PDA

View Full Version : Angry with my hair & myself. (Yes, I have pics !)

UltraBella
March 11th, 2012, 04:17 AM
I must be feeling the need for attention because I have several pics I am going to post.......

First off, I am quite unhappy with my hair and I could just strangle myself for that 3am bang cutting episode I had a while back. That was NOT a good idea !!! There are two things that would make me happy with my hair again : if my bangs could just magically *poof* grow out and if I had significantly less hair in general.

I got my daughter a new camera and she was trying it out tonight, I was her test subject in numerous photos and it was fun, even though I felt a bit stalked at times :) When she showed me the pictures I realized how not happy I am when it comes to my hair. (And our indoor lighting...... seriously - my hair is dark ashy blonde but you can't tell !)

Let's start with a length update pic. I cut back to BSL a while ago and now it's past waist again. My ends are curled in this pic so it eats up some of the length.

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/98d16ba7.jpg

Here's my bangs now, when I pull them straight down they touch the top of my lip.

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/e8f80624.jpg

Here's my bangs swept back, like I don't have any, and I like it sooooo much better.

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/6a1639cd.jpg

I know it's going to take quite a while to grow them out and I am just mad that I cut them in the first place.
The other thing I would like to change is how much hair I have in general. My hair is thinned with thinning shears and a razor every time I get it cut and it's still a crazy amount of hair. It's too much. I know plenty of people wish for thicker hair but there comes a point when it's too much and I have reached that point. It's WARM and heavy and because my natural texture is so wavy/frizzy it is a lot to deal with. My daughter had me pose all silly in this next picture, but when I saw it I realized that all the hair in my hands is weighing me down.

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/99e31e47.jpg

It just hangs there and it's not what I want anymore.

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/1ac423ce.jpg

I thought about cutting it to my shortest layer, it's above my shoulder - which you can see well in this next picture - but it still won't solve my problem of all the bulk around my face. I won't do anything until I get back from my vacation, but I am seriously contemplating all my options.

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/7effc91b.jpg

And I am afraid that if I cut it a lot shorter my crown area will go nuts, it is so kinky and crazy frizzy, the length might be helping weigh it down.

I just need a new look and until I figure out what to do, I am going to have to settle for this......

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/1c757a45.jpg

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any suggestions or moral support !

Chibbylick
March 11th, 2012, 04:28 AM
I'm sorry you are not happy with your hair...

I think if you went shorter (like to your shortest layer) you'd expose more curls, and might need to alter your routine to avoid triangle head, and frizz. On the other hand if you went short and didn't like it, it would not take long to grow right back to long again.
I'd suggest pretty hair toys to pull back your x-bangs, and lots of up-do's while you make a decision... 2 week rule applies :D

I also need to say I'm jealous! I love your growth rate, and your curl pattern, and your access to great stylists! Just goes to show that for some strange reason we tend not be happy with what we have, and to want what someone else has... silly human nature!

coneyisland
March 11th, 2012, 04:34 AM
I think your hair always looks great. And its thickness is enviable! Hope you will come around to liking it much more very soon. :)

Pecheresse
March 11th, 2012, 05:07 AM
Oh Woman you're beautiful stop being so self conscious... -.-

Venefica
March 11th, 2012, 05:09 AM
I think your hair looks good, it might need a good brushing in some of those pictures but don't we all. Your hair is pretty, many would be jealous of your hair.

Noas
March 11th, 2012, 05:15 AM
UltraBella, you and your hair are beautifull, really. Your hair seems a bit similair to mine, but wow, yours is so shiny and bouncy, i love the movement and body your hair seems to have, i would die for it:p
I've seen pictures of you before and you seem to wear it down a lot?
Do the layers not add to the volume or poof(i mean this in a good way) to your hair?

I'm really jealous of such fast growth. I'm growing out my bangs for 2 years now and they only just hit my shoulder.

Good luck with what you decide:)

UltraBella
March 11th, 2012, 05:17 AM
Oh Woman you're beautiful stop being so self conscious... -.-

I am not even remotely self-conscious - I may actually be a bit too self confident at times - but that doesn't mean that I can't want a change. I am simply over having to deal with this much hair. I don't want it anymore, I want to be free of it.

I want to quit having my hair in a bun 24/7 because it's too hot to wear loose.

Noas, without the layers my hair just hangs lifeless and heavy, the layers help with movement and "bounce" tremendously, I am just finding that it still feels like a chore to deal with it. I don't wear it down that often, it's very warm and I feel like my head is too hot to be comfortable the majority of the time.

vanity_acefake
March 11th, 2012, 05:47 AM
UB you know how much I adore your hair.
You have the thickness that Hollywood stars want and add extensions to achieve. :)
I know how hot our hair becomes even though I don't have hair as thick as yours, I do have lots of fine hair and the heat on my head in summer can be unbearable.
I have no advice (sorry), just support and I'm sure whatever you decide to do I'm sure you will look fabulous.

turtlelover
March 11th, 2012, 06:24 AM
I love your hair, and to be honest, it is sort of hard to muster up much empathy since I want more thickness, etc! We are only young once, and in the end, many of us lose hair thickness, etc. that we had when young, and find out too late just how fortunate we were to have had the "problems" we had before! But, in the end, I suppose YOU loving your hair is the important thing. Just think it through before you do anything drastic that you will regret. Enough said. I'm probably coming across as pretty negative here as it is.

Jemoiselle
March 11th, 2012, 06:24 AM
I've always thought of your hair as unbelievably beautiful, among the most beautiful I have ever seen in my entire life, and as someone with thin baby fine hair so thin I am having trouble even covering a bun pillow, I cannot imagine how you feel but offer my sympathies in knowing how it feels to want something other than what we have! :( I hope you find something that makes your heart sing soon! Since I know nothing about thick hair, the only suggestion I can make is perhaps to layer it higher up, all around? All though, you said you didn't want more bulk around your face, so I don't know if the weight that would take off would make it worth it. I did that once in an attempt to get more body and more style before I became obsessed with growing it out LOL, my shortest layers were cut thick and started around my upper cheekbones and went all the way down, all around. It looked cute and my hair felt way lighter than it already was. I know you are quite the stylist/beauty expert, so you really are the person who is most qualified to make suggestions though, not me! :)

I know anything you do to your hair will be unbelievably beautiful. I'm so sorry you're feeling sad :( I do like your bangs too, by the way. Both ways look nice, you can't lose! In the end, you've just got to do what makes you happy. I hope you figure it out soon, enjoy your vacation and remember, I bet 99% of the gals here would do nearly anything for your gorgeous hair! :D

Ishje
March 11th, 2012, 06:31 AM
I think the bangs look cut on you :) but if you don't like them you should grow them out of course :)

now, you could cut your hair short, but if you cut it to above shoulder length it will be more difficult to put it in an updo, then you will have your hair in your face nearly all day.

XcaliburGirl
March 11th, 2012, 06:47 AM
I think if you really want to cut it, you should cut back to APL and leave it there a few weeks before going above shoulder. I found that APL still acts like long hair but there's just a lot less of it. My hair isn't as thick as yours but between the chin-shoulder halfway point and the shoulder-APL halfway point, it really poofs out.

Arya
March 11th, 2012, 06:49 AM
I'm just wondering...what if you did tree braids on yourself? But instead of adding hair in ever few turns, you just pulled a strand of your own hair out every few turns? It would temporarily shorten your hair, and I'm thinking it might allow you to completely control how much volume/bulk you want to be around your face by controlling how much hair you release from the braids. I'm guessing it would feel a lot lighter. I'm just thinking out loud, I don't know if that's how it would work, but it certainly seems possible.

jacqueline101
March 11th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Your hair looks beautiful.

MonaLisa
March 11th, 2012, 07:26 AM
I only want to say that I LOVE all the pictures! So beautiful and fun! :D

I won't comment about you contemplating to cut your hair or your not-so-nice words about it, because it won't be KNIT ;)
If it was in my power, I would not allow you to do anything :flower:

MonaLisa
March 11th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Oh, and another thing!
I always thought bangs were a mistake too! Luckyly at this point they probably aren't such an issue, and will grow in no time.
I always thought as I grew out my bangs a few times - when they reach my lips - phewww it's not so horrible anymore :)

Aveyronnaise
March 11th, 2012, 07:32 AM
First of all I will be making a mustache on a stick this week.

Secondly, as someone with way more hair than one person needs I can offer a bit of sympathy. I would also say go no shorter than APL shoulder length on me has to be thinned out. to look non giant triangle.
I really only like my hair long or basically shaved with fringe and side pieces.
One thing that you can be thankful for as far as the hot thing goes is this... at least it's not black like mine. I once tried to bleach my hair when it was about 2 inches long it was about 50 degrees cooler.
Now it's a heat sink.
Oh well , it's good for my hair , because i usually wear it up most of the time in the summer . shrugs.

Aveyronnaise
March 11th, 2012, 07:33 AM

Secondly, as someone with way more hair than one person needs I can offer a bit of sympathy. I would also say go no shorter than APL shoulder length on me has to be thinned out. to look non giant triangle.
I really only like my hair long or basically shaved with fringe and side pieces.
One thing that you can be thankful for as far as the hot thing goes is this... at least it's not black like mine. I once tried to bleach my hair when it was about 2 inches long it was about 50 degrees cooler.
Now it's a heat sink.
Oh well , it's good for my hair , because i usually wear it up most of the time in the summer . shrugs.

lapushka
March 11th, 2012, 08:18 AM
The other thing I would like to change is how much hair I have in general. My hair is thinned with thinning shears and a razor every time I get it cut and it's still a crazy amount of hair. It's too much. I know plenty of people wish for thicker hair but there comes a point when it's too much and I have reached that point. It's WARM and heavy and because my natural texture is so wavy/frizzy it is a lot to deal with.
(...)
It just hangs there and it's not what I want anymore.

This is one of those pre-bang cutting moments, I think. Just think about it long and hard before you go on another drastic hair cutting spree. Your hair is wonderful. I love it, and it's gorgeous. Maybe have it cut back to BSL first, and -I don't know- have it thinned out or razored slightly more than in your previous cut, see what that does.

Kelikea
March 11th, 2012, 08:32 AM
I like the bangs. And bangs means a little less hair in the bulk/length. Your hair is seeming to overwhelm you a little bit. I think you should cut the length, but not the shortest layers. Maybe go back to just above waist or BSL. Your hair grows so fast that the length will be back in no time if you don't like it. But I think cutting it shorter or the shorter layers will make it too poofy. BSL/wasit is a pretty manageable length to wear down, IMO.

PrairieRose
March 11th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the great pictures, I love them!
I understand about the whole bang thing, since I am trying to grow out bangs too! It stinks!:tbear: But that is where our similarities end. My hair is nowhere near your length or thickness (only in my dreams:crush: )
I do agree that you should wait it out a little just to make sure a cut is really what you want. If after a few weeks you still want to cut then I say go for it! Do what you need to in order to enjoy your hair!:D

Vanilla
March 11th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Would you consider a cut at about APL? My hair isn't nearly as thick and heavy as yours, but I also got layers put it and it thinned for movement many times. APL hair still felt long to me and it was a lot lighter than BSL or waist.

Guenever
March 11th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Oh man, we could switch manes ANY day! :p My 3,2" for your 5,8"? DEAL.
I know this is probably the last thing you want to hear, but if I had your bounce, wave pattern, thickness and length I could die a happy woman :D

Okay, back on track: I'm sorry to hear that you're not enjoying your hair... that's DEFINITELY not the point of growing long... so if a shorter length is what would make you happy, then that's the way to go :) I do agree with others about considering APL to avoid a possible "cone-head"-situation..
No matter what you do, I'm sure it'll look great on you!

xoxophelia
March 11th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Hmm.. have you thought about Thermal Reconditioning? Just throwing it out there as an option because I had it done last time I was in Japan (a few years ago) and it cut the body of my hair, made it smoother, and much easier to handle. My hair can get really big because it has a lot of body naturally and then you throw in humidity and *_*... it was really nice while it lasted. The added bonus was super shine.

My hair was virgin when it was done so I am not sure if having highlighted/color treated hair would make a difference but it is worth looking into :)

Maverick494
March 11th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Utrabella, at the rate your hair is growing, your bangs will grow out practically overnight. I was at waist when you cut back to BSL. I am still mostly at waist while you have grown back all you cut off. If my hair could grow that fast, damn I would be happy. I cut my bangs on a whim about 4/5 months ago and they've almost grown out. There are also lots of easy ways of pinning them back. Question: how tall are you? I'm just wondering because of your insane growth rate.

UltraBella
March 11th, 2012, 10:09 AM
UB you know how much I adore your hair.
You have the thickness that Hollywood stars want and add extensions to achieve. :)
I know how hot our hair becomes even though I don't have hair as thick as yours, I do have lots of fine hair and the heat on my head in summer can be unbearable.
I have no advice (sorry), just support and I'm sure whatever you decide to do I'm sure you will look fabulous.

