PDA

View Full Version : All-natural, non-coating wash?

Naiadryade
March 8th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Hi Folks!

After a long period of water-only washing and mostly neglecting my hair except for the occasional herbal ACV rinse, I finally cut off my damaged ends and LHC is helping me learn to care for my hair well.

I've started using catnip to prevent split ends in the future, and I know I need to figure out a way to wash all coatings off my hair. I'm very dedicated to staying far away from synthetic chemicals, but Ktani keeps telling me the way for catnip to be most effective is to wash with normal shampoo first.

Can you help me figure out what I can wash my hair with that meets all my needs? They are...

- All natural. No synthetics.
- All plant or mineral ingredients. No animal products of any kind, and not tested on animals.
- Biodegradable.
- Not toxic to me or to the environment.
- Removes build-up of sebum, oils and teas
- Does not leave a coating on the hair
- Not overly harsh or drying

~ It would be nice if it is as simple as possible and DIY, but I am open to buying a product if it meets the above needs.

What if I just made a tea of, say, lavender and thyme, and added a splash of ACV? I've also been eyeing my housemate's baby shampoo/body wash by California Baby, but I'm afraid it might leave a coating as it's mostly aloe and oils...

Any ideas? Thanks!!

Siiri
March 8th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Have you looked into washing with clay? I would imagine clay doesn't leave a coating, but I'm not an expert. My first thought was soapnuts, but it may have some coating ingredients...Just trying to give you some ideas.

Here's a recent thread about clay washing: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=69828

And there is an article about soapnuts: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=95

Accalia
March 8th, 2012, 02:18 PM
I was thinking of Kesham shampoo powder. I couldn't find a thread about it... However I find it very mild on my thin 1a hair. It's an ayurvedic shampoo with herbals.
I did use clay but It was drying out my hair and scalp. Even mixed with a spoon coconut oil.
I would like to know what you're going to use and if that works for you! :)

ratgirldjh
March 8th, 2012, 02:25 PM
One of the most gentle washes I have used for my hair occasionally is 1 - 3 drops of Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds (SLS based) and then shaken and poured over wet hair.

This is enough to clean my hair very well but not dry it out.

I sometimes use this before I use catnip soaks.

Also of course a very dilute baking soda wash - I use 1/4 - 1/3 a teaspoon shaken well in a quart of warm water and pour over wet hair. Then 1 teaspoon ACV in a quart of warm water poured over hair then rinse well.

After this the catnip or aloe vera that I am using works well.

I have also used catnip as a wash but occasionally I still needed to do one of the above.

MissDixie
March 8th, 2012, 03:02 PM
I've been using Meera herbal hair wash powder. The ingredients listed on the container are natural. I also make my own version using some different herbs not in the Meera brand. For about a month now that's all I've been using. I still need to tweak my own mixture but I'm happy with it. It takes away my sebum build up pretty well for me. It does not coat my hair and doesn't dry it out. Only thing it takes a few washes to get an oil treatment out and the meera brand smells like season salt to me lol.

serin blackwood
March 8th, 2012, 06:27 PM
I have used various combinations of eggs, apples, aloe, honey, coconut milk, acv, lemon juice and baking soda

I've tweeked my recipe and find it very cleansing, in fact after 7 weeks of no water, this cleaned my greasy hair perfectly. I got rid of all the "coating" items and am just using one egg yolk, a heaping tbls. of applesauce (just homeade cooked, unsweetened apples), one scant tsp baking soda, blended very well. I follow with a mild acv rinse.

Supposedly the maltic acid in the apples is a mild cleanser and I find adding it to the egg boosts the whole mixture, while at the same time softening the harshness of the baking soda. If you want to avoid the eggs, try applesauce and baking soda alone. Apples are quite acid, so you might get a good balance and not even need an acv rinse...

This weekend I am going to try adding mineral oil to a final water rinse after the acv to see if I can use it as my only conditioner.

Long_hair_bear
March 8th, 2012, 06:32 PM
http://www.etsy.com/listing/49118797/blue-lilac-shampoo-olive-oil-coconut-oil

rock007junkie
March 8th, 2012, 06:42 PM
I would reccommend you look into Terressentials. It sounds like exactly what you are looking for.

Maktub
March 8th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Shikakai is what works best for me ! (it's a plant)

I LOVE what it does to my hair (soooft and clean !), and it doesn't coat. When I have a heavy oiling, sometimes I need to wash 2 times though, because it's very gentle. I always oil a little before using shikakai, so I've never had dry hair from it.

It's very easy and DIY too, but you might not find good quality shikakai easily where you live... I buy mine here (and recommend Henna Sooq warmly) : http://www.hennasooq.com/shikakai/

Naiadryade
March 13th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Thank you all for your advice! It's good to know I have options. Maybe someday I'll try all of them. I'm starting with what I have, though: clay. If that works I'll probably stick with it for a while... maybe add in some of the things that are in the Terresentials shampoo, which is apparently clay-based.

