PDA

View Full Version : Interesting way to apply henna

MoonLover
March 10th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Hello Fellow Hennaheads,

I'm not sure if anyone has ever seen this video but it's a very interesting way to apply henna: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQicWXfm8IY&list=LLue1qs5_y0gsj4k52V9dH4w&feature=mh_lolz

It's my first time trying this method and so far it feels like the henna mass is much better distributed on my hear. Usually, I end of with a gigantic heavy bun or two that makes my neck really hurt. I'm sitting up and no neck pain!

Unfortunately, when I was 75% done I realized I wasn't always wrapping in the same direction so this may be hard to get out. I will let you all know when I'm done in a few hours.

trampledbygeese
March 10th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Wow. That's great.

I could never have enough patience to dye my own hair like that.

gthlvrmx
March 10th, 2012, 07:06 PM
:) I liked the bun i think ill do it this way from now on

Kitkey
March 10th, 2012, 07:35 PM
I sorta did that once. I started from the front and did little sections. I twisted the sections up and then rolled them up and stuck them to my head. It kept everything much neater.

Aliped
March 10th, 2012, 08:44 PM
That's how I've always done it, I don't know any other way...

Noas
March 11th, 2012, 04:17 AM
This i'll have to try, seems very easy. But how about tangling of the hair?
And with quite long hair will this also work? Would be nice to not have sticky hairs in my neck while applying:)

Viola88
March 11th, 2012, 04:58 AM
I think that would work great for people who henna/indigo etc the whole head every time. I am a roots only henna person so I would be afraid that wrapping my non-roots hair around in the henna bun would cause henna to get on the unhennaed hair.

Iolanthe13
March 11th, 2012, 05:04 AM
I tried something like that this past time. But my clarified and unconditioned hair was so frizzy I could barely separate the sections... I ended up separating into five sections or so and just wrapping each one around my head. They were too muddy to get more tangled, and I didn't have trouble rinsing. I suspect this would work for very long hair too.

rock007junkie
March 11th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Today is henna day for me so I may do this. Seems less messy than my method.

MoonLover
March 11th, 2012, 10:02 AM
So last night was an almost success. My hair did not get more tangled than normal but I couldn't seem to get all of the henna out. Although, I did use double than I normally use because I wanted to do more than just roots.

I think I will do it like this again, it really does help keep henna off of your neck and back!

rock007junkie
March 11th, 2012, 10:22 AM
I just finished applying this way. It was less messy than usual. I also felt that starting to apply from the center was a better way of distributing the henna.

DragonFlyPie
March 11th, 2012, 09:47 PM
This looks way easier than how I currently do my hair... which is just to apply in sections, starting with the roots & ending up with a horrible tangled mess as I try to get all the length saturated LOL my hair is thick & hip length & hair dying alone is a chore. But I will seriously give this method a try next time around. I usually color in the nude lol & end up covered in henna. This looks way less messy. :-)

Thanks for sharing!

MoonLover
March 11th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Glad to help! My hair is a lot shorter and henna is usually an annoyingly long and messy process for me too.

hellucy
March 12th, 2012, 03:59 AM
This definately looks like an easier & less messy way to apply henna. I've only used henna a few times & have always made such a mess next time I'm trying it this way! - thanks for sharing

malwes
March 12th, 2012, 06:18 AM
Well, this is an interesting way. I have to try.
I usually use a big brush but I am starting from my right ear :). I put henna on the hair around the year and then try to brush next strand (only one side as the bottom was already covered, again new strand and henna put on it...and continue until the centre of my head. And then following left to the second ear. Back of my head leaving for the end, and endings, and line of my hair as last. I do not why, but I manage to do this having almost no mess, no many drops etc.

But this one may also be a good one, especially for longer hair.

Neya
March 12th, 2012, 02:15 PM
I tried this on my daughter today with cassia.
It was really easy to do and rinse. Plus she finally got to be like mommy and "henna".

gabee
March 15th, 2012, 10:00 AM
This worked really well. It took a bit longer than my usual application (aka smooshing it in everywhere), but it holds really well and I have no drips!

