PDA

View Full Version : 2 year gives herself a "hair cut" "/ *Pictures*

nakmom
March 8th, 2012, 06:17 PM
My daughter found my hair scissors today by pulling up a chair and climbing on the counters while daddy was on the toilet and mommy (me) was at work. I don't know if I should just shave it all off or leave it alone to grow in. The back was completely untouched. We bought some hats for now. Sorry the pictures are so huge, I don't know how to make them smaller. The first is the "cut" and the other was taken a couple days ago (to show what it DID look like!).

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/416908_3538959751432_1195530046_33605118_556414369 _n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/424934_3512101759999_1195530046_33593929_194606741 2_n.jpg

Mrsbaybeegurl
March 8th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Aww..what an angel! Not b/c she cut her hair, she just looks too innocent to do something like that ;)

At the age of 3, I chopped about 12 inches of hair off MY MOTHER while she was fast asleep, so out of warning... hide scissors! lol

I would just leave her hair as is or maybe trim the back up so it doesn't grow out in two way different lengths. She will look beautiful no matter what. Plus children seem to grow hair differently than we do and somehow the length seems to always blend in even when it's uneven. But save the pictures, this will probably be a funny story you can remind her of years down the road lol

Miss Catrina
March 8th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Thank goodness she didn't hurt herself! I can't really tell, but in the second picture, her hair doesn't strike me as looking strange. You could just let it be.

TeaEarlGreyHot
March 8th, 2012, 06:30 PM
I cut my own hair with pinking shears a week before I was going to be a flower girl! My daughter cut her own hair when she was 4. My husband didn't notice all day and when I got home from work the first thing I said was, "YOU CUT YOUR HAIR!" I can't believe he didn't notice all day!

OrganicJewel
March 8th, 2012, 06:31 PM
oh gosh, my 2 yr old did that too, right on the top of her head as well. thankfully she has a lot of hair and it blended it. Well, they've all got to do that once, right? :)

Maktub
March 8th, 2012, 06:32 PM
ouf ! Glad it's only hair and she didn't hurt herself !
As for the haircut itself, I'd probably just laugh it off and let that part grow out. It will blend in nicely in no time.

holothuroidea
March 8th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Oh wow. :laugh: So cute, but so much trouble.

I don't know what I would do! It's hard to tell how it lays when it's dry from the first picture. She's young enough, though, that you can just put a bow in it and call it cute.

nakmom
March 8th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Aww..what an angel! Not b/c she cut her hair, she just looks too innocent to do something like that ;)

At the age of 3, I chopped about 12 inches of hair off MY MOTHER while she was fast asleep, so out of warning... hide scissors! lol

I would just leave her hair as is or maybe trim the back up so it doesn't grow out in two way different lengths. She will look beautiful no matter what. Plus children seem to grow hair differently than we do and somehow the length seems to always blend in even when it's uneven. But save the pictures, this will probably be a funny story you can remind her of years down the road lol

Oh my goodness! I would die if she hacked all my hair off! That's too funny you did that. I just laughed so hard when I came home. I didn't know what else to do. She started to cry and said, "I was trying to make my hair pretty, mommy." to which I replied, "It IS pretty baby. You look beautiful!" That cheered her up and now she wants to show EVERYONE.

I know kids hair is so much different than ours and her hair seems to grow quick, so that's why I considered buzzing it all off.

Thank goodness she didn't hurt herself! I can't really tell, but in the second picture, her hair doesn't strike me as looking strange. You could just let it be.

I know! I was so thankful she only got her hair. I'm really surprised she didn't hurt herself cutting it so close to her scalp. And the second picture was taken a few days ago BEFORE she cut it. I posted it to show the difference. :)

nakmom
March 8th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. It seems like A LOT of kids end up doing this. :o Here's a picture of it dry. It doesn't look as bad dry :P

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/419051_3537659918937_1195530046_33604715_362567929 _n.jpg

And the hair!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/424233_3537671439225_1195530046_33604719_162066820 8_n.jpg

PrairieRose
March 8th, 2012, 06:37 PM
I don't know what I would do! It's hard to tell how it lays when it's dry from the first picture. She's young enough, though, that you can just put a bow in it and call it cute.
I agree, I think she is young enough to just leave it for now.
Very cute by the way:)

Amber_Maiden
March 8th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Just leave it for now.

