PDA

View Full Version : thank you everyone! and special thank you Ktani

pogo0685
March 10th, 2012, 11:24 PM
Ok so a few weeks ago I was planning to do a big cut on my hair because it is damaged, its 2 colors, not the hemline I like and it tapers and is thin. Long story short I had not used conditioner in a few months and was using just baking soda as shampoo.... Not working at all for me, baking soda cleaned wonderfully but dried my hair out so bad. So on the suggestions I got here I started to use shampoo bar again and not baking soda every wash, and started using a tiny bit of conditioner and putting 3 drops of mineral oil in ky hair and I am so happy with the results! It's soft again, looms a lot fuller than before and in the end I only cut off an inch and I plan on doing small microtrims every month to get rid of damage and henna so that I will have all virgin hair again! Thank you all so much and thank you Ktani for all the articles and research you sent me!

Sorry for any typos... Typing out on phone.

MeowScat
March 11th, 2012, 01:50 AM
I second this! I'm so thrilled I found this site last year. I was ready to chop almost a foot off, that's over two years of growth for me. Ouch.

Ktani's articles have helped me so much as well. Especially the Baby Oil / Mineral Oil article. I had no idea that I had a great detangler in my bathroom cabinet my whole life and never knew it.

So, thank you LHC, you've saved my hair!

jacqueline101
March 11th, 2012, 08:28 AM
I'm glad you got help for your hair.

einna
March 11th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I am glad you have had progress, and I agree that ktani is a real resource for the LHC.

spidermom
March 11th, 2012, 12:36 PM
I hear you about the baking soda. It dried my hair out so bad that it matted together, like felt. I'm glad you found workable solutions.

vanity_acefake
March 11th, 2012, 12:42 PM
I'm so glad the advice you got here has made a great difference to your hair.
:)

ktani
March 11th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Ok so a few weeks ago I was planning to do a big cut on my hair because it is damaged, its 2 colors, not the hemline I like and it tapers and is thin. Long story short I had not used conditioner in a few months and was using just baking soda as shampoo.... Not working at all for me, baking soda cleaned wonderfully but dried my hair out so bad. So on the suggestions I got here I started to use shampoo bar again and not baking soda every wash, and started using a tiny bit of conditioner and putting 3 drops of mineral oil in ky hair and I am so happy with the results! It's soft again, looms a lot fuller than before and in the end I only cut off an inch and I plan on doing small microtrims every month to get rid of damage and henna so that I will have all virgin hair again! Thank you all so much and thank you Ktani for all the articles and research you sent me!

Sorry for any typos... Typing out on phone.

I second this! I'm so thrilled I found this site last year. I was ready to chop almost a foot off, that's over two years of growth for me. Ouch.

Ktani's articles have helped me so much as well. Especially the Baby Oil / Mineral Oil article. I had no idea that I had a great detangler in my bathroom cabinet my whole life and never knew it.

So, thank you LHC, you've saved my hair!

I am glad you have had progress, and I agree that ktani is a real resource for the LHC.

Oh WOW!

You are very welcome and thank you all!

That now makes 10 people in total who have avoided trims not needed or in this case much less hair need trimming than thought, simply by using mineral oil/baby oil.

When I found the research that started all of this, I had absolutely no idea that this would be the outcome. It makes perfect sense to me but that is what happens when logic and analysis work things out. There is no reason that what has happened should not be the outcome, lol.

When I first started using catnip and wanted to push it to its limits, I had no idea that it could also prevent split ends. I also had much less actual research to help with that one.

Congratulations for not having to trim or as much as was thought and for having the adventurous spirit to try the mineral oil at all. That in part is why I researched it so hard, to help make the decision easier, so that concerns of safety, which come first for me and then other concerns would not get in the way.

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ETA: Friends of mine continue to have success with mineral oil/baby oil. They have varied hair types and textures and lengths from curly to wavy to straight and in between, lol. No one has needed or wanted to stop using it. There have been no downsides to using the oil, none, and they would tell me, lol, "no holds barred", lol.

PixxieStix
March 11th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Ktani, I too have benefited from your articles and knowledge you so freely give on this forum, and thank you very much for it! :flower:

Pogo0685, I am so glad to hear that your hair doing better and much happier now! It's so nice to know that if down the road I end up in a similar situation that there are always other methods to try prior to deciding to chop. Good luck on your continued hair growing journey.

ktani
March 12th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Ktani, I too have benefited from your articles and knowledge you so freely give on this forum, and thank you very much for it! :flower:

You are very welcome. I am glad that you have found it all helpful. :)

