PDA

View Full Version : shedding more with stretching washes?

bubblyredhead
March 7th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Lately I have been trying to stretch my washes and I notice that I loose a lot more hair when I skip washing for 2 days is this normal? or is it just the same amount of hair but all at once?

sycamoreboutiqu
March 7th, 2012, 10:05 PM
I think most of us conclude it is just the same amount of hair shedding but you just see it all at once. I know I shed entire clumps sometimes and it would worry me if not for the fact that my general volume never seems to go down, so it must be normal.

I know when I have kept a constant braid for a few days and pretty much no combing that I will get a sinkful of sheds when I do comb, and much more during the CO wash. All told I don't think they are anywhere near the possible 100 a day so I don't concern myself about it.

bubblyredhead
March 7th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Thank you! I was thinking along those lines but just needed a little reassurance not that I am obsessed with my hair or anything...

OhioLisa
March 7th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Personally, I do shed more when I try to stretch my washes. I have actually compared my clumps. :p So yes, it is possible.

Lamb
March 8th, 2012, 12:12 AM
You might want to read this article by ktani, OP:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=121

Skipping a day shouldn't be long enough for shed hair to accumulate. Some people's scalps just like to be cleaned every day.

Mina17
March 8th, 2012, 03:32 AM
You might want to read this article by ktani, OP:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=121

Skipping a day shouldn't be long enough for shed hair to accumulate. Some people's scalps just like to be cleaned every day.

I totally agree. When I experimented with stretching washes I tried to convince myself it was just "normal shedding" like people say here, until I realized my ponytail circumference was getting quite a bit smaller. For me the possible benefits of stretching washes aren't worth losing my hair:).

Teufelchen
March 8th, 2012, 05:29 AM
I agree with Lamb and Mina17, my scalp does the same. As soon as it gets oily I start shedding like crazy.
I have found that the longest I can strech is to every other day, so I wash every other day and be happy. :)

Madora
March 8th, 2012, 07:33 AM
The shedding might be the result of not brushing or combing your hair every day. The shed hairs tend to get trapped among the attached hairs. Thus, when you shampoo, you find more sheds than you like.

It's always a good idea to either brush or comb your hair - and thoroughly detangle it - to get rid of sheds before you shampoo.
Saves on hair getting caught in the drain strainer too!

Teufelchen
March 8th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Madora, I detangle and brush my hair every day, and before washing as well, and that amount is larger if my scalp gets too oily. I mean, I don't shed more on washing day, I shed more when my scalp is oily, no matter if I wash or not.

But I agree, that detangling and brushing every day is essential.

Silverbrumby
March 8th, 2012, 12:19 PM
I tried stretching my washes and noticed when I did that my scalp got sore, and I was shedding way more. Now I'm washing twice a week with rosemary tea rinses sometimes inbetween and it seems to be helping with the shedding.

What I'm finding causes shedding on me:

* not BBB at least once every 2 days
* only washing my hair once a week
* putting any kind of oil or even monistat on my hair. My scalp didn't like it

Silverbrumby
March 8th, 2012, 12:21 PM
I made a mistake. Not oil on my hair but oil on my SCALP.

einna
March 8th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I stretch my washes, and have never noticed any shedding because of that. Then again, I have "always" been stretching my washes, due to lazyness and the fact that my hair looks best a few days after wash day. I have however stretched my washed further after joining LHC, with no extra shedding.
Your scalp might be "in shock" if you have washed more often for a long time, it will probably adjust in a while, though some scalps just like to be cleaned more often. Good luck finding out what works for you. :)

Dendra
June 28th, 2017, 06:38 AM
I've been stretching washes over the past six weeks; I've gone from every 4-5 days to every 7, to every 10, to every 12.

Today was shampoo day (day 12), and I coconut oiled my hair two days ago. Basically, I cannot believe how much I shed last night and today during washing, roughly about 350/400 hairs. I don't know if I'm making a mistake in trying to stretch my washes as far as possible.

My scalp has been itchy too, though it's died down a bit since the weather got cooler and I stopped wearing a sunhat every day (head would get really sweaty and hot). I think the itchiness might have stemmed from leaving my sulphate shampoo on for a few minutes by mistake. It really seemed to start after that. But maybe it's also due to stretching washes.

I used to shed about 3-10 hairs a day, and now it's more like 50-60. Maybe I should try some sulphate free shampoo for a bit to see if my scalp itch goes away, in case that's causing the shedding?

draysmir
June 28th, 2017, 07:42 AM
If you're shedding quite excessively, I would be worried about it. I wash my hair once a week, and I probably lose around 50ish hairs or so but the amount I lose feels comfortable to me, and my thickness stays the same. I have tried to use a product (similar to a clarifying shampoo I'm guessing) a few times to get rid of product build up and a bit of dandruff and stuff, and I noticed I'd lose about twice as much hair from using that product, if not more, but it doesn't really solve any of the problems I have anyway. I know I'm definitely losing more than a day's worth of hair when I use that shampoo, so I've decided to just stop using it because I feel like that's too much hair loss, even if I only use it once a month (once every four washes). It's normal to lose hair when you shampoo, but if you think it's a lot, then maybe try shampooing more often or trying out a different shampoo?

