PDA

View Full Version : Heat-free texture change

Pinkster8
March 8th, 2012, 06:25 PM
So I've noticed over the past few months, since going totally heat-free, that I have some hairs that are curly, to a point. I used to pull out only straightish hairs, but now I keep finding loose spirals. Some of my baby hairs are extremely kinky. Also, my hair seems possibly more coarse. I tried clarifying and moisturizing but I think the coarseness is here to stay.

I'm so excited, I would love to have curly hair! :p Has anyone else's hair changed texture after going heat-free, or other changes in their routine?

torrilin
March 8th, 2012, 06:45 PM
No texture change. My hair is coarser now than it was in childhood, but not enough to take me out of the F category.

No curl level change either... the (ahem) wave has likely always been present in my hair, but wasn't noticeable due to my natural texture and my handling techniques. Fine hair isn't very strong, and 1c "waves" aren't exactly the strongest thing going either.

I'd hesitate to blame stopping using heat for coarser hair. Most of the time, heat damage is credited with making hair feel coarser. If you've swapped products around as well as your heat usage, I'd expect that it's the product change letting you identify the heat damage.

Either way, it took around 4 years for my hair to be free of heat damage after stopping. It's a really slow process, and unless you grow really fast, you're just at the start.

Mrsbaybeegurl
March 8th, 2012, 06:58 PM
I've noticed this since being heat free too. I have mainly straight hair and used to blowfry it every time I washed it. Since being without heat I have two almost perfect spirals that frame my face and more slight waves...who knew! I just henna'd lastnight so they might be lost for now as henna usually loosens curls a bit ...we shall see!