PDA

View Full Version : Leave-in conditioner

icallitbliss
March 10th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Can anyone recommend me a good leave-in conditioner? My scalp gets oily if I don't wash every day, but my ends are just a *tad* bit dry... I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive. Thanks!

Miss Catrina
March 10th, 2012, 09:26 PM
I don't know what your stance is on cones, but Aveeno makes one I like, and it's pretty easy to find (Kroger, Wal-mart, etc).

kitcatsmeow
March 10th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Tate's miracle conditioner is AMAZING. I use it as a leave in and it's perfect. Not to heavy and it's all natural. Although it is a not cheap a little goes a long way. I also use it as a facial moisturizer.

Annibelle
March 10th, 2012, 10:36 PM
I've been using Burt's Bees More Moisture as my wash-out, and I just go ahead and use it for my leave-in, too. :shrug: Works better than anything else I've ever tried! :)

BBdck1
March 11th, 2012, 03:47 AM
I used to use Baby Oil. Now I'm switching over to coconut oil because I read it's one of the few oil that can penetrate hair.

Siiri
March 11th, 2012, 05:35 AM
I liked Alba botanica fragrance free leave-in conditioner. You need only a small amount, so it lasts for a long time. It wasn't too heavy, but moisturized pretty well, and helped with detangling. I had shorter than shoulder length hair when I was using it, it was not damaged but a little dry.

Here's a link to it: http://www.iherb.com/Alba-Botanica-Leave-in-Conditioner-Fragrance-Free-7-oz-198-g/9497?at=0

It's cone free, has humectants, coconut oil + botanical extracts.

I use mineral oil now as a leave-in to avoid build up because I'm trying out the oil shampoo method, but with other washing methods it should work.

Or if you have a regular conditioner you like, you can always use that as a leave-in, diluted with water if it's too heavy.

Mina17
March 11th, 2012, 05:36 AM
For an inexpensive leave-in I've used regular VO5 conditioners. They are too light for me as a rinse out conditioner but work great as a leave-in.

I also like Toadstools leave-in conditioner but it is a bit more pricey. I love her scents.

jacqueline101
March 11th, 2012, 07:26 AM
I use the dollar aisle special personal care salon professional compare to paul mitchell the conditioner.

kitcatsmeow
March 11th, 2012, 07:30 AM
I liked Alba botanica fragrance free leave-in conditioner. You need only a small amount, so it lasts for a long time. It wasn't too heavy, but moisturized pretty well, and helped with detangling. I had shorter than shoulder length hair when I was using it, it was not damaged but a little dry.

Here's a link to it: http://www.iherb.com/Alba-Botanica-Leave-in-Conditioner-Fragrance-Free-7-oz-198-g/9497?at=0

It's cone free, has humectants, coconut oil + botanical extracts.

I use mineral oil now as a leave-in to avoid build up because I'm trying out the oil shampoo method, but with other washing methods it should work.

Or if you have a regular conditioner you like, you can always use that as a leave-in, diluted with water if it's too heavy.

oooh I may have to try this as my little bottle of Tates's is almost a gonner. I've been using Alba for my skin but haven't tried it on my hair. Thanks for the tip ;)

Kelikea
March 11th, 2012, 08:40 AM
I like either Suave hypoallergenic everlasting sunshine or VO5 strawberries and cream, which ever one I am using as the wash-out conditioner, then just add a drop to my ends afterwards. Both cost around a dollar at the grocery store or Walmart. The VO5 has protein, so not sure how your hair does with that, mine likes it.

rock007junkie
March 11th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Right now I am loving B.A.S.K. Silk and honey Latte (In nectarine-vanilla scent). After I started using this I find that I don't need to moisturize everyday...and the smell is divine.

MonaMayfair
March 11th, 2012, 09:28 AM
I use Aussie Luscious Long leave in conditioner.
It doesn't cause build up on my hair and makes it shiny and soft.
I don't like wash out conditioners as they make me shed more, so this one is perfect.

HylianGirl
March 11th, 2012, 10:10 AM
I used to use garnier fructis triple oil leave in (it's called oil repair in my country, don't know how that translates in english, but it's the same product with a different name). But now I'm using coconut oil instead, and they both work great =)

Sillage
March 11th, 2012, 10:22 AM
L'oreal EverStyle Smooth and Shine Creme-- works great and smells amazing! I'm really loving it.

Ingredients:Water (Aqua), C13 16 Isoparaffin, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Polyacrylamide, Octyldodecanol, C13 14 Isoparaffin, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Fragrance, Hydroxypropyl Guar, Laureth 7, Ethylhexyl Glycerin, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil

bumblebums
March 11th, 2012, 11:23 AM
The only difference between rinse-out and leave-in conditioners is marketing. You can use whatever conditioner you normally use as a leave-in. If you like "shine serums", try coconut oil--it's cheaper and arguably healthier for your hair. You only need a tiny drop smoothed between the palms on the ends of your hair.

*Seraphina*
March 13th, 2012, 06:35 AM
You can try a normal conditoner and use it as leave in.
I use a conditioner from ultra doux as leave in and that works great! :)

Katze
March 13th, 2012, 08:47 AM
We have similar hair, and I find a light conditioner works best for *daily* leave-in use, but I also just regularly use whatever conditioner (non-cone) I have lying around. I only ever use leave-in on the ends, with extra focus on my coarser, curlier nape hair.

I used to use garnier fructis triple oil leave in (it's called oil repair in my country, don't know how that translates in english, but it's the same product with a different name). But now I'm using coconut oil instead, and they both work great =)

I use this shampoo for CO and also for leave-in sometimes. Works well both on me and on DH, who is also F/M mixed curly/wavy

You can try a normal conditoner and use it as leave in.
I use a conditioner from ultra doux as leave in and that works great! :)

Exactly. Whatever conditioner works well for you as a condish should work well as a leave-in.

I love Goth Rosary conditioners because they are so light (and thus good for fine hair) but they are not cheap and honestly I do not see any difference between using light and normal or heavy conditioners as leave-ins, except for the amount I, personally, need to use. It is kind of trial and error, and also depends on how dirty my hair is and how it was last washed.

One of my favorite uses for leave-in is to make an updo look smooth on dirty days. Since my hair is wavier than it looks (it acts like curly hair but has some straight bits) I really need help to make it look smooth and tidy. At the moment reversed French braids, soaked in leave-in, then clipped along the top of my head, hold better than almost any other hairdo.

I also mix leave-in and hair gel.

Katze, leave-in queen! :D

lapushka
March 13th, 2012, 09:15 AM
I have got2b curl cream as a leave-in, though regular conditioner used as a leave-in is fine as well.

dragaica
March 13th, 2012, 09:19 AM
I like Veganese- by Lush - very small, diluted quantity - $$$, but goes a long way - like one big bottle in 1 year....as leave in

Georgies
March 13th, 2012, 09:22 AM
I tried lots and lots of conditioners as leave ins, but in the end oils work better for me. They moisture without much build up, and a jar of coconut oil lasts a really long time! It's not as forgiving as conditioner though, it's very easy to use too much - less is more.

The mineral oil thread is also pretty convincing though I have yet to try that.

dragaica
March 13th, 2012, 09:22 AM
I also like the honey and vinegar wash- also as a leave in , and aloe Vera for styling, with a drop of amla oil.
- all of the above can be considered leave-in, if you put in them an extra 2-10 drops of oil.