So last night I washed my hair with Bentonite clay. I mixed a tablespoon of the dry powder with enough water to make it a squishy, creamy consistency that reminded me of store-bought conditioners. In the shower, I wet my hair and then smoothed the clay over the top, massaged it in very gently and smoothed it down the lengths. (There wasn't quite enough for my APL ii/iii hair, I think next time I will make 1-1/2 tbsp.) I let it sit for a minute or two and then rinsed it out. Then I applied room-temperature catnip tea that had steeped for about 4 hours, got out of the shower, and wrapped my head in plastic and then a towel.

Well, I made the mistake (blessing?) of sitting in bed during the catnip treatment, because I fell asleep. I woke up briefly after it had been bagged for about 3 hours, and just took the plastic and towel off my head and went back to sleep.

This morning when I woke up my hair was SOOOO SOFT! I'm not sure if it was just because the catnip was on it for so long, but it certainly didn't feel dry like I was afraid the clay might make it.

It did feel kind of coated, though (ktani does say catnip coats), and it was all bumpy from sleeping on it wet. So I showered, rinsed my hair out while doing some scalp massage, did an ACV rinse, and finished with a cold water rinse. I'm still waiting for my hair to dry, but it does still feel soft! I'll let you all know how it is when it's dry.

Naiadryade
March 13th, 2012, 10:00 AM
One of the most gentle washes I have used for my hair occasionally is 1 - 3 drops of Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds (SLS based) and then shaken and poured over wet hair.

This is enough to clean my hair very well but not dry it out.

I sometimes use this before I use catnip soaks.

I've never seen "Sal Suds," just regular Dr. Bronner's soap. What's the difference? And how much water do you dilute it with?

ratgirldjh
March 13th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Thank you all for your advice! It's good to know I have options. Maybe someday I'll try all of them. I'm starting with what I have, though: clay. If that works I'll probably stick with it for a while... maybe add in some of the things that are in the Terresentials shampoo, which is apparently clay-based.

So last night I washed my hair with Bentonite clay. I mixed a tablespoon of the dry powder with enough water to make it a squishy, creamy consistency that reminded me of store-bought conditioners. In the shower, I wet my hair and then smoothed the clay over the top, massaged it in very gently and smoothed it down the lengths. (There wasn't quite enough for my APL ii/iii hair, I think next time I will make 1-1/2 tbsp.) I let it sit for a minute or two and then rinsed it out. Then I applied room-temperature catnip tea that had steeped for about 4 hours, got out of the shower, and wrapped my head in plastic and then a towel.

Well, I made the mistake (blessing?) of sitting in bed during the catnip treatment, because I fell asleep. I woke up briefly after it had been bagged for about 3 hours, and just took the plastic and towel off my head and went back to sleep.

This morning when I woke up my hair was SOOOO SOFT! I'm not sure if it was just because the catnip was on it for so long, but it certainly didn't feel dry like I was afraid the clay might make it.

It did feel kind of coated, though (ktani does say catnip coats), and it was all bumpy from sleeping on it wet. So I showered, rinsed my hair out while doing some scalp massage, did an ACV rinse, and finished with a cold water rinse. I'm still waiting for my hair to dry, but it does still feel soft! I'll let you all know how it is when it's dry.

This should work well for you! I've used that combo in the past but for me leaving the catnip on more than a few minutes makes my hair feel coated. You might try using a vinegar rinse to bring the hair back to a more 'normal' pH after the bentonite since the pH is around 9.5 - and also it is harder to rinse out without some acidic component added or used after.

I do think catnip is on the acidic side (or neutral) so this by itself might work for the same thing.

I must say that when I was using catnip on my hair I had more new growth than I ever had and bentonite and catnip are probably my hair's two all time favorite things - I think I need to try this again! Thanks for mentioning it! and good luck! :)

ratgirldjh
March 13th, 2012, 01:16 PM
I've never seen "Sal Suds," just regular Dr. Bronner's soap. What's the difference? And how much water do you dilute it with?

Sal Suds is Dr. Bronner's All Purpose cleaner for laundry, dishes, the house etc. It does contain SLS though and if used any stronger it really dries out my hair and hands. The only way I was able to use it is super diluted in water - 1 drop to a liter of water!!! But really this wasn't so good for my hair long term I used it once or twice when I as using catnip in order to not have build up. Clay works better for me and is actually good for your hair as opposed to something that just takes everything off the hair - clay has minerals - namely silica which is strengthening to hair.

malwes
March 13th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Shikakai, Aritha - or other indian herbs. They are purely natural.

