PDA

View Full Version : "Awkward stage" thread

Miss Catrina
March 8th, 2012, 05:42 PM
There's a super shorty thread, but I don't know of one specifically to bemoan the awkward stage. So, let's commiserate!

As for me, my once-was pixie is officially a mullet. The only solution I've found doesn't so much hide it as embrace it - I wear big headbands so I look like a background extra in an 80s workout video:

http://i40.tinypic.com/4ik0mh.jpg

But, otherwise, all the hair at my nape wants to stick out to the sides and be seen from the front, so I'll be doing this for a while.

How is everyone else fighting it?

Tisiloves
March 8th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Where I'm growing out my undercut it looks like I have weirdly chunky transitional hairs, I'm also rocking a lot of headbands/scarfs. I've also fould that slicking it down with a bit of coconut oil helps combat a bit of the "Sonic effect".

BlueMuse
March 8th, 2012, 11:16 PM
I like the headband :).

It has been a while since my awkward stage, but I wore tons of headbands, pretty much all the time as I was growing out my bangs. I can't say it was the most flattering look, but it did keep me from hacking everything off again.

icallitbliss
March 9th, 2012, 01:45 AM
Well, my hair was in the awkward stage, and then I ended up cutting it, so now it's even WORSE and in an even bigger awkward stage than before. :( I feel like I'll never get out of it!

Basically I'm now trying to not look at the shorter hair I cut. I'm trying to just tuck it back behind my ears or hide it with headbands, so I don't have to see it. Cause when I see it, I get depressed. I also hide it under a cute knit hat.

Though, I blowdryed it today, and it came out really nice and smooth. It ALMOST didn't look bad!

Here's a pic of me, with my huge flowery headband.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/icallitbliss/newdo.jpg

Mostly, I just evened out my sides with my top layer in the back, so they'll all grow out at the same time to one length in the end. I've tried to explain this theory to family members, and they all think I'm crazy and just continually scissor-happy. They all have a bet going that I'll never have long hair again. I'm trying to prove them wrong by getting to at LEAST shoulder length by December. :)

KwaveT
March 9th, 2012, 01:19 PM
My hair has been a mullet the whole time that I have been growing it. Back is to shoulder and side are at jaw. I would rather get the neck awkward phase over with and I finally have. It is annoying having your hair catch in your collar and constantly pulling it out. As for the sides mine still stick out. I stick my hair inside the leg of my glasses to keep it pushed down some. That's my personal solution to that problem.

NymphSpirit
March 9th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Ugh... the never ending stage... Once it finished for my longer hair, my front hair started going through it, now my front hair is at a comfortable length but my undercut (sides) is rebelling with full force... and this is the one I'm suffering the most; it sticks out from underneath my longer hair and it looks crazy :o right now I simply tuck it behind my ear while it's wet and hope it dries in a nice -calm- shape :eek:

By the way, the -extra in an 80's workout video- headband is a fantastic idea, haha

Mostly, I just evened out my sides with my top layer in the back, so they'll all grow out at the same time to one length in the end. I've tried to explain this theory to family members, and they all think I'm crazy and just continually scissor-happy. They all have a bet going that I'll never have long hair again. I'm trying to prove them wrong by getting to at LEAST shoulder length by December. :)

For it to be at one lenght in the end you'll have to trim quite often, since the different areas of the head grow at quiiiite different rates :p

ratgirldjh
March 9th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I had a cute bob haircut over the summer and it is now shoulder length. However the nape area which was cut very short has been growing faster than all the other hair and I've had to trim it several times to keep it from sticking out like a tail!

I'm finally where I can wear my hair up and it feels sooo much thicker than when it was long (I think the baby hairs are catching up!) and so I'm happy I cut it :)

Although right now it is at that barely hit my shoulder and flip up phase... lol

SchnauzerMom
March 9th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Mine is in the awkward stage right now. This is usually the time when I cut it off but NOT this time. I'm basically just ignoring it.

AcornMystic
March 9th, 2012, 05:06 PM
I am totally understanding the awkward stage thing. I started to really understand what it is when after about a month of working at McDonald's realized my hair was simply too long to wear down with my visor on, as girls are to wear visors and boys are to wear ball caps. I looked like a tomboy wearing a sun visor. So, I started to get a little creative. I would pony it and make a band of barettes across the top of my head to hold my bangs and then some at the back to hold the agonizingly short back hairs that even then pulled themselves out and stuck up and out of the back of my head. The pony was pitifully short and thin. It also, and even more noticeably worse, points in whatever direction it feels like so I have to reposition some hairs to make it look at least a little more like it is not defying gravity. It likes to point to either a 7 o'clock or 5 o'clock, but hardly ever straight down. Though I'll wet the pony and form it to a point if I have enough time for it to dry a bit.

