PDA

View Full Version : I need opinions everybody!

Schrei777
March 8th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Okay so it's been 4 months since I have died my hair and I'm bored to death with it. I have had just about every color hair but blue. So I want to take the plunge and finally go blue but I'm not sure if it will look good on me or just plain awful so I want to see what you all think.

This is around the color I want:
http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab291/jrmlover7/blue.jpg
http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab291/jrmlover7/blue2.jpg

And here's some pictures of me, they kind of suck but they're all I have right now:

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab291/jrmlover7/april2.jpg

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab291/jrmlover7/april1.jpg

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab291/jrmlover7/deeeeerf.jpg

I have cool toned skin so I think that would fit well with blue, but my eyes are really blue and I'm not sure if it would look bizarre or cool to have my hair match my eyes. I don't know, anyway, what do you guys think?

*sorry my pictures are so obnoxiously big, I can never scale them right*

Arya
March 8th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Practically speaking I'd go with a more purpley-blue, since your hair is currently red. it'll save your hair a lot of damage trying to remove the red tones and stop it from going some icky shade of brown trying to get it to the greeney blue you're showing.

amantha
March 8th, 2012, 09:39 PM
I think blue would look fantastic on you, and that's saying something because I don't usually tend to like blue on most people. I also think that blue would look good on you because your eyes are so blue.....so I wouldn't worry about that. :)

Quixii
March 8th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Ready for a terrible photo-edit? xD
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/young_artist/Hair/Schreiblue.jpg
Before I did it, I thought blue would look lovely with your eyes. I think your skin colour also works with it. :)

Schrei777
March 8th, 2012, 09:54 PM
I think blue would look fantastic on you, and that's saying something because I don't usually tend to like blue on most people. I also think that blue would look good on you because your eyes are so blue.....so I wouldn't worry about that. :)

Thanks amantha :) !

And arya, I was thinking the same thing. But I've already done purple and wasn't a big fan. I was thinking I would use a color remover like coloroops to try and get more red out, its already pretty faded since the first pic because it's about 4 months old. Then Im going to dye it a light ashy brown to match my 2 inches of roots and hope it cancels out the red. Then put blue over it and hope that it gives me that deep blue. I don't want to bleach it out because I don't want a bright blue and I don't want to wreck my hair. I don't know if this is a good plan lol.

xoxophelia
March 8th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Personally I think you could do just about any color you want. I really love this hair color.. http://www.google.com/imgres?q=blue+hair&um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1366&bih=623&tbm=isch&tbnid=yGKxdJHxNR3c-M:&imgrefurl=http://www.squidoo.com/blue-hair-pictures&docid=YCZF9ws8g2-sgM&imgurl=http://i3.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/draft_lens16409221module140140011photo_1292168571b lue_hair_pictures.jpg&w=500&h=375&ei=7oxZT5G3C4jk0QHIisXFDw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=244&vpy=49&dur=787&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=96&ty=97&sig=106773024905067719382&page=1&tbnh=119&tbnw=163&start=0&ndsp=27&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

Schrei777
March 8th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Ready for a terrible photo-edit? xD
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/young_artist/Hair/Schreiblue.jpg
Before I did it, I thought blue would look lovely with your eyes. I think your skin colour also works with it. :)

Haha you're awesome for doing that, and you nailed the color. It's hard to tell for sure with this pic, but I think I will like it :D.

Schrei777
March 8th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Personally I think you could do just about any color you want. I really love this hair color..

Awww thankyou :). And I saw that same picture and I love it. But for some reason Im more drawn to the deep teal color. And I would have to bleach my hair like mad to get that color. Its gorgeous on that girl though.

Tisiloves
March 8th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Go for it! Just be aware that blue fades like a very fadey thing, my bright blue hair went grey in one wash.

ETA adding some of the dye you use to your conditioner sounds like a plan.

tiny_teesha
March 8th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Oh it's going to be REALLY hard since you already have so much red undertones. Bleaching within an inch of it's life i reckon to reset it to white so you can move to the cool spectrum. But that's just a guess....since i'm not a hairdresser. But i do think it will be tricky...

i personally think people with blue eyes look best with red hair or pitch black hair, i think your red colour now suits you perfectly!!! But if it would really make you happy that dark green blue colour, its your life and you should not care about other people's oppinions. Just know the consequences and make an informed desicion. See if you still want hair like that in a month , or 2, and then if yes, shoot! :)

It's like with my purple fringe. I got it nad loved it then chopped it out
i waited a year, wanting it, but i thought it looked stupid short, once it finally grew out i did it again, and i'm just saying, its annoying to touch up and i kind of wish i hadn't...

It's not my thing anymore evidentally, but i'll carry on until it grows out a bit..or it fades completely. Then i'll look like rogue, haha.

Schrei777
March 8th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Go for it! Just be aware that blue fades like a very fadey thing, my bright blue hair went grey in one wash.

ETA adding some of the dye you use to your conditioner sounds like a plan.

Gah, I know, that is so frustrating :(. Thats one of the reasons I havn't tried blue yet, because of it's lack of permanence. But I have been so obsessed with the idea of blue hair that I am willing to give it a try and see how it goes lol. And I will definitely keep the condition idea in mind thanks :).

Schrei777
March 8th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Oh it's going to be REALLY hard since you already have so much red undertones. Bleaching within an inch of it's life i reckon to reset it to white so you can move to the cool spectrum. But that's just a guess....since i'm not a hairdresser. But i do think it will be tricky...

i personally think people with blue eyes look best with red hair or pitch black hair, i think your red colour now suits you perfectly!!! But if it would really make you happy that dark green blue colour, its your life and you should not care about other people's oppinions. Just know the consequences and make an informed desicion. See if you still want hair like that in a month , or 2, and then if yes, shoot! :)

It's like with my purple fringe. I got it nad loved it then chopped it out
i waited a year, wanting it, but i thought it looked stupid short, once it finally grew out i did it again, and i'm just saying, its annoying to touch up and i kind of wish i hadn't...

It's not my thing anymore evidentally, but i'll carry on until it grows out a bit..or it fades completely. Then i'll look like rogue, haha.

Thanks for the advise tiny_teesha! I really love my red hair too but Ive had my hair different shades of red for over 4 years now so I really want a change. And Ive been wanting to go blue for the past year. I keep saying to myself 'give it a month and you'll change your mind', and here I am still wanting blue hair. Im still teetering on the fence though. It's so hard to decide! lol.

einna
March 9th, 2012, 01:02 AM
I think you could pull it of with your complexion, and the eyes I think will look very stunning. Hope you post pic's if you decide to do it. Good luck. :)

joflakes
March 9th, 2012, 01:07 AM
Do it! It'll look amazing. :)

Arya
March 9th, 2012, 01:17 AM
I agree this colour will look amazing.
But please please please consult with one of the ladies really experienced with colouring on this board. I really worry you're going to mess up your hair colour wise and condition-wise, and you are entering dangerous straw-breakage and mud-colour territory at the same time. You're literally going from one side of the colour wheel to the exact opposite. It's going to be very tricky and dangerous.

If you do decide to go for this teal colour *please* do it over time. Colour oops is more gentle than bleach, but still harsh on hair. And wait to hear from some colourists!

Schrei777
March 9th, 2012, 07:52 AM
I agree this colour will look amazing.
But please please please consult with one of the ladies really experienced with colouring on this board. I really worry you're going to mess up your hair colour wise and condition-wise, and you are entering dangerous straw-breakage and mud-colour territory at the same time. You're literally going from one side of the colour wheel to the exact opposite. It's going to be very tricky and dangerous.

If you do decide to go for this teal colour *please* do it over time. Colour oops is more gentle than bleach, but still harsh on hair. And wait to hear from some colourists!

Thanks for your concern arya, and I promise I will proceed with caution. I have been dying my hair all sorts of colors since I was 13, and have even bleached it to white (and fried it lol). So I have learned my lesson to not push my hair to far in one day. I am going to do a strand test first, and if it seems like it just won't work out unless I bleach the red out or it turns a strange color I will stop there. :)

And I will post pics if by some miracle it actually works out.

Amber_Maiden
March 9th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Go for it!

Valorie
March 9th, 2012, 08:36 AM
I think with your delicate features and skin tone, you could pull off any probably just about any hair color. While I like the color you have, I think the blue would look really cute.

Schrei777
March 9th, 2012, 08:42 AM
I think with your delicate features and skin tone, you could pull off any probably just about any hair color. While I like the color you have, I think the blue would look really cute.

Thanks Valorie :D. Ah Im so excited about this color now, I really hope I can get it to come out right.

didrash
March 9th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I think it would look good on you, but I do not know how you can achieve it...

lapushka
March 9th, 2012, 08:46 AM
I'm not sure... Kind of liking the color you have now. It suits you!

Schrei777
March 9th, 2012, 09:05 AM
I'm not sure... Kind of liking the color you have now. It suits you!

