PDA

View Full Version : I need an intervention!

rbooh
March 8th, 2012, 10:03 AM
I haven't been on in a while. I had a hair crisis a couple of months ago and I needed to... just. back. away. from. the. hair. :p

I've been feeling better and my hair is back on track, but now I'm having this, urge... yearning, maybe a morbid desire; to CUT all my hair off.

Ive maintained at hip length and Ive grown out my long layers. I did get half head highlights due to picking up the wrong haircolor box
(I thought it was semi and it was permanent) and coloring my hair <eeek> black! I tried vitamin c mixed with head-n-shoulders
and color oops but it just took me to a dark brown.

Anywho... I love the TV show "Happy Endings" and now I am obsessed with getting a style like Janes'. I absolutely love
the cut and color. BUT I know myself well enough to know I'll love it for exactly one day, then I will be a raging maniac
for the next year while it sooo slooowly grows out.

My husband is a big fat ZERO in the help department. When I asked him he just says "sure babe.. whatever."
Even though he will be the one suffering for the next few years (haha)

HELP! Someone tell me I'm crazy to do it :cheese:

This is Jane:

http://wornontv.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/s02e14-janes-tan-hoodie-500x490.jpg

ME:

http://www132.lunapic.com/do-not-link-here-use-hosting-instead/133122454540408?3243733207

summergreen
March 8th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Errr I think it would be quite damaging to go from dark brown to that shade of blonde! And it is quite short - so would take a long time to grow out. Could you get a Jane-style wig (or get a hairdresser to cut the style into a wig) instead??? Instant blonde shortness and no pain (except to the wallet)!

Joliebaby
March 8th, 2012, 10:33 AM
You need to ask yourself, is it the HAIR you like, or is the way SHE looks? Because even if you got the exact same hair (which is unlikely) you still won't look like her, but you with a new hair style :)

Anyway, your hair is so long that you need to really give yourself time to make sure you are sure.

Avital88
March 8th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Noooooo, dont do it!

1..the color, its hard to achieve and to maintain(what about growing out)
2. the cut.. its hard to grow out too
3. i see you are at 34 inch now, thats pretty long and it will take you a few years to get back to that
4... i had a mayor urge last month to cut too, it lasted like 3 wks but im so happy i didnt do it..

Avital88
March 8th, 2012, 10:35 AM
But ofcourse if you think next month that you still want then you have to do it, but really think about it good before making drastic changes

Amber_Maiden
March 8th, 2012, 10:46 AM
It is a big change... and what might look good on someone else might not look good on you! Think hard about it!

Mommyof4
March 8th, 2012, 10:47 AM
I would say DONT DO IT! Your hair won't just fall into that style, and the styling will be damaging, plus the coloring and bleaching.

You hair is long, but it would take years to grow it back to where you're at now.. You will most likely miss your hair.

lunardaydreamer
March 8th, 2012, 11:27 AM
That's a tough one! I can only give you my opinion, but I say wait like a month and see if you still feel as strongly about it!

I had APL hair and chopped it ALL off and loved it at first, but I HAD to style it or else it looks ridiculous. And now like three months later I MISS my hair so much. I wish I hadn't done it, as much as I try not to have regrets haha. So give it a month of thinking, and see if you're still wanting it as much.

I also agree with whoever had said make sure you aren't just reacting to that actresses' features and how the haircut suits her.

kamar
March 8th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Oh gosh no - I wouldn't. It sounds like you're just wanting a change, and this haircut appeals to you. Yep, it looks really cute on her - not to say that it wouldn't look cute on you too, but that's just too drastic IMO. I think you also answered your own question in that you'll be very unhappy shortly after. And yes, most guys are no help at all with these decisions :)

Here's my suggestion: Why not compromise and just get about 10 inches cut off, and have a few highlights put in to lighten it up a bit. That's still a lot of hair to cut off - but you'll still have long, healthy hair, and you'll still enjoy a drastic change. You can grow a lot of it back in a year if you miss your hair. If you love it, you can always go shorter (and shorter . . .) Let us know what you do!

heidi w.
March 8th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Going to a high blonde? I would think that's not a good plan if you care about the integrity of your hair.

And her haircut, that's a precision haircut, to some extent, and also it appears asymmetrical.

Depends on what you're after. Growing it long -- no. After having a stylish look/cut, then maybe if you don't overly care about the condition of your hair.

You have to decide what your priorities are. I can't decide that for you, but I can tell you what's good or not good for hair that's in good condition.

heidi w.

Unofficial_Rose
March 8th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Although she looks good, I actually think that colour is too light for Jane's skintone. Just an opinion. I didn't think that kind of look was in anymore, seems a bit early 2000's - I'm kind of surprised.

And if your hair is dark brown, then the maintenance will be considerable.

Jessfoz
March 8th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Agree with kamar, great suggestion! Get it back up to BSL with a nice straight across cut (that alone will feel so refreshing. Maybe highlight it but I wouldn't myself not too keen on the chemicals but that would be a great compromise to the full colouring. Maybe even look into honey lightening? :)

Jessfoz
March 8th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Heidi makes a great point - she would have to straighten it every day to have it look like that. And when you want to grow it out, because it is asymmetrical you'd have to chop it again to even out.

spidermom
March 8th, 2012, 11:51 AM
I see you have a hair length goal, and I think you will feel a lot better if you do your best to reach one goal before you set a new one.

