PDA

View Full Version : What is panthenol?

Clem_Dela
March 9th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Vo5 has a few products advertising that they restore damaged hair and prevent split ends with panthenol. Can anyone tell me what it is and whether it's good for hair- in the long run?

Zydrate
March 9th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Hello :)
In my country panthenol (liquid) is very popular :) people mix it with nettle shampoo, a and d vitamins or just apply it like a leave in conditioner. It's good for hair growth.
(I don't know what is it lol)

misspriss
March 9th, 2012, 11:59 AM
From Wikipedia:

Panthenol is the alcohol analog of pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), and is thus a provitamin of B5

I was thinking it was B5 for some reason....I don't know if it helps hair, but that is what it is!

ETA: Also fro Wikipedia:

In cosmetics, panthenol is a humectant, emollient and moisturizer. It binds to the hair shaft readily and is a frequent component of shampoos and hair conditioners (in concentrations of 0.1-1%). It coats the hair and seals its surface[citation needed], lubricating the hair shaft and making strands appear shiny. It is also recommended by many tattoo artists as a moisturising cream for new tattoos.

Well, according to Wikipedia, it binds to the hair shaft and is a humectant, emollient, and moisturizer...

moon2dove
March 9th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Yes it's a hydrating form of vitamin B5 - very hydrating. It binds to and lubricates the hair follicles - it gives the hair a shiny coating.

Clem_Dela
March 9th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Excellent, thank you ladies! I love vo5 and I'm glad they're not putting gunk in their shampoos!

akevita2002
March 9th, 2012, 04:10 PM
I used panthenol on my dry hair why no results unfortunately. By dry I mean that my hair is dry; actually I put panthenol on wet hair when I did. I might be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that panthenol attracts/absorbs (I donno how to say it) humidity, so if you don't live somewhere where the atmospheric humidity is significant, the results won't probably be spectacular.

Clem_Dela
March 10th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Funny thing, I've heard the same thing about aloe Vera gel!

Siiri
March 10th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Funny thing, I've heard the same thing about aloe Vera gel!

Aloe vera and panthenol are both humectants, that's how humectants work.