PDA

View Full Version : Faking Super Curls! *Pic Heavy*

mzBANGBANG
March 10th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Vanity time!

I did a head-full of tiny foam rollers last night on 95% dry, leave-in conditioned and CO-washed hair. I knew the results were going to be crazy compared to my natural hair and didn't know if I was even going to be able to work with it. Well, it worked! I love it!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9956&pictureid=128396 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9956&pictureid=128393

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9956&pictureid=128395

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9956&pictureid=128394

And my air-dryed hair a couple months ago!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9407&pictureid=122189

Thanks for viewing! :blossom:

terylenerose
March 10th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Nice curls! I wish my hair would do that.

1nuitblanche
March 10th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Wow! What a difference they made! Did they stay in well?

SwordWomanRiona
March 10th, 2012, 09:00 AM
I love your results!! Those curls are gorgeous! I really want to try this too :)
How long did they stay in your hair?

Oksana
March 10th, 2012, 09:03 AM
That looks so pretty! How long did you leave the rollers in?

MidnightStar
March 10th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Love it! Did you just use the tiny foam rollers you can buy at Target, CostCo etc? I've been trying to find a no-heat way to get curls like that, will have to try it! :)

mzBANGBANG
March 10th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Thanks everyone!

This is actually some this morning so I have all day to figure out how well they'll stay in. I was so excited with my results I had to post :D I've never been able to get my hair this curly with no heat but the tiny rollers came with the medium ones so I figured why not try it.

Having them out for 2 hours though I can honestly say they haven't so much as budged. I fingercombed them, secured them back and left the house. I imagine by the evening they will fall a bit more to APL length but I'm guessing the curls will still be in tact since they're so tight. I'll do another pic update later!

mzBANGBANG
March 10th, 2012, 09:08 AM
That looks so pretty! How long did you leave the rollers in?

Thanks! I got them finished at around 11pm and woke up at 8 with them completely dry. I think it only takes a couple hours really so if you did this in the morning and took them out at noon chances are the results would be similar. 3-4 hours should be more than enough, I'm erring on the safe side.

mzBANGBANG
March 10th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Love it! Did you just use the tiny foam rollers you can buy at Target, CostCo etc? I've been trying to find a no-heat way to get curls like that, will have to try it! :)

These are the ones I have (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Foam-Roller-48-Pack/10323109). Just generic cheapies. I used maybe 6 of the yellow ones around the top of my head and then did the remaining hair with the blue. I had plenty left over, too.

melusine963
March 10th, 2012, 09:28 AM
That's quite dramatic! Your curls look great.

lunalocks
March 10th, 2012, 09:37 AM
beautiful curls! These are what I get when I use the long, skinny tubes. However, my hair is much longer, and the curl falls out gradually even though it is still very wavy the following day. I do not do this very often, as I notice more splits about a month after. So beware.

mzBANGBANG
March 10th, 2012, 09:44 AM
beautiful curls! These are what I get when I use the long, skinny tubes. However, my hair is much longer, and the curl falls out gradually even though it is still very wavy the following day. I do not do this very often, as I notice more splits about a month after. So beware.

Thanks for the tip! It does seem to make my ends dryer, I'm hoping the coating of leave-in conditioner helps a little.

Diamond.Eyes
March 10th, 2012, 09:58 AM
I remember my hair used to do that when I would use sponge rollers. It was a lot shorter then though. My DF would call them "angel curls". :) Your curls look very angelic :p!

jacqueline101
March 10th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Your hair is so beautiful.

Kizuna
March 10th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Beautiful curls! :D Now I wanna try it too!

kidari
March 10th, 2012, 08:08 PM
OMG I love it! We should start a heatless curl thread if it doesn't exist yet!

PixxieStix
March 10th, 2012, 08:16 PM
That turned out much prettier on your head than it did mine! :D The curls are gorgeous, and they suit you very well. Lovely, just lovely. Do let us know how they work out in the long run!

curlsgalore
March 10th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Very pretty!!

kitcatsmeow
March 10th, 2012, 08:23 PM
First off...wish my hair would air dry like that! I have naturally wavy hair. Grrr. And second. I LOVE you glasses.

Curls look awesome too.

cuddledumplin
March 10th, 2012, 08:25 PM
That is so pretty! I never could sleep in curlers though.

Beckstar
March 10th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Gorgeous! They look natural.