Then I bought a headband for it. It worked, for the most part, but with the visor it looked pretty ridiculous having a headband covering the back of my head. Then I found one of my full-comb headbands I acquired when I was a teen. It had to be the colour of my hair or similar to it so it worked out great being black. It also gave the top of my head a nice simple comb-like design. Unfortunately, recently I've discovered the corners of my forehead are very thin with hair and the hem/baby hairs are a whitish colour and so you can see the patches peeking out of my visor. It makes it look like I have bald patches. mostly visible on my left side and not flattering, I think. So I've just taken to dealing with the barettes at the back of my head and twisting my bangs and pinning them to the sides of my head with barettes. Fortunately, I've come a long way since the beginning of November when I first got the job.

When it's down the awkwardness is that the longest hairs are at the back and the shorter ones at the sides. Now for longer haired folk that isn't such a bad thing, and fortunately when I had my hair cut to go all virgin I requested the sides be left long, over my ears, but I'm still suffering from flipping sides, being shorter than the back, and a cow-lick at my nape. I don't think my awkward stage will end until my side hairs are shoulder and the longer hair at the back has enough weight to weigh down my cow-lick to at least hide it which will probably be closer to APL.

Ahh.. nothing to do but wait..

Sammich
March 9th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Me? I rock the mullet anyway.

:D

terylenerose
March 9th, 2012, 05:49 PM
I would be in an awkward stage right now if it weren't for French braids. My hair is chin length in the front and barely APL in the back when stretched. I can't do anything with it other than double French/Dutch braids or these short pieces stick out in front and it looks like I have an asymmetrical bob with fairytale ends. Slowly getting rid of the fairytale ends though. I like them but they look weird on short hair. And now that I've been maintaining for 2 months to get rid of bleach damage it's starting to look and feel so short. I started wearing it up to protect it but I keep doing it because it drifts in front of my shoulders when it's down, which I have always hated, and it starts feeling really short after a few minutes. It's not awkward when it's in braids, but any other hairstyle and it's nutty to deal with. It's slowly getting better, though.

amberpotamus
March 9th, 2012, 06:28 PM
I also vote for massive flower/feather headbands... Along with constant trimming off of the horrid mullet tail... I'm aiming to get a blunt cut, even bob, then keep it long enough to get rid of about 1 1/2-2 inches of damage from nasty dyes before I reconverted to henna. I'm getting close!!

swearnsue
March 12th, 2012, 07:44 PM
I've had to trim the back a few times to let the sides catch up. Today I trimmed the sides at an angle from the "bangs" downward to the back. So now the notch where my ear was is evened out. So the mullet is finally gone!

sfgirl
March 13th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Can I post in this thread? The entire hai in front of my ears and around my face is above chin and I can fit it in braids or updos:(

georgia_peach
March 13th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Mine is in the awkward stage right now. This is usually the time when I cut it off but NOT this time. I'm basically just ignoring it. How great to see you, SchnauzerMom! I wondered how you and your hair were doing. :)

Well, to address the awkward stage, I use jaw clips. I use the tiny ones to grow out layers and bangs and progressively larger ones to start putting up the back of my hair. They are the only thing that has really worked for me.

racrane
March 13th, 2012, 06:04 PM
For me, I had an "awkward" stage from between shoulder to APL last summer. I did a lot of little braids and put flowers in my hair. It really helped for that awkward time. I think hair accessories like flowers, headbands or barrettes can really help. :)

Miss Catrina
March 13th, 2012, 06:55 PM
I don't know what on earth I'm going to do in about a month when my "bangs" start getting in my eyes. I don't think I want "bangs", but I can't just sweep them back... all my hair falls forward!

Hello Kitty <3
June 6th, 2012, 06:23 AM
I don't know what on earth I'm going to do in about a month when my "bangs" start getting in my eyes. I don't think I want "bangs", but I can't just sweep them back... all my hair falls forward!

I am totally there with ya, Miss Catrina!! All my hair seems to grow forward and refuses to stay back, I thought it was just me!! This is usually about the time I cut back to a pixie because I cannot STAND hair in my face/eyes, it kills me! Right now, my shortest layers are about to my chin and the back of my hair is to the nape of my neck. Mullet, here i come! haha :p

Tisiloves
June 6th, 2012, 06:30 AM

You could try lacebraids, my fringe is a bit above my eyebrows and I can still lace braid all but the shortest hairs back.

browneyedsusan
June 6th, 2012, 07:50 AM
This is horrible. I look like I really need a haircut! My bangs are poking my eyes, all my hair falls forward, and I'm dangerously close to mullet territory!

