PDA

View Full Version : Private Message Limits and Recoverability

snowbear
March 7th, 2008, 04:13 PM
The new PM limit is 25 messages, but I have 34. Is there a way to view the messages in our old PM boxes?

I was all ready to delete all my messages, but realized I had some info on there I'd like to recover, if possible. If not, I totally understand, and I'll start fresh.

Stephanie
March 7th, 2008, 04:28 PM
snowbear, try logging in over at http://archive.longhaircommunity.com and see if you can read them from there. Also, your pm count should be higher. Let me check it out...

snowbear
March 7th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I can't read them, since the site notice is still up. I can log in, though.

DavidN
March 7th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I had 47 messages in my old PM box, but I cannot see any of them, and there were a few that I was hoping to save. Perhaps I can try the archive feature.

snowbear
March 7th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I had 47 messages in my old PM box, but I cannot see any of them, and there were a few that I was hoping to save. Perhaps I can try the archive feature.
I tried it, and it didn't work for me. The site notice is still up, which prevents me from accessing anything but the site notice. Did it work for you?

Shermie Girl
March 7th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I am also unable to access any of my PMs. There is nothing in there I really wanted to save and I was planning to just delete them. :)

FrannyG
March 7th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I'm having the same situation. I go to the archives and sign in, but when I click on my PMs I get the site notice.

Like David, I was hoping to save a few PMs, so I'm hesitant to clear out my box.

Stephanie
March 7th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Well, there aren't any messages imported over here, so it's safe to empty your inbox.

I've unlocked the archive, but will be locking it again later tonight as I don't want people using that system instead of this one.

snowbear
March 7th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Steph, you're totally awesome. I'm downloading all my messages and my journal right now.
Hey, is there a lock-all function, so if you kept the archives open, no one could add anything new?

snowbear
March 7th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Okay, so I got all the messages I needed, and then deleted everything. However, here (not the archive) it says I have 34 messages, even though there's nothing in my inbox or outbox. If I click "empty", it still says I have 34 messages, and am 100% full.

I tried to be nice to this new version of the board, but it hates me! :lol:
Is this just a bug?

DavidN
March 7th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Thank you, Stephanie, I REALLY appreciate it! Now I am busy at work saving my precious memories!

wonderlywroughte
March 7th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Snowbear, I'm having the same problem. This version says my pm box 100% full, with 39 total messages. I've gone to the archive and deleted everything out and signed back in here, but it still says it. Ahh!

eadwine
March 7th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Maybe all that is needed is for you to receive one, might trigger it back to health.

Let's try that idea.. *goes to send you one*

Edit: nope:
wonderlywroughte has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

wonderlywroughte
March 7th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Awww, darn! Well, thank you for trying!

PatGear
March 7th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks for opening the archive, Steph. I was able to save my PMs. Wish I could do that with my journal and photo journal as well.

But when I try to empty the new PM box, it still says I have 46 messages. :confused:

Shermie Girl
March 7th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I tried to sign in to the archive and access my PMs but it won't accept either my user name or password, so I can't get in. Strange I can sign in here, but not there...

PseudoScot
March 7th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Thanks for opening the archive, Steph. I was able to save my PMs. Wish I could do that with my journal and photo journal as well.

But when I try to empty the new PM box, it still says I have 46 messages. :confused:

Same here...

Alba-NY
March 7th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I tried to sign in to the archive and access my PMs but it won't accept either my user name or password, so I can't get in. Strange I can sign in here, but not there...
Don't feel too bad... I successfully signed in moments ago, but then it displayed the error message whenever I clicked anywhere.
ooh, wait... I was being bad and clicking on the wrong stuff! I did download my PMs! Thank you Stephanie!

dancingbarefoot
March 7th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Did you delete all the messages from the old PM system after downloading them?

PseudoScot
March 7th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I did... I'll check but I'm sure I did [just added more words to make this a long enough post]

Liluri
March 7th, 2008, 10:12 PM
This is a me too post!

Just to let you know I've saved and deleted my old messages and made sure that my sent message were deleted as well and it's still showing that I have them on the new board.

snowbear
March 7th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I deleted all my messages, and I still get the error. Alas!

Alba-NY
March 7th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Mine were deleted from the archive. Here it is full with 35 messages, but also says it is empty. I emptied it anyway, and no change.

moonchaser
March 7th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Liluri, I just have to say that I LOVE your sig.!

Hairstorm
March 7th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Just found this thread. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

snowbear
March 8th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Interesting note:
If I go to download my alleged 34 PMs to text format, the system says I have no PMs to download. :uhh:

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 12:25 AM
I was able to download them all (both inbox and sent) as txt, went peachy. Deleted them all, logged out. Logged back in here but still says I have 19 stored. *shrug* It'll get sorted out I am sure.

Liluri
March 8th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Liluri, I just have to say that I LOVE your sig.!
Thank you moonchaser :)

Dianyla
March 8th, 2008, 12:50 AM
PM Limits have been fixed - reset to 50 messages. Any of you who were stuck at "100%" because you had more than 25 will now be able to send/receive again.

As soon as you send/receive a PM, the "stored messages" count will get updated in the database and display properly.

No PMs have been moved over from the archive boards to the current boards. You should still be able to log into the archive (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/) and download the PMs there.

snowbear
March 8th, 2008, 01:02 AM
PM Limits have been fixed - reset to 50 messages. Any of you who were stuck at "100%" because you had more than 25 will now be able to send/receive again.

As soon as you send/receive a PM, the "stored messages" count will get updated in the database and display properly.

No PMs have been moved over from the archive boards to the current boards. You should still be able to log into the archive (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/) and download the PMs there.
I sent you a PM, and now I'm all reset! Hooray!

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Perfect! I just PMed myself, and yep, reset. Great!

So I WAS on to something when I mentioned the sending a PM thing :D

Dianyla
March 8th, 2008, 01:18 AM
So I WAS on to something when I mentioned the sending a PM thing :D
Yep, any time you send or receive a PM it updates the "messages stored" value in the database. Unfortunately, that couldn't get updated while the incorrect number of "messages stored" was stuck above the total PM box limit. :)

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Will it be left at 50 now? Or?

Not that I mind it being smaller or larger either way, just wondering :)

Dvips
March 8th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Yup - 50! :)

Delila
March 8th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Hey, It worked! (sorry to crowd your inbox, Dianyla)

pookatrina
March 8th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I can't sign in over there to save my messages. Any suggestions?

ETA: My password wasn't working so I reset it & I'm fine now.