It happens that some brand produces natural cosmetics. In my country it is also popluar to purchase the base, the ingredients and to mix cosmetics ourselves. I did not practice it yet, but who knows....
I use mailny 'Alterra' branbd. These are German natural cosmetics, sold in Rossmann's network. I like them as they do not have cones, parabens, mineral oils, any artificial preservatives, etc.
http://www.kontrollierte-naturkosmetik.de/naturkosmetik_hersteller/alterra.htm
I tried also new Timotei Organic cosmetics but the first touch with them were not pleasant. I do not know why - my hair were just strange, like still dry despite conditioner. But it was at a time when I used to use silicones so I suppose I might give them another chance. My husband likes them more.

Naiadryade
March 14th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Okay, so here was my hair yesterday afternoon after it dried and some S&D:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9990&pictureid=128752

Still soft, and the coated feeling was gone! I'm super happy with it! :happydance:

Naiadryade
March 14th, 2012, 11:25 AM
This should work well for you! I've used that combo in the past but for me leaving the catnip on more than a few minutes makes my hair feel coated. You might try using a vinegar rinse to bring the hair back to a more 'normal' pH after the bentonite since the pH is around 9.5 - and also it is harder to rinse out without some acidic component added or used after.

I do think catnip is on the acidic side (or neutral) so this by itself might work for the same thing.

I must say that when I was using catnip on my hair I had more new growth than I ever had and bentonite and catnip are probably my hair's two all time favorite things - I think I need to try this again! Thanks for mentioning it! and good luck! :)

Your words make me feel so hopeful!! Thank you!

I think next time I will try mixing some ACV in with the clay and see what happens.

Naiadryade
March 14th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Sal Suds is Dr. Bronner's All Purpose cleaner for laundry, dishes, the house etc. It does contain SLS though and if used any stronger it really dries out my hair and hands. The only way I was able to use it is super diluted in water - 1 drop to a liter of water!!! But really this wasn't so good for my hair long term I used it once or twice when I as using catnip in order to not have build up. Clay works better for me and is actually good for your hair as opposed to something that just takes everything off the hair - clay has minerals - namely silica which is strengthening to hair.

I'm definitely going to stick with the clay for now, but for the record/future... if you're going to use Dr. Bronner's, why use Sal Suds and not just their regular castille soap?

Naiadryade
March 14th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Shikakai, Aritha - or other indian herbs. They are purely natural.

It happens that some brand produces natural cosmetics. In my country it is also popluar to purchase the base, the ingredients and to mix cosmetics ourselves. I did not practice it yet, but who knows....
I use mailny 'Alterra' branbd. These are German natural cosmetics, sold in Rossmann's network. I like them as they do not have cones, parabens, mineral oils, any artificial preservatives, etc.
http://www.kontrollierte-naturkosmetik.de/naturkosmetik_hersteller/alterra.htm
I tried also new Timotei Organic cosmetics but the first touch with them were not pleasant. I do not know why - my hair were just strange, like still dry despite conditioner. But it was at a time when I used to use silicones so I suppose I might give them another chance. My husband likes them more.

I've been told that Aritha/soapnuts leave a coating. I might try Shikakai someday though!

Do you know if there is somewhere online where I can buy those Alterra products in the US? I don't think I'll go with that for my hair, but all-natural makeup is intriguing. I never wear makeup normally but I'm also an actor, and it's important to wear makeup onstage sometimes...

ratgirldjh
March 14th, 2012, 01:30 PM
I'm definitely going to stick with the clay for now, but for the record/future... if you're going to use Dr. Bronner's, why use Sal Suds and not just their regular castille soap?

Their soaps (even the bar soap which are better) do not work at all here in our water. They leave a lot of build up even with an ACV rinse. The sal suds is detergent!!! That is why I don't like to use it and only used a drop diluted in a LITER of water!!! It is very strong but leaves NO residue.

kittengirl
March 14th, 2012, 01:33 PM
I use Organic Excellence Wild Mint Shampoo and Conditioner and I absolutely love it. My hair is so shiny now. You should check it out.

ratgirldjh
March 14th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Your words make me feel so hopeful!! Thank you!

I think next time I will try mixing some ACV in with the clay and see what happens.

I find it better to use the ACV as a rinse (highly diluted - 1 teaspoon in a quart/liter of water). For me it takes the ACV rinse to get the rest of the clay to 'let go' of my hair and scalp!!! It is probably our water though. I also do it because the pH of the clay is 9.5. I've tried stronger ACV rinses and it didn't do any better but dried out my hair so stick with the weak one.

The catnip is acidic too - but for me I need the ACV rinse first because if I don't the catnip just sits on top of the clay that is still stuck on my scalp... lol then it feels gunky because the clay soaks up the catnip and feels gummy!!! But if I do the ACV rinse first my scalp feels clean!

Yay for all natural non-coating things that can be used for hair wash and so many other things!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE multi purpose items :p