Thank you, it really can be uncomfortable.

I love your hair, and to be honest, it is sort of hard to muster up much empathy since I want more thickness, etc! We are only young once, and in the end, many of us lose hair thickness, etc. that we had when young, and find out too late just how fortunate we were to have had the "problems" we had before! But, in the end, I suppose YOU loving your hair is the important thing. Just think it through before you do anything drastic that you will regret. Enough said. I'm probably coming across as pretty negative here as it is.

I am 35 and I haven't lost any thickness yet but I think it might be quite hereditary for me. My mom is going to be 70 and although her hair has thinned some, she still has more hair than most women. It still grows almost an inch a month as well, which she finds incredibly annoying because she keeps her hair short and she has to trim it every four weeks, it used to be every three, so I guess her growth has slowed down some with age, but still faster than average.

I've always thought of your hair as unbelievably beautiful, among the most beautiful I have ever seen in my entire life, and as someone with thin baby fine hair so thin I am having trouble even covering a bun pillow, I cannot imagine how you feel but offer my sympathies in knowing how it feels to want something other than what we have! :( I hope you find something that makes your heart sing soon! Since I know nothing about thick hair, the only suggestion I can make is perhaps to layer it higher up, all around? All though, you said you didn't want more bulk around your face, so I don't know if the weight that would take off would make it worth it. I did that once in an attempt to get more body and more style before I became obsessed with growing it out LOL, my shortest layers were cut thick and started around my upper cheekbones and went all the way down, all around. It looked cute and my hair felt way lighter than it already was. I know you are quite the stylist/beauty expert, so you really are the person who is most qualified to make suggestions though, not me! :)

I know anything you do to your hair will be unbelievably beautiful. I'm so sorry you're feeling sad :( I do like your bangs too, by the way. Both ways look nice, you can't lose! In the end, you've just got to do what makes you happy. I hope you figure it out soon, enjoy your vacation and remember, I bet 99% of the gals here would do nearly anything for your gorgeous hair! :D

Thank you so much. I really do want to enjoy my hair again. I appreciate your response.

cleanbug
March 11th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Hi there, first of all you & your hair are stunning. However, i totally get the being tired of long heavy hair. I was deliberating cutting some length off since november and even posted a thread about it. I could not stop thinking about it & finally on Friday, i got my 13 year old daughter to trim my hemline. It was 28" before & about an inch past my bra strap. Now it is 25" and about an inch above my bra strap. I could tell immediatly, that i was liking the difference. For me 3" made all the difference in the world! I didn't want short hair (had that for years) but i was tired of it getting stuck in purse straps, seat belts, armpits & pinned between my back & the chair. My hair still looks pretty long or medium length but i can't believe how much easier & managible it is. I knew i would go to the salon to tidy up my layers but i somehow felt more secure having my daughter trim the initial length. Later in the day, I went to the salon & had a few layers cut in & the hemline evened out but for me it was a win win! If your hair grows really fast and you are really tired of it, i would go to just past the shoulder & see how you like it. i can still do all the ponytails & twin braids for the gym. I would have a hard time doing a bun with my ketylos hair sticks but i can still do buns with an elastic & bobby pins. anyway, all the best!

UltraBella
March 11th, 2012, 10:39 AM
I'm just wondering...what if you did tree braids on yourself? But instead of adding hair in ever few turns, you just pulled a strand of your own hair out every few turns? It would temporarily shorten your hair, and I'm thinking it might allow you to completely control how much volume/bulk you want to be around your face by controlling how much hair you release from the braids. I'm guessing it would feel a lot lighter. I'm just thinking out loud, I don't know if that's how it would work, but it certainly seems possible.

I don't know what tree braids are but I am going to find out ;)

Oh, and another thing!
I always thought bangs were a mistake too! Luckyly at this point they probably aren't such an issue, and will grow in no time.
I always thought as I grew out my bangs a few times - when they reach my lips - phewww it's not so horrible anymore :)

Lol, I do admit giving a big sigh of relief that I sweep them to the side now. The top lip length is still so short though ! Ugh, I don't know why I did that to myself......

Now it's a heat sink.

Thank you for sympathizing !!!! I can't imagine how hot black hair would be ! I never really thought about that aspect.

I like the bangs. And bangs means a little less hair in the bulk/length. Your hair is seeming to overwhelm you a little bit. I think you should cut the length, but not the shortest layers. Maybe go back to just above waist or BSL. Your hair grows so fast that the length will be back in no time if you don't like it. But I think cutting it shorter or the shorter layers will make it too poofy. BSL/wasit is a pretty manageable length to wear down, IMO.

I agree with you, I really am overwhelmed by all this hair, that's a perfect description. Thank you.

Oh man, we could switch manes ANY day! :p My 3,2" for your 5,8"? DEAL.
I know this is probably the last thing you want to hear, but if I had your bounce, wave pattern, thickness and length I could die a happy woman :D

Okay, back on track: I'm sorry to hear that you're not enjoying your hair... that's DEFINITELY not the point of growing long... so if a shorter length is what would make you happy, then that's the way to go :) I do agree with others about considering APL to avoid a possible "cone-head"-situation..
No matter what you do, I'm sure it'll look great on you!

Thank you for this, I sometimes feel like my hair frustration isn't taken seriously. I know it's thick and it's pretty and so many here would trade me for it, but it doesn't change the fact that I am no longer enjoying it.

Hmm.. have you thought about Thermal Reconditioning? Just throwing it out there as an option because I had it done last time I was in Japan (a few years ago) and it cut the body of my hair, made it smoother, and much easier to handle. My hair can get really big because it has a lot of body naturally and then you throw in humidity and *_*... it was really nice while it lasted. The added bonus was super shine.

My hair was virgin when it was done so I am not sure if having highlighted/color treated hair would make a difference but it is worth looking into :)

I have heard of it but I have not encountered any places near me that offer it as a service. I am off to read a bit more about it, thanks !

Utrabella, at the rate your hair is growing, your bangs will grow out practically overnight. I was at waist when you cut back to BSL. I am still mostly at waist while you have grown back all you cut off. If my hair could grow that fast, damn I would be happy. I cut my bangs on a whim about 4/5 months ago and they've almost grown out. There are also lots of easy ways of pinning them back. Question: how tall are you? I'm just wondering because of your insane growth rate.

I am 5'5" in height, I think that's about average. I swear my bangs grow excruciatingly slowly, but it may just be because I am so impatient to be rid of them.

TO EVERYONE ELSE, I have read every response and I appreciate them. Many suggested APL and it's definitely something to take into consideration. I do not want the dreaded triangle head ! I am going to go find some pics of styles I am considering so I can post them.

>>> I appreciate that so many of you LIKE my hair but please try to understand that *I* don't right now and wishing you had hair this thick and actually dealing with hair this thick on a daily basis are totally different. It's easy to dismiss my frustration but it's no different than anyone else who has something about their hair that they are unhappy with and want to change.

Amber_Maiden
March 11th, 2012, 10:57 AM
I have very VERY thick hair, like you. It's either the same thickness, or more... not sure what at your ponytail measurement is, but mine is just over 6in!!!

I get the heavy feeling you describe, so to combat it I put my hair up... It still feels heavy of course, but I don't feel like my hair is devouring me.

Even when my hi was shorter- should length, it was heavy... I think that's just the way thick hair is. I get it thinned, and layered, and that's about all I can do about mine...

No advice that you have already tried :(

spidermom
March 11th, 2012, 11:08 AM
You seemed really happy with it the last time it was freshly cut - BSL with lots of layers. Now it's all grown out; most of us don't like our hair after it grows out from a good cut, unless - of course - we want to grow it out.

jeanniet
March 11th, 2012, 11:10 AM
UB, I understand just what you're saying. My hair is fairly thick now postmenopause, but when I was younger, especially about the time my kids were born (30s), it was really thick and very frustrating to deal with. Overwhelming is really a good word for it. There was just SO much of it, and it was hard to detangle and hard to style. Over probably the last 20 years I've lost just enough thickness to make it easier to handle, although it's been very gradual and I didn't really notice it.

The problem is that if you lose too much length, you get too much volume. I always had a lot of layers to take weight off, but then I had too much poof. So I wouldn't go too short and light, but maybe somewhere between APL and BSL? You really liked BSL, so why not maintain there?

I also hear you on the bangs. I actually wouldn't mind having the bang look, but I know from experience that I just cannot stand having anything hanging in my face like that, so every time I think about cutting in bangs I have to remind myself that they'll start driving me crazy from Day 1. But yours look really cute...no! (slaps hand) No bangs! :D

ETA: Just wanted to add that I don't live in a humid summer area. I did live in Rio for a year as a teenager and you can imagine what that was like hairwise. I spent the entire time with my hair in a ponytail, lol. If I lived in a humid area now I'd probably shave my head. The rainy winters here are bad enough!

UltraBella
March 11th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I have very VERY thick hair, like you. It's either the same thickness, or more... not sure what at your ponytail measurement is, but mine is just over 6in!!!

I get the heavy feeling you describe, so to combat it I put my hair up... It still feels heavy of course, but I don't feel like my hair is devouring me.

Even when my hi was shorter- should length, it was heavy... I think that's just the way thick hair is. I get it thinned, and layered, and that's about all I can do about mine...

No advice that you have already tried :(

Thank you. Pictures can be so deceiving, your thickness looks so much more manageable than mine. To me, in pictures your hair looks perfect, nice and thick but not too thick.

My layers are much heavier than yours, I wish I could just layer more but at this length I can't get them any shorter, and I am not sure it would really solve my issue anyway. I think going quite a bit shorter and then re-layering to avoid triangle head is probably my best bet. I am just worried that my crown area will completely freak out, the texture is entirely different than the rest of my hair. I have an afro in that area, lol.

turtlelover
March 11th, 2012, 11:18 AM
I do agree that triangle head is much less likely at APL than at shoulder length. Maybe trying APL w/ a lot of layers would be a good idea. Shoulder and above plus wavy hair is a recipe for POOF!!! It sounds like BSL was still too heavy and frustrating, so maybe APL would get rid of enough weight to make more of a difference.

UltraBella
March 11th, 2012, 11:21 AM
You seemed really happy with it the last time it was freshly cut - BSL with lots of layers. Now it's all grown out; most of us don't like our hair after it grows out from a good cut, unless - of course - we want to grow it out.

True !! I did like it sooooo much better. I can't help but wonder if I would have liked it even more if I would have gone shorter :D

UB, I understand just what you're saying. My hair is fairly thick now postmenopause, but when I was younger, especially about the time my kids were born (30s), it was really thick and very frustrating to deal with. Overwhelming is really a good word for it. There was just SO much of it, and it was hard to detangle and hard to style. Over probably the last 20 years I've lost just enough thickness to make it easier to handle, although it's been very gradual and I didn't really notice it.

The problem is that if you lose too much length, you get too much volume. I always had a lot of layers to take weight off, but then I had too much poof. So I wouldn't go too short and light, but maybe somewhere between APL and BSL? You really liked BSL, so why not maintain there?

I also hear you on the bangs. I actually wouldn't mind having the bang look, but I know from experience that I just cannot stand having anything hanging in my face like that, so every time I think about cutting in bangs I have to remind myself that they'll start driving me crazy from Day 1. But yours look really cute...no! (slaps hand) No bangs! :D

ETA: Just wanted to add that I don't live in a humid summer area. I did live in Rio for a year as a teenager and you can imagine what that was like hairwise. I spent the entire time with my hair in a ponytail, lol. If I lived in a humid area now I'd probably shave my head. The rainy winters here are bad enough!

Thank you so much, it's so nice to know I am not the only one !!! And next time I feel the urge or bangs, I am coming back and reading this thread. A virtual hand slap is really helpful sometimes.

PrairieRose
March 11th, 2012, 11:32 AM
If you did like your hair much better when it was BSL with a lot of layers, why don't you start there. At least it a place where you already know you like it. Then if you still feel the need to cut you can go from there. Cutting too much at one time may be a mistake.

Vanille_
March 11th, 2012, 11:39 AM
http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/e8f80624.jpg

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/6a1639cd.jpg

Your hair would look perfect at this length. These pictures look amazing.

Amber_Maiden
March 11th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Thank you. Pictures can be so deceiving, your thickness looks so much more manageable than mine. To me, in pictures your hair looks perfect, nice and thick but not too thick.

My layers are much heavier than yours, I wish I could just layer more but at this length I can't get them any shorter, and I am not sure it would really solve my issue anyway. I think going quite a bit shorter and then re-layering to avoid triangle head is probably my best bet. I am just worried that my crown area will completely freak out, the texture is entirely different than the rest of my hair. I have an afro in that area, lol.

