PDA

View Full Version : pure bbb or boars bristle plus nylon bristles??

Annalouise
March 9th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Hi, would someone please tell me if one gets the same benefits from a brush that is mixed bb and nylon, as they would from a pure bristle brush?

I am trying to decide if I should try a mixed brush. To be honest, I really want a mason pearson brush but can't afford the pure bb ones.:p

Annalouise
March 9th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Well, that was stupid.:p I posted in haste. I do want a 100% natural bbb. I don't want nylon. And I don't need to buy an expensive brush either. I'm going to stick with a less expensive bbb.:)

But feel free to give your thoughts on the subject.:)

woolyleprechaun
March 9th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Feel free to continue with the one-sided conversation ;) I highly recoment the Kent pure bristle brushes. Beautiful things, great quality but a fraction of the price of MPs :)

Annalouise
March 9th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Feel free to continue with the one-sided conversation ;) I highly recoment the Kent pure bristle brushes. Beautiful things, great quality but a fraction of the price of MPs :)

Brilliant isn't it? :D
I don't see any American online retailers for Kent, except a few on Amazon. And I have never seen them in any stores. I'm not sure they sell them here?

Madora
March 9th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Annalouise, the pure boar bristle brush (no plastic, no rubber, no nylon) is the kindest type to use on your hair. The boar bristle (the "hair" of the wild boar) is the closest thing in nature to the human hair. It meshes well with human strands in brush form.

The bristle itself can vary greatly..from very long to short, from thick to thin. Some have great flexibility, some not so much.

The bbb need not cost a fortune! My Goody brushes were less than $10.00 each (purchased back in the 70s).

A pure bbb will either have the "pure bbb" somewhere on the brush, or on the packaging. Boar bristles are never shiny. They are dull.

If possible, test the bristles with your fingers to see how flexible (or not) they are. Also, look for at least 5 rows across, and a brush that is flat on the bottom. A rounded brush is not for long hair. Also, be sure the handle fees good in your hand. You'd be surprised how the "feel" can vary from brush to brush.

Personally, I prefer long, narrow brushes. They are easier to use with my small hands. My hair hated oval brushes with thick, long bristles.

I hope this helps and wish you good luck finding your own bbb!

Madora
March 9th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Brilliant isn't it? :D
I don't see any American online retailers for Kent, except a few on Amazon. And I have never seen them in any stores. I'm not sure they sell them here?

Annalouise, you might have success if you try upscale stores (Nordstrom, etc.) for your Kent of London brush.

The Kent of London company makes gorgeous brushes but as I found out from a very expensive mistake involving one their upscale brushes, it is best to try and see the brush in person.

Annalouise
March 9th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Thanks Madora. I am going to take your advise and wait until I go to the city to a store called Blue Mercury that sells many different kinds of bbb. That way I can feel the bristles and not make the mistake of having to ship things back.:)

I agree about the brushes that have a convex, rounded base. For some reason they don't seem to work for me. I am looking for one that has a flatter base and longer bristles.

I have a supposedly bbb and the bristles are shiny. I do not think those are real boar's bristles.

Madora
March 9th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Thanks Madora. I am going to take your advise and wait until I go to the city to a store called Blue Mercury that sells many different kinds of bbb. That way I can feel the bristles and not make the mistake of having to ship things back.:)

I agree about the brushes that have a convex, rounded base. For some reason they don't seem to work for me. I am looking for one that has a flatter base and longer bristles.

I have a supposedly bbb and the bristles are shiny. I do not think those are real boar's bristles.

That is a very good idea..going to a place that has a wide variety.

Also, I doubt if a reputable retailer would accept a hairbrush if you needed to return it..unless it was in its original packaging..i.e. bubble blister protected. I have no idea how the up market bbb retailers package their goods. My Kent of London $80.00 brush came in a beautiful scarlet red box, nestled in scads of tissue paper. I have no idea how they package their goods now.