Thanks to the LHC and henna, my hair is soft and shiny, but it's slippery! I'm trying to get my bangs under control, but am having problems getting them "up" for more than a couple of hours. Everything just slides out: pins, jaw clips, headbands, braids--it's a little too short and slippery...

Anybody got any ideas? or, it this typical, and I just need to suck it up until my hair grows out a little more?

ravenheather
June 6th, 2012, 07:51 AM
My hair is awkward right now too. It is growing from a chin length bob. Right now it is collarbone length but I'm growing out bangs. Two weeks ago my bangs and some shorter bits on the sides would stay back when I put them up. Now they are too long and fall down. So I'm putting my hair up and wearing a headband. I'm just going to wear my hair up for every day this summer.

Tisiloves
June 6th, 2012, 08:27 AM
This is horrible. I look like I really need a haircut! My bangs are poking my eyes, all my hair falls forward, and I'm dangerously close to mullet territory!

Thanks to the LHC and henna, my hair is soft and shiny, but it's slippery! I'm trying to get my bangs under control, but am having problems getting them "up" for more than a couple of hours. Everything just slides out: pins, jaw clips, headbands, braids--it's a little too short and slippery...

Anybody got any ideas? or, it this typical, and I just need to suck it up until my hair grows out a little more?

A bit of AVG and water in a spritzer bottle? It's my LHC approved answer to hairspray. It held pincurls for 9 whole hours!

dollyfish
June 6th, 2012, 08:32 AM

Very typical, but that doesn't mean you can't do anything about it! Thankfully my hair is a friction-y wonderland so it tangles easily, but I have no problems pinning etc. But for those with thin or slippery hair I recommend putting the teensiest bit of oil (EOs mixed in seem to help, maybe I'm just crazy) on the hair first to build up some stick and friction. It should soak in slowly and rinse out well (unlike hair spray!) but hold your hair together.

browneyedsusan
June 6th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Thank you so much, Dollyfish and Tisiloves.

I'd never have thought that oil would make something grippier! I've got castor oil and just bought teenage DD some morrocan oil--she's been lurking :)--so I'll give it a try.

What is AVG? (I hairsprayed my little bangbraid this morning, I was desperate.)

Tisiloves
June 6th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Thank you so much, Dollyfish and Tisiloves.

I'd never have thought that oil would make something grippier! I've got castor oil and just bought teenage DD some morrocan oil--she's been lurking :)--so I'll give it a try.

What is AVG? (I hairsprayed my little bangbraid this morning, I was desperate.)

AVG=aloe vera gel, the clear kind.

As it's a humectant it might dry your hair out in arid weather (I have not idea what the climate's like in Indiana).

Altariel
June 6th, 2012, 09:59 AM
I'm in the akward phase too! I use tons of bobby pins so I can keep my hair out of sight , when I go out I use an Alice band. I place it leaving the bang out, doing like this I feel the hair less horrible :)

Louise148
June 7th, 2012, 07:15 AM
I'm definitely at an awkward stage as my pixie cut is now at about 4inches all over. The sides have just reached the bottom of my ears and I have a little mullet.

I found some tiny little jaw clips the other day so I am now twisting the front along my hairline and using these little clips (I love them). I do occasionally use alice bands but I find they give me headaches sore patches behind my ears..ouch :( So I have stoppped using them lately.

Sunglasses can double as a hairband without looking like I have a hairband on I just keep then on my head and try and act cool...LOL :p

Lou x

browneyedsusan
June 7th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Follow-up post:
It's still awkward, but manageable.

The teensy oiling helped a lot, and I have AVG on my grocery list.

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I got spoiled with years of "wash-n-go". This transition is hard. I sometimes feel disheveled: bangs in my face, need a haircut, can't make a ponytail yet.

If my bangs look better, I feel better. :)

Tisiloves
June 7th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Follow-up post:
It's still awkward, but manageable.

The teensy oiling helped a lot, and I have AVG on my grocery list.

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I got spoiled with years of "wash-n-go". This transition is hard. I sometimes feel disheveled: bangs in my face, need a haircut, can't make a ponytail yet.

If my bangs look better, I feel better. :)

Hang in there, once they reach the tuck behind the ears stage it'll be much better.

Altariel
June 7th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Today I braided my bangs :) it was the first time ever :D

Indigostreams
June 7th, 2012, 08:44 AM
I think the headband looks cute on you. On me would be a different story though hahaaa.