You have no idea how much oil I use during the week to make it look manageable! I use like a tablespoon of oil after showering, and about 40 drops each day I don't shower! It helps my hair lie a bit flatter, I find. :) If i don't do that- then it does look like I have a huge lion's mane! :D

einna
March 11th, 2012, 11:45 AM
I have much less hair than you, but I think I get how you feel. My ponytail circ is around 4" and my hair is naturally poofy and wavy. This just about how much hair I can handle, and I would not want any more thickness, that would be totally overwhelming. I think the APL with layers and some thinning shears would be good. If not, it will grow. :) Good luck!

UltraBella
March 11th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Here are some of the styles I am considering :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/a1f84b54.jpg

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/213f9d2d.jpg

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/b56f8c41.jpg

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/4f4f366f.jpg

WITHOUT BANGS THIS WOULD BE PRETTY ON ME, I THINK :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/e9ae257e.jpg

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/117ae2d0.jpg

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/0a7f98a3.jpg

ALSO WITHOUT AS MUCH BANG :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/2a3c0432.jpg

Schefflera
March 11th, 2012, 11:52 AM
You know, occasionally I think I should bookmark threads like this, where people with thicker/longer/fancier/whatever hair than mine describe the challenges involved. Not out of schadenfreude, but so that if I start to feel envious or self-conscious over people with twice as much hair as I have lamenting its scantiness, I'll remember to be grateful that while I do think my face would be better complemented by a smidge more volume around the scalp, my hair is reasonably well behaved and only tries to smother me once in a while in the summer. *grin*

I think you look lovely, including your hair, and as you know vastly more than I do about what it's likely to do when shorter, I will not presume to make any recommendations. (Except that as you did say you aren't actually sure what it will do, proceeding in stages does seem logical.)

Toadstool
March 11th, 2012, 11:54 AM
UltraBella, I totally empathise.
My solution has been to go very short though, and to have it uber-thinned. I imagine you don't want really short hair, for some reason.
Hope you have a FABULOUS holiday!

Kaya
March 11th, 2012, 12:06 PM
I'm afraid I can't offer too much advice. My hair isn't as thick and long as yours, but I can sympathize how hot and heavy it can become, especially in the famous Southern heat and humidity. :rolleyes: Add the fact that I have black hair and I swear sometimes I could fry an egg on my head! :D

I say do what will make you happy and comfortable. Personally, I think you'd totally rock those shorter styles! :rockerdud

dulce
March 11th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Your hair is so beautiful!!Am sorry you're not happy with it,if it was my hair I wouldn't change a thing.But,maybe a cut back to BSL again would reduce some weight?The layers in your hair are to die for.

MagicAndMayhem
March 11th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Late night hair cutting episode? That sounds like me last night at 6 AM......I don't have much advice, but I feel your agony :p

spidermom
March 11th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Do you mind having to do a lot of heat styling? Some of the styles you shared are going to require it. If you hair is anything like mine, the shorter it goes, the wider it becomes, and all I can do to take it from cloud of hair to style is apply heat (a wide-barrel curling iron or flat iron).
Perhaps you remember this picture:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/BOONEW.jpg

That's just above shoulder length with layers, naturally air dried (because I was busy that morning; my goth niece did the makeup).

The cut was pretty similar to picture #6 that you posted.

Amber_Maiden
March 11th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Do you mind having to do a lot of heat styling? Some of the styles you shared are going to require it. If you hair is anything like mine, the shorter it goes, the wider it becomes, and all I can do to take it from cloud of hair to style is apply heat (a wide-barrel curling iron or flat iron).
Perhaps you remember this:

That's just above shoulder length with layers, naturally air dried (because I was busy that morning; my goth niece did the makeup).

I know this probably won't help much... but I remember that when I straightened my hair it was MUCH lighter feeling.

spidermom
March 11th, 2012, 12:46 PM
I don't remember my hair feeling lighter after I straightened it, but it certainly looked less weighty.

PrairieRose
March 11th, 2012, 12:48 PM
I like the first, third and fifth picture. They are all nice but those are my favorites.
That is a good point Spidermom had about heat styling, something to think about.:)

Amber_Maiden
March 11th, 2012, 12:49 PM
I don't remember my hair feeling lighter after I straightened it, but it certainly looked less weighty.

Yes, it looks less weighty as well... I wonder why it always makes my hair feel lighter? hmmm..

Quixii
March 11th, 2012, 12:49 PM
I think you and your hair are totally gorgeous, but I can understand wanting a change.
I fear that if you cut to above your shoulder, you'd end up with the oft-talked about "triangle head," and actually not be happy with your hair at all! One of my friends who has very thick hair recently cut it into a pixie, and even that short, you can tell it's thick. I'm afraid there's no escaping it. :(
Fortunately, growing out bangs is fairly easy. They're at the length even now that you can just bobby pin them back and forget about. :)

UltraBella
March 11th, 2012, 12:50 PM
SPIDERMOM, that cracks me up every time I see it. And it scares me a little bit, lol.
I think the trick is in the type of layering and the kind I have in mind should work fairly well with my hair texture and will give the shape I am wanting. If I were wearing it down, I wouldn't mind applying a bit of heat to just the crazy frizzy section, the rest of my hair is nice, smooth waves. all of the styles I used as examples would look lovely with my beloved Caruso Hairsetter as well.

Thnak you, QUIXII, I think the triangle head issue would be difficult considering all the layering I am leaning towards. The bulk just won't be there to form a triangle, I wouldn't like that at all !

spidermom
March 11th, 2012, 12:52 PM
I'm going to have to get one of those Caruso hair setters. Well, I guess it wouldn't do me any good as long as I wear my hair this long; the weight pulls curls out. But if/when I cut back ... I'd love to have one of those sets.

torrilin
March 11th, 2012, 01:04 PM
True !! I did like it sooooo much better. I can't help but wonder if I would have liked it even more if I would have gone shorter :D.

When did you do the BSL trim? I think maybe it was around this time last year?

That says to me that for right now, reworking your cut back to a variation on that, and then SCHEDULING YOUR MAINTENANCE TRIMS is a good way to go. You own a salon, no way you should be missing out on maintenance trims :D. You can schedule them as often as you like. If I'm seriously maintaining, I usually would go for every 4 to 6 weeks. If you don't mind more growth in between, 8 or 12 work too, but you sound so pissed off and unhappy right now that I'd lean towards 4.

BSL for now, and then next trim, you'll have had plenty of time to think over APL vs BSL vs shoulder. More importantly, your stylist will have had time to think it over. You could even go up to a more Curly Girl style chin length bob if you wanted... it'd be a lot of upkeep in trim terms, but I'm sure you'd look adorable.

I think once your bang layer is just past your chin, you'll probably be a lot happier with it as a regular layer. And that isn't far off!

jeanniet
March 11th, 2012, 01:05 PM
I think anything above APL is going to be too short for you. The shorter styles you're showing are really cute, but those models most likely have much less hair than you do and had to have volume added to give them that look, whereas you'd have the opposite problem. I would be really careful. Cut to BSL or a couple of inches above, and see what you think, and then if you need to, cut shorter inch by inch until you find the right length.

mora
March 11th, 2012, 01:10 PM
UltraBella, I totally empathise.
My solution has been to go very short though, and to have it uber-thinned. I imagine you don't want really short hair, for some reason.
Hope you have a FABULOUS holiday!

Even at my thickest and without any layers, I didn't have nearly much hair as you do, UltraBella, but I tend to agree with Toadstool. Right now I am so over my hair but don't remember it being much better except at really short lengths (ears and entire neck exposed).

Perhaps you remember this picture:

The cut was pretty similar to picture #6 that you posted.

This really is something to consider. For me, any length between pretty short (as described above) and APL tended to turn really puffy. I'm not sure how much it could be fixed with different layering or cutting because the same stylist did my cuts at all those lengths. You are your stylist are very talented, though, so I'm sure if it is possible, you can figure it out. My hair really should have been styled daily in that length range, too; it really couldn't be pulled back properly or put into updos. I imagine that would be even harder with your thickness.

Maybe you could get an undercut to help with the volume if you go for one of the shorter cuts since you might not be able to put it up much anyways. I've also considered a mullet-like long cut (http://www.nitrolicious.com/blog/wp-gallery/0307/ck_korea/ck_hyori_lee_01.jpg). This would also get rid of my more coarse and puffy outer (canopy?) hair but I think the very short parts wouldn't lay correctly on my head.

UltraBella
March 11th, 2012, 01:34 PM
When did you do the BSL trim? I think maybe it was around this time last year?

I think it was the end of May ? I did it after I returned from the Bahamas, which was the beginning of May.

Joliebaby
March 11th, 2012, 01:34 PM
I really like the one on that Felicity-actress ;) Some of the others are nice too but hers just looks really cute.

I see I'm in the minority but for my thick, wavy-wurly hair layers work very well at shorter lengths, and I NEVER style my hair in any way and usually go to bed with wet hair too ;) Honestly, this is as easy as it gets with my hair. I can still make a small ponytail too if I want to.. I used to intentionally keep my hair above shoulders and layered for years.

Yes, my hair is poofy and a bit wild, but I like it like that ;) I guess many people don't? So I wouldn't dare to outright recommend this style to anyone else.

Now, if only my hair grew an inch a month too..

Okay here's the pic of my new cut as per request:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=128307&albumid=6270&dl=1331319234&thumb=1

eadwine
March 11th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Honestly.. whichever style you pick, I would definitely go with some sort of bangs, it makes the forehead less large and the face + hair more in proportion. I want no bangs as well, but my face gets LOOOOONG if I do that.. so.. bangs there always will be.

Simply start at around BSL, that length looks lovely on you, given those pictures where the cut off lay around there :)

UltraBella
March 11th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Good thing for my stylist being stubborn, I just sent her a text message and told her I would pay her a rediculous amount of money to cut my hair off RIGHT NOW. She declined and told me I will have to schedule an appointment for when I get back from my trip, lol. It would be so much less hair to take care of on the sailboat though, that was my reasoning....... but it's really probably more because I like instant gratification. I am curious to see what she will think of the styles I am considering since she is so used to working with my hair specifically.

Lici1209
March 11th, 2012, 01:44 PM
You and your hair are stunning! Sorry, no advice about thickness and stuff, but it is BEAUTIFUL!

UltraBella
March 11th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I really like the one on that Felicity-actress ;) Some of the others are nice too but hers just looks really cute.

I see I'm in the minority but for my thick, wavy-wurly hair layers work very well at shorter lengths, and I NEVER style my hair in any way and usually go to bed with wet hair too ;) Honestly, this is as easy as it gets with my hair. I can still make a small ponytail too if I want to.. I used to intentionally keep my hair above shoulders and layered for years.

Yes, my hair is poofy and a bit wild, but I like it like that ;) I guess many people don't? So I wouldn't dare to outright recommend this style to anyone else.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=128307&albumid=6270&dl=1331319234&thumb=1

The difference between this cut and your profile pic is huge, this is exactly what I am talking about, you have eliminated the triangle and it looks wonderful :)

Joliebaby
March 11th, 2012, 01:56 PM

ratgirldjh
March 11th, 2012, 01:59 PM
YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFUL and so is your hair!!!

I think it is a case of the grass is always greener!!! I wish I had hair problems like that!!!

I must say I like your bangs!

My friend has very long thick hair like yours and she says that cutting bangs really helps take away some of the thickness.

I like the short cut too - but beware it might stick out like a triangle when it gets to your shoulders! That is what mine is doing right now!!!

dragaica
March 11th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Everybody loves your hair - me included -whatever you do- you're still beautiful - so don't dispare.
I have similar problems:
But- the bangs... i've made the same mistake - they will grow - I like you better the old way- but they are nice, and a change is good :)

The layers... that a problemm i"ve not solved yet.
The more you do , the shorter layes get- the more hair you'll have - not in a good way.
The picture in you're avatar is fantastic, so try do to it again....
To level all you're hair can be a great loss:tmi:, and a good idea:D- so think twice - but don't do more layers please, or shorter ones....

pink.sara
March 11th, 2012, 02:02 PM
I can understand where you are with not loving your hair anymore, it being so hot/heavy/time consuming was a main reason I cut to a bob.

I'd say, really annoyingly probably, to cut back to BSL, razor the bejeezus out of it then see if you want to go further!

All of the styles will look lovely with your texture and I really like the idea of the Cheryl Cole look with your face shape.

Patience UB! Get someone to hide those scissors ;)

dragaica
March 11th, 2012, 02:03 PM
and think CHANGE IS GOOD - HAIR GROWS - YOU'RE FANTASTIC AND BEAUTIFUL.:violin:

Flame3345
March 11th, 2012, 02:04 PM
You're beautiful and i'm certain that any hairstyle will look good on you :D

spidermom
March 11th, 2012, 02:05 PM
I disagree with your stylist. I think a new shorter style would be a lot easier to manage during vacation.

torrilin
March 11th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I disagree with your stylist. I think a new shorter style would be a lot easier to manage during vacation.

Oh it probably would be. But it's not fair to the stylist to make her work on an off day or just squeeze in a haircut and maybe not do her best work. But I'm sure they can manage to work something out :). Ultrabella's a classy lady, and I'm sure her stylist is classy too.

