PDA

View Full Version : WHY is every stupid hair on my head always either split or having a white gross tip??

Blackfire
March 11th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Its always been that way, and it doesnt really show up that much since my hair is so curly... I dont s and d very often at all...maybe that would get rid of them?

I wear my hair up, I use all natural and cone free products, I dont use heat....why does it do this???

the splits really dont seem to effect the growth since I have been getting an inch a month since jioning LHC...

Madora
March 11th, 2012, 10:18 AM
It's a lack of moisture problem. Curly hair needs a lot of moisturizing.

Here's Ktani's article on using mineral oil to trap the moisture inside the hair strands:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

ETA: Ktani's article on catnip rinses to combat split ends:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118

jesa
March 12th, 2012, 09:17 PM
I have wavy/curly hair and I take fairly good care of it and I have the same problems. It really does help a ton to trim those ends & splits off when you find/notice them. I keep a sharp pair of hair scissors nearby when I am browsing the internet, I'll sort of subconsciously run my fingers through and usually if I find a snag or snarl there is at least a few there that need to be 'dealt' with that are causing the snarl and I can just hold it up to the bright screen to positively identify the offending splits and breaks.
God help me if I actually go out into natural light to find weak spots on the ends or use a bright lamp inside - there are so many it initially seems overwhelming. I take solace in the fact that every one I trim makes my hair healthier and I'm actually saving that strand from breaking way further up.

Try doing a little S&D every few weeks - it can only help (unless you have dull scissors!)

Maktub
March 12th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Increase moisture
Careful with what and how you tie your hair up
Did you ever use a flat iron or heat tools on that hair in the past ?
How's your nutrition, stress, sleep (and how was it when those hair were growing, ex. 2-3 years ago ?)?
Do you trimm regularly, and what cissors do you use to do so ?
Do you protect hair from sun and wind and cold, etc. ?
How often do you use shampoo on your curls ?
Do you use any coloring products ?

If you have a lot of damage, as you seem to have, the only real solution is often to cut it off.