Amethyste
June 7th, 2012, 11:33 AM
I remember doing "rolls" with my bangs and clip them underneath the top layerof my hair so the bangs are away from my eyes and the scissors lol. I am in a weird stage myself, aside a few shorter layers on the top of my crown, my hair is pretty much all the same length a little bit above shoulders. my hair overall was "longer" before I found out that i actually have waves! So now, I treat it as if it is wavy and somewhat curled up making my overall length a little shorter. But man oh man, I am so happy that I found out! it makes it so easy to style in the morning! I pretty much scrunch my hair with baby oil/gel and water, use the diffuser, clip little hairs here and there and I am out the door! Woo!

The picture isn't so great, but you get the idea :)

http://flic.kr/p/bV2CQ4

or link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/75639728@N06/7163660971/

GardenGirl
June 7th, 2012, 12:03 PM
I'm so glad I found this thread today. I was actually thinking of coming on here and whining about my awkward stage, but didn't think anyone would really want to listen to that. :p It's nice to know I'm not alone in this misery!

My most recent frustration is the back. I keep looking in the mirror and seeing the hair in the back starting to stick out and do weird things (even after I've "fixed" it and think it's where it should be). I'm in this strange limbo where it's not really mullet length back there but I want to get it trimmed....but I don't want to get it trimmed. I just had it trimmed at the start of May, so I keep thinking I'll just put it off for another week or so. Then, I catch a glimpse of it and think "I need to get this trimmed". ugh!

I just wish there was a magic wand I could wave and this would be done.

geeorgie
June 7th, 2012, 12:31 PM
I wouldn't say I'm in an awkward stage with length as such (Though I can't wait to FINALLY get past shoulder!) but it's the layers that are so awkward! I don't know whether it was from bleach damage or when my hair was parted differently, but I have a really short layer on one side, lying under the top layers, about 4 inches long (I'm SL) It's really annoying because my top layers are also short (that was cutting off bleach damage) so that side of my head is really flat and lies weird. The more annoying thing is that it's going to take at least a year for that layer to reach my length now, and I really don't want to maintain at this length when the bottom layers are doing so well!

I think it's going to have to be a case of suck it up until I reach collar bone or APL on my bottom layers, and then maintain from there. The good news is that my hair doesn't feel as flat as it did due to henna/cassia, so I know when these dodgy layers grow out, my hairs going to be the thickest it's ever been!

browneyedsusan
June 8th, 2012, 12:53 PM
cleaning house today.
I'm still not used to my hair actually touching my neck, and it is making me feel hot, so I broke out the "buff", and made a microscopic pony stub in the back to keep it from rolling off my head. I look ridiculous, but am not quite as sweaty...:p

GlennaGirl
June 8th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Little clippies FTW! Get a whole bunch of fun ones. I still have some dragonflies I wear occasionally even though I technically don't need them (my bangs brush easily to the side).

JuniperBerry
June 8th, 2012, 06:04 PM

seven77
June 8th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Right now my mullet is tiny enough to put in baby pig tails and then bobby pin them up, then a layer of hair almost covers it, so it kind of hides that I have hair pinned up and I look like I have a very layered pixie/bob cut.
Once my layers cover my ears, it will look more bob like, but still many many layers.
Not cutting the mullet though, I'm keeping it for as long as I can stand it.

akilina
June 8th, 2012, 10:15 PM
I feel like for me that anything above BSL is going to be "awkward" >___< I took a new photo in my signature today and I feel like I am barely just leaving the awkward stage. :/

Navi
June 8th, 2012, 11:18 PM
I'm definitely in the awkward stage, thank God my fringe has finally grown out and is no longer poking me in the eyeballs all the time... I'm growing out a bob and it's now not quite SL, so the ends flip in random directions.

Just that bit too short for a nice neat ponytail too! The other day I was walking down the street and my small flexi-8 fell out of my hair 'cos I can't get enough hair into it to keep it secure yet :(

LizTheLyre
June 8th, 2012, 11:48 PM
I can only sort of relate, a few months ago, i decided that i would look cute with long bangs. i wear a deep side part and so all the hair in the normal bang area of my haed i cut to the bottom of my nose. i took the hair above my ear to the part and cut it to the same lavel. the bangs could mostly fit in a high ponytail, but there was no hope for the side bits. its grown out to chin but i still can't do anything with it. I;ve never cut my hair very short so i've never had to deal with a super awkward, but after seeing this thread, i'm not envious. stay strong though, with great patients come great hair :)

4C4rly4
June 9th, 2012, 12:55 AM
I think it looks cute with the headband! :]

PoppyCakes
June 9th, 2012, 06:01 AM
I want to see more pictures of the awkward mullet stage! I'm a few months away yet, but i'm getting nervous.

Tisiloves
June 9th, 2012, 09:32 AM
I want to see more pictures of the awkward mullet stage! I'm a few months away yet, but i'm getting nervous.