And eventually we'll get peeeeeeeeeectorz!!!

spidermom
March 11th, 2012, 03:51 PM
True, and on the other hand, all that sea and sun is likely to trash your ends. Best trash old ends than new ones.

mora
March 11th, 2012, 04:00 PM

Thanks for posting this pic. I guess the right cut can be found for any length. At that length, my hair was somewhere between your avatar and the picture that spidermom posted and probably closer to the latter. The stylist tended to flat iron my hair afterwards around that length so she probably was expecting me to do a polished look, which is usually not my preference.

Arya
March 11th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Ah, why did I not think of Thermal Reconditioning/Japanese Straight perm?
It's pretty processing but people who love it *LOVE IT*. It gives you pin straight hair until it grows out, and makes it super shiny. It looks like you just finished flat ironing your hair every day. You gotta go with someone who has the Liscio or Yuko system though.

heidi w.
March 11th, 2012, 04:04 PM
To be honest, the first photo alarmed me somewhat. Then it all came together when a certain photo you explained that when you get your hair cut, they thin it.
Do you know HOW they thin it? They open the scissors wide, and using one blade of the scissors, downstroke the hair or a section of strands, and remove some of the top layer. This leaves hair essentially shredded and vulnerable. They sometimes also cut out chunks of hair. "Thinning" hair is a way to lighten the hair so it'll be a bit more bouncing and possess more movement.

You otherwise have nice hair, dare I say, beautiful?

But I can't do anything regarding the feeling that you have too much of it. I would advocate the two week rule. Wait 2 weeks and see how you feel before cutting it off.

And next time you get a hankerin' to cut your own hair, either really study how to cut your own hair OR visit a person that is professional at cutting hair. That way you won't have regrets 2 weeks later, usually.

It's going to be alright. Everything will right itself. You'll like your hair again. Long hair isn't for everyone, though. If you prefer or want shorter hair, that's okay. Everyone has a length they prefer, or "of comfort".

heidi w.

newbeginning
March 11th, 2012, 04:09 PM
No matter what haircut you have it always looks amazing. I do understand somewhat (because my hair is nowhere as thick as yours) your problems with it being heavy, poufy and hot. I like the idea of cutting it to APL and perhaps changing the layers/style a bit. If you cut it shorter it might be harder to style and put in updos.

spidermom
March 11th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Oh; I didn't catch that part about getting it thinned. The stylist thinned my hair at least once in the past, and I didn't have it done again because the shorter bits pushed the longer bits out even more, so that it was twice as poufy as it would have been otherwise.

ktani
March 11th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Your hair is gorgeous and you can suit a number of styles. I do get the overwhelming part because it must be a chore to be uncomfortable with your hair (the heat).

However, I do remember how pleased you were with the last cut. I agree that on your trip your hair may take a beating.

You have a singular advantage in all of this, a great growth rate. So, even if you do decide in the end to go shorter than last time, it should grow in pretty fast if you are not thrilled with it.

I also agree that thinning it out may not be the greatest idea.

That is where trusting your stylist comes in. If she knows your hair well, she may have ideas you may not have thought about that could help besides that.

Have a great trip, and good luck!

Xandergrammy
March 11th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Oh stop! You and your hair are gorgeous!!

Xandergrammy
March 11th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Oh; I didn't catch that part about getting it thinned. The stylist thinned my hair at least once in the past, and I didn't have it done again because the shorter bits pushed the longer bits out even more, so that it was twice as poufy as it would have been otherwise.

I've had the same experience. More than once. I will never get my hair thinned again. :nono:

cocolady
March 11th, 2012, 05:44 PM
UltraBella I would DIE for your hair :laugh:
It's truly beautiful and most women use extensions to get that look.
It looks so healthy too, I don't know what to say...
it's up to you but it would really be a waste to cut any of it.

julliams
March 11th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I remember how much you loved your hair when you cut back to BSL, perhaps you could try back to there first? I also understand the "lots of hair" issue and sometimes I feel like I am all hair and wish it would lay flatter.

Perhaps the mix of layering with a razor and scissors has jut created too much layering? Is that possible? I personally don't like my own hair at shoulder length because it sits out like a verandah on me. I would think the right cut would help with this but I think with hair as thick as yours, you do need some length.

My vote would be to go back to the cut that made you so happy - BSL.

TeaEarlGreyHot
March 11th, 2012, 06:12 PM
If you cut your hair I call dibs on the part you cut off! That sounds weird... like a hobbit carrying a ring. The precious, I will carry the burden for you awhile. Now I'm a creeper :couch:

Lisa R
March 11th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Well, as with everyone here I have to say you and your hair are absolutely beautiful! I always love it when you start a thread. It's always a good read!

I can't entirely understand your frustrations of thick heavy hair as I have the total opposite but as with most of us we can empathise not being happy about our hair at points in our lives. Like right now I'm not happy with my thin BSL hair so I'm chopping it to APL or just a bit longer. Heck, why not make ourselves happy!! Hair grows, it truly does:)

I really look forward to seeing whatever you do to your hair. I reckon having it a bit shorter for the vaccation would be easier for you to deal with. But that is just one opinion. No matter what you do it will look gorgeous and I can't wait to see pics:)

Good luck:)

ladyshep
March 11th, 2012, 07:33 PM
You can try whatever you want, it is your hair. Nobody is making you do anything you don't want to do.

You do have very nice hair. I can see how it can be very hot, however.

Have you ever tried Redken real control? I'm not sure if you use silicones or not, I know the shampoo doesn't have it. (The styling cream has the A-cone.) Anyways, the product cuts down on volume in the hair very well. If it doesn't work, take it back to the salon.

I hope you get happy about your hair real soon! Enjoyed your pictures!

Quetiepi
March 11th, 2012, 07:54 PM
I read the first page, then I saw there were 9 pages total and I just wonder if you had updated with a decision and more pictures.
I think you are very pretty, and your hair is lovely. I'm sure you would look good no matter what length you choose.
So, could you please give an update?
Thanks, Q

kidari
March 11th, 2012, 08:01 PM
I'm sorry you feel that way about your hair. I love seeing your posts! Especially ones with pictures. I remember your hair grows so super fast, so your bangs will probably grow out completely by the summer.

holothuroidea
March 11th, 2012, 08:04 PM
You do have rather a lot of hair. As a person whose hair forms more of a light scarf than a winter coat, I don't have much advice for you..

It seems to me, though, that the amount of hair on your head and neck won't change if you cut it from waist to shoulder. The only thing that would change is then you wouldn't be able to put it up and get it off your neck if you wanted to.

alyanna
March 11th, 2012, 08:09 PM
I can understand wanting a change and just not feeling happy with one's hair anymore. Not that I can relate to the thickness problem AT ALL, but I live in a very hot area for half the year, and even with my measly hair, I cannot stand to wear it down.

I'm all for change and with your fast growth rate, why the heck not try something shorter? You certainly have the features for it. You wouldn't have the "my hair is eating my face" problem and you'd show off your beautiful skin.

I think the Eva Longoria picture you posted is awesome, exactly what I had in mind after reading your post. It would look really nice on you and that kind of heavily layered, razored look, only works with thick hair. You probably wouldn't have to style it much.

Someone suggested permanent straighteners, not keratin, another thermal thing. Those are damaging, I know, but your hair is quite coarse, and could handle it.

I'd still opt for the Longoria look though.

I would worry about the last three haircuts. I love that look, but it's risky for super-thick hair...

UltraBella
March 11th, 2012, 08:21 PM
To all those commenting about thinning, I actually enjoy my hair most when it is thinned. I have it thinned every time I get a trim. I have never had any damage and the method Heidi W. described has never been used on my hair, it's always done with specific thinning shears and a razor. And I love LOVE love razor cuts. It's the only way to get rid of the bulky, just hanging there look.

You really can't go wrong with layers in my hair, the more the better. Layers are my friend :)
I did love my BSL cut, mainly because my layers could go so much shorter, but it felt too long again within a month or two. So, I think it's time to go shorter. I will never know if I like it unless I try it !!

As for my stylist, she would gladly make the extra money and she knows I would pay her a HEFTY amount to come in or stay later for me, she works in the salon I own and we all do that kind of stuff for each other often - and we always have quite a bit of fun because we are friends - she just doesn't want me to make a quick decision and then regret it. We actually had an appointment set up for a cut about 4 weeks ago, I was going to cut back to BSL, but my schedule was so busy that I had to cancel it. I have worn my hair down twice since then and have been fairly hot and cranky both times. I am thinking APL might be a good place for me to cut to and then go from there.

As for the boat and vacation, last time I went my hair was TBL and I thought the sun and ocean would damage it but it didn't seem to at all. It was such a pain washing, conditioning and detangling because I was in the water several times a day. I am dreading that part a bit and really wish I would have already cut it, it is way warmer there and much more humid.

UltraBella
March 11th, 2012, 08:29 PM
You do have rather a lot of hair. As a person whose hair forms more of a light scarf than a winter coat, I don't have much advice for you..

It seems to me, though, that the amount of hair on your head and neck won't change if you cut it from waist to shoulder. The only thing that would change is then you wouldn't be able to put it up and get it off your neck if you wanted to.

It would change significantly !!! Right now, my hair is past waist and is actually right about hip if you pull it straight. That means my shortest layer can only be about shoulder length. That's a lot of bulk up top, hair wise. If I cut to APL or shorter, my layers can be quite a bit shorter, giving volume and lift in the crown area and removing quite a bit of weight and bulkiness. That makes for a much lighter cut.

* I feel badly for not responding to everyone individually, but I was at my parent's home for hours today and it is hard to catch up. Just know that not one response has gone unread and I appreciate them all. I think this is a great debate, to cut or not to cut. Layers vs no-layers. To thin or not to thin ;) It's very interesting !

P.S. to TeaEarlGreyHot, that made me giggle. You can have it ! I will send you a creepy ziplock baggie of my hair.........

holothuroidea
March 11th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Well I'm sure you're right! I don't know much about thick hair. I just remember my mom (who has thick hair) one summer cut her hair from BSL to shoulder because it was "too hot" then she complained for the rest of the summer because she didn't have a way to get it off of her neck. :laugh:

UltraBella
March 11th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Well I'm sure you're right! I don't know much about thick hair. I just remember my mom (who has thick hair) one summer cut her hair from BSL to shoulder because it was "too hot" then she complained for the rest of the summer because she didn't have a way to get it off of her neck. :laugh:

By the way, I liked your analogy of a light scarf vs a winter coat. I don't want a winter coat any more !!

jeanniet
March 11th, 2012, 08:41 PM
I think APL might be a very good length for you--but I also think you need to plan to get more frequent trims than you do now. Your hair grows fast, so if you find the right length you're going to have to trim probably monthly or every six weeks at least in order to maintain that length. I'm looking forward to seeing your new style!

lovinglocks
March 11th, 2012, 09:01 PM
I'm sorry, but I stopped reading when you starting talking about how much you dislike how much hair you have and then showed some pics of how full and long your hair is. You have gorgeous hair and are very lucky. Bangs will grow.

CurlyCap
March 11th, 2012, 09:09 PM
I saw go short (past shoulder, longest layer APL), layer and razor the heck out of it, and enjoy your hair. The length chop will lighten it, the layers/thinning will lighten it further, and you can enjoy having no-burden hair for a while.

You've said yourself that your hair grows crazy fast and is pretty damage resistant. If that's the case, use this as an opportunity to enjoy it! Cut it as short as you dare because it'll grow back quickly. Also, this gives you the opportunity to try out different styles (even if they require heat tools) so you can experiment with just how you want your hair to look.

From your other posts, I've gotten the impression that you've always worn your hair some variation of long. Hair grows back. If you really want to, try something different. :D

FrozenBritannia
March 11th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Yah, I went from BSL to a chin length bob before going on holiday once, biggest mistake EVER. The LAST thing you want to be doing on holiday is trying to figure out how to deal with your 'new' hair. If I had left it long, I could have braided it or put it up when it rained and poufed. With a chin bob all I could do was hide from the camera and wish I hadn't done it. Bah.

UB, I think you will look lovely with whatever length of hair you choose, I do suggest making the change a few inches at a time though, to see how your hair reacts. Probably the last thing you want is to cut it to shoulder and discover it wants to pouf out as wide as your shoulders, at that length there is not much layering that can be done that doesn't end up looking like meg ryans shag.

Quahatundightu
March 11th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Have you ever considered getting an undercut? Then you could get rid of a quarter to half of your hair and I'm sure it would still look amazing! Your hair is definitely thick enough to pull it off. I'm not thinking of the one where you shave only half your head, rather where you either shave or crop very short the hair underneath all around your nape etc. Some style ideas on this blog (http://hamparade.blogspot.com.au/2011/03/undercut.html)

UltraBella
March 11th, 2012, 09:36 PM
I'm sorry, but I stopped reading when you starting talking about how much you dislike how much hair you have and then showed some pics of how full and long your hair is. You have gorgeous hair and are very lucky. Bangs will grow.

