PDA

View Full Version : Hair grew 2 inches in 3 months - normal?

redsoles
March 10th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Hello. I'm sort of new (not really I made this account a long time ago!)

My hair used to be very very long! I have 3c hair, sometimes a little looser than that. I'm 5'1" and I cut my hair about 3 months ago - it me really depressed my stylist ruined my long hair and cut it up to my chin. So I stopped relaxing, and stressing my hair out... I mainly wash once a month, leave hair up, or French braid it, massage almost every day with olive and castor oil. I take folic acid, Msm, and multi vitamins.

I measured today, and my hair grew approximately 2 inches in 3 months. My hair grows "fast" for a black girl, lots of people think my family is mixed but we are 100% African (I think) I want to know is my growth typical for that time frame? When I stretch it, it's probably around 1cm from shoulders. I want to grows 12 inches. How long will that take do you think?

Have any of you experienced a lot of growth in a short time frame?

Amber_Maiden
March 10th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Yep, I used to grow 1.75in a month, and now it's more about two inches in 3 months.

Can't say how long it will take you to grow 12in, besides doing the basic math, which would be that it would take you a year and a half. The problem is is that your hair might end up growing slower in that time, for any number of reasons- stress, change in diet, etc. It's best not to count on having grown 12in by the year and a half mark.

misspurdy06
March 10th, 2012, 07:54 AM
That's great growth!

Sounds like you get 2/3rds of an inch a month.

Your hair should grow faster in the summer. The more you move and get your blood flowing the faster it will grow.

Do you take fish oil too? It helps your body absorb more of the vitamins you take. A lot of vitamins and minerals are only fat soluble.

redsoles
March 10th, 2012, 08:16 AM
No but I used to take fish oil when I was smaller. I will definitely get back to taking them. Oh and I also drink a lot of water. To be honest up until a month so my diet was horrible. All I eat is junk food.

redsoles
March 10th, 2012, 08:25 AM
And thanks :)! I notice when I leave my hair alone it seems to grow better

spidermom
March 10th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Last time I measured and kept records, that was my average growth over summer and fall.

Diamond.Eyes
March 10th, 2012, 10:27 AM
That sounds about right :). When I keep up on my supplements I usually get 1 ½" or more in a month.

jacqueline101
March 10th, 2012, 10:32 AM
I'd say that's normal. Some people have growth spurts where they might grow more or slower growth moments.

redsoles
March 10th, 2012, 05:53 PM
I also know a woman who took folic acid for a year and experienced 12 inches of growth in 9 months

redsoles
March 10th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Also, I don't know what the average growth is for hair. What is it?

Miss Catrina
March 10th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Average growth is a half inch per month. I can't speak for variations dependent on ethnicity, but it sounds like you're growing slightly faster than average.

CaityBear
March 10th, 2012, 06:04 PM
I used to grow a solid inch a month but then around waist it slowed down and now at classic it barely grows.

Mrsbaybeegurl
March 10th, 2012, 06:11 PM
From what I know 1/2 is the average growth rate of hair per month. I know hair is also supposed to slow during colder months and speed up during the warmer ones. My hair sometimes doesn't really show growth for months and then out of no where it seems like it grows like crazy. I guess if I charted it it would still average to the 1/2 inch per month. As of lately though I have begun taking supplements that I'm hoping gives me more than that! :) (Biotin and MSM )

Vampyria
March 10th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Hair is suppose to grow in average 1/2 inch per month. I'm taking folic acid and vitamin B12 for about 9 month now, but unfortunately my hair still grows just a bit more than 1/2 inch.
I found similar thread: :)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1888&highlight=growth+rate

icallitbliss
March 10th, 2012, 08:57 PM
That sounds about right :). When I keep up on my supplements I usually get 1 ½" or more in a month.

What kind of supplements do you use? I'd love to get that much in a month! :)

About a week ago, I just started taking hair/nail/skin vitamins...I hope they do something!

MonaLisa
March 10th, 2012, 09:00 PM
I think growth rate isn't always constant...it can change depending on season, weather, your health/nutrition/hormones...
I grow 1/2 inch per month in the winter, but it's more at spring/summer....and maybe the most in autumn, when I also shed the most :)

Silverbrumby
March 10th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Mine is 1/4 inch a month.