Some people never really get one, a couple of my mates have grown out from shaved and depending on you head shape/difference in growth rate it can just look like a really heavily layered cut.

JuniperBerry
June 9th, 2012, 11:23 AM

PoppyCakes
June 11th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Some people never really get one

I really hope you are right, i'm not sure I can afford the type of hairstylists that the likes of Cynthia Nixon go to.

Logi Bear
June 12th, 2012, 12:00 AM
I am totally in the awkward stage (have been for a while), I am growing my hair out from a head shave and it is now just about SL, and of course full of uneven layers from growth. It sticks out all funny and looks ridiculous, i can just barely put it in an itty bitty pony tail now. (with the aid of a zillion bobby pins) but for the most part I just use a bandana to keep it from sticking out everywhere, looking ridiculous, and annoying me.

Emme76
June 12th, 2012, 02:24 AM
I am also at this stage :mad:! And I hate it. My hair in between chin and shoulder. I can put it up in clips, pins and now I can also do ropebrids on each side and pin them in the back :D! So happy about that. But my hair is super fine and thin. I always end up cutting it. I have done so for the last 15 years. So the odds are not very good. :o BUT I hope I will keep to my goal this time. First BSL and then we will see.

I also joined the thread " super shorties growing it out (I think it is called) I posted pictures there incase anyone wants to see. I will try to get around to post pictures here also. :)

Anyone else that is growing out fine/thin hair?
I always been told I canīt have long hair - so growing it out now is also giving me an odd feeling. Like everyone else is looking at me like I am crazy. And like they are thinking to themselves "why doesnīt she just keep it short. Thin hair just donīt look good long." Well - I have seen many here on TLHC with fine/thin long lovely hair :blossom: so why not me?
I just have to get my confidence up!!!!!
Anyone else feeling something similar?

Hugs to you all!!!!!:)

browneyedsusan
June 13th, 2012, 05:29 PM

Do you think the blazing red henna will distract folks from my AWKWARD looking siggy? :D
(It's my one-month growth micro-milestone.)

You might look this spectacular in a few months!

patienceneeded
June 13th, 2012, 05:44 PM
My hair awkwardness comes from my bangs, which (foolish me) I only had cut into my hair in December 2011. After several months, and a few self-trims, I decided they weren't worth the maintenance and decided to grow them back out. They are JUST barely not long enough to tuck behind my ears. 1 more inch and they'll tuck well. Right now, they are just annoying. I pin them back with bobby pins on most days. Some days, I'll use my straightening iron on them so they'll look decent, and then let them alone.

I SWEAR I HAVE LEARNED MY LESSON THIS TIME REGARDING BANGS! They may LOOK cute but require too much styling due to my cowlicks, and wavy curls. It's just not worth the hassle.

NataschaB.
June 14th, 2012, 03:44 PM
My hair is also in the awkward stage. I do a rope braid on my left side (my hair is uneven and this side is the longest part) and and tuck my hair behind my ear on the right side.

Groooooow, please :D I can't wait for shoulderlength!!

Dr. Hank McCoy
June 14th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Well, that might work for you, (and it does BTW... CUTE!)

But I dont think I could pull off that look, seeing as how I'm a guy and what not :p

Luckly my hair has some curl to it, so I've just been letting it do its thing. It's past the first part of the awkward stage, but I still feel like I have a mullet :(

Tisiloves
June 14th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Luckly my hair has some curl to it, so I've just been letting it do its thing. It's past the first part of the awkward stage, but I still feel like I have a mullet :(

Have you tried encouraging the curl by scrunching/ploping?

Dreamers91
June 14th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but anyone who is in that "awkward stage," it may give you inspiration to push through if you see my journey from pixie to BSL. (My only cut was in Dec 2012) Here's the link (lots of pictures).
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=81864

jacqueline101
June 14th, 2012, 04:43 PM
My awkward stage is now growing out my layers gaining what I lost. I'm ignoring it and that I found is the best. Retire your ruler wear it up ignore and benign neglect along with monistat. That's what helps me make it through troubled times.

Intransigentia
June 14th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Oh arrrgh the awkward stage! What kept me going was lots of silly/fun/sparkly barrettes and clips, and knowing that if I cut I'd have to wait a few months to be able to use them again.

Now I'm at another awkward stage: my hair is starting to touch my lower back/upper bum area, and all of a sudden my usual updos are either falling out or sitting all awkward and uncomfortable. woe is me. (not that I'm complaining that much, though. this is a good problem to have!)

PoppyCakes
June 14th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Do you think the blazing red henna will distract folks from my AWKWARD looking siggy? :D
(It's my one-month growth micro-milestone.)

You might look this spectacular in a few months!