DragonFlyPie
March 15th, 2012, 02:11 PM
I used this method last night - did a full head of henna. (Used 100g each of Jamila, Rajasthani, & Cassia. Added honey, cinnamon, amla, lime juice, VO5 Strawberry MM & chamomile tea to approximately the consistency of greek yogurt.)

Application was SO easy this way! Normally I guess I start with the roots, and then try to fight my way through the rest of the hair (total nightmare & I end up covered with henna from head to toe, because I have gloppy, tangled henna hair dangling all over me.)

I still ended up with henna all over my arms, chest & shoulders - but I think that is kind of unavoidable when you have waist/hip length hair & you have to color it on your own. LOL I think half of my bathroom ends up spotted in henna - floor, walls, ceiling - random odd places. ;)

Anyway - application this way went much faster for me, definitely less mess on me & the surrounding area. I also slathered extra henna on my growing "bee-hive" as I went along. I wrapped the hair in saran wrap, shower cap & a t-shirt, then went to bed.

Rinsed out in several buckets of water in the bathtub. I was worried it might be difficult rinsing out, as it was one huge clump on my head - but the different sections actually peeled away from the "bee-hive" rather easily & I didn't have any troubles.

Definitely a win =)

MoonLover
March 15th, 2012, 04:03 PM
I'm so happy it's working for everyone :cheese:

DragonFlyPie, I still make a mess too but I think that's because I don't both to be neat:p The way I henna is: I put a mirror facing my bathtub and then sit in the bathtub (naked of course!) and henna my hair. That way when I'm done I just rinse off and put on a robe. Also, I wanted to ask you how you got your hair so red, is that just from henna? Or also a vegetable dye? I really like it!

Noas
March 15th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Am i the only one who didn't like it? Time consuming in my case, but less messy, yeah.

Scarlet_Heart
March 15th, 2012, 04:11 PM
That's interesting for sure, but I'm curious how long it took you to apply it this way? It seems time consuming and involved.

I just make my henna a little on the runnier side and then I just smoosh it, for lack of a better word, all over my head, massaging into the scalp/roots. Then I work my way down the length. The whole thing takes 15 minutes, tops.

moxamoll
March 15th, 2012, 04:14 PM
It would work well for doing the full length, but I agree that just for roots - not so well. I'd be willing to try it once, but I'm wish Scarlet_Heart, I just smoosh and it doesn't really make that much of a mess.

DragonFlyPie
March 17th, 2012, 02:54 AM
I'm so happy it's working for everyone :cheese:

DragonFlyPie, I still make a mess too but I think that's because I don't both to be neat:p The way I henna is: I put a mirror facing my bathtub and then sit in the bathtub (naked of course!) and henna my hair. That way when I'm done I just rinse off and put on a robe. Also, I wanted to ask you how you got your hair so red, is that just from henna? Or also a vegetable dye? I really like it!

I just stand in front of my bathroom mirror & hope for the best :D Then just wash off the spots with a wet cloth (mostly it's from my dangly hair slapping me as i am trying to twist it up & out of the way.)

I used Manic Panic in Red Passion to get that super intense red. Hot Hot Pink works well too, but it comes out more pink-fuchsia than ruby red. I TRY to leave my manic panic on clean hair for 8-10 hours for the deepest, longest lasting color (I think 4hrs would be the minimum for best results.) And i rarely get much fading that way. It's always very dark for the first week or two. I CO-wash, which helps maintain the bright red. I might shampoo once every 1-2 weeks. The shampoo will pull out the manic panic color, so sometimes I do shampoo a few times (several days apart at least) to help lighten the really dark color on the hair. Then when it's nice & bright & glowing red, I try to stick with just CO-washing as much as possible. I can generally go 6-8 weeks without needing to re-dye, and I usually only do that because my roots are showing (lots of greys!) It seems to dye my greys well, too, but the red tends to fade a bit faster on them.