Hide anything sharp!!!

nakmom
March 8th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Seems like the popular vote both here and IRL is to leave it be, so that's what I'm going to do! She looks so stinkin cute in a hat anyway :P

And everything sharp is put away where she CAN'T get to them. I don't know why I never thought to put the scissors up like that though. They were up high where I *thought* she couldn't get to them, but she's at the age now where she seems to be able to get into/onto everything! She's a clever little thing :P

FrozenBritannia
March 8th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Headbands, your new best friend! Lol

i cut my bangs when I was about three, and then my mom tried to straighten them up... i ended up looking very similar! Lol!

Just leave it, its baby hair, everyone forgives baby hair. :D

And tie the cut part up in a ribbon and keep it as a keepsake. :) i have a lock from both my kids first haircuts, one day I might have it made into a hair locket type thing.

Bunnysaur
March 8th, 2012, 06:49 PM
That pic of you two is adorable!
When I was 4, my mom took me to get my hair cut, and I hated how it turned out. I wanted my bangs gone, so later that day, when she left me home with my dad and went out, I found the scissors and cut all my bangs straight off. There was about 1/2" left that just stuck straight up. When she got home, she went through the roof.
Definitely hide your scissors :P

CurlyCap
March 8th, 2012, 06:57 PM
That is so adorable!

She's two years old. It'll grow back in no time, and now you have some great pictures to show off when she gets married.

She could have done what I did at two, which apparently was trying to be daddy and shaving my face. With a blade. My mom still gets pale when she thinks about that. :D

turtlelover
March 8th, 2012, 07:08 PM
I thought my friend had split ends when I was maybe 7 years old, so I cut a good inch off her hair. It took her mom a month to notice! So glad it didn't turn out worse!!! I think a majority of kids do something like this at least once.

Miss Catrina
March 8th, 2012, 07:28 PM
I know! I was so thankful she only got her hair. I'm really surprised she didn't hurt herself cutting it so close to her scalp. And the second picture was taken a few days ago BEFORE she cut it. I posted it to show the difference. :)

Oh, durr. Sorry I missed that! The picture of the cut dry looks fine, too, though. I think you can make do.

xXfaitheyx
March 8th, 2012, 07:29 PM
yeah she is adorable:) And oh my gosh i would of been freaking out haha. She is very lucky she didn't get hurt! And there are so many kids out there who do this, If i were you i would just let her keep growing it out:) It'll get back to were it was soon enough-shes still young so it shoulod grow pretty fast:)

Nae
March 8th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Lol, yeah just leave it be. Every person out there that has ever had/known a kid that age knows that they ALL seem to hack off their own hair at some point or other. If people look at it twice it will only be to say to themselves, "Ahhhh....I remember when my fill in the blank here did that!"

If you shave it off you may get way more concern because people may be afraid she has cancer and really, no need to worry anybody.

P.S. She is adorable and I love that picture of you two together. Made my day!

Alvrodul
March 8th, 2012, 07:42 PM
What a cute little girl!

The hair will grow out again - and now you have a story you can embarass your daughter with when she gets older. ;):eyebrows:

spidermom
March 8th, 2012, 07:46 PM
My DD did that at 2 also. I cut the rest into a pixie. She looked adorable.

embee
March 8th, 2012, 08:17 PM
My DD cut to the scalp in front when she was not quite 4. Nothing for it but to let it grow back out. The hairdresser tried hard not to LOL but it was hopeless. At least the kids don't realize how it really looks, and when I offered a nice short cut all over *my* DD said NO - she wanted her hair in back to be long... a mullet?

