PDA

View Full Version : I may yet be going purple! :)

Long_hair_bear
March 9th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Ok so I thought I was going to graduate from college this may and have to find a professional job. Apparently, my college doesn't agree. So, since I'm stuck in college longer, I may go ahead with the purple dye on my dark brown hair. Anyone know of a dark purple dye that shows up on dark purple hair? I tried mp purple haze and it didn't even leave a tint.

Sammich
March 9th, 2012, 05:58 PM
YESYES, YES.

I don't know. I've never tried a purple dye, but... I want purple in my hair (When I get my natural hair back) AND, want to see purple!!!

purplepurpleurple. :)

Long_hair_bear
March 9th, 2012, 05:59 PM
YESYES, YES.

I don't know. I've never tried a purple dye, but... I want purple in my hair (When I get my natural hair back) AND, want to see purple!!!

purplepurpleurple. :)

We need a like button. Like like like! :D

spidermom
March 9th, 2012, 06:11 PM
I've got Purple Haze on hand, ready to dye my hair like an Easter egg. haha

Sammich
March 9th, 2012, 06:16 PM
We need a like button. Like like like! :D

*Likes*

:D

We do need a like button on LHC. Wonder if the mods can add that, LOL! But then that'd be encouraging lurkers and less contributions! :p

^ Spidermom, your easter eggs are purple? :O Or... you dye your eastereggs? LOL! :p

HylianGirl
March 9th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Did someone say purple? GO FOR IT =D

hehehe, I love purple as well, but I just don't have the patience to keep touching up roots when it comes to dying hair, I also don't know much about hair dye... but I totally give you support on it ^-^ What tone are you looking for?

Long_hair_bear
March 9th, 2012, 06:39 PM

hehehe, I love purple as well, but I just don't have the patience to keep touching up roots when it comes to dying hair, I also don't know much about hair dye... but I totally give you support on it ^-^ What tone are you looking for?

Dark purple definitely!

sarahbrownie
March 9th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Ok so I thought I was going to graduate from college this may and have to find a professional job. Apparently, my college doesn't agree. So, since I'm stuck in college longer, I may go ahead with the purple dye on my dark brown hair.

So jealous!

I've been wanting to dye my hair but I'm graduating and going on those interviews soon. I'm hoping I can work somewhere that will accept some funky hair. I really want to dread my hair, but I don't know if that would hinder me at all when it comes to the job search. Better safe than sorry.

spidermom
March 9th, 2012, 07:32 PM

You don't have to touch up roots with a Manic Panic-like product. It gradually fades out, although traces of the color can remain for a l o n g time.

AnqeIicDemise
March 9th, 2012, 07:39 PM
I use special effects. I do have bleached hair though. I get the roots done every four months or so. In the mean time I put in the purple and let it fade completely. Since I CWC wash twice a week it lasts. I didn't go completely blonde though. I just lifted the hair about four shades lighter than natural. When I put in the purple it looks black but with every wash it gets lighter. Eventually it turns hot pinkish.

You can DEFINITELY see the purple in the sunlight though, regardless of how dark it is. Like, indoors no one is the wiser upon a fresh application but as soon as I step out its obvious.

13bodies
March 9th, 2012, 08:53 PM
I will be 42 years old in 2 weeks. I hold a professional job. But now I WANT TO DYE MY HAIR PURPLE!!!!

D@mmit.

Maybe I"ll dye one of the cats instead.

sweetestpoison
March 9th, 2012, 08:57 PM
my friend swears by special effects, and they are pretty much guaranteed to have a shade you like n_n

Revontuletar
March 9th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Oooooh go for it! I used Punky colour violet on my dark blonde hair at the roots (see my "green hair" pics) and it turned out a really dark violet - like violet paint. It's real dark and probably would work on brown hair, but I'm not sure though.

nellreno
March 10th, 2012, 02:10 AM
One color that I want to try (once Special Effects dyes come back in stock) is Special Effects Deep Purple. Here's a gallery of it: http://www.hairdyegallery.co.uk/sfx-deeppurple.html

pink.sara
March 10th, 2012, 04:31 AM
I currently have special effects deep purple in as they didn't have my usual crazy colour dye at the wholesalers.

It's very blue based purple on my white streak and is uber bright, but on my very dark brown roots its also surprisingly visable, it shines like a blueberry in sunlight and has made the roots very plummy coloured.

I prefer these to manic panic purples as those never stuck around on my daily washed hair very long.

Good luck and post pics! :D

theodora
March 10th, 2012, 05:18 AM
Yea Manic Panic purples definitely don't last. Directions Violet (also called Punky Colour) is good, especially regarding the value for money. I have a Crazy Colour red on at the moment and it's lasting super well, so another one that's good value for money.
Never tried SFX but people rave about it. I've heard it sticks really well and can be hard to remove, so for people who like to experiment and change often, it's not the best.

Whatever you do, strand test first!

Long_hair_bear
March 10th, 2012, 05:46 AM
I'm not a special effects fan. I used it once and never again. It got everywhere, and I do mean everywhere and would not come out. It even stained while my hair was dry! I may try directions plum and see how it goes. I'll have to wait about two weeks to do it though as I'm going out to see my mom and I doubt she wants a purple bathroom. :-)

bluebird77
March 10th, 2012, 06:11 AM
I hope it works out and I'd like to see photos if possible. I have Directions Violet and Plum (among others) in the cupboard waiting for a trial and I think my natural colour is similar to yours. In no hurry though as I just put Dark Tulip in yesterday (no pre-lightening). It's very dark indoors but awesome colour in the right light. I started a new thread here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=89880) for people to show the results of these types of dyes and posted my dark tulip pics there today. Will be interested to see how yours turns out before I try the purples.

HylianGirl
March 11th, 2012, 09:31 AM
You don't have to touch up roots with a Manic Panic-like product. It gradually fades out, although traces of the color can remain for a l o n g time.

That's interesting, I would never put permanent dies in my hair ever again, one that fades seems really nice... does it fade completelly? I guess someday I could try on the hairs at the nape to see if I'd like it all over it... *thinking* I'll seach more about manic panic

HylianGirl
March 11th, 2012, 09:34 AM
I will be 42 years old in 2 weeks. I hold a professional job. But now I WANT TO DYE MY HAIR PURPLE!!!!

D@mmit.

Maybe I"ll dye one of the cats instead.

Aw, what a shame, damn jobs that require us to look professional! I never dyed my hair a crazy colour, but now that my hair has finally recovered from some past hair accidents I didn't feel like dyeng it, but then I remember that I'm still on college so it would be ok for me to have a crazy colour and that I might not be able to it again in a couple of years when I start working for real and now I have this dillema x.x

Maybe you could try dying just the hair at the nape so you can hide it when you go to work?

Cimorene
March 11th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Don't some varieties of henna basically turn your hair purple if you leave them on long enough? :hmm: