View Full Version : About wooden combs...

HylianGirl
March 8th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Hello!

Recently I have gotten my wide toothed wooden comb and I love it! Here's what it looks like:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9827&pictureid=128237

But I have a question about it... the thing is, in order to keep my waves and curls I comb my hair before washing and after I wash, when it's wet. So my question is: Is that bad for the comb? I know it's not good to wet wooden tables and floor and all, so will wet hair ruin my comb? How can I protect it?

longcurlygirl<3
March 8th, 2012, 06:48 PM
I got mine from the body shop, and it says to wash it with warm water and soap. So I believe no?

Maktub
March 8th, 2012, 06:54 PM
I dry my wood comb very well right after any wet use (ex. dry + leave it in the sun a while) and oil it when 100 &#37; dry (ex. next day) and at least once a week. Really don't have any kind of problem so far !

HylianGirl
March 8th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the help ^-^ Mine didn't come with any instructions other than how to comb, and to avoid using with the blow drier and extreme expose to the sun, so I wasn't sure about water. So I'll make sure to dry it well and oil it like Maktub does ^-^ and longcurlygirl<3 thanks for letting me know that warm water and soap are recommended to wash it! That makes me feel better about combing when wet =)

Deborah
March 9th, 2012, 09:36 PM
You won't hurt it by using it on wet hair. You just don't want to leave it sitting in a big ole puddle.

Hairizona
March 10th, 2012, 02:48 PM
HylianGirl-

That is a beautiful comb! May I ask where you got it from?

Safira
March 11th, 2012, 12:27 AM
It really don&#180;t hurt your comb if you comb with it on wet hair. Maybe if you decide your coomb should swim few days and throw it to pool and pick it up week after.. :D

trolleypup
March 11th, 2012, 12:35 AM
When I get a new wood comb, I just drop it in a container of my oil of choice (usually camellia) for a night or few. If you are using it on wet hair, probably good to (re-)oil it from time to time.

woolyleprechaun
March 11th, 2012, 01:18 AM
I use my Body Shop one wet or damp sometimes. Its warped it slightly, but if anything thats improved it :)

Allychan
March 11th, 2012, 01:42 AM
Mine got soaked in oil and warped. A couple of months later it snapped :(. For my new one I rotate which side I lay it down on so the warp does not skew it too much to the one side again

HylianGirl
March 11th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the tips! I'll try oiling mine but I'll make sure not to overdo it, I guess once a week is good enough... I'll check then if it's necessary to do it more often or less... It's the first time a use a wooden comb, and when I used a plstic one I didn't have to worry about these things, good to know how to take good care of my comb ^-^

@Hairizona I answered you through a message, but I'll put it here just in case anyone else wants it too ^-^ I found my comb at a drugstore near my home, the brand's name is ricca, which is owned by belliz company. But since I am from Brazil so I don't know if they sell worldwide, I checked their website and found my comb there, although it looks a little different on their stock photo, it is the same product code: http://bellizcompany.com.br/ricca/pe...icca_basic/528 and here's their contact page http://bellizcompany.com.br/contact The top of their page has a option to make the website in english, but I noticed the only thins that appears to be in English is their home page, once I click anything else it goes back to portuguese, but if anyone needs help understanding I'd be glad to translate it =)