PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed

newbeginning
March 8th, 2012, 06:29 AM
In a few weeks I have an event coming up where I won't be able to wash my hair for a week. Currently I have to wash my hair daily (I do CWC). I have tried stretching washes but my scalp goes haywire if I do (it gets itchy and I get cysts if I don't wash daily). I'm worried about how my scalp will react to me not being able to wash it. Is there anything I can do for my scalp that will keep it calm? Also is there any hairstyles I can do that will last the week, be comfortable and keep it out of my way and tangle free? I have tried the spiral braid (I think that's what it is called...where it is like a french/dutch/lace braid braided in a spiral) but I can't quite get it. TIA.

ETA: I forgot to mention my hair is pretty much at my waist.

Viola88
March 8th, 2012, 06:39 AM
In a few weeks I have an event coming up where I won't be able to wash my hair for a week. Currently I have to wash my hair daily (I do CWC). I have tried stretching washes but my scalp goes haywire if I do (it gets itchy and I get cysts if I don't wash daily). I'm worried about how my scalp will react to me not being able to wash it. Is there anything I can do for my scalp that will keep it calm? Also is there any hairstyles I can do that will last the week, be comfortable and keep it out of my way and tangle free? I have tried the spiral braid (I think that's what it is called...where it is like a french/dutch/lace braid braided in a spiral) but I can't quite get it. TIA.

ETA: I forgot to mention my hair is pretty much at my waist.I lived on a remote island for 2 weeks and we had limited fresh water. Some people tried washing with salt water from the ocean but they just ended up sticky. I left my hair in two french braids. I can't remember but I am guessing I re-braided every 4-5 days.

VikingVampChick
March 8th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Amish braid maybe? You should be able to find it by using the search function here.

bumblebums
March 8th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Will you have no access to water at all? Even a WO wash would be better than nothing, if you are used to washing your hair daily.

For help with scalp problems, try essential oils, maybe? Rosemary+lavender and tea tree oils, diluted in a carrier oil such as jojoba, help me. Add a small amount of peppermint if you like the tingly feeling, but be careful if you are sensitive to EOs (some people are).

white.chocolate
March 8th, 2012, 07:01 AM
If you will have access to fresh water, I agree with WO wash... or you could bring a small bottle of shampoo for a scalp wash only. Forget the conditioner as it seems inconvenient. Isn't there a place where you will be able to collect for drinking, or other needs? If stretching washes really is problematic for you, I think you should take the opportunity to use available water. I don't know where you live because if it is winter where you are and you'll be outside, then I advice against doing a wash.

As for a comfortable hairstyle, you could do a simple braid and bun it if you wish.

Madora
March 8th, 2012, 07:26 AM
newbeginning, you might find this lace twisted crown braid comfortable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

It distributes the hair comfortably and is also comfortable to sleep in.

If you keep it in all week then it might get a bit "fuzzy". However, if you detangle gently after taking it down, you shouldn't have any problems with snarls.

newbeginning
March 8th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Thank you for the tips so far.

teal
March 8th, 2012, 12:00 PM
If your scalp needs stimulation, maybe a daily BBB brushing would help?

newbeginning
March 8th, 2012, 02:24 PM
If your scalp needs stimulation, maybe a daily BBB brushing would help?

I've tried using a BBB before but my hair did not like it at all. Thanks for the recommendation though.

darklyndsea
March 8th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Scalp massages, maybe? When I do them, my hair seems to get greasier (probably because they move the sebum around), but they might help keep your scalp happy...or at least less unhappy.

bumblebums
March 8th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Scalp massages, maybe? When I do them, my hair seems to get greasier (probably because they move the sebum around), but they might help keep your scalp happy...or at least less unhappy.

I've actually found that if my scalp itches, it is best left alone... scratching or massaging it in any way only makes it itch worse. But that may vary from person to person. I just have to wait a bit and rely on the power of the mind and then the itching goes away and it's happy again.

In general, the less you handle the hair, the less dirty it gets, although some people swear by brushing and preening and so on.

darklyndsea
March 8th, 2012, 04:18 PM
I've actually found that if my scalp itches, it is best left alone... scratching or massaging it in any way only makes it itch worse. But that may vary from person to person. I just have to wait a bit and rely on the power of the mind and then the itching goes away and it's happy again.

In general, the less you handle the hair, the less dirty it gets, although some people swear by brushing and preening and so on.
Yeah, I just leave my hair alone when my scalp itches, too. But if the cysts that newbeginning gets are because the sebum is irritating her scalp, it might not be a good idea to just leave it alone.

bumblebums
March 8th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Yeah, I just leave my hair alone when my scalp itches, too. But if the cysts that newbeginning gets are because the sebum is irritating her scalp, it might not be a good idea to just leave it alone.

Those could be due to the products being used, or something else. I don't know how typical it is for the scalp to get that irritated from sebum alone, but I would want to understand the root causes of that if I were the OP... Sounds like a problem to me--not something to just live with.

xXfaitheyx
March 8th, 2012, 08:14 PM
I agree with the braids. I dont quite know what to do about washing though.. sorry ):

bumblebums
March 9th, 2012, 04:23 AM
Also, you could try dry shampoo. You do have to use a brush with that.

hanne jensen
March 9th, 2012, 05:02 AM
I've found that spraying my scalp with rooibus (red tea) calms my scalp and "freshens" the hair at the scalp. Red tea is slightly antiseptic.

newbeginning
March 9th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Thanks again for all the tips/ideas everyone. I've had allergies to hair products before but they didn't cause cysts. I do think the cysts are from sebum. I think I'll try using tea or essential oils on my scalp to sort of calm it and hopefully that will help with the cysts and itch. I use a tangle teaser so maybe I can use that to massage my scalp? The TT does feel great on my scalp when I use to to brush my hair on a regular basis.