PDA

View Full Version : Curlies: how do you comb your hair?

littlestarface
March 9th, 2012, 09:18 AM
How do you guys comb the hair when its dry and keep the curls intact? Or do you only comb your hair when its wet and wait until the next wash to comb it?

StormVixen
March 9th, 2012, 09:23 AM
There is no way that I know of to comb curls whilst dry and keep the curls intact... I only comb when wet and saturated in conditioner :) and that does mean no detangling for 3 or 4 days :D

turtlelover
March 9th, 2012, 09:55 AM
I think type 2s can sometimes get away w/ brushing and getting looser waves, but it doesn't work so well for most true curlies. I struggle with this -- my hair gets more compliments brushed out than "clumped" it seems, even though it can get a bit frizzy, but I know that is supposedly taboo.

DancingQueen
March 9th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I comb every morning with a wide tooth comb - I would never use a brush on my hair type. I don't really comb wet hair as it is more fragile when wet. Sometimes though, I will only finger comb if I feel I can get away with it. :)

longhairedleah
March 9th, 2012, 10:32 AM
oooh, if i leave my hair curly (usually i relax it to wavy by keeping it in a bun while it dries) i do not comb or brush at all!!

That's a foolproof way to make puffiness. I often catch myself running my fingers through my curls, and have to stop immediately cuz there's no turning back until I wash it again if I do...

So in direct answer, I only comb my hair when it's wet, wide tooth comb

moon2dove
March 9th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I do a good detangling job on wash days. Combing while wet is a no no for my hair.
In between wash-days I finger comb, this keeps my curls formed nicely :)

BeckyAH
March 9th, 2012, 10:54 AM
If my hair is dry, I don't comb it. I wet it thoroughly in the morning, comb it through and then leave it alone until the next day.

door72067
March 9th, 2012, 11:37 AM
when wet or VERY carefully lightly finger comb if I feel tangled

Kiwiwi
March 9th, 2012, 12:24 PM
I cannot comb my dry curls. I will rip way too many hairs out.
If I wear my curls I only comb them wet with conditioner in the shower.
But I always comb my hair because I never wear it curly. I comb it after my shower, put it up wet and then just brush it whenever until I shower. But, like I said, that's not the same as acutally combing my curls.

LadyCelestina
March 9th, 2012, 12:30 PM
From my point of view,it seems that the curlier your hair is,the more problematic does combing become.
Hair on my head varies from 2b/c,3a AND 3b at the nape.
I DON'T comb it dry on a daily basis,as my hair breaks very easily when combed dry.

But when I do comb,I get pretty decent results:
1.I can comb out the front and top of my hair,because that's mostly waves + loose curls, and smooth them down with product for silky shiny waves,almost like braidwaves.
I can brush this part too,and I do brush it with a bristle brush for shinier waves and no need for smoothing product afterwards. :D

2. I can comb out the curlier nape hair,oil it and braid it for clumpy waves with poofy ends.It looks okay and shiny,but I wouldn't wear it loose in public,mostly because of the poofy ends.

If I wet it slightly and add some product,it becomes stringy and crunchy,so I don't really do that.

I guess it's really individual,I mean,everyone's curls will respond differently to combing and brushing.

gthlvrmx
March 9th, 2012, 12:33 PM
I comb it out twice, once in the shower with conditioner in it and once more when dry but VERY CAREFULLY so that i wont get snags. I comb it out upside down to make my top bun.

Murzilka
March 9th, 2012, 12:37 PM
While in the shower as I wash out the conditioner, with very wide tooth comb. It glides right through and no damage

PinkyCat
March 9th, 2012, 12:42 PM
There is no way I can comb my dry curls and have them stay intact. No way.

I only comb dry if I have a bun-out and am heavily oiled - other than that - wet only - lest I have a head full of floaty frizz with zero definition.

spidermom
March 9th, 2012, 12:42 PM
I'm sort of a semi-curly but decided to answer anyway. I comb/brush before I wash it, then I try not to touch it again for as long as I want to wear it down. When I'm ready to put it up, I give it a good combing and/or brushing. The longer I go without washing it, the straighter it gets. I really only have curl the first day, then wavy, then straight (ish).