I know, I love it too. It's part of what was making my decision so hard. But I have had red hair for years now and I feel like I need a change. Plus that pic is a few months old and my hair doesn't look that nice right now lol. I have 2 inches of roots and the pink/red is about 5 different unappealing colors right now because it has faded alot.

Grillz
March 9th, 2012, 10:58 AM
I think blue would look great.. and I LOVE your bangs in that last photo

heidi w.
March 9th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Have you considered consulting with a licensed and professional colorist? You are a very pretty young lady, and if you eventually want long or longer hair, all this coloring could be undoing your goals.

Also, in the past I've seen spray in colors one can apply temporarily. I wonder if that might offer you a way out since you seem to bore easily of an applied color?

People use these for halloween applications, for example.

Then I've heard of Manic Panic colors....I have no idea of them and their ingredients though.

heidi w.

Schrei777
March 9th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I think blue would look great.. and I LOVE your bangs in that last photo

Thankyou! :)

Schrei777
March 9th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Have you considered consulting with a licensed and professional colorist? You are a very pretty young lady, and if you eventually want long or longer hair, all this coloring could be undoing your goals.

Also, in the past I've seen spray in colors one can apply temporarily. I wonder if that might offer you a way out since you seem to bore easily of an applied color?

People use these for halloween applications, for example.

Then I've heard of Manic Panic colors....I have no idea of them and their ingredients though.

heidi w.

Thanks for the advise Heidi. I actually plan to use manic panic or special effects and they are both non damaging dyes. Although the initial getting the red out might be harsh, Ive just had red for so many years and I have always wanted blue so I figured I should just do it. I know that if I do blue I will want it for awhile so I need something a little more permanent than wash out dyes. Even if I hate it manic panic eventually washes out pretty well. I really appreciate your advise though :).

TiffanieJean
March 9th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Go for it =)

I like the red tho (of course I'm compleatly biased...).

HintOfMint
March 9th, 2012, 12:44 PM
The blue-green would look gorgeous on you, the only issue would be taking out the red-tones which might require more bleaching. Then again, a purple-toned blue would be just as gorgeous with your skin and eyes.

PS, you are absolutely beautiful! Like, Audrey Hepburn level beautiful. Perfect, exquisite bone structure and lovely eyes. If I had your features, I could wear my hair however I liked and still look lovely.

Nedertane
March 9th, 2012, 12:45 PM
I think more of "true blue" or royal blue would suit you better, but if you prefer the teal shade, by all means, go for it! You have like, ridiculously pretty eyes, by the way. (#^_^#)

mzBANGBANG
March 9th, 2012, 12:47 PM
your skin tone and eye color is perfect for that color! You could always try it on with black food coloring (the base for the black is a greenish-blue that looks like the color you want). I used to dye my blonde hair with food dye all the time when it was younger and it washed out fine. I've NEVER tried to dye it with black food coloring and don't know if I am giving the best advice! But if you plan on changing the color anyway then I don't think it could hurt. To be safe I'd do a test strand, just like with any other dye to figure out the results. If anyone has experience with this I'd be interested in how it turned out!

Schrei777
March 9th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Thankyou for all your compliments everyone, you guys are so nice :D.
And MzBANGBANG I will definitely do a stand test because going from red to blue will be tricky. You guys have made me even more excited about blue hair!

Schrei777
March 9th, 2012, 01:01 PM
The blue-green would look gorgeous on you, the only issue would be taking out the red-tones which might require more bleaching. Then again, a purple-toned blue would be just as gorgeous with your skin and eyes.

PS, you are absolutely beautiful! Like, Audrey Hepburn level beautiful. Perfect, exquisite bone structure and lovely eyes. If I had your features, I could wear my hair however I liked and still look lovely.

Thankyou HintOfMint you're so sweet. And you're hair is absolutely gorgeous by the way!

numbernine
March 9th, 2012, 01:07 PM
I think blue will look great on you

melusine963
March 9th, 2012, 01:36 PM
I think blue would suit you really well. That said, I've never dyed my hair so I have no idea about what damage might happen by going from red to blue.

newbeginning
March 9th, 2012, 02:15 PM
I think the colour would compete with your eyes (which are an amazing colour). Also I'd be worried about the damage done to your hair to get it blue and the upkeep. The decision is up to you however.

jacqueline101
March 9th, 2012, 03:10 PM
I like the blue on you.