Annalouise
March 9th, 2012, 10:03 AM
I bought a bbb online and it came in a zip lock baggie. I noticed it had a strong chemical smell. So I figured I would wash it in warm soapy water. The water that ran off the brush was dark brown.:( Gross. I don't know if the brush was dyed with a dark brown stain on the wood, or what?

I'm going to send it back and tell them. Even if they don't give me a refund I want them to know that their brush is defective.

I won't buy any more brushes online.

Vasilissa
March 16th, 2012, 09:17 AM
I bought a bbb online and it came in a zip lock baggie. I noticed it had a strong chemical smell. So I figured I would wash it in warm soapy water. The water that ran off the brush was dark brown.:( Gross. I don't know if the brush was dyed with a dark brown stain on the wood, or what?

I'm going to send it back and tell them. Even if they don't give me a refund I want them to know that their brush is defective.

I won't buy any more brushes online.

Gosh, what kind of brush was it? Was it Kent? :eek:

I am looking at their large BB brushes now and thinking of getting one in the nearest future in addition to my medium Denman BB brush...

Annalouise
March 16th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Gosh, what kind of brush was it? Was it Kent? :eek:

I am looking at their large BB brushes now and thinking of getting one in the nearest future in addition to my medium Denman BB brush...

Nooo, it was not Kent. I have never seen a Kent brush and I live in the U.S.. You're safe because the brush I bought is not sold in the U.K. (I don't really want to say their name because I am assuming they were well intentioned and didn't know what was on their brushes:confused:) but if you pm me I'll tell you who sold it to me.

sonrisa76
March 16th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Thanks Madora the information you posted about the different bbb was very helpful :)

swearnsue
March 16th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Finding a good and affordable bbb is still something I'm trying to do. I have one that is pure bbb but the bristles are too soft or close together and doesn't go through my hair onto my scalp. The other one is part bbb and part nylon and it massages my scalp too much so I haven't used it in months. I'll look again next time I'm out and about.

heidi w.
March 16th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Hi, would someone please tell me if one gets the same benefits from a brush that is mixed bb and nylon, as they would from a pure bristle brush?

I am trying to decide if I should try a mixed brush. To be honest, I really want a mason pearson brush but can't afford the pure bb ones.:p

Pure BBB's are rather affordable. IF they're being sold for even $20.00 US, that is a ridiculous price to pay. I found mine for around $10.00 at a Walgreens! Maybe you're not in the US? Let me go see.

I would not use a blended brush. But I'm a purist.

I just posted a video on youtube showing how I BBB my hair in the wake of oiling my hair. At the top of the video, I show the tools I use.

heidi w.

amybru
March 16th, 2012, 10:09 AM
hello i find a boar bristle brush to be best for fine smooth hair, for hair that tangles easily i find that a soft nylon baby brush works very well as it doesnt catch on the hair.

heidi w.
March 16th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Finding a good and affordable bbb is still something I'm trying to do. I have one that is pure bbb but the bristles are too soft or close together and doesn't go through my hair onto my scalp. The other one is part bbb and part nylon and it massages my scalp too much so I haven't used it in months. I'll look again next time I'm out and about.

In many cases, a solidly pure BBB will not penetrate the thickness of anyone's hair, and pressing harder to get this brush to sink into the depth of one's hair is inadvisable. In fact, when moving oil or sebum around it will make top of head hair flatter, with less body. (Just FYI)

Simply allow the brush to glide over the surface of the hair. On the length, brush the topside of hair and underside of hair separately.

Make sure to detangle first with a detangling comb. If you encounter a tangle while BBBing switch to the detangling tool before continuing to BBB.

I have seen BBB's at pet stores, in the beauty aisle of grocery stores, at Walgreens, Walmart, in short: everywhere. And they're very affordable. Just be sure that a tag on the brush or the packaging states "pure BBB". I had a mixed bristle brush, and I didn't like it at all.

heidi w.

heidi w.
March 16th, 2012, 10:15 AM
hello i find a boar bristle brush to be best for fine smooth hair, for hair that tangles easily i find that a soft nylon baby brush works very well as it doesnt catch on the hair.