Maybe you should have just clicked out of my thread at that point and went without commenting at all. If pictures my daughter took that reference exactly what I am unhappy about bother you, there are plenty of threads without any pictures at all, so you can just "guess" what kind of hair the OP has.

auburntressed
March 11th, 2012, 09:49 PM
I don't know what the shortest length you have ever had is. But for myself, my hair becomes impossible to do anything with if it gets too short. This is because the thickness makes it hard to braid, bun, or do anything that gets the hair off my neck. If your hair is too hot on your head, I don't think cutting will change that. The thickness on your head will still be there on your head. And it might make it significantly more difficult to get it up off your neck - unless you get a pixie cut or some kind of bob. But with your hair type, either of those cuts might look rather interesting indeed.

It is definitely a predicament. Seems like no matter what you do, you are going to have some adjustments to get used to.

Have you tried double braids or double French braids? It might not be the style you are looking for, but it keeps the hair off the neck without putting much pressure on the head.

jeanniet
March 11th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Maybe you need to go through menopause, hahaha (kidding!). Although I can't say that I lost much thickness from that; it's been a much more gradual process. Maybe by the time I'm 70 I'll have average thickness. I have to say that I don't miss any lost thickness at all. It gets really tiresome feeling like your hair is trying to take over--I was very abusive to my hair when I was younger just because I was trying to control it. It's really not fun when you always feel like your hair is your enemy.

irisheyes
March 11th, 2012, 09:52 PM
I second the undercut suggestion. You would look amazing in a bold, cutting edge style.

FrozenBritannia
March 11th, 2012, 09:56 PM
I second the undercut suggestion. You would look amazing in a bold, cutting edge style.

I watched a few scenes from a movie once, with Bruce Willis, and his daughter in the movie had really long black hair, and the nape part was really short, I thought it looked kind of cool when she had it in a ponytail, when it was down you couldn't tell. She died in the first part of the movie though, she was a worker at some plant and some tp secret information something or other leaked and she was infected or... i don't know I turned it off after that. But the hair was neat.

UltraBella
March 11th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Have you ever considered getting an undercut? Then you could get rid of a quarter to half of your hair and I'm sure it would still look amazing! Your hair is definitely thick enough to pull it off. I'm not thinking of the one where you shave only half your head, rather where you either shave or crop very short the hair underneath all around your nape etc. Some style ideas on this blog (http://hamparade.blogspot.com.au/2011/03/undercut.html)

You know, I have seen undercuts on people in real life and it looked really edgy and cool. I don't think I could pull it off. If I kept my hair long and got an undercut, I would have to wear it up at work and I think an undercut would look strange on me.
Everyone I have see with one has been much younger than me, does anyone here have one that you can post for me ? I would love to see it !

I don't know what the shortest length you have ever had is. But for myself, my hair becomes impossible to do anything with if it gets too short. This is because the thickness makes it hard to braid, bun, or do anything that gets the hair off my neck. If your hair is too hot on your head, I don't think cutting will change that. The thickness on your head will still be there on your head. And it might make it significantly more difficult to get it up off your neck - unless you get a pixie cut or some kind of bob. But with your hair type, either of those cuts might look rather interesting indeed.

It is definitely a predicament. Seems like no matter what you do, you are going to have some adjustments to get used to.

Have you tried double braids or double French braids? It might not be the style you are looking for, but it keeps the hair off the neck without putting much pressure on the head.

My shorter length would involve lots of layers, quite a bit shorter than I have now, so it would significantly change the thickness on top of my head. A lot of bulk would be removed.
My shortest haircut was SHORT, around 20 yrs old and it was truly disastrous. My mother still to this day tells me how much she loved that haircut ! I have no idea why....
I don't braid my hair much, I've never really liked braids on myself but I love them on other people. I usually just put my hair in the same bun day in and day out, I am so tired of it.

Kirry-Folk
March 11th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Wow.

You're extremely beautiful and the length of your hair makes you remarkably stunning. I wish I could dissuade you from cutting it, but you have to do what makes you happiest.

jeanniet
March 11th, 2012, 10:11 PM
My shortest haircut was SHORT, around 20 yrs old and it was truly disastrous. My mother still to this day tells me how much she loved that haircut ! I have no idea why....
I don't braid my hair much, I've never really liked braids on myself but I love them on other people. I usually just put my hair in the same bun day in and day out, I am so tired of it.

I had a pixie cut in 8th grade--trust me, it was NOT flattering--and my mother still tells me how good I looked. I don't know what goes on in her head when she says that. I kept getting mistaken for a boy!

kidari
March 11th, 2012, 10:37 PM
OMG that exact haircut on Keri Russell (the actress who was on Felicity) is the reason why I cut my hair short after a lifetime of long hair! I really really enjoyed it. I honestly think you should try APL before you go that short though. Sometimes I realize that I prefer BSL than waist and I may be unhappy with hip length. I want to grow to hip just to say that once in my life it was that long and then CHOP back to APL, which is my favorite length on me. My husband likes me better with long hair- the longer the better. He hated my short hair when I had it but I LOVED it. Ah! Your posts make me want to cut my hair lol. Please post pictures if you do decide to make a change.

Tia2010
March 11th, 2012, 10:58 PM
I think your hair looks great, and I like the bangs... But I do understand wanting a change.

You can pull off any one of the looks you posted and your hair grows amazingly quick, so if by chance you didn't like it you would be back to where you are now in no time at all. :D

Keep us posted :)

filthygorgeous
March 11th, 2012, 11:00 PM
i LOVE your hair. It's so gorgeous. it's healthy and lucious. I really like the layers...i don't thnk you should cut it at all. everyone in hollywood wishes they had hair like yours and pay thousands for extensions.

kidari
March 11th, 2012, 11:25 PM
i LOVE your hair. It's so gorgeous. it's healthy and lucious. I really like the layers...i don't thnk you should cut it at all. everyone in hollywood wishes they had hair like yours and pay thousands for extensions.

I agree. I only cut mine because I really wanted to. Sometimes if you want a change it's good to do it for yourself. I envy your thickness Ultrabella. There are days when I curse the thinness of my ends and I curl my straight hair to achieve volume I wish I had. I think that's why the short length worked for me, it gave me instant thickness. Your texture and thickness should be put into careful consideration if you cut shorter. For easy maintenance I don't think you should go shorter than APL.

UltraBella
March 11th, 2012, 11:31 PM
I am definitely leaning towards a layered APL style to begin with. I have had that length before and I really loved just twisting my hair back, letting the hair around my face hang soft and loose and securing with a giant clip. I haven't had that option in many years.

I should be able to find a picture somewhere of the lengths I have had that were not super long.... BRB !

share801
March 11th, 2012, 11:34 PM
I was going to ask if you had any old pics with a shorter length, but somehow I think it ate my post! Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do.

Arya
March 11th, 2012, 11:40 PM
I went and did some research, since you perked up at the undercut comments.

Mel B currently has one, as does Kate Lanphear, Elle's stylist editor, and neither of them are spring chickens:
http://entertainment.msn.co.nz/blog.aspx?blogentryid=615131&showcomments=true

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1253368/Mel-B-daughter-Angel-matching-shaved-haircuts-LA-shopping-trip.html

http://www.lisamalanij.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/undercut-side1.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=170040806954&set=a.140658736954.142579.140149276954&type=3

I found pictures of them here:
http://www.lisamalanij.com/blog/?p=190

Some are still really feminine:
http://www.lisamalanij.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/4089615361_97dd98f301_b.jpg

and if you want to fake it for a while to see if you like it, there's a tutorial for that, too!
http://www.bellasugar.com/How-Fake-Undercut-2010-07-28-060000-9424086

Aimskylove
March 11th, 2012, 11:52 PM
First of all, you are gawgeous dawling. :)
Second of all I love your hair and length but I understand what you mean. Today I contemplated cutting back to my shortest layer which is about apl because I woke up with a huge KNOT in my hair which never happened in my shorter lengths. I think Your hair would look great either way. :)

lovinglocks
March 12th, 2012, 12:09 AM
If you took the context of what I said as it was meant, I was saying that you have beautiful hair, it looks good the way it does, and bangs grow even if you don't like it. But take it how you want, whatever.

UltraBella
March 12th, 2012, 12:11 AM
I was going to ask if you had any old pics with a shorter length, but somehow I think it ate my post! Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do.

Seriously, I didn't find a single pic that wasn't heat styled. Man, I was addicted !!!

Here is when I chopped my hair, I was very pregnant in this pic :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/6b7056f1.jpg

I don't remember when this was taken :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/2311a97b.jpg

I liked this hair :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/3bfb881c.jpg

This pic looks a bit.....erm....... naughty but it really wasn't, I swear ! I was wearing a black dress and laying on my friend Kelly's bed waiting for her to finish styling her hair so we could go to a Christmas party. I was getting impatient and she took my picture.

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/e83ab486.jpg

This was a bit longer, but still layered :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/766d540b.jpg

BBdck1
March 12th, 2012, 12:28 AM
I love your thick gorgeous hair! Short or long (although I like long a bit more)! I think you can rock any look as long as you are happy with it.

UltraBella
March 12th, 2012, 12:35 AM
I went and did some research, since you perked up at the undercut comments.

Mel B currently has one, as does Kate Lanphear, Elle's stylist editor, and neither of them are spring chickens:
http://entertainment.msn.co.nz/blog.aspx?blogentryid=615131&showcomments=true

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1253368/Mel-B-daughter-Angel-matching-shaved-haircuts-LA-shopping-trip.html

http://www.lisamalanij.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/undercut-side1.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=170040806954&set=a.140658736954.142579.140149276954&type=3

I found pictures of them here:
http://www.lisamalanij.com/blog/?p=190

Some are still really feminine:
http://www.lisamalanij.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/4089615361_97dd98f301_b.jpg

and if you want to fake it for a while to see if you like it, there's a tutorial for that, too!
http://www.bellasugar.com/How-Fake-Undercut-2010-07-28-060000-9424086

Honestly, I look at some of these and I want to get another tattoo, wear some heavier eye makeup and rock an undercut, but it's just not me, lol. At least not the 35yr old me. I don't want to show this thread to my teenage daughter because I think she might love the undercuts, lol.

Joliebaby
March 12th, 2012, 01:27 AM
Your shorter hair looks great! I really do not understand why everyone thinks thick hair can't be short. That has not been my experience at all, ever.

leslissocool
March 12th, 2012, 01:34 AM
I have thick hair, as thick as yours and super coarse. I found that when I had shoulder length hair, it was WAY HOTTER than now, since I can put it up and forget about it. I braid it and put it up most of the time.

I remember my first summer in SoCal, sweat was dripping on my back from my hair being down... it was a nightmare, it was 6 months after a nasty chop. Now, even when I work out I don't get hot.

Joliebaby
March 12th, 2012, 01:36 AM
What about ponytails and simple peacock twists?? I can put up my hair that is above shoulders and layered.

UltraBella
March 12th, 2012, 01:47 AM
Your shorter hair looks great! I really do not understand why everyone thinks thick hair can't be short. That has not been my experience at all, ever.

I agree, and it's not like I am talking about cutting so short that it can't be put up or pulled back, I remember wearing my hair up in each of those lengths and it was alot easier to get it up too. Peacock twist, large clip and some face framing whispies = happy, quick and stylish.

I will admit, I have no idea how those previous cuts of mine would have looked if I hadn't been heat styling them constantly. I wish I had a pic of them without all the smoothness.

Joliebaby
March 12th, 2012, 01:58 AM
Yeah.. I was really having trouble putting up my 30" hair. It was so heavy it would slide down and pull easily. Also even at nearly waist length it was not long enough for most up-do's.

I always had to take it down at some point because my head started to hurt, and I mostly wore my hair down despite buying the best hair accessories, ficcare, Grahtoe etc.

It might be possible to learn to put it up better, but I don't think it will ever be easier and faster than with shorter hair!

dragaica
March 12th, 2012, 02:23 AM
Seriously, I didn't find a single pic that wasn't heat styled. Man, I was addicted !!!

Here is when I chopped my hair, I was very pregnant in this pic :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/6b7056f1.jpg

I don't remember when this was taken :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/2311a97b.jpg

I liked this hair :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/3bfb881c.jpg

This pic looks a bit.....erm....... naughty but it really wasn't, I swear ! I was wearing a black dress and laying on my friend Kelly's bed waiting for her to finish styling her hair so we could go to a Christmas party. I was getting impatient and she took my picture.

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/e83ab486.jpg

This was a bit longer, but still layered :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/766d540b.jpg
Shorter- can be a refreshing cut.
I love your 3rd picture. and the last one.
If you are not convinced with a length, try to go with small steps - you said the stylist is your friend - have fun :)
I would love the Salma Hayek look on you- I think she hasn't layers...in the picture you've posted.