CurlyCap
March 9th, 2012, 03:21 PM
I don't. I fingercomb 99% of the time, while my hair is soaked and covered in conditioner.

Occasionally I'll brush my scalp for exfoliation or use a smoothing brush for styling.

That's it. :D

CurlyCap
March 9th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Ooops. Double post!

terylenerose
March 9th, 2012, 04:09 PM
I comb with a wide tooth comb once or twice a day. I also brush every day with a bbb. I have no curls whatsoever by the second day, but that's mostly because I always wear it up.

jeanniet
March 9th, 2012, 04:40 PM
I comb dry and lose some curl. My hair is up most of the time anyway. I just can't go between washes without combing--my hair tangles so easily and tangles drive me crazy. Refreshing things with a spritzing of water/oil and a little scrunching will bring a lot of the curl back.

GRU
March 10th, 2012, 06:12 PM
This is what happens if I brush my curls:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/hair/b4-brushedout.jpg

Needless to say, I don't brush my curls unless I'm planning to bun/braid them!

HappyHair87
March 10th, 2012, 06:31 PM
I ONLY comb when soaking wet and drenched in conditioner....in the shower. If i comb while dry...that's just asking for miles of trouble.....as in severe breakage!

CurlyCap
March 10th, 2012, 07:35 PM
This is what happens if I brush my curls:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/hair/b4-brushedout.jpg

Needless to say, I don't brush my curls unless I'm planning to bun/braid them!

Hee hee.

Gru, isn't great how people stare in horror-disbelief when they see brushed curls? Like an alien is growing out of our scalps!

I can't wait until my hair grows long again, just because I want to get a new brushout picture!

coastalnicole
March 10th, 2012, 07:52 PM
I only comb my hair dry if I feel like having an afro (which happens every now and then...), or if my hair's been in a bun or some other severe hairstyle where it's been straightened. I only use a wide-toothed comb, never a brush.

curlsgalore
March 10th, 2012, 07:53 PM
I comb my hair when it's wet for the most part. I only comb/brush my hair dry when it's loaded with oil for a treatment and I'm going to wash soon. If I Comb my hair dry otherwise, it's goodbye curls.

Beckstar
March 10th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Wet and with about 3/4 cup of conditioner. A wide tooth comb. Bottom, middle brushed down to the bottom, and then I divide my hair into sex sections and run my fingers through to make sure I got it all. I wouldn't be able to get a comb through my hair dry.

Copasetic
March 10th, 2012, 08:36 PM
I finger comb when I am putting my styling products in my hair. So it is pretty wet and full of conditioner. I never try to comb when it's dry.

BritHair
March 10th, 2012, 08:37 PM
I comb with a wide tooth comb when wet then finger comb only when dry, otherwise I am a big frizzball. I usually go for soft waves by putting it up in a bun when wet as it is much more manageable.

GRU
March 11th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Hee hee.

Gru, isn't great how people stare in horror-disbelief when they see brushed curls? Like an alien is growing out of our scalps!

I just shudder to think of how badly I tried to have "feathered-back Farrah Fawcett hair" back in the 70s/80s -- no amount of brushing would make my hair even BEGIN to resemble supermodel hair!

DarkSky
March 11th, 2012, 08:05 PM
I comb with one of those Goody wide tooth detangling combs starting from half way down my hair length. I do this before bed and in the morning if I want "second day" hair. For "second day" hair, if I find that I lose all definition, Ill just spritz with a little conditioner and water and do some scrunching.

This is a pic of my curls or wurls after lightly combing for second day hair (no wetting or spritzing in this shot). I notice that my curl/wave pattern is a little stronger when I used coconut oil in my hair on wash day.... http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=8828&pictureid=127816

longcurlygirl<3
March 13th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I comb only when I am washing, so twice a week, BUT saturated with conditioner/oil :)