Denra, I'm not totally sure what you should do, but I would guess that maybe you have been stretching your washes quite quickly, and that might be the cause of the excessive shedding and itching. When I first stretched my washes from 4ish days to 7, I didn't build up to it I just kind of started washing my hair half as often, and my hair was a bit wonky for a while. On days 6-7 my head was itchy too, I think it's normal and just from too much oil or something on your scalp. I can't quite remember, but I think my scalp stopped getting itchy after a couple months. My head never gets itchy anymore though, although I stretch my washes even a bit more now, 7-9 days, so I would stick it out for a while and see if the itchiness goes away. I think once my scalp regulated itself and the amount of oil it produced, the itchiness stopped. I would suggest though, maybe trying to go back to washing once a week or so, and see how that feels. Washing your hair 1/3 of the time you used to in only a month and a half time span is probably a bit of a shock to your scalp, it sounds like. Washing once every 12 days might not be for you, but if you want to try to wash your hair less, I would just retry stretching your washes out, but do it very slowly so you can find your "happy spot". :) Other people might have better suggestions though, this is just my opinion!

Dendra
June 28th, 2017, 09:42 AM
Thank you so much draysmir that's really helpful advice. It's great to know that your itchiness subsided after a while. I think, like you said, I'll try stretching the washes more slowly and see if that gets rid of the shedding. It makes sense because the shedding really ramped up after I left coconut oil on for two days, hence more oil on my scalp!

Next wash I might also use baby shampoo or something else mild and sulphate-free to see if that has any effect on the itching. It's hard to isolate the cause of it exactly as I was both stretching washes, sweating loads in boiling humid weather and also I had my sulphate-overload all at the same time. I think my scalp was probably just shocked at the absolute change of pace!

Thank you so much again for your advice :)

TheBoldLife
June 28th, 2017, 01:11 PM
Dendra, I've heard that doing a natural scalp detox, like mixing sea salt into your shampoo can help with buildup between washes. You might want to also look into ACV rinses after oiling if your scalp is prone to this.

I've definitely noticed that I've been shedding more, but I think it has to do for me with washing too vigorously after going for a long time.

lapushka
June 28th, 2017, 02:18 PM
I've been stretching washes over the past six weeks; I've gone from every 4-5 days to every 7, to every 10, to every 12.

Today was shampoo day (day 12), and I coconut oiled my hair two days ago. Basically, I cannot believe how much I shed last night and today during washing, roughly about 350/400 hairs. I don't know if I'm making a mistake in trying to stretch my washes as far as possible.

My scalp has been itchy too, though it's died down a bit since the weather got cooler and I stopped wearing a sunhat every day (head would get really sweaty and hot). I think the itchiness might have stemmed from leaving my sulphate shampoo on for a few minutes by mistake. It really seemed to start after that. But maybe it's also due to stretching washes.

I used to shed about 3-10 hairs a day, and now it's more like 50-60. Maybe I should try some sulphate free shampoo for a bit to see if my scalp itch goes away, in case that's causing the shedding?

It could be the oil on your scalp! Try not putting oil on the scalp, and see how you go. Oil can be problematic for a lot of people.

Dendra
June 28th, 2017, 02:31 PM
Dendra, I've heard that doing a natural scalp detox, like mixing sea salt into your shampoo can help with buildup between washes. You might want to also look into ACV rinses after oiling if your scalp is prone to this.

I've definitely noticed that I've been shedding more, but I think it has to do for me with washing too vigorously after going for a long time.

You know I was thinking today that I'll try an ACV rinse to see if that takes care of the itchiness. Thank you for the tip and I'll report back once over tried it :)

It could be the oil on your scalp! Try not putting oil on the scalp, and see how you go. Oil can be problematic for a lot of people.

Lapushka I actually thought of you as I typed my original message because we spoke on another thread about how I was going to try putting the oil on just my lengths and ends...and then I caved and oiled my scalp again because it just feels soo good! I should have listened to you, and I will definitely leave my scalp alone next time.

It's a shame to avoid the upper section of my hair though because the oiling gives me such beautiful results, so much shine. Do you oil from your ears down or do you oil nearly all your hair and just make sure to avoid your actual scalp?

lapushka
June 28th, 2017, 03:49 PM
Lapushka I actually thought of you as I typed my original message because we spoke on another thread about how I was going to try putting the oil on just my lengths and ends...and then I caved and oiled my scalp again because it just feels soo good! I should have listened to you, and I will definitely leave my scalp alone next time.

It's a shame to avoid the upper section of my hair though because the oiling gives me such beautiful results, so much shine. Do you oil from your ears down or do you oil nearly all your hair and just make sure to avoid your actual scalp?

I actually do an "oil rinse", and only oil the last 3/4 inches, sometimes - not all the time.

I would definitely give it a go, skipping your scalp as you try and stretch washes, to see if it's the oil or the stretching. Trust me, it's not worth it to see how your hair thins out, just because you want a certain routine. You have to listen to your hair/scalp, and do what they want, not what *you* want. :)

queenbee1
June 28th, 2017, 04:15 PM
For me both oil and stretching washes caused thinning. You might want to cut back on both xx

Dendra
June 28th, 2017, 04:20 PM
I actually do an "oil rinse", and only oil the last 3/4 inches, sometimes - not all the time.

I would definitely give it a go, skipping your scalp as you try and stretch washes, to see if it's the oil or the stretching. Trust me, it's not worth it to see how your hair thins out, just because you want a certain routine. You have to listen to your hair/scalp, and do what they want, not what *you* want. :)

You're right :) I will focus on what feels good from now on, rather than chasing some ideal hair routine to give me perfect hair!

I did not realise that my scalp might have an opinion on me switching my routine up, but it really does! I've never had an itchy scalp in my life before, and it's constant. Even today, when I've just washed my hair, I'm itching constantly. Which makes me suspect it must be my shampoo, because if it was sebum/oil build up then wouldn't that subside after washing?

draysmir
June 28th, 2017, 06:00 PM
You're right :) I will focus on what feels good from now on, rather than chasing some ideal hair routine to give me perfect hair!

I did not realise that my scalp might have an opinion on me switching my routine up, but it really does! I've never had an itchy scalp in my life before, and it's constant. Even today, when I've just washed my hair, I'm itching constantly. Which makes me suspect it must be my shampoo, because if it was sebum/oil build up then wouldn't that subside after washing?

It might be your shampoo then, I only experienced itchiness on my very oily days, I'm not sure what other common reasons are for an itchy scalp besides these ones. I hope you are able to solve this with just switching up your products though :)

Dendra
June 29th, 2017, 03:44 AM
It might be your shampoo then, I only experienced itchiness on my very oily days, I'm not sure what other common reasons are for an itchy scalp besides these ones. I hope you are able to solve this with just switching up your products though :)

Thank you :) I'll definitely give non-sulphate a go next wash. I remember the itching starting after I left the sulphate shampoo (which also has a strong perfume in it) on my head for ages. I couldn't figure out the water temperature so it was a while! As far as I can remember the itching started after that wash.

But the shedding did increase even more with the stretching washes/coconut oil on scalp so it could be both things. This morning I'm going to massage some diluted ACV into my scalp to see if that helps.

I hope I don't have to give up sulphates, they're so helpful!

lapushka
June 29th, 2017, 05:11 AM
Thank you :) I'll definitely give non-sulphate a go next wash. I remember the itching starting after I left the sulphate shampoo (which also has a strong perfume in it) on my head for ages. I couldn't figure out the water temperature so it was a while! As far as I can remember the itching started after that wash.

But the shedding did increase even more with the stretching washes/coconut oil on scalp so it could be both things. This morning I'm going to massage some diluted ACV into my scalp to see if that helps.

I hope I don't have to give up sulphates, they're so helpful!

Please give your scalp a break! Don't be trying one thing after the other, it's just not good and you won't know which does what. Slow and steady...

Dendra
June 29th, 2017, 08:07 AM
Please give your scalp a break! Don't be trying one thing after the other, it's just not good and you won't know which does what. Slow and steady...

Ah right okay so you think I should leave it be for a while? I thought I should take action to stop the itching as I thought as long as my scalp's itching maybe the shedding would continue?

I'm more than happy to leave it, but I thought ACV was meant to help the itchies? Sorry for all the questions lapushka :/ and thank you again for your advice.

lapushka
June 29th, 2017, 02:59 PM
Ah right okay so you think I should leave it be for a while? I thought I should take action to stop the itching as I thought as long as my scalp's itching maybe the shedding would continue?

I'm more than happy to leave it, but I thought ACV was meant to help the itchies? Sorry for all the questions lapushka :/ and thank you again for your advice.

Have you always had an itchy scalp when using sulfate-shampoo? Or, is this something new? What else have you been putting on your scalp?

Dendra
June 29th, 2017, 04:25 PM
Have you always had an itchy scalp when using sulfate-shampoo? Or, is this something new? What else have you been putting on your scalp?

I've never had an itchy scalp from sulphates, this is brand new for me!

I haven't been putting anything else on my scalp, apart from conditioner to help remove the coconut oil. I lather it on and leave it for twenty minutes, then rinse. However the itching had already started by the time I started doing this.

Recent changes in my lifestyle are: living in a hot, humid climate in which I have been wearing a sun hat almost every day (and getting a very sweaty head), and using coconut oil on my hair and scalp. When I use the coconut oil I leave it on overnight with a plastic shower cap over it. I was doing the coconut oil treatments for about three months before the itch started.