Toadstool
March 12th, 2012, 02:33 AM
Here are some of the styles I am considering :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/a1f84b54.jpg

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/213f9d2d.jpg

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/b56f8c41.jpg

WITHOUT BANGS THIS WOULD BE PRETTY ON ME, I THINK :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/e9ae257e.jpg

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/117ae2d0.jpg

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/0a7f98a3.jpg

ALSO WITHOUT AS MUCH BANG :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/2a3c0432.jpg
I really like the last three. The last one of all looks lighter in weight, as though it's been thinned? The middle one looks awesome but I imagine its feeling pretty heavy.

long
March 12th, 2012, 03:04 AM
I think it is great to try new things. I have always liked something about the different styles I have tried. I think you look great in those shorter styles and your hair will always grow back if you don't like. I had a pixie a few years ago and I loved it.

Mesmerise
March 12th, 2012, 03:25 AM
The problem with undercuts is they're a PITA to grow out!

I remember growing out one years ago... I only had it done once and it was sooo annoying...

Now my DD is growing out hers...and same thing. It looks really awful when she wears her hair tied up now (which she generally has to do for school), because the undercut is long enough to look stupid... but not long enough to fit up in a ponytail!

Still it made it easier to detangle her hair when she had it ;). She just feels weird with it because none of her schoolfriends have one...and she was teased for it :rolleyes:.

kidari
March 12th, 2012, 03:57 AM
I loved the pictures! The commentary was entertaining too. Updos are different at APL than they are at BSL and MBL. You can't do complicated looking updos at shorter lengths but simple ponytails look amazing and twisted updos with the tail ends loose look the best when it's shorter. What I miss about my APL hair is that I was more carefree in taking care of my hair. It was easier and I could do some more heat styling without worry because I would chop off an inch or more pretty often (my hair grows super fast and faster when it's shorter). I think shorter lengths require some more styling than longer hair but taking care of it is easier and faster. You look so pretty that the shorter lengths look good too. Just keep in mind that it will take more than a year to grow back so it's a commitment!

MinderMutsig
March 12th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Your shorter hair looks great! I really do not understand why everyone thinks thick hair can't be short. That has not been my experience at all, ever.I think it's like with curly hair. It's not a matter of whether your hairtype will allow you to wear a certain hairstyle but a matter of whether you are able to find a hairstylist who is capable of making it look good on your hairtype. Not every hairstylist can cut curls and the same goes for very thick and very thin hair.

When hair is thicker it needs more shaping and layering and the position of where to put those layers is totally different from thinner hair.

But it sounds like UltraBella has a hairstylist who knows what she's doing so I'm sure whatever they decide on will look great.

I can sort of relate to the problem of too much hair. My hair may not be nearly as thick as yours but at 4.5" it's not thin by any definition and my individual hairs are much finer so in terms of having a lot of hair to deal with I understand where you are coming from. Sometimes it just seems to be everywhere and while my hair is blond it definitely can get hot.

If you feel you'll be happier with shorter hair then by all means, cut it. If you don't like it you can always grow it back. Especially since your hair seems to grow fairly fast.

UltraBella
March 12th, 2012, 06:55 AM
The problem with undercuts is they're a PITA to grow out!

I remember growing out one years ago... I only had it done once and it was sooo annoying...

Now my DD is growing out hers...and same thing. It looks really awful when she wears her hair tied up now (which she generally has to do for school), because the undercut is long enough to look stupid... but not long enough to fit up in a ponytail!

Still it made it easier to detangle her hair when she had it ;). She just feels weird with it because none of her schoolfriends have one...and she was teased for it :rolleyes:.

Awww :( I hate it when kids are teased. That's terrible ! I can imagine that an undercut would be a total pain to grow out, my daughter's inverted bob seemed to take forever to grow out as well. Ugh.

To EVERYONE ELSE - Thanks !!!!!! I dreamed last night that this was my cut :

Funny thing is, in my dream it was super dark like this as well, lol. I looked so funny with black hair but I loved the cut so much. It might be a bit too heavily layered, in all honesty, for my natural texture. Some of those layers are SHORT. I love how it looks though !

UltraBella
March 12th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Someone mentioned in a PM not knowing what my natural texture is like, so here's a couple pics from Halloween that show it pretty well. My hair is pretty "fuzzy" and the back of my crown area is really a kinky tight wave. I realize that area in particular might go nuts if I cut it shorter, but it would be so quick and easy to wrap my hair in Caruso rollers at a shorter length and I love how they smooth my hair and give it shine, so I am not opposed to that type of styling.

Also, my bangs !!! They have grown so much !! This picture made me realize how quickly they have grown. This pic was Oct 31st and they are now to the top of my upper lip. Yay !!!!!!

So, for those of you unaware,this is what I naturally have to work with, texture wise :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/aa1fa191.jpg

And the back :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/db4a8dc7.jpg

homeeduk8tor
March 12th, 2012, 07:26 AM
UltraBella, I can relate to your hair frustration. I am at that point myself. My hair is now past waist and it's very thick and voluminous. I always tell my husband that it should be a crime for one person to have so much hair. I've recently discovered that my hair is naturally wavy and I've been doing the curly girl method to bring out the curl. I find that this has made me even more frustrated because the process takes so much time for me. Summer is unbearable with this much hair and I get cranky! I'm often heard saying, " how would you feel in this heat if you had a rug on the top of your head?" I am strongly considering a new cut, too.

I really like all of the pictures of the styles you are considering. My favorite one is the second one- Cheryl Cole, I think. That's a great cut! I think you would totally enjoy your vacation significantly more if you had the cut a few weeks before your trip. Just think of the freedom you would enjoy! I know you'll find what's right for you and I'm excited to see what you decide.

jasper
March 12th, 2012, 07:45 AM
I was hoping you would post some pictures of yourself with "short" hair and you did. :) The thing is, outside of LHC, as we sometimes forget, APL is lllooonnnggg hair. Even cut to shoulder length, depending on the cut, hair can look long to non-LHC eyes.

With your growth rate, you know you can do whatever you want and have different hair again in 6 months. Even 3 AM bangs can already be swept up or aside.

Anyway, just don't do "angry" cutting. Cool reflection and a calm conversation with the stylist who will do the cut , and you'll be happy with it.

Kelikea
March 12th, 2012, 08:27 AM
I really like your 2nd and 3rd picture. Yes, I really love long hair, but you seem ready for the change and I know how heavy and overwhelming it can be.

alyanna
March 12th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Awww :( I hate it when kids are teased. That's terrible ! I can imagine that an undercut would be a total pain to grow out, my daughter's inverted bob seemed to take forever to grow out as well. Ugh.

To EVERYONE ELSE - Thanks !!!!!! I dreamed last night that this was my cut :

Funny thing is, in my dream it was super dark like this as well, lol. I looked so funny with black hair but I loved the cut so much. It might be a bit too heavily layered, in all honesty, for my natural texture. Some of those layers are SHORT. I love how it looks though !

I'm tellin' ya! This is the one. It's gonna look gorgeous and super stylish. Do it! Do it! :D :p

MissEarlGrey
March 12th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Hey UltraBella, I feel the way you do about my hair as well. I'm always dying to do something to it to release the weight and just general MASS that is my hair. It gets in/on/around everything. But I really do value the fact that other people would love to have it, and that it is unique and should therefore be appreciated.

It's big, it's heavy, it's beautiful, it's all-encompassing, it's a universe full of secrets, it's my hair. I hope you find peace with yours, it's glorious.

didrash
March 12th, 2012, 09:17 AM
I hope you find the perfect style for you that makes you feel good and happy. However I find your hair gorgeous as it is, I would be very happy if I had your hair. But then, the grass is always greener on the other side :).

TeaEarlGreyHot
March 12th, 2012, 09:48 AM
My sister has hair as thick as yours and I trimmed and dyed it for her when it was waist/hip length. Her ponytail circumference must be 6"+, and it is naturally curly/wavy/very coarse. She cut off her long hair and never looked back. It must have been 10 years since she cut it off and is now rocking a mid-neck length super layered 'do. It's way more manageable for her than her long hair was. Although, in the summer she wishes she could pin it all back in a way that was looking nice enough to go in public. What if you went BSL/APL through the warmer months so that you can sweep it all up in a jiffy and then when it cools off cut more length if you still aren't happy?

P.S. Thanks for bestowing a creepy ziplock bag of hair to me :cheese:

sisi33
March 12th, 2012, 10:04 AM
I'm going to go against (what seems like) the majority- cut it! APL! :D You've said that it grows super fast *can you hear the envy?!*, and it will in all probability be back to BSL in 2 months. But I would second- or was it third? :hmm:- doing it after your vacation. Will it be a PITA during swimming, yes. But at least you'll be used to it, and not trying to manage your hair when it's off having a great time without you. :silly:

And, as always, :thudpile: for your pictures!

BlondieHepburn
March 12th, 2012, 10:16 AM
UltraBella, I just have to say, girl you are seriously gorgeous!! I'm sorry you feel frustrated with your locks; everyone goes through phases like that. But you should know that you are really beautiful and you needn't worry too much. :flower:

turtlelover
March 12th, 2012, 10:55 AM
I'm curious about how your hair would behave heavily layered but w/ NO razoring or thinning scissors used. Type 2C from what I've seen tends to frizz w/ any sort of thinning/razoring at shorter lengths. If you are going to wear your hair w/ its natural texture, that might be something to consider in order to make your life more low maintenance.

UltraBella
March 12th, 2012, 11:00 AM
My hair is coarse, so I don't think it will be an issue. If it was fine it might be a real problem.

BlondieHepburn, thank you for the sweet compliment.

Thanks so much to those that can relate, it makes me feel better to know that I am not alone in my hair frustration. I realize it's a bit against the norm here, but I really do think I am ready to say goodbye to all this hair.

PinkyCat
March 12th, 2012, 11:14 AM

This. I think if you cut too much you'll miss it.
Do what you know works.

share801
March 12th, 2012, 12:08 PM
I really liked your 3rd and 5th former hair styles.

I can certainly understand how you would be frustrated. I don't have a quarter of the hair you do but its sometimes it just seems to be EVERYWHERE.

Harriet
March 12th, 2012, 01:05 PM
It's so beautiful, I think the bangs look great!

coldclarity
March 12th, 2012, 01:17 PM
You have beautiful hair. But I can really relate. When my hair gets past BSL it gets really heavy and starts to take over my face and my life.

I can say that having it a lot shorter was amazing for a long time. I was always told I couldn't have short hair cos of the thickness and curl, but I had a just below jaw length graduated bob that was layered and heavily thinned and I felt so liberated. I got bored eventually and decided to grow it to see how it would be if I cared for it properly, but that short hair was wonderful after a lifetime of battling with it.

Good luck whatever cut you go with, I hope you feel better

DakarNick
March 12th, 2012, 01:20 PM
UB, by the time the cut is over your hair will have grown back to where it is!

ktani
March 12th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Ah, I did not realize that you had your hair thinned regularly or all of the time.

I agree, razor cuts can "lighten" heavy hair and done properly by the hands of a skilled professional, they are not damaging. They can make hair somewhat drier, in that more of the hair interier is exposed because hair is "shaved" at an angle but that is down to how well it is done and razor cuts as I said, do not damage hair when well done.

UltraBella
March 12th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Well, it seems like the chances are slim that I will be ale to get it cut before I leave on my vacation, I leave Friday. My stylist knows that if she gets a cancellation to check with me, otherwise I will have to wait until I get back. I have mixed feelings about it really. Part of me wants to cut it before and part of me says it's easier to just toss my hair up in my bun anyway. It will work out either way :)

long&blonde
March 12th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Ultrabella, your hair and you are beautiful!
I love your bangs.
But I can relate to feeling warm, sweating with my hair down,
So I end up with constant updos.
I've been considering bangs:just like yours:
But I tell myself:notice how its never Summer when you consider bangs,layers,hair that will flop in your face.
I am sure whatever style you choose, you will Rock it!

pepperminttea
March 12th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Well, it seems like the chances are slim that I will be ale to get it cut before I leave on my vacation, I leave Friday. My stylist knows that if she gets a cancellation to check with me, otherwise I will have to wait until I get back. I have mixed feelings about it really. Part of me wants to cut it before and part of me says it's easier to just toss my hair up in my bun anyway. It will work out either way :)

On the plus side, if you know you're having a major-ish cut when you get back, you can throw caution to the wind a little bit with trying to protect it perfectly while you're away. Saltwater-angered ends will be cut off; one less thing to worry about! :)

UltraBella
March 12th, 2012, 09:55 PM
On the plus side, if you know you're having a major-ish cut when you get back, you can throw caution to the wind a little bit with trying to protect it perfectly while you're away. Saltwater-angered ends will be cut off; one less thing to worry about! :)

Totally !!!!!!!!!! I am going to be gone for quite some time and hair care on a sailboat with hours every day in the ocean is rough on it, but I was pleasantly surprised last time. My hair did really well. Hopefully it will be okay this time too :)

iSuperHeroic
March 12th, 2012, 11:47 PM
I'm sorry, this has nothing to do with your hair issue.
I just wanted to say that your eyes are gorgeous!

kidari
March 13th, 2012, 03:04 AM
I think maybe you should try getting your hair cut more often in the layered BSL cut that you love. I think you've been bitten by the cutting hair shorter and shorter bug! It's the same like when you're growing your hair out and once you reach your goal you want to grow longer and longer. I cut from MBL to APL and then to shoulder and then to chin, then to ear and contemplating pixie even. Be careful! Hope you have an awesome time on your vacation.

holomi
March 13th, 2012, 10:11 AM
I have no advice, but I know the feeling. I have been itching for a change too...

oktobergoud
March 13th, 2012, 12:50 PM
I don't know what to say, your hair is beautiful!! I can totally imagine it being too heavy/thick though.. I mean, it is pretty that thick, but that must be a pain in the bottom!
I don't think it looks bad or frizzy, but I do feel you, my hair is superfrizzy now it's getting longer and it's really annoying :(
But seriously, your hair and mustache look amazing!

