PDA

View Full Version : Silly Hairstyle Question :)

kittengirl
March 7th, 2012, 10:47 PM
I have an odd question. My hair is finally a nice shoulder length and I'm trying to find some nice new styles (as opposed to my protective but dull claw clip.) I think I have found a style I like...I'll try to explain. I roll the sides of my hair back, gathering most of my hair, and fasten each roll with an extra small flexi8. Then I roll the back hair up and fasten it either with bobby pins (which I worry pulls more) or with another slightly larger flexi8. My question is this: is wearing three flexi8's going to make me look like a Christmas tree? I can't think of any other way to hold the hair though. I want a protective style that is very hair-friendly and uses toys that won't damage. If anyone has an idea for a protective style for fairly thick, shoulder length, annoying layered hair I would be thrilled to hear it. :)

Amarante
March 7th, 2012, 11:13 PM
Have you tried smaller claw clips? I love them for use in sectioned styles like the one you mentioned. I have tons of the tiny ones (about 1"), and even use them to hold up buns. You can get them plain or embellished.

kittengirl
March 7th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Have you tried smaller claw clips? I love them for use in sectioned styles like the one you mentioned. I have tons of the tiny ones (about 1"), and even use them to hold up buns. You can get them plain or embellished.

I tried my tiny claw clip but it would even go around half of the hair on each twist. I'm thinking maybe I could get some that are a little bit bigger, though? That's a good idea. :)

Freckled.Thing
March 7th, 2012, 11:40 PM
Sounds interesting!
I think it could potentially look nice. It might depend on the flexi-8s, though. By which I mean, do they go well together? If the beads don't match or if they're all really gaudy it probably won't look nice but if they're more understated it might work. Could you upload a picture? I would love to see it.

kittengirl
March 7th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Sounds interesting!
I think it could potentially look nice. It might depend on the flexi-8s, though. By which I mean, do they go well together? If the beads don't match or if they're all really gaudy it probably won't look nice but if they're more understated it might work. Could you upload a picture? I would love to see it.
I have a couple that don't match...I need to get some more. I can't upload pictures because I don't have the facilities to here at college. I'll try to put up some pics when I go home in May.

Kira94
March 8th, 2012, 12:15 AM
I really want to see a picture. This sounds really interesting!
I have no idea, I suppose it would depend on if they matched. Umm, I'm having trouble picturing this.
I'm sure it probably looks fine. :) I think it sounds pretty. :)

What about a single braid with a tie on the end and try rolling it or flipping it up as a bun with a flexi or something? You'd probably need a bigger flexi though if you have thick hair.

Madora
March 8th, 2012, 09:47 AM
kittengirl, I don't know if your layers would prevent you from trying this, but thought I'd mention it anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

kittengirl
March 8th, 2012, 01:05 PM
I really want to see a picture. This sounds really interesting!
I have no idea, I suppose it would depend on if they matched. Umm, I'm having trouble picturing this.
I'm sure it probably looks fine. :) I think it sounds pretty. :)

What about a single braid with a tie on the end and try rolling it or flipping it up as a bun with a flexi or something? You'd probably need a bigger flexi though if you have thick hair.

I wish my hair was long enough for a single braid! :( It feels like it's been right at shoulder forever and will never get longer. I wanted apl by July but I don't think that will happen. It's a good idea for a style though! :)

kittengirl
March 8th, 2012, 01:11 PM
kittengirl, I don't know if your layers would prevent you from trying this, but thought I'd mention it anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ
Wow, that is an impressive style! I'm going to try it right now! I'm not sure if I'm coordinated enough, but it won't be long before my hair is long enough if it isn't now! Thanks so much! I'll let you know how it goes!

Kira94
March 8th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Hmm, could you do a french braid? Or maybe if your hair's long enough do a braid on each side, bend it back and use a flexi to keep it there?

jeanniet
March 8th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Wow, that is an impressive style! I'm going to try it right now! I'm not sure if I'm coordinated enough, but it won't be long before my hair is long enough if it isn't now! Thanks so much! I'll let you know how it goes!
Believe me, if I can do it, you can do it! My hair is too long and thick to do it all the way around and tuck it in like she does, but I sometimes do it down one side to the back of my neck and then bun the rest of the hair in the back, just to spiff things up. It's not difficult to do at all.

kittengirl
March 8th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Hmm, could you do a french braid? Or maybe if your hair's long enough do a braid on each side, bend it back and use a flexi to keep it there?

OH, I might have to try that. I can French braid, and I can do one on each side perhaps and pin them under, or flexi. I need to get more flexi's! This is a good idea! THanks!

kittengirl
March 8th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Believe me, if I can do it, you can do it! My hair is too long and thick to do it all the way around and tuck it in like she does, but I sometimes do it down one side to the back of my neck and then bun the rest of the hair in the back, just to spiff things up. It's not difficult to do at all.
I tried it and it looks very good but i feel like my layers are still a bit too short....i.e. it stays and looks lovely for a minute, then loosens. :( I'm going to try it again in a few months, because I really like it.