PDA

View Full Version : Wiccan Hair Care

jennescence
March 8th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Just thought i would share these with you all:
http://www.unc.edu/~reddeer/frugalwitch/bath&body/hair_care.html

http://hairontheavenue.ca/blog/archives/258

I personally believe that our hair is the greatest thing we can offer to the goddess. I believe our hair is the most beautiful of crowns she has given to us. Just my personal thoughts.

Pecheresse
March 8th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Ever thought of including a micro trim while Drawing Down the Moon ;) B*B

ravenheather
March 8th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Beautiful thoughts. I agree completely. Thanks for the links.

jennescence
March 8th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Ever thought of including a micro trim while Drawing Down the Moon
That is a very good idea:) You gave me inspiration for a new thread.

Amber_Maiden
March 8th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Awesome links!!!

Woods Nymph
March 8th, 2012, 03:00 PM
These links are great! Thanks for sharing, jennesence!

jennescence
March 8th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Awesome links!!!
Thank you:)

Roscata
March 8th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Very cool. :D

jennescence
March 8th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Your welcome and thank you so much for reading!

jennescence
March 8th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Your welcome and thank you so much for reading!

Kinkycurlygurl
March 8th, 2012, 03:35 PM
What do you think of the recent interest in covering the hair among pagan/Wiccan women? I think it's an interesting development, but I'm not sure where it's coming from.

I personally believe that our hair is the greatest thing we can offer to the goddess. I believe our hair is the most beautiful of crowns she has given to us. Just my personal thoughts.

sibiryachka
March 8th, 2012, 03:56 PM
What do you think of the recent interest in covering the hair among pagan/Wiccan women? I think it's an interesting development, but I'm not sure where it's coming from.

Have you come across this thread yet?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=46378

11 pages on that very topic!

As for this thread in general, it's reminding me of a boy who long ago told me "Yeah, you have Pagan hair" :p
I didn't bother to find out exactly what he meant by that, just took it as a compliment...

Lissandria
March 8th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I had been wondering why my hair hasn't grown it's usual half inch this month.. but it has been looking SO much thicker! I remember that my last trim was early feb when the full moon was in Leo. Trimming while the full moon is in Leo is supposed to increase thickness- It really does work IMO. Thanks for sharing the links, great read! :)

bedazzlecat
March 8th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Here's one!

http://www.newmoon.uk.com/spells/8.htm

bedazzlecat
March 8th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Spell To Make Hair Grow (http://youtu.be/m9dyAWrk6Ts)

MoonlightShadow
March 8th, 2012, 05:07 PM
i guess i should be careful when i trim now...

Kinkycurlygurl
March 8th, 2012, 09:24 PM
@sibiryachka Thanks for the link-- off to read

Have you come across this thread yet?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=46378

11 pages on that very topic!

As for this thread in general, it's reminding me of a boy who long ago told me "Yeah, you have Pagan hair" :p
I didn't bother to find out exactly what he meant by that, just took it as a compliment...

sfgirl
March 8th, 2012, 10:53 PM
I am LOVING this thread

Venefica
March 9th, 2012, 02:13 AM
Thank you for the links, I look forward to checking them out.

Personally I include rituals as part of my hair care routine. I among other things do this spell quite often.

http://www.everythingunderthemoon.net/spells/spell-to-grow-hair.htm

MonaLisa
March 9th, 2012, 02:27 AM
Thank you so much for this! :)

Venefica
March 9th, 2012, 02:41 AM
What element do you folks associate with hair? To me it is fire. But that might be because of this song my circle sister used to chant when we made ready for ritual. It is in Norwegian but translated it reads:

The Earth is my body,
The Water is my blood,
The Fire is my hair,
and the Air is my breath.

Kinkycurlygurl
March 9th, 2012, 10:24 AM
I never saw hair as tied to any one element. It always seemed to be part of the energy field of the body. Almost like a physical manifestation of body energy. That seems to by why the traditions I learned put emphasis on the state of the hair in terms of wearing it bound or unbound for rituals and disposing of it properly so that it can't be "used" against you.

sibiryachka
March 9th, 2012, 10:46 AM
I never saw hair as tied to any one element. It always seemed to be part of the energy field of the body. Almost like a physical manifestation of body energy. That seems to by why the traditions I learned put emphasis on the state of the hair in terms of wearing it bound or unbound for rituals and disposing of it properly so that it can't be "used" against you.

I never thought to link hair to an element either, but thinking of it as an energy field, it makes a sort of sense... If energy is a sort of electricity, fire seems like the right element for that... Hmmm.