Enjoy, they're only young once. :D

Bene
March 8th, 2012, 08:31 PM
My daughter found my hair scissors today by pulling up a chair and climbing on the counters while daddy was on the toilet and mommy (me) was at work. I don't know if I should just shave it all off or leave it alone to grow in. The back was completely untouched. We bought some hats for now. Sorry the pictures are so huge, I don't know how to make them smaller. The first is the "cut" and the other was taken a couple days ago (to show what it DID look like!).

She waited for the right time. Overachiever, right there :D

princessp
March 8th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Lol, I did that when I was around 5! Glad she didn't injure herself and what the heck hair grows back. She's adorable btw. :)

Beckstar
March 8th, 2012, 09:17 PM
My son did the same thing at 3 years old. Problem was that I noticed it as we were leaving to have our picture taken!!! It's a memorable picture!

tarn
March 8th, 2012, 09:38 PM
My daughter did exactly the same thing when she was almost 3. I ended up letting it grow - only a few painful months before it started looking 'normal'. After that it was fine, as she grew it into a fringe and then out to match her hair.
Now she is 9 and trying to grow to her bottom. It made her really appreciate long hair at least.

Bedhead
March 8th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Well, it certainly shows off her beautiful face!

I'd definitely leave it, it won't be long before most of it grows in anyway.... Not a bad job for being 2 though, eh? ;)

Johanna
March 8th, 2012, 10:15 PM
My sister did that to the front of her hair when she was 7, old enough to know better. Plus it was the day before family photos.

Tisiloves
March 8th, 2012, 10:26 PM
It'll blend in soon enough, it's not like toddlers' hair is ever neat enough to tell (at least not for more than 5 minutes) :D

tiny_teesha
March 8th, 2012, 10:31 PM
It'll grow in as bangs....i'd leave it personally, or maybe make a neater pixie fringe look so it grows out a little more blended and neat.
Some boy cut my sisters hair in primary school. My mother got so angry because she had hair down to her knees at the time with one short bit to her sholders! Haha, good times..

noelgirl
March 8th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Your girl is adorable! So many kids do that - a little girl (6 y.o.) I tutor is obsessed with scissors. She has cut her own hair several times - pretty much any time she has brand-new bangs, I know exactly why, and I've been wearing my hair up when I work with her because she's semi-jokingly gone after my hair a couple of times! She cut a hole in her uniform skirt once as well.

One time when she needed scissors for a homework assignment, she was surprised that they were hidden in a high cabinet. She really thought I didn't know. See, grownups have this toy called Facebook, and your mommy told everyone all about the uniform skirt . . .

einna
March 9th, 2012, 12:50 AM
What a cute child, I am glad it went relatively ok. My sister did a similar thing when she was 3, only she cut more, and had to have her waist hair cut to shoulder, with "bangs" VERY much like your girl.

MonaLisa
March 9th, 2012, 12:57 AM
Haha, silly baby :)
Well at least you and she will have something to laugh about in several years :)

joflakes
March 9th, 2012, 01:06 AM
Aww! So cute yet so troublesome.
I did this when I was a couple years older than that. I had waist length hair and there was a hole in the fence and I let the boy next door give me a "hait cut". One side was jaw length! I had a bob from then on, haha.

Littlewing13
March 9th, 2012, 01:14 AM
lol my sister did this many times as a little one! so funny. mum 'evened' it out & ended up making it worse!

nakmom
March 9th, 2012, 08:59 AM
I was so happy to wake up and read everyone's comments! :D It makes me feel so much better know that so many others have had the same experience! I hope her hairs awkward stage comes and goes quickly :p She looks like a balding man right now, but an adorable balding man. :laugh:

She keeps running up to me today saying, "Momma! Look at my hair! I broke it!" She's so stinkin cute! :crush:

terylenerose
March 9th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I tried to cut my hair to shoulder length when I was 10 but I didn't know where that was so it ended up at collarbone. I also cut in some too short bangs. I think having it so short was the reason why I decided to grow it out.

