PDA

View Full Version : Falling Oil

jennescence
March 7th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Why does hair fall more when you oil your scalp or am i the only one? It is starting to scare me a little bit:(

Jing
March 8th, 2012, 07:49 AM
This happens to me, too. Getting my scalp wet with anything makes me shed more than usual for the duration. Quite annoying.

moon2dove
March 8th, 2012, 08:01 AM
This happens to me too.

If I use oil, I add it to my conditioner or on my length only.

I have no idea why hair falls out more when using on the scalp though....It's very strange!

Gothchiq
March 8th, 2012, 08:20 AM
I have not experienced this. What are you using?

trampledbygeese
March 8th, 2012, 08:29 AM
When I oil my scalp, I have a few extra strands fall out while I'm oiling. I'm not sure why, but I think they are already on the verge and would fall out during the next few hours anyway and the motion of the massage makes them fall out all at once.

The other option is what kind of oil you are using? It might be you have a mild sensitivity to it. If the symptom persists after you have washed it out or gets worse over time, it might be time to try a different oil. This can happen with a food sensitivity (edit: but not only foodstuff). For example, I have a strong reaction to petroleum products - so if I used mineral oil on my scalp, I would get huge blisters and big clumps of hair falling out. But that's an extreme case.

Essential oils not diluted enough can cause irritation to the skin, according to the shop where I get mine. Could this be a factor?

Another thought: pesticides and herbicides can cause damage when in contact with the skin and I've seen the bald patch on one farmer who spilt some on his arm once. (edit: although much milder in the finished product - the same chemicals are usually present) Perhaps switch to an organic oil or a oil from another source.

Just tossing ideas out there.

I've only been oiling my hair and scalp a few weeks now but I've noticed a drastic reduction in the amount of shedding over time. I've gone from fistfuls of hair to barely ten hairs when I wash, and I haven't had to clean the hairs out of my brush since I started oiling - use to be daily. Don't know why this is.

pepperminttea
March 8th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Could it not just be massaging the oil in is loosening hairs that would have been shed anyway? :) I normally shed a little when I massage my scalp with anything, but it has yet to change my ponytail circumference.

Chetanlaiho
March 8th, 2012, 09:56 AM
I shed more when I oil my scalp too, it seems to get used to it (I do weekly castor oilings) but I think I might shed more while washing it out as well. Wondering if I'm doing more harm than good :/

Silverbrumby
March 8th, 2012, 12:22 PM
My scalp hates have oil or even monistat on it. I shed way more so I'm not doing it anymore.

Flossiebell
March 8th, 2012, 12:26 PM
I'm currently using dead sea natural mineral shampoo which is basically minerals with olive, palm, coconut and vegetable oils. This is the first shampoo where I don't have fall out when washing. I cannot use this all the time though as it makes my hair a bit greasy as there is no 'chemical detergents' in it.

Although I was told ages ago that you are not supposed to oil or condition your scalp as it causes 'slip' and makes your hair come out easier or something?

spidermom
March 8th, 2012, 01:19 PM
The only thing I can think of is that you're smothering your scalp in the oil, but really - hair doesn't just "slip" out of the follicle before it's ready and the root ball shrivels. Before that, you have to use traction to pull it out.

Try not oiling your scalp; see how that works for you. I wait until my scalp area gets oily with its own sebum, then I oil my length. The next day or an hour or so later, I wash my scalp. I don't know how much hair I lose. A few I catch, roll up, and drop into the waste basket, but judging by the hair ball I have to dredge out of the shower drain 2-3 times per year, I shed a lot more than I catch.

jennescence
March 15th, 2012, 02:20 PM
The only thing I can think of is that you're smothering your scalp in the oil, but really - hair doesn't just "slip" out of the follicle before it's ready and the root ball shrivels. Before that, you have to use traction to pull it out.

Try not oiling your scalp; see how that works for you. I wait until my scalp area gets oily with its own sebum, then I oil my length. The next day or an hour or so later, I wash my scalp. I don't know how much hair I lose. A few I catch, roll up, and drop into the waste basket, but judging by the hair ball I have to dredge out of the shower drain 2-3 times per year, I shed a lot more than I catch.

Your hair is very beautiful so i am going to try doing what you do:)