Silverbrumby
March 8th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Hair is one of the fun parts of our appearance we can swap out and change. BUT, as you know, the downside is growing out our hair adventures. I don't know. When I was last pregnant I wanted a bob cut even though I love long hair. It got it and it was fun at the time.

I'm not being helpful here but I think if you were to cut it into this style be prepared for a 6 to 8 week hairdressing maintenance appointment to keep it just like this. This is a high maintainence style IMO.

lapushka
March 8th, 2012, 01:46 PM
It looks good on her, but don't be fooled, it's a high maintenance style. You'd have to keep up with the color and with the style, and that means constant hair salon visits. It will undoubtedly look good right after, but then it's all down to maintenance and I'm afraid that's where you'll get stuck.

I agree with spidermom. First try and reach for the goal you set yourself growing your hair, before you set yourself another one and do something as drastic as this.

pepperminttea
March 8th, 2012, 01:56 PM
It's a high maintenance cut. Ask yourself if the increase in salon visits/costs, potential bleach damage, and the time taken each and every day to style it would all be worth it to you. :flower: Also, try playing around on Taaz.com (http://www.taaz.com/) and see how you'd look with the cut and colour first. :)

Mesmerise
March 8th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Really, it's totally up to you what you do with your hair.

That being said... what does prior experience about cutting hair tell you? (I assume that in the past you've had shorder hair?? How did you feel then? Was it annoying growing back out?)

One thing I think is a good idea when you're contemplating a big chop, is to have a smaller chop first. Like... back to waist, or BSL. It's short enough that you'll notice it, but long enough that growing back won't take FOREVER!

If you cut it to BSL and feel a huge pang of regret, then you'll know cutting isn't the right thing to do and you can focus on regrowing a few inches, rather than a LOT more inches (and most likely a lot of damage too).

swearnsue
March 8th, 2012, 02:51 PM
When I was about your age, you young kid you, I went to Merle Norman and got a makeover and bought myself about $100 worth of make up! It was so fun and felt so dramatic and courageous! Shows you about my wild life!lol. Anyway, maybe try something other than cutting your hair.

Cimorene
March 8th, 2012, 04:10 PM
I think you should definitely wait a few weeks at least and see if you still feel the same way, especially since you said that you'll love the new haircut for about a day before you start missing your long hair.

If you're not sure whether you like the style itself vs. how the style looks on that actress, you could try one of the online hair make-over sites (http://www.thehairstyler.com/) to get a better idea of how it would look on you.

Or, why not invest in a wig in a similar style? :shrug: That way you could experience the shorter hair for awhile, and get the urge to cut out of your system before making such a drastic decision. Not certain about the logistics involved in wearing a wig over long hair, but I'm sure you could make it work. And then if you get these urges to chop off your hair again, you'll have already have a temporary means of having short hair.

HappyHair87
March 8th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Why not get a wig like that? it's a cute style....but asymmetrical cuts tend to freak me out. I don't wear wigs but...if i wanted a cut like that THAT bad i would just get a wig and wear that for a while until i was over it.

Tisiloves
March 8th, 2012, 10:59 PM
I would strongly advise against it, that looks like a majorly high maintainence style and a complete PITA to grow out. Plus it'd take ages to get back where you were. Get a wig instead, it's probably still cheaper than all the salon visits you'd need.

Beckstar
March 8th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Maybe try some thin wispy bangs and wear your hair in a faux bob. It will give you an idea of what it will look like. Wear it like that for a couple of days and see if you still like it and if you really want to cut it. Wait the two weeks before making a final decision. You can always let your hair down from a faux bob. You can't once you've cut it. You have to wait and wait for it to grow back and go through all the awkward stages again.

Deborah
March 9th, 2012, 09:34 PM
HELP! Someone tell me I'm crazy to do it

YEP! Don't do it. Your hair already looks better than hers; why go backwards?

Beckstar
March 9th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Don't do it! It'd be crazy.

blondie9912
March 10th, 2012, 12:34 AM
I know how you feel, I get the same temptation. But don't do it unless you give it like...the two month rule :D

If you cut your hair that short and get tons of blonde highlights put in, you will NEED to style it. No way around it. The bleach will make your hair puffy and frizzy, and as a result air drying will result in fuzzy ends- nothing like Jane's smooth bob. Straightening or blow drying your hair daily (or 3 times a week, whatever) will result in breakage over time (not to mention split ends and a rougher, drier texture). Your hair will begin to shed more than usual and snap off in some areas, and your pony circumference will decrease. Over time, you'll have over-bleached, thin, damaged, frizzy, short blonde hair.

Good horror story, eh? Trust me, I've been there. Don't do it unless your hair looks GREAT without styling (difficult when you have short hair, as it often needs to be styled to look 'finished' vs unkempt), grows 6 inches a month, and has some sort of magical powers that grant it immunity against bleach damage.

I know that sometimes it's really tempting to get a cut. Celebrities often have hair that looks so fresh, while long, natural hair can look bland and heavy in comparison. Think wisely about your decision, and understand that the satisfaction of having that cut will probably pale in comparison to the giant PITA it will be to grow out.

annamoonfairy
March 10th, 2012, 12:42 AM
I wouldn't cut it but that’s just because I like long hair however I do love blonde hair and I have healthy, long, thick lightened hair. Many people say it is not possible to have platinum blonde hair that is long and healthy but I am living proof that it is possible. I would wait until you are having a really great hair day before changing anything though.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/34/hairfebmarch2012.jpg