Sammich
March 9th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Definitely the blue! ^^;

However, I think I prefer the red on you... but I know you want to try it so... :)

Calaelen
March 9th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Stylist here! What type of dye are you using for the red?? Semi perm, permanent, vegetable dyes like Special effects??

I can likely instruct you how to best go about the colour removal if I know what is already there. I think that deep teal shade you chose is gorgeous, and will suit you very well, but getting there requires a definite plan.

whitedove
March 9th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Is it so wrong of me to be a tad envious of someone who can get away with all these colours? ;)

Can't wait to see pic's!

Schrei777
March 9th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Stylist here! What type of dye are you using for the red?? Semi perm, permanent, vegetable dyes like Special effects??

I can likely instruct you how to best go about the colour removal if I know what is already there. I think that deep teal shade you chose is gorgeous, and will suit you very well, but getting there requires a definite plan.

Oh yay, well I have a mixture so it makes it even more challenging. I have Elumen (semi-permanent) on top, then under that I had permanent magenta. I just did a test strip with bleach and left it for about 20 mins and it barely budged :(. So bleach is out because I refuse to leave it on for a long time. Then I tried dying a test strip a very ashy light brown to counter the red, and again it barely made a difference. So Im thinking I might have to just find a blue I want and throw it on top of the red and hope it looks alright. Its looking pretty hopeless at the moment :(.

Schrei777
March 9th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Is it so wrong of me to be a tad envious of someone who can get away with all these colours? ;)

Can't wait to see pic's!

Thanks whitedove, can I just say I envy your hair color. Its my dream color but the one time I tried to achieve it I ended up with fried cotton candy hair that I had to chop off. So alas its not in the cards for me.

I hope I will be able to do blue so I can show pics but this red is going to be tricky to get around so we shall see.

Maelyssa
March 9th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Okay so it's been 4 months since I have died my hair and I'm bored to death with it. I have had just about every color hair but blue. So I want to take the plunge and finally go blue but I'm not sure if it will look good on me or just plain awful so I want to see what you all think.

This is around the color I want:
http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab291/jrmlover7/blue.jpg
http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab291/jrmlover7/blue2.jpg

And here's some pictures of me, they kind of suck but they're all I have right now:

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab291/jrmlover7/april2.jpg

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab291/jrmlover7/april1.jpg

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab291/jrmlover7/deeeeerf.jpg

I have cool toned skin so I think that would fit well with blue, but my eyes are really blue and I'm not sure if it would look bizarre or cool to have my hair match my eyes. I don't know, anyway, what do you guys think?

*sorry my pictures are so obnoxiously big, I can never scale them right*

Such a gorgeous blue eye color...I think that the blue would look amazing with it. Go for it!

sweetestpoison
March 9th, 2012, 08:55 PM
I think warm colors seem to suit you very well, but you can always find the right shade of blue. My friend swears by special effects hair dye. They have a huge array of colors, always seem to turn out like they should, and last a pretty decent while. I say go for it, you can always dye it back if you're dissatisfied :)

Deborah
March 9th, 2012, 08:58 PM
I don't mean to discourage you if blue is what you want, but I think you and your hair look simply wonderful in your second photo. Just another point of view. :)

p.s. I tried to copy that photo to put here, but I am not computer literate enough to do it.

xoxophelia
March 9th, 2012, 10:21 PM
I hope you find a way to make it work out.. just go gradually like you had said. I'm looking forward to photos :)

I kind of wish I could go blue also but I've been growing out natural for sooo long and don't want to risk it.

Schrei777
March 10th, 2012, 07:52 AM
I hope you find a way to make it work out.. just go gradually like you had said. I'm looking forward to photos :)

I kind of wish I could go blue also but I've been growing out natural for sooo long and don't want to risk it.

It's not looking to hopeful :(. I did test strands last night and it wasn't working out. I tried bleach on one strand and after about 30 minutes it had barely budged the red and my hair felt really damaged, so that idea was out. Then I tried to dye a strand with a really ashy brown/blonde color to neutralize the red, again it did almost nothing to my red. So I figured I would just put the blue straight over the red and get a cool purple blue even though it's not quite what I wanted, well that was a big fail too because I now have a big streak of BLACK hair with blue roots lol. Thank god for strand testing or else Id have some hideous looking hair right now. So it looks like I'm going to have to go back to my original plan of waiting until my natural hair grows out and then putting blue on it. I'm so disappointing I really wanted it to work out, but I guess Ill have to wait quite a bit longer. Oh well at least this way I wont need to bleach or chemically dye my hair because on the strand I tested the blue looked gorgeous on the 2 inches of natural hair I had without needing to bleach or anything. So I will be patient and look forward to the day when my natural hair grows out and I can finally have my blue hair :).

xoxophelia
March 10th, 2012, 08:21 AM
^aw.. well the red is still awesome so it is really only a difference between blue fun and red fun :)

Maybe you could get a wig to play around with or something?