Charlotte
March 11th, 2012, 06:12 AM
Absolutely GORGEOUS curls!!! :blossom:

Of the Fae
March 11th, 2012, 07:28 AM
It looks absolutely awesome! Like a porcelain dolls curls :P very classic looking

tamchronic
March 11th, 2012, 07:41 AM
Breathtaking curls! I second the previous comment: they remind me of a porcelain doll. I'd love if it my hair could do that, too. Was there any particular setting pattern you used? How small were your sections?

3azza
March 11th, 2012, 09:50 AM
I love it too, it looks amazing!

mzBANGBANG
March 11th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Thank you everyone for your kind words and compliments! They are very appreciated!

As for an update.... as the day went on, the curls only looked better! When I started they were up to my shoulder and by the end of the night they hung about APL... quite an impressive fall-rate! Usual curls on me last maybe 4 hours and then I am left thinking why did I spend all this time curling my hair? So this is definitely my new technique. I slept with my hair in a pony tail last night to see how much I could recover... it looks OK but I haven't detangled yet. I think they will look like a natural wurlie pattern once I decide to pull a comb through it. There are still tons of ringlets in tact.

Tamchronic I didn't use any pattern in particular but I did take caution in putting maybe 2 inch thick sections of hair in the rollers. Usually, I can do my whole head in 6 rollers and get a more relaxed look, but this time I think I used about 16 rollers total.

In the morning there was NOTHING I could do about the front of my hair so I had to pull it back, but mid-day I was able to take it down and it fell naturally in place.

And I second a "heat-free curls" thread!!! That's one of my favorite mini-obsessions!

vintage88
March 11th, 2012, 09:53 AM
aw lovely curls! Great results :)

BrightEyes
March 11th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Beautiful curls!!!!

Nordlys
March 11th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Very nice result, and natural looking too :)

Idjit
March 11th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Oh, I love this!

ashke50
March 11th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Looks stunning - very impressive!

cfreya
March 11th, 2012, 04:45 PM
And I second a "heat-free curls" thread!!! That's one of my favorite mini-obsessions!

I third this! My hair air dries straight like yours so as human nature goes I always want to make it wavy! Have you ever tried sock buns?

lindaton
March 11th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Pretty curls.

JellyBene
March 11th, 2012, 09:04 PM
they look awesome! and Kidari, great idea! I will start one right now!

Maelyssa
March 11th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Simply beautiful curls!

darklion
March 12th, 2012, 12:43 AM
OH MY!!!
How fun is that??
I love it.

Safira
March 12th, 2012, 02:17 AM
I love your vanity time :D It seems you had exra-fun. Curls look good on you.

dragaica
March 12th, 2012, 02:32 AM
Looks great - how long did the curls make it?:D

GettingThere
March 12th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Ooo, very pretty! My hair just will not curl that nicely:)

einna
March 12th, 2012, 09:19 AM
They are so beautiful! Did you put a sleep cap over the foam curlers when you went to bed? And did you use any hairspray or product?

Venefica
March 12th, 2012, 09:25 AM
That is beautiful. I could never get my hair to give me much curl back when I was a teenager and wanted them. I even went to the hairdresser and had perm put in, they had to do it twice for it to take at all and even then the hair got straight again after a very short amount of time. Your curls look amazing though.

spidermom
March 12th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Excellent result

racrane
March 12th, 2012, 10:30 AM
I like to do the foam rollers too. It makes my wavy hair very curly. I find that they usually hold up all day. If I wasn't such a rush and go type I'd do it more often. Yours look very lovely, great job. :)

mzBANGBANG
March 12th, 2012, 01:21 PM
They are so beautiful! Did you put a sleep cap over the foam curlers when you went to bed? And did you use any hairspray or product?

I wrap with a scarf as I never remember to pick up a sleep cap! I usually get zero frizz if my hair is somewhat wet and wrapped in a scarf overnight.

I did end up using some hair spray later in the day as they were falling out. I was able to reshape them with the spray and they held up the next day (not quite as well but definitely wearable!)

einna
March 12th, 2012, 05:29 PM
I wrap with a scarf as I never remember to pick up a sleep cap! I usually get zero frizz if my hair is somewhat wet and wrapped in a scarf overnight.

I did end up using some hair spray later in the day as they were falling out. I was able to reshape them with the spray and they held up the next day (not quite as well but definitely wearable!)

Thank you for the info, that is really helpful. :)

Avital88
March 12th, 2012, 05:55 PM
oh i like this type of curls! looks great

ratgirldjh
March 12th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Beautiful! I used to do this with the kind of foam rollers with the wire in them and then you twist them closed. I remember the first time I did it (with water wet hair) I was shocked!!! Then I did it with mousse and OMG!!!

It sure is fun isn't it?