Edit: I have no advice though, cut back again at BSL? Or maybe even a bit shorter? Your hair seems to grow like weed anyway :P

zombi
March 13th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Maybe cut back to BSL again?

I don't think there's really solution for the thickness problem, though, except having in thinned. =/ Kind of like how there's not a solution for us i thickness people.

AnqeIicDemise
March 13th, 2012, 01:21 PM
as a recovering haircut a holic, this us a slip and slide. you'll end up a pixie...good news your hair grows like crazy, so who cares?

misspurdy06
March 13th, 2012, 01:32 PM
You just need your house to yourself for a day so you can walk around naked. It helps me when I feel like that about my hair.

When I feel my hair brush against my body and look at myself in the mirror I love it much more.

UltraBella
March 13th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Lol, I actually don't like the feeling of my hair on my body ! See, all evidence is pointing towards cutting being the best choice ;)

I was so itching to cut it earlier today that I almost went to a different stylist but I stopped myself. Being impatient and switching stylists is NEVER a good idea and usually results in tears and regret. I am not going to do that to myself, I must learn patience !!

Shoga
March 13th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Sorry you are not happy with your hair!! Let's trade!?!

It looks drop-dead gorgeous to me, but I hope you find something that you like!

MissCoco
March 13th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Well, in all honesty, this isn't the first time we've seen you complain about how thick and warm your hair is when it's long, so just cut it really short and thin it out as much as you can regularly, I guess?

Blueneko
March 13th, 2012, 04:42 PM
A couple things:

1. Bangs are always a mistake for my thick hair, and I hear this sentiment a lot from women. We want bangs, so we get them, then shortly thereafter hate them.

2. I am also in the "I have too much hair" phase right now. It catches on everything, it is constantly up to get out of my way, then I get scalp headaches from the weight.

3. Every time I see Rene Russo's hair in The Thomas Crown Affair I instantly want to have HER haircut from that film. If you are going to a chop, it is worth a review. Your lovely eyes and hair colour made me think of this hair!

http://rdujour.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/ReneRussoThomasCrownAffair001x3.jpg

Carissamarie08
March 13th, 2012, 04:44 PM
I love your hair! so pretty. but if you dont like all the length with added bulk id probably cut it back to BSL.

Lisa R
March 14th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Hey UB,

I have an idea. I you aren't able to get to your stylist by Friday you could consider taking off some length yourself using Faye's Trimming method or whatever method you like to get rid of some length???!! You could take it to BSL etc? Just a thought! Might make your vacation a bit easier having less bulk to deal with?

Let me know your thoughts:)

UltraBella
March 14th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Hey UB,

I have an idea. I you aren't able to get to your stylist by Friday you could consider taking off some length yourself using Faye's Trimming method or whatever method you like to get rid of some length???!! You could take it to BSL etc? Just a thought! Might make your vacation a bit easier having less bulk to deal with?

Let me know your thoughts:)

I do think less bulk would be easier to deal with on vacation but I am not willing to cut it myself. It's just too much hair for me to handle well on my own with scissors. And I get scissor happy anyway, I should never be allowed to cut my own hair !

Blueneko, her hair is awesome in that movie !!!!

PriscillaCherel
March 14th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Don't cut.. it make it worser to handle it..
When you cut it short you got really much hair around your face and neck.. The bad thing is that you almost can't put it in a bun or something, so it would be more anoying then now. But after all, it's your own decision! :) Beautiful hair and beautiful woman.

Nenwing
March 17th, 2012, 12:28 AM
I think it would look lovely with it in the "just longer than shoulder-length" to "APL" length. In the pics you posted it curls really lovely and looks great.

I personally don't have thick hair, but I can imagine it would be quite trying to deal with especially in the summer time. I would imagine it can take forever to dry after washing too. I had a friend who had quite thick hair, and she would complain in the summer about it being so hot and heavy.

Ceridwen Iris
March 17th, 2012, 01:57 AM
Cut it off. I've got thick hair that grows fast and I've never lamented a loss of length. You'll be much happier.

chelles2kids
March 20th, 2012, 08:58 PM
I apologize if this has already been discussed or suggested because I did not read through the entire thread.

I would suggest other ways of styling it first before contemplating a cut.
Maybe some different types of updo's or cute barrettes, different types of braids or something to kind of pull some of the weight away from your face?

I understand with summer coming up and having thick hair how very tempting it is to cut but when my hair is cut shorter it just makes it look so much bushier than when I have some length to help weigh it down a bit and make it lay a bit better.

My hair is thick but nowhere near your thickness and I know how frustrated I get with mine so I do kind of understand your frustration with it.
Obviously just cutting in some layers would also be another option rather than losing any of your length?

I'm sure whatever you decide it will still look fabulous...you have a gorgeous head of hair!:flower:

duchesswannabe
March 21st, 2012, 04:42 AM
I'm a big APL-length fan for thick hair. Or between APL-BSL.

Nymphea
March 21st, 2012, 06:49 AM
Wow, UltraBella! I've read through the whole topic and i must say that I understand you completely. Aside from that, I will tell you too that, in my opinion, your hair is gorgeous, and it has always been, in all your different lengths you had in past year or so. But, what is important here is not what we think, but how you feel with your hair. So, listen to yourself.

It seems to me that you're ready for the cut. You are right for not rushing into anything and giving yourself a time to decide. You are lucky to have such a great stylist who you can rely on.

I'm with Joliebaby when it comes to a thick and shorter hair. I think that this combination could be beautiful, if you see yourself in it, of course. And I must say I've been tempted to cut when I saw her cut (waist to neck) lately, but I didn't, because I thought it through and figured out that I'm just not ready. Yet.

But if you think you are ready - go for it! Hair always does grow back, and yours is growing so fast!

I liked your hair on your photo with a hat. So I vote SL or a little below shoulders - just where your shortest layer is.

It will, however, grow fast to APL, so you can play with all these lengths.

Whatever you do, it will look fabulous, so don't worry, and, of course - post pictures! :)

XcaliburGirl
March 21st, 2012, 07:21 AM
I just want to say, I am interested to see the results! Plus, I am keeping a few of the example images you posted of women with thick hair. Good ideas for me to grow into. So, thanks!

Sisgoldenhair65
March 21st, 2012, 08:21 AM
You are pretty and so is your hair....no worries! Hope you are enjoying your vacation!

Caringformyhair
March 21st, 2012, 10:37 AM
Maybe you could snip some of the unwanted pieces and donate them to me?? :D

Your hair would look lovely at any length but I think around BSL would look fantastic and remove some of the weight. However I am a 'slim' haired person so cannot imagine what it feels like to feel weighed down by hair.

UltraBella
March 27th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Hi everyone !! Thanks for the replies !!!! I am in Black Point, Guana Cay, Bahamas and I found a tiny little pizza parlor with wifi, so awesome :)

I get back the 9th of April and my hair appointment is set for the 10th, I am anxious to cut it and I am looking forward to it !

afu
March 27th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Ultrabella - i know it always seems worse to the person in question - but seriously, you have amazing hair and you are so beautiful :) I'd do a swap any day!

solitudinarian
March 27th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Oh wow your hair is so faboulous, not just the texture, curls, bangs and lenght, but overall how you seem to be able to do anything with it (that pushed back-bang that elevates the hair from your scalp, i WISH i could do that!!) it looks soooo soft and amazing, haha ugh so envious! :3

anyway, just needed to share, hahah i dont have any ideas though :\

stew
March 27th, 2012, 10:36 PM
WOW!! You have absolutely AMAZING hair!! There's so much of it.. I can't wait until all my hair grows in thick like it used to be. When I cut it short I layered it heavily and thinned it out. Don't do too much to it! I envy you!

MandyBeth
March 28th, 2012, 01:38 AM
I missed this before. I like all your ideas, plus your hair grows so fast so it wouldn't be the drag growing mine is.

That much hair looks fun, but dang I do not miss it in the least. Try a 5" ponytail with cat fine hair. There was nothing I could do with it. That's why I had an undercut from 2 to 22. Went to a 4" tail post ppd reaction. Now to 2.5" plus bangs post spay. It's bliss not having a wool blanket over your head, and come summer with sweat and humidity, a wet wool blanket.

Katze
April 2nd, 2012, 12:36 PM
those hairstyles are so pretty but there is a LOT of blowdrying, curling, and styling involved to get them to stay like that I think...maybe your hair would do that on its own, but mine sure wouldn't! We have a similar amount of frizz and unruliness, but your hair just seems to have more weight and swing.

If you have layered 'dos like in some of your different hairdo pics, what do you do to keep them looking smooth? Product? Heat?

Joliebaby
April 2nd, 2012, 12:55 PM
^
Not necessarily.. I don't do anything to my layered above shoulders hair. It's completely wash and go. I air dry and usually sleep with damp hair too. I just fluff it out with my hands in the morning and maybe wet it a tiny bit if it looks weird. I don't own one single styling product or appliance, not even a hair dryer.

Perelka74
April 2nd, 2012, 02:21 PM
I think you have great hair , it is nice and thick ...I love it.

barely.there
April 2nd, 2012, 02:24 PM
are you seriously kidding me? I WISH I had hair like you! so thick, and even if your health goes to pot, you'll still have hair left to show off! Me? Im practically already bald and im healthy! and I love your bangs! they frame your face very well and its very feminine.

get off your high horse XD

hairgoals
April 2nd, 2012, 07:51 PM

UP Lisa
April 3rd, 2012, 07:35 AM
You and your hair are both so gorgeous that it is REALLY hard to feel sorry for you.....:rolleyes:

LaurelSpring
April 3rd, 2012, 07:55 AM
Ditto on the ... your hair is always beautiful! It really is.

I was experiencing some hair unhappiness a little while ago and did what I never thought I would do again....layers! I am actually pretty happy with it. I know that you have and love layers, and I dont know if this would help things or make them worse but here is something I was checking out. I havent gone all the way with it. I have been taking it in baby steps, but if I had the cutting to do over again, I would keep my length (it was Tb but now between bsl and waist) and put in these sorts of layers. Its still long but very cool and the layers make it so light and fresh. There is layer maintenence involved and I have to use a round brush and blow dryer again, but the good news is that even though its a bit more damaging I will be cutting it more frequently to maintain and I can still put it up in lots of ways. Just an option to throw out there! There are several different similar type "scene cuts" but I liked this one the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyo7DXKT3lg&feature=related

RecklessCharlie
April 3rd, 2012, 11:14 AM
I am not even remotely self-conscious - I may actually be a bit too self confident at times - but that doesn't mean that I can't want a change. I am simply over having to deal with this much hair. I don't want it anymore, I want to be free of it.

So cut it off :) Its just hair, really! I've cut mine drastically, and grown it out and cut it again, each time I've been thrilled with it.

But you have to be truly committed to a change, if you think even more a moment that if you cut it you'll just end up pining for it - then don't cut it and just embrace what you've got.

spidermom
April 3rd, 2012, 12:41 PM
^
Not necessarily.. I don't do anything to my layered above shoulders hair. It's completely wash and go. I air dry and usually sleep with damp hair too. I just fluff it out with my hands in the morning and maybe wet it a tiny bit if it looks weird. I don't own one single styling product or appliance, not even a hair dryer.

That's really amazing JolieBaby. My hair was almost horizontal at your length. Maybe that's the difference between F/M and M/C. My hair had no weight, so it fluffed/floated outward.

UltraBella
April 6th, 2012, 11:36 AM
are you seriously kidding me? I WISH I had hair like you! so thick, and even if your health goes to pot, you'll still have hair left to show off! Me? Im practically already bald and im healthy! and I love your bangs! they frame your face very well and its very feminine.

get off your high horse XD

Get off my high horse ? What's wrong with me being bothered by my hair and deciding to cut it ? What a crappy attitude to have on such a friendly forum..........

woolyleprechaun
April 6th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Get off my high horse ? What's wrong with me being bothered by my hair and deciding to cut it ? What a crappy attitude to have on such a friendly forum..........
Ahhhh, Im sure it wasnt meant like that:shrug:. There was a grinning face there, not to mention some compliments :o
Whens the big chop then? Excited? :D

jeanniet
April 6th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Have you decided on a length/style yet?

