PDA

View Full Version : Wispys are driving me crazy - Suggestions?

speshe
March 10th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Here's a link to a picture in my album since I can't post pictures, I guess. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=9961&pictureid=128440) :confused:

I have what I call "wispys". Little hairs that stick out all over the place and they are driving me nuts. I don't use styling products so there isn't much I can do about them, I guess. Ok, sometimes I give in and use hair spray, but I hate it.

I used to pluck these little hairs, but since coming here, I started thinking maybe they were new growth. What do you guys think?

Metallia
March 10th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Some are probably new growth, some may be breakage if you pull your hair back, some may just be wispy bits that don't grow long because they are near your hairline. "Angel hairs" I've heard those ones called.
Mine are the worst after I wash and dry my hair, after that they stay flatter over the next couple days. Mostly I've had to make peace with them. :meditate: "Arguing" with them doesn't seem to help! But I know how they can be frustrating.
Good luck with yours!
PS, Your hair in your signature is *gorgeous!* Wow!

Mina17
March 10th, 2012, 02:24 PM
I use aloe vera gel to smooth down the wispies.

Madora
March 10th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Using a tiny bit of coconut oil will help tame those whispies!

Bagginslover
March 10th, 2012, 02:46 PM
I have them too,have for years. I used to pluck them in my parting, but then it started to get thin! I still itch to pluck them sometimes, but I make myself stop as I'm scared of it getting thin again.

StPaulaGirl
March 10th, 2012, 02:50 PM
I was just about to post this very same question today! I never really noticed them too much before I joined LHC, so I can't say for certain they've always been there, but lately I seem to have a lot. I even have some around my hairline that I know have never been there before. How could it be breakage if I'm treating my hair more gently since I joined a couple months ago? :confused:

I've been using coconut oil to smooth them down, and that does help. I just take a small amount, rub it between my palms, and then smooth my hands over the area a few times. That usually does the trick, but it does seem to be a constant battle.

jaine
March 10th, 2012, 02:56 PM
I think if you want to control them completely you'll probably need to compromise on "no products."
I don't like most products either because the smells give me a headache. But I like Max Green Alchemy gel. It's completely natural and smells a little bit like lemon but it's not a strong scent at all.

spidermom
March 10th, 2012, 03:54 PM
They are most likely new hairs, and all of us get them, although they show up more in some hair types than in others. Coconut oil does nothing to tame mine. I can either rub aloe vera gel or styling gel between wet palms, then stroke my palms over the surface of my hair. That sticks most of them down as long as I don't touch my hair. If I really want a smooth appearance, I have to break out the styling paste, wax, pomade, or putty. A little goes a LONG way; I only need to stroke one finger across the product, then across each individual stubborn hair. That works better than anything else.

I'd avoid the hair spray if I were you. It can dry out your hair.

Vanilla
March 10th, 2012, 03:54 PM
I have these too, everywhere around my part. I am finding they are also sticking out every which direction. I used to tame them using aloe gel,but that doesn't seem to be working well for me anymore.

jacqueline101
March 11th, 2012, 08:53 AM
I had a clump of them show up under my pixie side pieces my fringe that is. I gave them my side pieces a trim to my lobes and the clumps I gave a micro trim and in another month they will be pony tail length. Where they will stay in a pony tail. I use flip clips ones that are triangle shaped and snap close.

Kelikea
March 11th, 2012, 09:07 AM
I wear a headband to sort of mask mine, but my hair is wavy, so they blend in a bit. Don't pluck them because new ones will grow and look just the same:) If the ends are pointy or tapered, they are new growth (yay) and if they are more blunt, then its probably breakage (boo). If its breakage, try to figure out what is doing the damage there and stop it. Ha, ha. Just do a different updo or whatever to keep the hair from breaking in that spot all the time.

XcaliburGirl
March 11th, 2012, 10:00 AM
I use coconut oil or a tiny bit of wax if they are really static prone on certain days. Also, I like to use a quick mist of spray wax on damp hair sometimes if I want to look extra nice and avoid the issue as my hair dries. I don't do that often, though, since I don't like products in my hair either.

Keep in mind, your wispy hairs aren't nearly as noticeable to other people as they are to you! So, if you really don't want to use product, then try to ignore them. I never notice those hairs on anyone except for myself when I look in the mirror.