PDA

View Full Version : Need advice regarding a lot of things. (bleach, extensions, bangs)

sfgirl
March 8th, 2012, 05:05 PM
So I've recently decided to keep bleaching my hair, but I'm going to use the coconut oil method before hand. My hair feels in such amazing condition after only two months. I'm pretty sure what did me in was the heat styling, teasing, hairspray, and double processing my length with a 40 vol developer toner every 2 months.
I decided my toner is going to be a non damaging vegetable dye.

So I have two more issues.
1. I love having bangs. I'm really into Japanese fashions, and bangs are really big there. However, I'm afraid the will detract from my thickness. I just measured my pony tail, and not including the bangs that are still growing out, my measurement of it was somewhere between 2 5/8 and three inches. I've always hated how thin my hair is, at least it seems that way to be. So do you guys think getting bangs would make my hair too thin as it gets longer?

2. I really would love clip in extensions. My goal is to wear my hair up AT least three times a week (once I have money for some bun pins, and hair sticks and forks, which should be soon), but I hate when I wear my hair down, it feels so short and boring. If I use non heat curls my hair shrivels up to about SL, which I just can't stand. I know clip ins are the least damaging of extensions, but I'm concerned about hair breakage, where I clip them in. I've had them before, and I didn't notice too much, but I wasn't as hair OCD before. Do you think wearing clip in extensions 2-3 times a week would damage my hair and cause shedding?

Do you think bangs and clip ins would be too much for my hair? My hair is very very fine. Even when the darker roots of my hair shed, They're still almost impossiblele to see. So what do you guys think? THANK YOU EVERYONE. I did check the other threads about these things, but I felt most of it did not relate to me personally.

einna
March 8th, 2012, 05:36 PM
I don't think your hair is to thin for bangs, but it depends on how thick you want your bangs to.
Also, I think you should to one thing at a time, and take it slow.
I dont know much about bleaching, but I think extentions in superfine bleached hair will give some damage. It all depends on how much damage you are willing to do, and how long you want to grow your hair. Some people can to very much to their hair, others like me, really have to chose between health and processing/heat styling.

sfgirl
March 8th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Maybe for the bangs I could just get the little clip in bangs, and than I could have thick bangs without thinning my hair out.
Thank you for the advice. I will try to take things one thing at a time.Maybe if I ONLY wore the clip ins when I was out on the weekends, and every other day had my hair in a protective style I'd be fine? thank you for your input. Besides the bleaching, I've been trying my hardest to treat hair like antique lace. :)

sfgirl
March 8th, 2012, 07:18 PM
*bump*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! need opinions

serin blackwood
March 8th, 2012, 09:25 PM
*bump*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! need opinions

Ok, I have worn long extensions for performing in theatrical music shows since 2004. These are human hair clips that I wear all around my head to bring my length down to waist (they are, pathetically, the hair of my dreams, lol), so a total of 13 1" wide clips.

And this I can tell you ... they look great, but after two hours they are extremely uncomfortable, and after the evening is over, after having them in maybe 4 hours or so, I am desparate to get them the hell out!!!
Now granted, mine are long and exert a lot of weight pulling on my hair. I wouldn't think a few short ones on bangs would be as uncomfortable, but it's something you may have to consider.

Five of Five
March 8th, 2012, 09:46 PM
It sounds like you are enjoying your hair, and that is great!

I have very, very thick bangs and they only take up about 0.3 of an inch in ponytail circumference. You have quite thick hair anyway so if you do decide to get them, I don't think it would be a significant drop in thickness for you. At any rate, if you love bangs, they probably will do more for your overall look than that much extra thickness, especially if you're going to be wearing your hair up more often.

I don't know how resilient your hair is, but I am a F like you. It is my belief that all else being equal, we cannot get away with quite as much as people with M or C type hair, if we want to grow it long. For example, I have tried clip in extensions, and while they did not cause any immediate breakage, I could feel some sort of stress on my strands while using them. Since it is right at the root, I decided it wasn't worth the risk. I wear my hair up religiously now and it has improved my hair like nothing else. I rely upon new updos and pretty hair toys such as Flexis to update my look.

Of course, you know better than anyone what your hair can manage :). Along the way, you may (or may not) have to choose which of those things are the biggest priority for you - colour, goal length, enjoying wearing it down, etc. All of that is part of the fun of having long hair.

Tisiloves
March 8th, 2012, 10:18 PM
My problem with clip ins is getting them out again, be very careful, your hair will probably try to eat the clip.

Arya
March 8th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Why not get really thick clip in bangs? And if you want long hair, but you're worried about the extensions, why not get different types? I'd recommend a topper to switch out with your extensions. A topper looks like a mini wig. You can get toppers with bangs, or toppers that sit on the back half of your head and are really long. You can see that's what Anne Hathaway is wearing in Ella Enchanted, and basically every time you see Christina Hendricks, she's wearing a topper, because her natural hair is so thin. Switching up extensions for toppers will give your natural hair a break, so tension isn't always in the same spot (roots near the back of your head).

