinkster8
March 12th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Heidi w., I do condition every time I wash but we do have pretty hard water where we live. I am not sure about iron or sulfur in it, either, but the water is so bad that I notice an immediate improvement when I go to the salon in another town that my hair feels better.

As for the baking soda/prell, I did mix it, but not extremely thoroughly but it was pretty bubbly. I just pressed it onto my scalp so I didn't tear up my hair because I have noticed in the past that prell does that to my hair if I'm not careful. I have never tried a vinegar rinse but I will definitely give it a whirl. Do I dilute the vinegar and if so, to what extent?

I will stop using Prell, and hopefully if I remember tonight buy some aloe and ACV, clarify, and then do a SMT. But the hard water issue makes sense, because it has always seemed no matter how long I left conditioner on my hair, it felt no different than leaving on it for a very short time.

Thanks for the input; I will try these things after I work out after school! :)

spidermom
March 12th, 2012, 10:47 AM
The baking soda shampoo may be your problem. It dried my hair out so bad that it kind of matted together, like felt. I couldn't get my fingers or a comb through it for nearly 2 weeks, unless my hair was full of conditioner. I did a conditioner soak on my hair every day, thinking that I'd have to cut all my hair off, it was so bad, but my hair did finally recover.

Alvrodul
March 12th, 2012, 11:35 AM
I also recommend trying a SMT. And perhaps you should clarify before you do it as well. Also, since you have hard water, I would suggest you try vinegar rinses to finish your washing - I lived for a couple of months in a place with extremely hard water, and it had definitely a very bad effect on my hair! If you can get some kind of filter to get rid of the worst of the minerals, it may also help.

Pinkster8
March 13th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Okay, so here's the deal:
I clarified last night with jus regular clarifying shampoo, not prell or baking soda, then did a SMT followed by a vinegar rinse. My hair feels significantly better! :D Not back to normal, but I think the vinegar rinses will definitely help, along with frequent SMTs.
My hair has improved and I couldn't have figured it out without the LHC. Thanks all!! :)

serin blackwood
March 13th, 2012, 12:14 PM
THEN if you like, deep condition such as with SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment). I personally no longer deep condition as it's not really necessary in my situation, but I would advocate Biolage's Conditioning Balm for this process. Just applying conditioner does not mean a "deep" conditioning. It needs to be left on for a bit of time. I've used mayonnaise in the past for this. I have a whole entire way of doing this.

Heidi, would you please tell us about your way of deep conditioning with mayonnaise?
Thanks,
Serin

serin blackwood
March 13th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Heidi, would you please tell us about your way of deep conditioning with mayonnaise?
Thanks,
Serin

Oh, I think I've answered my own question! Is this it?

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=179930&postcount=40

long&blonde
March 13th, 2012, 06:22 PM
I was so grateful you asked Heidi her mayo deep conditioning procedure!
Then I clicked on link and:server too busy:try again later!
I'm smiling right now,imaging all us LHC'ers waiting our turns to read Heidi's mayo conditioning process:while the rest of the world watchs sitcoms and the news. Lol.

serin blackwood
March 13th, 2012, 07:09 PM
I was so grateful you asked Heidi her mayo deep conditioning procedure!
Then I clicked on link and:server too busy:try again later!
I'm smiling right now,imaging all us LHC'ers waiting our turns to read Heidi's mayo conditioning process:while the rest of the world watchs sitcoms and the news. Lol.

I think it's because it's in the archives ... here is the article, I hope heidi doesn't mind...

MAYONNAISE HAIR WASH (Deep Conditioning Treatment) INSTRUCTIONS
mmmm....I just checked my hair journal and it does not have my mayo hair wash instructions:

Key Point: DO THIS WHEN NO ONE CAN SEE YOU. Don't let anyone come over. If S.O. is around, hopefully, they understand your zaniness! (I did it front of my roommates who rolled their eyes, but what do I care?!! )

1) Shampoo hair per normal (with chelating shampoo in your case)
2) ACV if you wish (ACV = Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse) if you like

Take regular full fat Best Foods Mayonnaise and glob on to hair length, then wrap hair length in a bun and place all in a plastic bag (from grocery store & tie front handles together at forehead hairline).

Yes, it smells but when all is complete, your hair will not smell like mayonnaise, I promise.

Rivulets of watered mayo will drip down your neck and such...it's gross, but I'm telling you! this deep conditioning works!

3) Step out of shower.
Wrap old towel around neck to collect globs of rivers.
Wear something you don't care about.

4) Leave on hair for a full 60 minutes. I have left it on for 1.5 hrs at other times. The absolute minimum, if in a bit of a hurry, is 40 minutes; but the longer duration, the better! For this chelating issue with the salt, definitely leave on for a full hour!!!

5) Back in shower: use minimal amount of shampoo (and if have to do it twice or so, that's fine) to rinse out mayo.

6) Then rinse really well with water.

7) Then condition with your normal conditioner, length only. Conditioner on scalp is not good for the skin.

Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse

9) Cool Rinse.

10) Air dry, etc.

Pinkster8
March 14th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Oooohhh I will have to try that mayonnaise treatment! That's my project for this weekend! :D

As for my hair's nasty texture problems, I think I may have found a solution (hopefully!). Yesterday I only conditioned my hair - when I first got in shower to loosen tangles, rinsed and then cleaned my scalp with water and then conditioned again. I followed this with a ACV rinse, then used my normal leave-in and used a few drops of mineral oil on the ends.

I slept with it in a braid and today, my hair. Felt. AMAZING! It was soft, and I had it in a low ponytail and my ends looked pretty blunt for once (that's weird for my hair. Usually when in ponytails the ends look scraggly even though I recently had the ends cut u-shaped). And the best part, I feel like the mineral oil helped hide all my damage. But the ends felt so soft and healthy. Go mineral oil!! :D

I did the same routine tonight, and hopefully this will keep working!

Alvrodul
March 14th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Good to hear that our advice has had a positive effect! :) And I hope your hair will continue to be amazing!
A small recommendation for future experimentation with your routine: Change ONE thing, and stick with this change for a couple of weeks, and if it has a good effect, keep that change. THEN possibly try to change one more thing. Making lots of changes at one time might cause your hair to have a nervous breakdown - and you'll never be able to figure out just what caused your hair to freak out. :p