In any case, that song is a keeper!

proo
March 9th, 2012, 11:51 AM
I was just reading about the hair traditions in Sikhism.
There's a wooden comb called a kangha symbolizing moral and spiritual control and cleanliness.
Sikhs wear the comb in their hair and use it twice daily.
All Sikh men wear their hair long as they believe that be keeping hair in its natural state they live in harmony with God.
Interesting; I love hair rituals.

AlabasterAlice
March 9th, 2012, 03:17 PM

I would feel quite strange covering my hair. Heck, it feels bizarre enough when I wear it up for a while. I love feeling my hair around me. It is my cape! Of course the more I leave it down the more damaged and tangled it gets, so I'm trying to keep it up more even if it isn't quite what I prefer.

I do respect those who feel inclined to do so. My whole beliefs center around following what pulls me. I think covering your head to "protect the energy" makes a lot of sense, I simply don't feel any pull towards doing so myself.

jennescence
March 9th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Here's one!

http://www.newmoon.uk.com/spells/8.htm

That is so very beautiful, thank you so much for sharing:)

jennescence
March 9th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Thank you for the links, I look forward to checking them out.

Personally I include rituals as part of my hair care routine. I among other things do this spell quite often.

http://www.everythingunderthemoon.ne...-grow-hair.htm

This spell is from that movie The Tenth Kingdom

jennescence
March 9th, 2012, 03:36 PM
What element do you folks associate with hair? To me it is fire. But that might be because of this song my circle sister used to chant when we made ready for ritual. It is in Norwegian but translated it reads:

The Earth is my body,
The Water is my blood,
The Fire is my hair,
and the Air is my breath.

I personally associate it with water, the moon pulls the tides and your hair grows more with water.

Firefly
March 9th, 2012, 04:19 PM
I usually associate my hair with spirit (the "fifth" element) because it so often reflects how I'm feeling physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

AnqeIicDemise
March 9th, 2012, 04:40 PM
I usually associate my hair with spirit (the "fifth" element) because it so often reflects how I'm feeling physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

It could be simply a personification of whichever element you are closest to. I have a strong affinity with fire and so to me, associating my hair to the same element makes sense. I have nicely polished hair so I can see it 'gleaming in the dark' like the embers of a fire. It can frazzle when I'm irritated and just be soothing when calm.

I don't know if that makes sense. I'm a little out of it right now.

Firefly
March 9th, 2012, 04:54 PM
It could be simply a personification of whichever element you are closest to. I have a strong affinity with fire and so to me, associating my hair to the same element makes sense. I have nicely polished hair so I can see it 'gleaming in the dark' like the embers of a fire. It can frazzle when I'm irritated and just be soothing when calm.

I don't know if that makes sense. I'm a little out of it right now.

Oh definitely! I agree, and hope I didn't imply it should feel that way for everyone. It's just how I associate it for myself. :)

Maelyssa
March 9th, 2012, 08:22 PM
The link to the article is my favorite!

Venefica
March 10th, 2012, 01:24 AM

In most traditions I have experience with nail clippings, dead skin or anything else that was once a part of your body can be used against you just was much as hair can. It works on the idea that since it was once part of your body it carry so much of your energy that it can be used to target you, and sometimes on the idea that since it was part of your body once it is still part of your body magically so that what effect it, affects your body as a whole, basic sympathetic magick.

To me I think that energy flow better if my hair is down during rituals, but if candles are involved or allot of moving about then there is no way I am going to wear it loose. When using candles for a ritual I like to have my hair in a secure bun or at least in a braid, it would just to be practical to have it flowing about light candle flames.

This spell is from that movie The Tenth Kingdom

Yes, I use rituals found in fiction all the time. I feel that fiction is often a very powerful occult tool as when people have watched a movie or read a book, and many people have done that, then that fictional element get allot of power, and the more people think about, talk about and get involved with the piece of fiction the more energy it gets. Fiction moves people and as such is great for magick. I also use my old action figures for protection magick for example.

I do however think that what element one associate hair with will vary from person to person and that there is no right or wrong way, one have to go with what feel right for the individual person.

jel
March 10th, 2012, 04:02 AM
I do however think that what element one associate hair with will vary from person to person and that there is no right or wrong way, one have to go with what feel right for the individual person.

I have to agree; for me, my hair is associated with the element of earth. It's the topmost expression of my grounding. I find it very interesting to see how others think of their hair!