Now I'm using henna, and occasionally using manic panic if i need a more intense ruby red color. :p

I don't have any issue with color bleeding all over stuff using manic panic, but i think i'm one of few in that category. I used something called Special Effects once & it rubbed off on all my shirts, pillow cases, etc for the entire time it was on my head. Horrible stuff!:mad:

DragonFlyPie
March 17th, 2012, 03:07 AM
That's interesting for sure, but I'm curious how long it took you to apply it this way? It seems time consuming and involved.

I just make my henna a little on the runnier side and then I just smoosh it, for lack of a better word, all over my head, massaging into the scalp/roots. Then I work my way down the length. The whole thing takes 15 minutes, tops.

I wish I had timed this! LOL Maybe I'll guess & say 30 minutes? It really did go a lot faster for me than the usual method I used prior (doing roots first, & working my way to the ends in no particularly organized manner.)

I am finding that I prefer to use a much thicker henna paste. When i used the thinner ones in the past, like a henna gloss i guess, no matter how tight I tried to wrap my head with cling-wrap, etc, I would end up with henna running down my temples & neck within 2 hours. Was impossible to sleep with it like that, because it was so messy. I'd try shoving extra padding around the hairline to stop the slop (:D LOL) but that never worked too well.

So using a very thick henna mix that will not run was super tricky. Being a newbie, i just tried applying it like i would any other dye :doh: - and ended up with a horrible tangled mess that was nearly impossible to work with & extremely difficult to evenly distribute the henna. Tried doing small sections, but i could never get them all clipped up out of the way, and that just made things more confusing. Now the light bulb has gone off & I can do my hair fast & easily. Yay :p

Scarlet_Heart
March 17th, 2012, 11:27 AM
I wish I had timed this! LOL Maybe I'll guess & say 30 minutes? It really did go a lot faster for me than the usual method I used prior (doing roots first, & working my way to the ends in no particularly organized manner.)

I am finding that I prefer to use a much thicker henna paste. When i used the thinner ones in the past, like a henna gloss i guess, no matter how tight I tried to wrap my head with cling-wrap, etc, I would end up with henna running down my temples & neck within 2 hours. Was impossible to sleep with it like that, because it was so messy. I'd try shoving extra padding around the hairline to stop the slop (:D LOL) but that never worked too well.

So using a very thick henna mix that will not run was super tricky. Being a newbie, i just tried applying it like i would any other dye :doh: - and ended up with a horrible tangled mess that was nearly impossible to work with & extremely difficult to evenly distribute the henna. Tried doing small sections, but i could never get them all clipped up out of the way, and that just made things more confusing. Now the light bulb has gone off & I can do my hair fast & easily. Yay :p

I recently found that if I don't pile my hair on top of my head and if I use two plastic caps, I don't get the leaking and running. I think thick henna paste is harsher on my hair because it's courser. When I work in a decent amount of tea, aloe vera juice, and coconut oil, it works in really easily and washes out easily, thereby being gentler on my hair.

Boudicae
March 26th, 2012, 03:26 PM
I did this method for my most recent henna gloss, and it was way easier to apply evenly, with the added bonus that the weight was balanced better on my head. Hooray!

littleizz
March 26th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Interesting! I did notice that the henna was ridiculously heavy when I piled it on top of my head, it really did bother my neck.

...did anyone else notice that she said Alma instead of Amla?

Aaroo
April 26th, 2012, 06:01 AM
I just used this method and I am so happy that I saw the video before the application. Without this I wouldn't have been able to apply henna to all my hair evenly as I have just lots of hair on my head, and if I wanted to just apply the mud on the whole! some parts would remain untouched.

Bagginslover
April 27th, 2012, 03:21 AM
I used this method for my recent henna-ing, and it worked great! It was my first application though, so I don't have anything to compare it to. I plan to do my root applicaltions in a similar way-but starting from my nape and work up and forwards, then braid all the loose, clean ends togther at high pony level, and poke them out through the plastic wrap to keep the henna off them ;)