Eternal.Fiend
March 9th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Aww, she is adorable :D I did the same thing when I was younger, except I didn't cut it so short! Looking at the picture I have of me then, I just looked like I had a rather random fringe.... but as people have been saying, she's young, and cute, so people probably won't notice that much, just wait for it to grow out :)

ravenheather
March 9th, 2012, 11:48 AM
I'd just get a couple wide headbands (the stretchy ones) with flowers or bows. And cover it up. At least you dd has hair to cut. My dd2 has inch long blonde fuzz on her head and she'll be 2 in May.

melusine963
March 9th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Goodness, she did a thorough job there! I think if you leave it a month or so the front bits will get longer and look like bangs. I have to admit I also cut my hair once (when I was a lot older than 2) but nothing quite as drastic as this.

BlondieHepburn
March 9th, 2012, 01:12 PM
I did the same thing as a small child, with my baby sister's infant fingernail scissors. I had a pretty spiffy mullet for a while. :p

irisheyes
March 9th, 2012, 09:22 PM
I think her hair will grow in really cute in a month or two, so I wouldn't change a thing.

This situation reminds me of my own hair cut disaster years ago. I had bought a pair of children's scissors for my daughter to use in kindergarten. The packaging stated the scissors "will not cut hair", an important selling point because my daughter had fingertip length hair at age 5 and I didn't want any cutting experiments. I wore my hair short at the time with a long rat tail trailing over my shoulder. To test the scissors, I boldly offered up my tail - and with my encouragement, my daughter chopped off my rat tail and totally ruined my hairstyle!

MagicAndMayhem
March 9th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. It seems like A LOT of kids end up doing this. :o Here's a picture of it dry. It doesn't look as bad dry :P

Is it bad that my MOM gave ME similar hair cuts when I was that age?? My bangs were literally a cm long. Lol. She's still a cutie.

RocketDog
March 9th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Oh, man, my little sister did this several times between 3-5 years old, the last time she cut the little ponytail right off the top of her head and mom finally caved and had her hair trimmed into a little pixie cut. SO FREAKING CUTE.

MasCat
March 10th, 2012, 06:36 AM
I actually cut off my eyelashes when I was a kid. Don't know why. Seemed a good idea at the time ;)

The Gods were watching though and I didn't poke out my eye with scissors :)

embee
March 10th, 2012, 09:50 AM
One of my friends said she and her sister cut their mom's hair while mom was taking a nap on the sofa.... of course they only got the one side....

Be grateful DD cut her own hair, not yours. :)

I trimmed my own bangs the day before Family Photo day... my mom was *so* mad!

jacqueline101
March 10th, 2012, 10:50 AM
I'd probably let it grow out too. Leave it alone.

Xandergrammy
March 10th, 2012, 11:01 AM
I think it's a rite of passage of sorts for a child to cut their own hair at least once. My 31 year old son did it when he was 4- right before Easter. His was like your daughters- cut really really short in front. He hid from the Easter bunny because he was afraid the Easter bunny would be mad. :gabigrin:

Sunny_side_up
March 10th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Aww she's so cute! the short should hopefully be blending into the long given time, she's soo pretty anyways :)

ozzy
April 30th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Hehe so cute! I did similar thing just before my communion, I had hip length hair and I've cut it al just a day before, I think because my mother was so strict to leaving it long for the communion made me want to cut it even more. I looked absolutely hourendus to say the least.

MagicalMystery
April 30th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Aww! Yeah that's scary... I hide all my scissors from my 4 year old boy. He managed to chop off a chunk of his bangs once, but I caught him early enough to avoid major damage to his cut. Thankfully children's hair grow fast.

krisbb
April 30th, 2012, 08:04 PM
you'll be surprised in a couple months it wont hardy show, my son cut his sisters hair when he was 4 and she 3 she already had super fine and not much hair i caught them at it when i heard him say here sis now YOU give me a haircut... oh and while he was at it he "drew" eye brows on her forhead with permanent marker. when he was ten he decided he had "girly" eye lashes so he cut those off too. :rolleyes:

ladylowtide
April 30th, 2012, 08:07 PM
lucky it was just the hair. when my fiancee was little he ran around with scissors in his mouth, tripped and fell on his face... he has a hard time whispering because he messed something up in his throat...