UltraBella
April 6th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Ahhhh, Im sure it wasnt meant like that:shrug:. There was a grinning face there, not to mention some compliments :o
Whens the big chop then? Excited? :D

Maybe ? But it's definitely not a nice term. Where I come from "get off your high horse" is a HUGE insult, whether there is a smiley or not.

The big chop is on Tuesday at 2:30pm :)
I am very excited and it's been hard to be patient ! Once I decide something, I am all about instant gratification, lol. This has been good for me, and I haven't changed my mind, so I know I am ready. I am just undecided if I am going for APL or playing it safe and keeping it a bit longer. I have even considered shoulder length, but APL seems like a good compromise.

There will be layers galore, no matter what !! And of course, pictures :)

dulce
April 6th, 2012, 12:18 PM
APL is a good length,still long enough to do a lot of long hair styles but easy and lighter weight to wear down.Can't wait for pics!

turtlelover
April 6th, 2012, 12:46 PM
We love your hair and will mourn its loss (haha!), but APL is definitely a versatile length, at least for me, and is a LOT lower maintenance, even more so than shoulder since it is easier to put up. I bet it will look great, and give you a break from the high maintenance.

carolinaberry
April 6th, 2012, 01:09 PM
You have some of the most beautiful hair I've ever seen!

Unicorn
April 6th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Maybe ? But it's definitely not a nice term. Where I come from "get off your high horse" is a HUGE insult, whether there is a smiley or not.
It is were I come from also, but the tone of the post didn't go with that expression, I suspect its a second language issue, or a misunderstanding of the expression.

Any how still awaiting your new look! :)

I also have thick hair and also I love the way it looks some days, very often I just want it gone. Luckily, along with thick beautiful hair, you also have fast growing hair, so a chop is less drastic for you than it is for most.

I really can't decide which of the styles I like best... :confused: I think you'd carry them all really well.

Unicorn

barely.there
April 6th, 2012, 06:56 PM

ahh. just saw this now.

sorry. I didn't mean for it to come out negatively. I have baby fine hair (i can almost count how many hairs I have on my head I have so little :/ )and thus am very jealous for people with lovely manes. so when someone speaks like they totally hate their hair even though its super gorgeous, i get confused.

again, I apologize.

PrairieRose
April 6th, 2012, 07:05 PM
The big chop is on Tuesday at 2:30pm :)
I am very excited and it's been hard to be patient ! Once I decide something, I am all about instant gratification, lol. This has been good for me, and I haven't changed my mind, so I know I am ready. I am just undecided if I am going for APL or playing it safe and keeping it a bit longer. I have even considered shoulder length, but APL seems like a good compromise.

There will be layers galore, no matter what !! And of course, pictures :)
Can't wait to see the pictures of your new cut!:)

excentricat
April 6th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Just saw this thread. I hope you love your cut, its awful to hate your hair.

alyanna
April 6th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Hey UB!
So excited to see your new do!!
And I'm not worried about you at all, whether you go for shoulder or APL (although I still vote APL and that haircut on what's her name from Desperate Housewives). Your hair is gonna look great and you will LOVE it, I'm sure. I'm always for changing things up and since your hair grows quickly, you won't even get a chance to miss it before it's back at BSL.

Olivia23
April 6th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Wow girl! Just want to say your hair is gorgeous! I always thought my hair was thick and heavy but it's nothing compared to yours! Just wanted to say how pretty it is and I could only wish my layers looked that good. For some reason mine look all scraggly. I'm now trying to grow out my layers... again.

Falcore
April 6th, 2012, 10:12 PM
I know whatever you do it's going to look fabulous :)

Cannot wait to see pics!

stkl
April 7th, 2012, 03:26 AM
I know this is a LONG hair forum, but i think i would say cut. I think, although your hair is beautiful, as it is it kind of overwhelms your equaly pretty face and i think some of the shorter cuts you picked out would be much more flattering.

Actually, I know your not going to like this, but i think the layers are part of the problem. I know it might help get some of the weight out of your hair, but its causing the top layer to poof up, giving you so much thickness around the jaw line. If the top layer was a little longer, it would also weigh it down somewhat, which might help smooth the hair around the canopy. That way you could keep it long, and have some longer layers so you would keep some movement, but it would still be more flattering.

I hope you understand what i mean, i wish i had some pictures to show you, but i don't unfortunatly - but good luck with what you decide to do! :)

UltraBella
April 7th, 2012, 10:07 AM
ahh. just saw this now.

sorry. I didn't mean for it to come out negatively. I have baby fine hair (i can almost count how many hairs I have on my head I have so little :/ )and thus am very jealous for people with lovely manes. so when someone speaks like they totally hate their hair even though its super gorgeous, i get confused.

again, I apologize.

Apology excepted, thank you for explaining too.

Hey UB!
So excited to see your new do!!
And I'm not worried about you at all, whether you go for shoulder or APL (although I still vote APL and that haircut on what's her name from Desperate Housewives). Your hair is gonna look great and you will LOVE it, I'm sure. I'm always for changing things up and since your hair grows quickly, you won't even get a chance to miss it before it's back at BSL.

That's the one I keep going back to, I really love that cut !!! What an enormous change that would be....... I love the idea, hope it translates well to my hair texture and type.

TO EVERYONE ELSE : Thank you !! I have read all the replies but I don't have time to reply to everyone separately. I am still in the Bahamas and the internet is only available for a short time.

Several people have expressed irritation at my complaint - because they perceive me as having pretty hair. I acknowledge that I am blessed to have thick, fast growing hair but that doesn't mean that I am not prone to hair issues just like everyone else. My issue might be in the minority, I want less hair and less length, but it still is a big decision for me and I appreciate the support I have received. Thanks :)

Hollyfire3
April 7th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Your hair IS gorgeous and will STAY gorgeous when you cut it, don't worry, it will be great! As for the cut you picked out, your hair is similar to the Eva Longoria's i have seen that show, her hair is thick and corse (can't spell) like yours, hers looks lovely with layers and that length, and yours will too. Awaiting pics, good luck!

Arya
April 8th, 2012, 12:13 AM
TO EVERYONE ELSE : Thank you !! I have read all the replies but I don't have time to reply to everyone separately. I am still in the Bahamas and the internet is only available for a short time.

OMG the water in the Bahamas did WONDERS for my hair. Let me know if you experience a colour change or texture change. My copper hair went closer to a caramel, from 1b/c to 2b, and incredibly soft. I've heard from several natives that it's pretty common.

Audrey Horne
April 8th, 2012, 03:56 AM
I'd advice braiding, updos, etc. You can do a lot with your hair at this length and thickness IMO Believe me that if your hair was fine and much thinner it perhaps wouldn't solve the problem. I believe there might be no perfect for ourselves. I'm here with my fine short and a thin tapered braid desperately wishing for a thicker longer one. And I hate my hair too. What I want to say is that the grass is greener on the other side. You have very lovely hair that so many would be jealous of. We are just all frustrated at times.

IanB
April 8th, 2012, 04:02 AM
Most people would be very happy if their hair was anything like yours, it looks fabulous.

kamikaze hair
April 8th, 2012, 05:40 AM
Good Luck UltraBella!

Like many others, I also love your hair, and think its beautiful just as it is. At the same time though, I believe if your ready to rock a new 'do, then go for it! :cheese:

All of the suggestions made and pictures shown would look awesome in your hair. I hope you leave the hairdressers STRUTTING YOUR STUFF! (I am of the firm belief that anyone going to the hair salon should walk out feeling like a million buck, and strutting their stuff :D)

Can't wait to see pics... :)

lapushka
April 8th, 2012, 12:44 PM
I'm actually really curious to see what kind of style you'll go with. In any case, good luck on getting that new hair cut! :)

UltraBella
April 8th, 2012, 04:27 PM
OMG the water in the Bahamas did WONDERS for my hair. Let me know if you experience a colour change or texture change. My copper hair went closer to a caramel, from 1b/c to 2b, and incredibly soft. I've heard from several natives that it's pretty common.

No color or texture change but my hair is less frizzy and fly away. The softness is CRAZY. And the shine ! WOW. I think it is mainly due to the RO water on the boat. The water back home is very hard. My hair is a dream here. But....... It's still too hot and thick to really enjoy at all.

I am in the Nassau airport waiting to fly to Miami, then back to Montana tomorrow. I am super excited for my hair appointment on Tuesday !! I can't wait :)

Seeshami
April 8th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Only two ish days left to the appointment! Good luck and I am sure you'll be just as jaw dropping beautiful now matter what you do with your hair. Yay for a good change!

Anywhere
April 8th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Also very excited to see the new 'do. You have lovely facial features, and the way I'm picturing it in my head it's going to look great on you!

kidari
April 8th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Ah! I can't wait to see pics of the new 'do!

longcurlygirl<3
April 8th, 2012, 05:24 PM
You have beautiful hair and eyes!

UltraBella
April 10th, 2012, 05:56 AM
I just woke up out of the blue (my alarm does not go off for another 90 minutes) completely worried that something is going to go wrong with my haircut today and I am going to hate it. Grrrrrrr. How frustrating.
My current stylist has NEVER disappointed me, no idea what is going on in this brain of mine !

woolyleprechaun
April 10th, 2012, 06:01 AM
I just woke up out of the blue (my alarm does not go off for another 90 minutes) completely worried that something is going to go wrong with my haircut today and I am going to hate it. Grrrrrrr. How frustrating.
My current stylist has NEVER disappointed me, no idea what is going on in this brain of mine !
You will be fine, I think its nornal to be anxious! Good luck with it, cant wait for pics! :)

turtlelover
April 10th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Just remember that you don't have to cut it all at once -- you can do a smaller cut and see if that gets the urge to cut out of your system. If it doesn't go back again in a month and cut more!

holomi
April 10th, 2012, 09:30 AM
I can't wait for pics too!

UltraBella
April 10th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Just remember that you don't have to cut it all at once -- you can do a smaller cut and see if that gets the urge to cut out of your system. If it doesn't go back again in a month and cut more!

That's kind of what I did last time, I wanted to go to APL-ish but I was chicken, so I cut from TBL to BSL and added more layers. I loved it, but it grew out soooo quickly and I have never gotten rid of the urge to cut more and have even shorter layers up top, so I think I need to just GO FOR IT :)

Vanilla
April 10th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I can't wait to see pictures of your fabulous new cut :)

Tia2010
April 10th, 2012, 10:38 AM
:cheese: can't wait to see the pictures!

annamoonfairy
April 10th, 2012, 10:44 AM
I think you have beautiful hair but I do understand about being mad at yourself for a sudden out of the blue cut. I have rules about cutting my hair and one night a couple months ago I ignored all of them and cut my bangs and three inches off my length! I am still upset but it will grow back : )

Talula
April 15th, 2012, 10:53 PM
This thread has had over 16,000 views... there are a lot of tortured people waiting for update pics! :)

Wasn't the hair appointment 6 days ago? Did she go through with it? Did her camera break? Ah ... the drama!

Bump thread... with anticipation...

Unicorn
April 15th, 2012, 11:37 PM
This thread has had over 16,000 views... there are a lot of tortured people waiting for update pics! :)

Wasn't the hair appointment 6 days ago? Did she go through with it? Did her camera break? Ah ... the drama!

Bump thread... with anticipation...
A new thread was started...

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91915

Unicorn

Talula
April 15th, 2012, 11:41 PM
A new thread was started...

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91915

Unicorn

oooooo, thank you very much! I couldn't believe no one had harassed her for pics in 6 days! I'll go check it out now. :)

ETA: And already over 11,000 views on her newer thread!

fluffypuffy
April 16th, 2012, 06:30 AM
You and your hair are STUNNING. All I can say is, if you want to get rid of some weight, chop tons of layers throughout having the longest just below/at BSL, and the shortest just above. Maybe something face framey. (Pretty much a shorter version of what you have going on now).

KrystalPixie
April 23rd, 2012, 01:10 PM
I dream of having your hair. It will grow :)

ozzy
April 30th, 2012, 07:43 AM
You have lovely hair :)

Zarina
April 30th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Honestly I would probably do just about anything to have hair like yours. I know there is always room for self improvement but in my opinion you could probably put the hair on the back burner so to speak, that one is covered.

I saw those pics and I think I *actually* turned green for a moment there. :)

BeckyAH
April 30th, 2012, 09:16 AM
... I am completely bemused y people who dislike being told what to do with their hair telling you what to do with yours. I love the new cut and I don't blame yu being frustrated, that is a lot of hair to have to deal with. It was very pretty. It still is, and you're happier. Total win.