My video on youtube additionally explains to follow through with downstroking a BBB through the hair to avoid just this problem of inciting a tangle.

As with detangling, one must be slow and patient with BBBing and detangling. It's very important so as to avoid creating damage.

heidi w.

Madora
March 16th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Thanks Madora the information you posted about the different bbb was very helpful :)

Glad I could help, sonrisa76!

@Heidi W...

I LOVE bbb purists :love:

jojo
March 17th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Look on ebay for pure BBB I have a mason pearson and love it but I also have a cheap one from ebay thats really good and only cost me £12!

irisheyes
March 17th, 2012, 07:57 PM
I got my BBB from Fuller Brush Company. It was very affordable and pure boar bristle. You can find the company online. They have several versions of BBB, all very nice in my opinion. I got the half round brush like I had as a teenager, but the company has other styles.

jeanniet
March 17th, 2012, 08:08 PM
The MP mixed brushes are really nice, although I don't think quite as good as the pure BBB. The MP BBB is the best brush I've ever used, and handles my thick hair easily. I've never found another brush that compares to it.

Catladyintown
March 18th, 2012, 12:26 AM
I own around 7 BBB and alternate them regularly. One of the best hair brush I have is a German BBB in pearwood:). The bristles are very stiff and gets through thick hair very easily. I bought it from this site. http://www.german-hairbrushes.com/paddle_hairbrushes.htm
The brush is nice and balanced in the hand and S&H was very quick. HTH

curlsgalore
March 18th, 2012, 08:17 AM
I own around 7 BBB and alternate them regularly. One of the best hair brush I have is a German BBB in pearwood:). The bristles are very stiff and gets through thick hair very easily. I bought it from this site. http://www.german-hairbrushes.com/paddle_hairbrushes.htm
The brush is nice and balanced in the hand and S&H was very quick. HTH

Do you remember by chance what the shipping cost is to the US? It sounds like an awesome brush :).

cfreya
March 18th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Heidi w. your YouTube video was very helpful and your hair is simply stunning

Catladyintown
March 18th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Do you remember by chance what the shipping cost is to the US? It sounds like an awesome brush :).

Hi I bought it around 8 months ago and I believe it was around $8. But the beauty of the pearwood and the bristle are very sturdy. Goes through thick hair very easy. One of my favorite brushes.:D

curlsgalore
March 19th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Hi I bought it around 8 months ago and I believe it was around $8. But the beauty of the pearwood and the bristle are very sturdy. Goes through thick hair very easy. One of my favorite brushes.:D

Thank you! I shall add it to my wishlist. :)

Alva
March 19th, 2012, 11:12 AM
The MP mixed brushes are really nice, although I don't think quite as good as the pure BBB. The MP BBB is the best brush I've ever used, and handles my thick hair easily. I've never found another brush that compares to it.

I also got the mixed brush from MP, and I wouldnt want any other thing. I use it for detangling too, a comb doesnt work as well for me somehow. Haven't seen any damage from it either.

Catladyintown
April 5th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Here is two pictures of the front of the German Pear Wood Beyer BB Brush.HTH
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q232/Catladyintown/1332547190837.jpg
Second from the left.
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q232/Catladyintown/1332546457944.jpg

curlsgalore
October 19th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Here is two pictures of the front of the German Pear Wood Beyer BB Brush.HTH
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q232/Catladyintown/1332547190837.jpg
Second from the left.
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q232/Catladyintown/1332546457944.jpg

I ordered the pear wood BB brush and it's supposed to ship tomorrow, I,can't wait!!!
I also ordered the Madora brush (and a comb)...and a Bakelite comb... And a BBB from earth therapeutics.
:cheese::cheese: