PDA

View Full Version : Multiple split ends on one strand

Chastain
March 9th, 2012, 11:15 AM
I have multiple split ends on some strands of hair. How can i prevent these and how are they different to just the single splits on strands?

heidi w.
March 9th, 2012, 11:48 AM
I have multiple split ends on some strands of hair. How can i prevent these and how are they different to just the single splits on strands?

You can't do much about it other than wear hair up, and take care of your hair. Consider oiling the length, minimally. I hear oiling doesn't work for everyone though. You just have to cut the strand slightly above the highest split. That's what I did.

These happen. It's a kind of split, I call it.

heidi w.

spidermom
March 9th, 2012, 11:53 AM
I get those, too. I know it's something I'm doing (or not doing) because the last time I found a bad split like that, there were 2 right next to each other. Then I found another one this morning, but it was alone. Gah! I hate those splits!

Madora
March 9th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Chastain, the splits are the result of lack of moisture in the hair. To help prevent splits, you might be interested in Ktani's mineral oil article:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

Her article regarding using catnip rinses to help prevent splits is very helpful also (in the Hair Care area of the Articles section).

Do you Search and Destroy regularly? This is an excellent way of keeping those pesky splits down to a minimum. Just be sure and use SHARP shears (otherwise the cutting will bring on more splits).

PS..The hair needs to be moisturized from WITHIN the strand...not just coated on the outside. This does take time but it works, as several members here can attest.

HintOfMint
March 9th, 2012, 12:15 PM
I get those kinds of splits in my underlayer when I continuously wear my hair down when I'm wearing coarse clothes like a wool blazer and then don't keep up with S&Ds. The hair rubs against it in multiple places and tangles like hell and frays. My guess is that the initial split end from friction/initial detangling sessions gets exacerbated by the rubbing and frays much more than it would on any other part of my head.

I mitigate it by slinging my hair in front of my shoulder as often as possible when I wear wool so that it doesn't rub against my back when I move around or lean against my chair. When it's in front of my shoulder, it's more bunched up instead of spread over my back. Also the finer hairs at the nape end up facing up instead of facing down against my body. These two factors lead to less surface area for friction against my jacket and also it keeps me from moving my hair around (more friction). When I'm walking, I tuck it underneath my coat or over my shoulder inside my jacket so it's not moving around so much.

Most importantly, I keep up on S&D. I let it go for a few months and NEVER AGAIN.

Or I could just put it up. But I don't like that.

spidermom
March 9th, 2012, 12:17 PM
I think that the friction of twisting before bunning might be my problem. I try not to twist, but sometimes hair just won't stay up otherwise.

lillikins
March 9th, 2012, 12:32 PM
I get those all the time! >_<

I also get these weird things where the strand splits and then somehow seals itself back together. So it's like... normal strand, split, reseal, normal strand again. And the end is normal and everything.

TiffanieJean
March 9th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I get those A LOT. I have fine hair that is extremely breakage prone. I've counted over 20 split's on 1 hair a multiple times. You may already know some of most of this, but I hope something will help =)

1. Every once in a while go through your hair and find the bad splits. Cut them with a pair of very sharp (hair cutting) scissors. That's called search and destroy (S&D) if you didn't already know.

2. As other ladies have said, oiling does help. Moisture is key! I have noticed a lot less splits after I started using oils. I have been doing Jojoba oil for about a year, and have recently added Castor Oil and Almond Oil to the mix. I use all 3 as a hair mask. I put it in my h air and then put a shower cap on, then leave it in all day. It also helps to use a deep conditioner once a week. I use Aussie's 3 Min Miracle. It's cheap and easy to use.

3. The best thing to prevent split ends is to reduce the amount of heat you expose your hair to. I have made a serious effort to cut down on heat this year. It's made a world of difference. If you do use heat make sure you use a heat protectant every time. Even for blow drying. You could also look into different no-heat methods to curl your hair, of make waves (My favorite is sock buns).

4. Keep up with trims. I self trim about every month of so. Just a dusting (1/4 of an in ish). I haven't had to do it as often now that I don't use a lot of heat.

5. Hair is at it's weakest while wet. While your hair is wet don;t wrap it up too tightly or leave it up in a towel for a long time. Wrap it loosely if you have to and take it down ASAP. You can gently squeeze the water out. This will prevent a lot of damage and frizz. You should only use a wide toothed comb while your hair is wet as well.

jacqueline101
March 9th, 2012, 03:29 PM
I'd say there isn't a lot you can do but prevent them with trims and s&d them.

lunalocks
March 10th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Hello, experts. I, too, am having the splits big time. For the first time I am seeing splits as far as one inch up the shaft, more than usual multiple splits at the very ends and more white dots. I have been s and ding so much that my usual lovely hemline is jagged.

I can't decide if this is because of various new things I have tried (new cones, no cones, CO, CWC, some oils) or the fact that this is the longest my hair has ever been. I have a trim lined for next week, but will probably lose all the growth I have gained in the past 4 months.

I always air dry and am wearing it up more than ever (though AM twisting, but not super tight).

Did you notice increased breakage when you arrived at a certain length? I am at 35 right now.

spidermom
March 10th, 2012, 10:19 AM
I get those all the time! >_<

I also get these weird things where the strand splits and then somehow seals itself back together. So it's like... normal strand, split, reseal, normal strand again. And the end is normal and everything.

I believe those are caused by heat styling. Steam has burst through the cuticle, causing a "key-hole" split. It's not that it split open and then resealed.

rock007junkie
March 10th, 2012, 02:39 PM
I just did my first search and destroy ever (I'm on the no trim challenge this year) and found a couple of those. I think I'll keep up with the S&D because I don't want my hair to get messed up since i won't be cutting my hair for a while. I usually moisturize my ends every morning and every night. Hopefully this will help.