Your hair is so shiny, and definitely not too awkward!
Are you trimming the bottom layers?

browneyedsusan
June 15th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Your hair is so shiny, and definitely not too awkward!
Are you trimming the bottom layers?

nope.

I last visited the hairdresser mid-April, and she trimmed the back up to my hairline on my neck.

I think she only took about 1/2" off the tail, based on about 5 weeks of growth from a shave, and I grow at the average rate --1/2" per month. I started with the top around 2 or 3", and it got shorter as it went down my head. I had it shaved over my ears and on the back of my head. Not a great description, but I hope it helps you.

Thank you so much for the compliment. The henna makes it shiny. (and RED and soft and strong...)

turtlelover
June 15th, 2012, 10:06 AM
There is not too much I can do to disguise the poof in my hair at this length unless I use a straightening iron, which I want to avoid, so I am just pulling the sides back into a barrette and trying to ignore it. I know a shorter cut would fix the problem, but I know that if I give in, I'll just hate myself even more than I already do for chopping off my hair last week!!!!

Loviatar
June 15th, 2012, 10:24 AM
When I pixied, I had it cut into the shape of my favourite LARP wig. :lol: But I've expected it to be awkward, as all my previous pixies have been terrible growing out.

It hasn't been. My pixie was cute, but this shaggy grown-out pixie is super flattering. I miss my sticks and braids though.

So I probably don't belong in the thread :oops:

Ice Fox
June 15th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Oh! The dreaded awkward stage! The only thing to do is to suspend all vanity, avoid mirrors like the plague, and ignore the fact that you even have hair! One day you'll find you've got half-way long hair. That's how it works for me, anyway. If I don't ignore it I always end up caving at the mullet stage. Now with shoulder length hair! I have broken through the pain barrier!

All the best!

starry
June 15th, 2012, 11:16 AM
I'm in an awkward stage, my 2b hair is at chin length and has just started with the curls now that its gotten this long.. I got a little fringe cut at the hairdresser which will look good with my white 50's eyeglasses. Cant wit till my hair is at shoulder length!

The fringe has totally helped as I look polished. It makes the length look longer too! I intend to keep it for a very long time so I'm comfortable with having it chopped professionally on a long term basis.

I've implemented WO washing which has helped my hair growth and health of the hair.

---Mostly what I did till it got to this length (now I just leave it down because I wont be able to when its longer) was clip it and do a little pony,

---I also used combs- like Id take the two side bits of the front of the head and back comb them in into a half-up sort of style which got lot of compliments... You can get pretty combs online... the style is bit conservative for some people but nice nonetheless.

Dr. Hank McCoy
June 15th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Have you tried encouraging the curl by scrunching/ploping?

Well, I dont usually use any product in my hair, so i dont really scrunch... and I have NO IDEA what ploping is, but is sounds fun :p

My hair gets more curly when its humid, so I just let it air dry, and then I spray/mist it and it curls up, and usually will hold for the day..... unless I play with it a lot.... which I do:D.... then it's just really wavy.

nobeltonya
June 15th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Mine was trying to grow out from a pixie, then cutting it into the reverse bob.. this weird stage didn't end until I was at shoulder, when it was finally all one length.. then the next one began at that point until about waist, when my hair actually looked decent and I started being gentler with it. :rolling:

cremenoir
June 15th, 2012, 01:01 PM
oh glorious awkward stage! mine lasted about 2 years (still sort of happening now, but getting much much better), as i grew out my pixie but simultaneously had to cut off a TON of old bleach damage, making the awkward stage between pixie and shoulder seemingly drag on foreevvvvveerrr. now i'm solidly at shoulder, but still working on growing out old awkward-ish layers. headbands are my friend.

i tried fighting the awkward stage, straightening my hair, re-cutting it a lot hoping each time would fix the awkwardness (never true), etc. but it only stretched the phase out even longer. headbands, hats, weird accessories, i'd say just embrace the quirky vibe and let it grow.

Finnenna
June 15th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I think I'm in an awkward stage. I feel as though I am. My hair is finally just past shoulder length but not really much longer...not APL, at the very least. I have no idea what to do with my hair. It's long enough that some styles require ends to be tucked in awkwardly where I can. And it's not long enough to do some of the styles I want to do properly. It's just rather annoying, and I have no idea what to do with it now! I'm sick of buns at the moment, and my braiding skills aren't very good.

Any fresh ideas of what to do, other than practice my braids? Which I am doing! It's just harder and harder as my hair gets longer and longer! :D

PoppyCakes
June 15th, 2012, 06:00 PM
nope.

I last visited the hairdresser mid-April, and she trimmed the back up to my hairline on my neck.

I think she only took about 1/2" off the tail, based on about 5 weeks of growth from a shave, and I grow at the average rate --1/2" per month. I started with the top around 2 or 3", and it got shorter as it went down my head. I had it shaved over my ears and on the back of my head. Not a great description, but I hope it helps you.

Thank you so much for the compliment. The henna makes it shiny. (and RED and soft and strong...)

That sounds like fast growth to me! I'm 8 weeks from shave tomorrow, and I don't have anything to trim even if I wanted to, haha. After looking at your hair, I have decided definitely to use henna. And I thought my hair was shiny :o

piffyanne
June 16th, 2012, 01:46 AM
One of my favorite go-to styles is the false crown braid (two english braids braided towards the direction I intend to wrap them around my head, pin pin pin pin pin pin [yes, I use 6 pins total), tuck in the ends, and go).

BUT, now my hair has gotten to EXACTLY the wrong length for that (and it's a very forgiving style: it's worked with me through all of my stages of growth since waist, and that's when I first TRIED the style, not when I first succeeded making it work.): the ends of my braids are not long enough to tuck under the opposite of my part, and not short enough to tuck under the near side. I can only pin them (badly) under the base of the braid, disguising it by bringing up hair from the nape of the neck. It feels uncomfortable, the pins slip and slide around, it doesn't hold as well, and I feel horribly self-conscious, even though I know no one but me probably notices. I can't WAIT for it to be 2 or 3 inches longer so I can tuck and go again.:rolleyes:

curlylocks85
August 4th, 2015, 04:28 PM
*BUMP*

I am at the awkward stage of being at almost APL. I am so close, and yet, so far away. I hope to be at APL by the end of the year. :)

curlylocks85
August 4th, 2015, 05:51 PM
*BUMP*

I am at the awkward stage of being at almost APL. I am so close, and yet, so far away. I hope to be at APL by the end of the year. :)

Vorvayne
August 5th, 2015, 05:01 AM
I'm so glad this thread has been resurrected!

I've been growing out a short cut with shaved sides for a year now, and it's been a huge huge pain. Having gravity-defying curly hair doesn't help either...the bits at the sides just above my ears *STILL* won't stay in even a ponytail so I'm just bobby pinning them back for now - though, they've started to stay in half ups and I think it'll only be maybe two or three months before ponytails stay too! Which will be a huge relief.

I can do a dutch braid but the side bits fall out again - so hopefully in a month or two after ponytailing length I can do that too. Aaaaaand I'll probably live in a dutch braid then until BSL because my hair is thick enough that it doesn't like to bun earlier than that. Although - last time I had blunt ends, and this time the last four inches are uneven lengths because I haven't cut it at all since the short cut. So perhaps that will help me do buns earlier. I do want a blunt cut eventually, but only 4 inches of layers isn't too bad. I'll probably just whack it off when I hit waist and have many bun options so I can afford to lose the length.

In the meantime - patience...

Neelie
August 5th, 2015, 09:19 AM
The only thing to do is to suspend all vanity, avoid mirrors like the plague, and ignore the fact that you even have hair! One day you'll find you've got half-way long hair. That's how it works for me, anyway

Took the words out of my mouth!!

missrandie
August 5th, 2015, 09:20 AM
I'm in the awkward stage of "kind of bob, kind of shag" as my hair approaches my shoulders. I certainly have a couple inches to go before shoulder, and my bangs are now long enougg to rest on my upper chin. I dont want to cut and style my hair into a true bob, because I don't like the lines for my head.. And it would take away length. I want to keep it at this point!

browneyedsusan
August 5th, 2015, 06:27 PM
I scrolled back a little and there I was! It wasn't that long ago, either!

Just saying it out loud:
IMHO: There is nothing as awkward as a growing out pixie.

APL and the mid-back abyss are easy-peasy compared to getting a pixie to grow over your ears.

That is all.
;)

lostchyld
August 6th, 2015, 09:27 AM
Mine's really only in the awkward stage because I found a bunch of hairtoys from when it was long and now I'm habitually reaching for a hairtoy to put my hair up and it's not actually long enough to put up yet. Because of the layers, even the chin length side isn't long enough to braid, so all my beautiful hairtoys are sitting around unused while my brain tries to tell me I have hair.

ETA: It's also at an awkward stage for henna. The hair sticks out everywhere and turns my ears red.

QMacrocarpa
August 7th, 2015, 07:49 AM
I've discovered that awkward stages are possible at any length, sigh. I'm approaching three years into recovering from a big shed, so now my braid is mediumish in size to about APL, and then very quickly tapers to a tiny wisp which reaches my waist. I could cut the wisp off, but it would be a large fraction of my length, so I don't want to, but I'm simultaneously not very satisfied with it. Another three years or so should do it...