GettingThere
March 12th, 2012, 07:06 AM
I'll chime in too...another who has avoided a big trim due to mineral oil:) I was very skeptical about mineral oil because I had such bad luck with coconut oil despite hearing such rave reviews about it here. Then I decided it couldn't hurt to try the baby oil since it was laying around anyway and it was wonderful!! I use just 2-3 drops in the ends of my damp hair and it works even better than my coney serums ever dreamed of working. I shampoo every day and use conditioner and ACV rinses. My ends are still somewhat split (obviously) but feel much better and are no longer "crunchy" like they were with the coconut oil. I am positively ecstatic about the baby oil:) Thanks ktani!! (and everyone else who has shared their positive experiences here on this board)

ktani
March 12th, 2012, 07:55 AM
I'll chime in too...another who has avoided a big trim due to mineral oil:) I was very skeptical about mineral oil because I had such bad luck with coconut oil despite hearing such rave reviews about it here. Then I decided it couldn't hurt to try the baby oil since it was laying around anyway and it was wonderful!! I use just 2-3 drops in the ends of my damp hair and it works even better than my coney serums ever dreamed of working. I shampoo every day and use conditioner and ACV rinses. My ends are still somewhat split (obviously) but feel much better and are no longer "crunchy" like they were with the coconut oil. I am positively ecstatic about the baby oil:) Thanks ktani!! (and everyone else who has shared their positive experiences here on this board)

You are very welcome, "number 11", lol. and you have increased the ones I know of to that number. There are probably more.

I love that hair is being "saved" with such an inexpensive, safe, available product that until recently was reviled here. It is a lovely product and can work wonders on hair, any hair, based on all of the reports.

Hamh
March 12th, 2012, 08:23 AM
I will sing Ktani's praises here too I think! Not only a wealth of knowledge but one of the most supportive people on this site in my opinion, she has helped me so much and been so kind. Thanks to Ktani I understand more and how to tackle problems when they arise. I've said it before and I will say it again, what a gem!

heidi w.
March 12th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Notice to All LHC people: DO NOT USE BAKING SODA AS A HAIR WASH SHAMPOO. You will ruin your hair eventually. This is ONLY ONLY ONLY for Clarifying the hair. That's it. A person does not need to clarify the hair daily. Not even once a week, not even once a month, necessarily. I hardly ever clarify. And when I did, it was approximately every 3 months. AND I performed a good conditioning session as part of this type of hair wash. You MUST replace what has been removed. Again, Baking Soda is not for shampooing the hair daily!! (I'm being as emphatic as I can without being entirely rude. Just don't do that.)

heidi w.

ktani
March 12th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Notice to All LHC people: DO NOT USE BAKING SODA AS A HAIR WASH SHAMPOO. You will ruin your hair eventually. This is ONLY ONLY ONLY for Clarifying the hair. That's it. A person does not need to clarify the hair daily. Not even once a week, not even once a month, necessarily. I hardly ever clarify. And when I did, it was approximately every 3 months. AND I performed a good conditioning session as part of this type of hair wash. You MUST replace what has been removed. Again, Baking Soda is not for shampooing the hair daily!! (I'm being as emphatic as I can without being entirely rude. Just don't do that.)
heidi w.

I have read the threads where people have used baking soda as shampoo. It is used at a different strength than when it is used to clarify. It has a pH of around 8 which is lower or less alkaline than most soaps, which are around 9 and can be as high as 10. No damage has been reported.

If baking soda is fully dissolved in water it is not abrasive. I therefore cannot see it "ruining" hair in the short or long term. ETA: It does need to be followed immediately with an acidic rinse like well diluted lemon juice or vinegar to close the cuticles and not stress hair by it tangling.

ETA:2 If it is not used fully dissolved in water and is abrasive, I can see that damaging hair by abrading the cuticles. Like most things, it is about how it is used.

As far as clarifying goes, many people do not think that they have build-up on their hair when they do, and it can contribute to hair problems, in my opinion far more than a bit of baking soda "properly" used.

All conditioners build-up on the hair. It is a common practice here, just like over oiling in my opinion, to use far too much conditioner (not meaning conditioner only washing but it can include that) at one time.

A person should clarify their hair when needed, and that varies with the person and how much product they use regularly. Nondrying oils can be washed out. Conditioner and styling aid build-up needs clarifying out unless both are stopped and left to wash out and drying oils can need clarifying out too.

ktani
March 12th, 2012, 01:42 PM
I will sing Ktani's praises here too I think! Not only a wealth of knowledge but one of the most supportive people on this site in my opinion, she has helped me so much and been so kind. Thanks to Ktani I understand more and how to tackle problems when they arise. I've said it before and I will say it again, what a gem!

Thank you so much!

I am so glad that what I recommended was of help.

Cocoa_Crema
March 12th, 2012, 10:18 PM
I just went and purchased a small bottle of baby oil today. I know that a little goes a long way, and it will alst me awhile. I actually like the scent as well!

We'll see how it goes on my 3a-b curly hair! :)