Maelyssa
April 30th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Poor kiddo! I've currently got a VERY curious climber too who will wait until your completely unable to stop her (using the toilet or something similar) to get into things. I'd honestly letitgofor the time being butler has take her to a salon wo see if they can do a little bit of blending the back with the front. As her grows in more then you can little by little trim it to even it out as necessary.

This reminds me of when my oldest daughter was in kindergarten and I received a call to go the school. When I got there they handed me an envelope that contained her beautiful curly pony tails that she cut off with safety scissors.
And let me not forget a few months ago when my 9 year old decided to shave her eyebrows with her sister's razor. They just grew back this past month. Lol...kids!

nakmom
April 30th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Thought I'd give an update since I logged on tonight and saw this had been commented on today! :D It is growing in nicely and fast, too!

ETA: Holy huge photos Batman! I don't know how to resize! Sorry!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/528053_3870664923854_1195530046_33753096_612155126 _n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/578670_3915446763372_1195530046_33770034_985534766 _n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/463109_3915752491015_1195530046_33770094_206914111 1_o.jpg

MagicalMystery
April 30th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Awesome! :)

skaempfer
April 30th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Okay. This has got to be the cutest mullet on planet earth. What a total sweetypie!

Carrie Ingalls
April 30th, 2012, 11:22 PM
It is growing out so fast! Thanks for updating us.

When I was 4.5 my then 7.5 year old brother tried to put my hair in a pony tail (to "help" mom since she wasn't up yet). Well, he got most of the hair through the elastic, but couldn't figure out how to get it all through...so he just cut the rest off. He swears it looked REALLY GOOD, until mom took the elastic out. Then mom cut my hair to my shoulders so that it was more even.

Ninika
April 30th, 2012, 11:27 PM
She's adorable! :) That super short fringe looks very trendy.

And hi to a fellow BWer :waving:

clarinette
May 1st, 2012, 02:36 AM
LOL!!! My 2 y old did the same thing last month !! she gave herself a one-side mullet , from the bangs (same lenght) to way behind her ear. The other side is untouched . It does grow back but i get a lot of "why don't you even that mess out into a bowl cut?" comments . My answer is "because " :D it really is a 2 y old thing ! your daughter still looks adorable though even with a bald patch (lol again , sorry but I find those accidents so funny and typical !) so that's reassuring :D

mrs_coffee
May 1st, 2012, 03:06 AM
Oh gosh, she is such a little cutie. http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm215/tackyblueeyeshadow/Smileys/flirty.gif

All three of my kids did that when they were around that age. It's like a toddler rite of passage.

Zarina
May 1st, 2012, 11:23 AM
What a sweetie! SO cute! Ah, I miss mine being that size...

My sister, when she was 4 or 5, got the little neighbor boy to go down into a basement playroom during his birthday party for a haircut. She had super thin wispy blonde hair and he had a head full of golden ringlets... one pair of safety scissors and roll of scotch tape later he didn't have anymore curls... but she did. MY mom was mortified, his mom was really upset, but both the kids were happy. He didn't like having "girl" hair. lol

lapushka
May 1st, 2012, 02:33 PM
My sister, when she was 4 or 5, got the little neighbor boy to go down into a basement playroom during his birthday party for a haircut. She had super thin wispy blonde hair and he had a head full of golden ringlets... one pair of safety scissors and roll of scotch tape later he didn't have anymore curls... but she did. MY mom was mortified, his mom was really upset, but both the kids were happy. He didn't like having "girl" hair. lol

OMG the imagery! :lol: Little rascals! :D