Zugar
August 10th, 2015, 08:31 AM
Iīm at an awkward stage too, with my nape undercut growing out. Shaved off half my hair in an attempt to deal with the itchies, only to find it meant nothing - the itch was there to stay *sigh* The new hair growth is about one-two cm long, and for some reason, the hairs on the right side of my head, neatly sticks with the center hairs, but the left side - ugh - those hairs just wants to see how long they can reach down towards my shoulder. Was this understandable? Seems all my nape hairs want to go left. Would be so super easy to hide, too, if it wasnīt for the fact that I always keep my hair up.

Though having growed out a pixie some years ago, I understand what you guys are talking about. Going through that jaw clips were my best friends. Put it up into a complete mess, and when the "mullet-tail" showed up, I included it in my īdo, with jaw clips at different sizes, and also hair ties as well. I just completely embraced the chaos in my hair.

But now Iīm dealing with the undercut that I have actually NO idea what to do with when it grows another cm or so. At that point I guess it will just look to stupid to put the rest of the hair up, and leaving this part down. Been googling and googling for ideas, but nothing.

VeggiePixie
August 11th, 2015, 05:54 PM
I scrolled back a little and there I was! It wasn't that long ago, either!

Just saying it out loud:
IMHO: There is nothing as awkward as a growing out pixie.

APL and the mid-back abyss are easy-peasy compared to getting a pixie to grow over your ears.

That is all.
;)

I'm there right now! I have been wearing a pixie for almost 4 years and every time it would go into mullet territory I would give in and cut it short. I am determined not to do it this time. After seeing your great progress, I know it can be done. Right now my bangs are getting in my eyes and the sides poke up over my ears. I also have a lovely cowlick on the left side of my head, which poofs out rather than laying flat. (something I never noticed when my hair was at MBL)

I have been pinning my bangs up with bobby pins kind of pompadour style, and taming the rest down with gel. It doesn't help that my hair is very straight, very fine, and the last time I had it cut, the lady butchered it with thinning shears... 'for texture'

If I can manage to get it into a bob, it will the the happiest day ever. So, ladies and gents, do I trim the mullet from hell, or let it go? ;)

Bat
March 5th, 2023, 11:25 PM
I'm not at this stage yet but in time I will!

Let's band together and get through this soul crushing stage in our hair growing journey, you aren't alone, let's do this!

WednesdayAddams
March 5th, 2023, 11:47 PM
I'm at an awkward stage. It's not technically short, it's definitely not long and my hair literally grows at a snail's pace. Like a quarter inch a month.

pumpkinsage
March 6th, 2023, 12:32 AM
I am joining you in this. I have been in the awkward stage for the past year since buzzing and not cutting my mullet. I may be in the awkward stage until my bangs grow past my chin.. so possibly for another year.

lapushka
March 6th, 2023, 12:34 AM
This seemed to ring familiar to me. I think it was a little revisited for me from a thread in 2012.
Downside to being here so long. :lol:

Anyway the answers are still relevant!
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=89840

ETA/ Upon further looking about, there's I think even a picture thread!
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131956

Bat
March 6th, 2023, 03:27 PM
Oh there was one already xD

Bat
March 6th, 2023, 03:30 PM
I am joining you in this. I have been in the awkward stage for the past year since buzzing and not cutting my mullet. I may be in the awkward stage until my bangs grow past my chin.. so possibly for another year.
I'll be here a while too

lapushka
March 6th, 2023, 03:39 PM
Oh there was one already xD

Oh, it looks like they got merged. I only linked it cause it contained a couple useful other posts, but hey ho, there you go, now it's all in one location I guess. :D

Awkward stages, man, don't get me started. I'm 50, I've had sooo many. It's hard to remember. :spitting:

paulownia
March 7th, 2023, 04:18 AM
The most awkward stage for me was past shoulder to APL. Then it got easier :D
Now I'm approaching BSL and it doesn't feel awkward at all. My hair behaves most of the time.

LongLocke
March 7th, 2023, 03:18 PM
One of my favorite youtubers was growing his hair during covid and he did a mini-rant in a video about how nobody informed him there were multiple awkward stages. That was true for me: i had many MANY awkward stages, so the thing i kept seeing on mannered manes and the longhairs about how it’s over when you can tie your hair back. No. No it was not. Not for me. Lol

Bat
March 7th, 2023, 06:06 PM
Oh, it looks like they got merged. I only linked it cause it contained a couple useful other posts, but hey ho, there you go, now it's all in one location I guess. :D

Awkward stages, man, don't get me started. I'm 50, I've had sooo many. It's hard to remember. :spitting:

I don't mind merge magic it keeps it all in one place instead of 35533 other topics