PDA

View Full Version : argh growing out hair...need advice

dd22
March 7th, 2012, 07:14 PM
I am 9 months since horrbile cut where the front got all messed up...

Its now just passed eyebrows in front (with stupid shorter hairs underneath)...

I havent cut it at all since...but now the back and sides are getting quite long (sides are to my mouth...back is to collar)

Needless to say, its in an awkward stage still...and was wondering if i should get everything but the front cut so that
the front can be the longest part? Will it make growing out
easier? Or am I just going to set myself back even further?

turtlelover
March 7th, 2012, 07:56 PM
If the thought of making the back shorter upsets you, I would just wear headbands and try to forget about it for awhile. Cutting the back might just make you feel worse about the situation.

skaempfer
March 7th, 2012, 11:27 PM
That's a toss-up, dd. the real question is, can you get a reference for a decent hairdresser who will understand what you want and give it to you.

There are both kinds of growers, here, the ones who get it trimmed and shaped along the way, and the ones who just let it grow. We all get there in the end, but some are really unhappy with the shaggy periods. Up to you, of course, but get a good reference if you decide to go for a shaping.

Good luck, and welcome to lhc.

Lamb
March 8th, 2012, 12:09 AM
It would be helpful to know your hairtype. Is your hair straight or wavy/curly? Do you have fine hair, or coarse, or medium?
I ask this because curlies "get away" with irregularities better than those with straight hair. Also, if you have curly hair and it reaches your eyebrows in the front, it's probably a lot longer stretched out.

Anyway, I would not cut the sides and back so the front is the longest part. That would be way too short, I think. I'd get a 0.5" trim from the back only (the back always seems to grow faster, mostly because of the shape of the skull), and leave the sides and the front alone. Do this every 3 months, and things will even out eventually!

But again - hairtype is a big deciding factor here...

MonaLisa
March 8th, 2012, 01:25 AM
A picture pehaps?

If you have patience and nerves to deal with that weird stage, it's ok, it could turn into pretty and fun layers as it grows some more :)

If you decide to cut it, make sure you only cut the back, and not much..

Mesmerise
March 8th, 2012, 02:20 AM
I also think a picture would help :)

It depends how much short hair you have at the front, in my opinion.

I think I would probably keep the back shorter while growing out in order to avoid the mullet look! But I wouldn't necessarily cut it right back.

Again though, it really depends on how your hair actually looks as it is!

joflakes
March 8th, 2012, 02:26 AM
I know this feeling all too well. I've been growing my hair out for 10 months now from an extremely short pixie cut.
I personally cut the back bit off so that it didn't look too mullety. If you like a shaggy look however, it might be worth just leaving it. My hair now just looks like a normal (ish) bob.
I promise it gets better!

BeckyAH
March 8th, 2012, 07:52 AM
When I grow my hair out from a short layered cut, I always keep the back cut to the hairline (short!) until the top catches up with it. This lets me grow it out all one length. So that is what I would do. (Mullets and layers are both bad for me) but I can't tell you what you should do.