View Full Version : Olive oil & Hair care ,how do you use it ?

ReadHeadGirl
March 10th, 2012, 10:12 AM
I have never used olive oil on my hair.

-First of all does it have to be regular olive oil, or is it better extra virgin olive oil ?
-Do you just apply and massage it on hair,scalp,and leave it for several hours,and shampoo ? any other ideas ?

how do you do yours?

heidi w.
March 10th, 2012, 10:15 AM
I posted a how-to oil youtube video. The link is in this thread, in post #1. I do not use olive oil, however. I use coconut oil, and the video explains. Hopefully this is helpful to you.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=89834

heidi w.

heidi w.
March 10th, 2012, 10:16 AM
I posted a how-to oil youtube video just the other day (yesterday). The link is in this thread, in post #1. I do not use olive oil, however. I use coconut oil, and the video explains. Hopefully this is helpful to you.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=89834

heidi w.

Diamond.Eyes
March 10th, 2012, 10:16 AM
I use extra virgin olive oil on my hair. I will often mix it with my deep conditioner or just apply it directly to my ends the night before a wash and let it soak in. I never put it on my scalp unless it is mixed with a lighter oil. It is quite a heavy oil, but the benefits are amazing :D.

Madora
March 10th, 2012, 10:40 AM
I only EVOO once a month, with Bertoli extra virgin olive oil.

My hair is shampooed, conditioned and air dried. Next day, I detangle thoroughly, then put a little less than 1/4th of a cup of EVOO in a shallow bowl. I use my fingers to apply the oil all over my hair, so that it ends up slightly damp, but not dripping.

The hair is then braided in a bun on top of my head.

I take 3 large sheets of Saran Wrap ("cling" wrap) and wrap them all over my head so that all the hair is covered..and leave it on overnight.

Shampoo out the EVOO the next day and condition a little afterwards. No scent of oil remains.

Leaves my hair feeling terrific and provides fantastic slip for braiding.

Kristin
March 10th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I use EVOO occasionally. I've used it after washing and conditioning as a sealant, and for deep oiling. If I deep oil with it, I put enough in the length that it looks oily and then braid it. Then shampoo and condition the following day. If I seal with it, I just rub a tiny bit over the ends and length and distribute it with a BBB.

curlsgalore
March 10th, 2012, 12:22 PM
My hair tends to love oils. I use EVOO for heavy oilings and as a leave-in and mixed with coconut oil. I love EVOO and coconut oil!! I usually soak my hair with the oil of choice and let it sit in my hair as long as possible. I massage my scalp and detangle with a wide tooth comb and then brush my hair, wrap it up...and then wash as normal. :)

I do this at least once a week, sometimes twice because it feels so good.

jeanniet
March 10th, 2012, 02:19 PM
My hair is really liking EVOO lately. After I wash my hair, I use a few drops on the ends and work up the length (on damp/partially dried hair, not right out of the shower). I also have a mister bottle with about 4 oz. of distilled water, 1/4 tsp. EVOO, and 1/2 tsp. of aloe vera gel to spray on if my hair needs a bit more moisture--often I'll spray my hair, cover with a sleep cap, and let it absorb overnight. In the morning my hair is very happy. In the past when I've used EVOO it seemed too easy to overdo it, but not now. Maybe that's because my hair is longer and needs it more.