If you want bangs cut into your hair, it can look cute too. I don't have excessively thick or thin hair, but I cut really deep bangs in, and I love them. They're sort of a wedge shape, from a point pretty far back on my head, extending outwards to my temples. I have lots of pics, if you're interested.

sfgirl
March 8th, 2012, 10:27 PM
serin blackwoodI wore extensions too a few years ago. They were really long, and I use to tease my hair to put them in(!!!! stupid teen alert!). I didn't think they were too uncomfortable though.
Five of Five I found your advice very helpful. I still always think of my hair as thin for some reason, probably because I've always had layers and breakage from just RAKING my hair with brushes. This is my first time having (mostly) one length hair since I was 15. I think I will pass on wearing the clip in extensions for the most part. I might get them for when I go to clubs or concerts, but besides that I'll probably be wearing my hair up.
Tisiloves, yeah that was my concern.

Thank you all so much! I'll be getting a bit of extra money in a month or so, and I'll probably get the clip ins for special occasions and a few cute hair sticks for the rest of the week. :)

sfgirl
March 8th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Why not get really thick clip in bangs? And if you want long hair, but you're worried about the extensions, why not get different types? I'd recommend a topper to switch out with your extensions. A topper looks like a mini wig. You can get toppers with bangs, or toppers that sit on the back half of your head and are really long. You can see that's what Anne Hathaway is wearing in Ella Enchanted, and basically every time you see Christina Hendricks, she's wearing a topper, because her natural hair is so thin. Switching up extensions for toppers will give your natural hair a break, so tension isn't always in the same spot (roots near the back of your head).

If you want bangs cut into your hair, it can look cute too. I don't have excessively thick or thin hair, but I cut really deep bangs in, and I love them. They're sort of a wedge shape, from a point pretty far back on my head, extending outwards to my temples. I have lots of pics, if you're interested.

Oh wow I've never even heard of those! I'm going to look into that. Thank you!
I think I'm also going to look into ponytail falls because you wear your hair in a bun underneath, so I think they're pretty non damaging. :)

Arya
March 8th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Oh wow I've never even heard of those! I'm going to look into that. Thank you!
I think I'm also going to look into ponytail falls because you wear your hair in a bun underneath, so I think they're pretty non damaging. :)

If you're crafty, you can do lots of fancy things they charge you an arm and a leg for with just the cheap weave extensions they sell. I bought a pack of hair and use them all sorts of ways.

I took a 4 inch section, folded it over and over, tied it with a clear hair tie, did a 5 strand braid, secured the end, and I pin them in like a hair band. It looks awesome, adds volume and saves me from having to redo a time consuming 5 strand braid every time I want one in my hair.
I tuck 4 inch sections into my ponytails for added length and volume.
I do a regular cinnabun, and take a ratty old set of extensions, tease it more, wrap it around my own cinnabun and pin to get that 'bird's nest' bun that was popular the last few years.
I take ratty old ones and tuck em under my own hair to add volume to a bump instead of backcombing.

I've seen tutorials for making your own bangs, but I haven't tried that one out yet mainly since i have my own.

Anyway, point is, all sorts of fun stuff you can do with extensions. I'm a bit surprised they're not more popular around here.

sfgirl
March 8th, 2012, 10:47 PM
If you're crafty, you can do lots of fancy things they charge you an arm and a leg for with just the cheap weave extensions they sell. I bought a pack of hair and use them all sorts of ways.

I took a 4 inch section, folded it over and over, tied it with a clear hair tie, did a 5 strand braid, secured the end, and I pin them in like a hair band. It looks awesome, adds volume and saves me from having to redo a time consuming 5 strand braid every time I want one in my hair.
I tuck 4 inch sections into my ponytails for added length and volume.
I do a regular cinnabun, and take a ratty old set of extensions, tease it more, wrap it around my own cinnabun and pin to get that 'bird's nest' bun that was popular the last few years.
I take ratty old ones and tuck em under my own hair to add volume to a bump instead of backcombing.

I've seen tutorials for making your own bangs, but I haven't tried that one out yet mainly since i have my own.

Anyway, point is, all sorts of fun stuff you can do with extensions. I'm a bit surprised they're not more popular around here.

All the other threads I read on here just talked about how they were "cheating" or why not spend the money on nice products? One person even said it was ok if you got an extension that was your own length, but just to use as a highlight, but using them for length wasn't. o.o

I'm probably going to use ALL of your ideas haha. ESpecially since at APL, my buns are not very impressively big... just more of pathetic. (Which is why I never used to wear buns haha).

Beckstar
March 8th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Do what you like. There's no right or wrong way with hair. There's only each personal preference. You can get fake hair and cut a section as wide and as long as you want your bangs. You secure them in with bobby pins. You can wear a headband to cover this up or pull a little bit of your own hair over to the side. Or take a section of the hair above your ears and made a braid and cross that over to the other side of your...a braided headband and covered up bobbypins.