MasCat
March 10th, 2012, 05:59 AM
In ritual work I like to wear my hair loose, but if I walk to a ritual space I keep them tied with a red string, so nothing "catches" in them :) If I perform rites in windy weather or have contact with open fire I like to have my hair in a simple braid down my back.

I like hair magic. It is both for meditation (as you brush or untangle) and as a variation of knot magic - short term charms involving "braiding" something as in protection or a glamour into your hair :)

Venefica
March 10th, 2012, 10:50 PM
I love hair magick to, after all the body uses allot of energy, chi, prana or whatever you want to call it to create the hair so it become a powerful tool. Hair knot magic is very interesting, so is magick done with hair bushing as a focus.

loveandwaves
March 10th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Thank you very much for the link! I loved it.

Arakazi
March 11th, 2012, 12:08 AM
Interesting reads! Thanks for the links. I really liked the lunar hair care descriptions and will try to do my cuts and colours during those times and I ill definitely give this version on the beer rinse a go!

Arakazi
March 11th, 2012, 12:39 AM
I am also getting quite intrigued with wiccan and other such things at the moment. I have always felt a connection with it but never really known how to explore it. The links everyone has provided have been great! :)

Mi-chan666
March 11th, 2012, 01:13 AM
thanks for the links :)

Venefica
March 11th, 2012, 03:23 AM
Arakazi I recommend the book Wicca a Guide to the Solitary Practitioner to beginners by Scott Cunningham. It is a great beginner book if you are curious about Wicca. It is the book I started with when I got into the Wiccan religion. I am more eclectic now though but I was Wiccan for a while and I still love and use this book 15 years after I first got it.

jacqueline101
March 11th, 2012, 07:41 AM
I thought it was interesting.

jacqueline101
March 11th, 2012, 07:42 AM

jacqueline101
March 11th, 2012, 07:43 AM

Arakazi
March 12th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Thank you for the advise Venefica! I am searching for the book online right now. If I can get a second hand version of it that would be even better! fingers crossed :) I hope this thread stays alive as I have subscribed to it :heartbeat

jennescence
March 15th, 2012, 02:09 PM
I usually associate my hair with spirit (the "fifth" element) because it so often reflects how I'm feeling physically, emotionally, and spiritually
That is very beautiful! My mother associates it with earth. I don't know why but go figure lol.

heidi w.
March 15th, 2012, 02:12 PM

Really, Hair is the best one can offer the goddess? Not helping other people, not caring for other people? Not working to make the world a better place, somehow?

I'm surprised to hear this.

hmmmm.

heidi w.

jennescence
March 15th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Really, Hair is the best one can offer the goddess? Not helping other people, not caring for other people? Not working to make the world a better place, somehow?

hmmmm.

You know, this is not the first time you have commented negatively on one of my threads. I do not personally know you so maybe you are a negative person in real life. I do not like having my words twisted. If you have a problem with me than i would love to talk about it. I simply meant i think it is one of the best things we can give her. I care for other people. I help other people. I try and make the world a better place. So please stop criticizing me.

healormor
March 15th, 2012, 02:45 PM

hmmmm.

heidi w.

Well, some of the usual offerings that I know of are bits of food or drink, some pretty bit of rock or feather you found, that sort of thing. Offering your hair (your trimmings perhaps?) seems not too far off from the usual thing. I think of offerings as giving back a little of whatever nature has given you. Food, beautiful things, and hair all make sense to me.

But being a good person isn't something you do as an offering.
It's something you do for your own sense of integrity and self worth. Because it feels good.

Lighten up a little :)

jennescence
March 15th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Well, some of the usual offerings that I know of are bits of food or drink, some pretty bit of rock or feather you found, that sort of thing. Offering your hair (your trimmings perhaps?) seems not too far off from the usual thing. I think of offerings as giving back a little of whatever nature has given you. Food, beautiful things, and hair all make sense to me.

But being a good person isn't something you do as an offering.
It's something you do for your own sense of integrity and self worth. Because it feels good.

Lighten up a little
Thank you, im not very good with words but this is what i meant when i said that. Thank you :)

Java
March 15th, 2012, 02:57 PM
I think the articles are interesting, however I agree that offerings of hair considered equal or greater is a reach. I get what you meant, that it is a nice thought, however, the wording is easily taken literal.

jennescence
March 15th, 2012, 03:00 PM
I think the articles are interesting, however I agree that offerings of hair considered equal or greater is a reach. I get what you meant, that it is a nice thought, however, the wording is easily taken literal.
Unfortunately i learned this the hard way.