Schrei777
March 10th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Haha yeah a wig would be interesting. My red hair isn't so fun right now because it has faded to a bunch of weird colors and I have about 2 inches of roots lol. But I'll just wear it up while my natural hair grows out :).

Calaelen
March 10th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Oh yay, well I have a mixture so it makes it even more challenging. I have Elumen (semi-permanent) on top, then under that I had permanent magenta. I just did a test strip with bleach and left it for about 20 mins and it barely budged :(. So bleach is out because I refuse to leave it on for a long time. Then I tried dying a test strip a very ashy light brown to counter the red, and again it barely made a difference. So Im thinking I might have to just find a blue I want and throw it on top of the red and hope it looks alright. Its looking pretty hopeless at the moment :(.

You could give Colour Oops or Colour b4 a try. They are colour removers, and I've found they work pretty well even on hair that has been coloured many times. These two products are as good as stuff used in higher end salons. Make sure you do not get the L'Oreal Colour Zap, it is a different product altogether, and is bleach based, so you will get horrible results.

What the Colour Oops, or colour b4 will do is shrink the colour molecules to rinse out much, if not all, of the colour in your hair, so when you get a lighter shade you can try the blue over it again. Because you showed a warm shade of blue, almost a teal really, you do not need to have white, or even a neutral tone, to begin with. If you get it to a light copper, it should work pretty well.

Schrei777
March 10th, 2012, 06:18 PM
You could give Colour Oops or Colour b4 a try. They are colour removers, and I've found they work pretty well even on hair that has been coloured many times. These two products are as good as stuff used in higher end salons. Make sure you do not get the L'Oreal Colour Zap, it is a different product altogether, and is bleach based, so you will get horrible results.

What the Colour Oops, or colour b4 will do is shrink the colour molecules to rinse out much, if not all, of the colour in your hair, so when you get a lighter shade you can try the blue over it again. Because you showed a warm shade of blue, almost a teal really, you do not need to have white, or even a neutral tone, to begin with. If you get it to a light copper, it should work pretty well.

Thanks Calaelen, I was going to use Color Oops to begin with, but then I was told that it was even more damaging than bleach. Im guessing the lady was wrong? Maybe I should do a test strand with it and see how it works out :).

Schrei777
March 15th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Ok guys since this red is more stubborn than I thought maybe instead of doing ful blue (even though I reaaaallly want that) I could do partial blue with black.

Like this:
http://www.haircolorsideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/teal-hair-color.jpg

Or this:
http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab291/jrmlover7/Highlights-Ideas_11.jpg

Just not sure if I could rock black hair :p

xoxophelia
March 15th, 2012, 07:23 PM
I think you could pull it off. The only thing to keep in mind is that black can be even more difficult to get out of hair. If you do it, definitely go with a semi permanent black at most.

Schrei777
March 15th, 2012, 07:24 PM
I think you could pull it off. The only thing to keep in mind is that black can be even more difficult to get out of hair. If you do it, definitely go with a semi permanent black at most.

Thanks xoxophelia :D. That's a good suggestion and I definitely will if I decide to do it.

lacefrost
March 15th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Go blue! It'll really bring out your eyes and just look gorgeous!

pepperminttea
March 15th, 2012, 07:59 PM
You only live once; why not? :D I think if it was me, I'd kick myself for not trying later if I didn't.

(As a sidenote though, I do love the auburn brown on you in the last two photos of the first post. It really brings out your eyes. :flower: )

Schrei777
March 15th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Thanks lace frost and pepperminttea! I feel like I will also regret it if I don't st least try :). I love my reds but I have had red hair for years now and I think I need a change. :D

Arya
March 16th, 2012, 03:07 AM
Just thinking, have you thought of doing treebraids with blue extensions? you might be able to get the look you want that way. There used to be a picture online of a girl with blue hair in tree braids and white extensions that looked awesome, but I can't find it anywhere.

Schrei777
March 16th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Hmmm Ive never grata of tose before, ill hace to look them up :).

Schrei777
March 16th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Oh I know what they are now. They are cool but I don't think I could bare any kind of extensions, thanks for the suggestion though :).