Arya
March 8th, 2012, 11:50 PM
All the other threads I read on here just talked about how they were "cheating" or why not spend the money on nice products? One person even said it was ok if you got an extension that was your own length, but just to use as a highlight, but using them for length wasn't. o.o

I'm probably going to use ALL of your ideas haha. ESpecially since at APL, my buns are not very impressively big... just more of pathetic. (Which is why I never used to wear buns haha).

I think that's because when you *notice* that they're extensions, it's usually because they're crusty tangly old cheap ones that don't match your real hair. Also, tbh, the type of girls I notice with extensions are the kind with really short damaged hair straightened to death, dying for some moisture, with a row of matted extensions 30 inches long tacked underneath (and usually wearing pancake makeup). But you know what? Most of those girls think they look *awesome* and think that girls with hip length healthy hair in a flexi-8 aren't very fashionable. I fall somewhere between the two camps.

Some people here think that a V hemline, layers, or bangs are awful sins against hair. I can see where they're coming from, but they have a different ideal then I do. The time I was *least* happy with my hair was when I had hip length blunt cut-all one length hair.
I do what makes me happy.

My hair is fairly healthy, shiny, and between waist and hip length. Ideally, it would be pin straight, or wavy, and much thicker and have a blinding gloss to it. I dislike my wishy-washy texture 1b/c texture. I'll never have my absolute dream hair naturally. Same with many people, even on this site. Hell, half this site is dedicated to tricksy ways to have your dream hair, like damp bunning or sock curls. Are bun curls or caruso rollers cheating? How about monistat or henna? Wanting longer hair and *not* using extensions seems crazy to me, like wishing you had red hair when dye and henna exists. Extensions done right look great, and there are ways to mitigate the damage clip-ins do. I don't think there's anything w I could care less what other people think of my hair routines, or what they think of my hair, and I think you should too. Figure out your hair goals, and go for them without worrying what people will say. Everyone has an opinion, but it's your head.

I'm so ranty recently! Anyway, my other suggestion would be to get a tangle teezer along with extensions. They work crazy well on extensions, like nothing else I've ever seen.

Chetanlaiho
March 9th, 2012, 01:21 AM
I have the exact same issue as you for the first part (no really, I'm also into Japanese fashion xD). I had a hime cut but it went a bit overboard and I lost waaaay too much thickness so I'm in the process of growing that out. My bangs are about chinlength right now but I think I will cut those back to eyebrow length since I miss them so much :O just thinner and with way thinner sidepieces.

It may take away a bit from your thinness but it will help you to stop obsessing with the length of your hair and give you a bit of room to play (with bangs you don't have to worry about damage in that part so heat style and colour away xD)

Plus personally my thinning is making me feel horrible so I'm hoping some cute bangs will help cheer me up ;)

Littlewing13
March 9th, 2012, 01:47 AM
I have clip in extensions that I got off ebay. I only wear them for special events. Once a week to go out clubbing wouldn't hurt. Wearing them everyday would pull too much I think. Especially with bleach weakened hair. Always make sure when you remove them that you snap the clips, then pull up & out gently.

Definitely do the deposit only toner or silver conditioner. Make 100% sure there is no peroxide. Never bleach your hair to white, thats when it is very fragile & will most likely snap. pale yellow is always the goal. To get it white: toners job.

Highly suggest CO if you havent tried it. Also if you fid your hair snapping then try kerastase ciment anti-usure. expensive but so worth it. When I used to bleach my hair it was the only thing that held it together!

sfgirl
March 9th, 2012, 02:24 AM
Beckstar good ideas! thank you!
Arya Yeah I see those girls a lot. A lot of girls dont realize you need to treat your extensions really really good so they don't get ratty. I just hate having this weird in between length that's just so... medium. I also kind of fall between the two camps in that respect. I'll never completely stop doing damaging this to my hair, but I hate heat styling anyways, so I'm not super super damaging. LOL
I do like clip ins for when I'm going out, But not for every day because I find it's easier to put my hair up on school days. So if I can reduce the damage that's great. When I buy them I'll get a tangle teaser too! I never even thought of that! Besides if I get clip ins I can heat style the ends. (I never really heat style ANYTHING near my face because I end up looking creepy young)
Chetanlaiho Ooh I've ALWAYS wanted to get the hime cut but I was afraid my hair would look too thin. Curse those Japanese girls with super thick hair. I was reading on this Asian beauty blog, this girl with TBL bleached (and dyed pink) hair, who was asian so her natural color was dark, and she heat styled every day, ended up cutting her hair to around BSL because her hair was too heavy. What I would give...
Littlewing13 Thank you for your advice too. The toners I used before were pretty harsh. I don't CO wash, but I CWC with a CV shampoo bar, and than use an ACV rinse. I'll look into that product. :) Thank you