PDA

View Full Version : Sleep cap, satin pillow, or both?

Long_hair_bear
March 7th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Howdy do all! :cheese:

In light of my recent knots at the top of my hair each morning, I bought a satin sleep cap at Walmart (only $2, yay! :happydance:) I don't have a satin pillowcase. What I want to know is do you use a sleep cap AND a satin pillow case or just one or the other? Thanks!

Madora
March 7th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Due to my Raynaud's I don't use either but hey, you're doubly protected if you use both..so I'd say go for it!

Vanille_
March 7th, 2012, 05:08 PM
I only use the cap and I wake up with just about zero tangles.

ladyfey
March 7th, 2012, 05:12 PM
I got a sleep cap at Walmart and it broke my hair off all around the hairline where the edge of the cap went around. I ended up with what looked like sideburns due to broken off hair! So I switched to a cheap satin pillowcase, much better for me!

Messyhair
March 7th, 2012, 05:18 PM
?? I'm confuzzled...

I use both, but I have severe Raynaud's...? Not sure what the link is. Anyway, I still use the pillowcase to help protect my nape hair that pokes out from the sleep cap. I get both my sleep caps and pillowcases at Sally Beauty Supply.

shirohane
March 7th, 2012, 06:01 PM
I sleep on a satin pillowcase but still get some tangles but nothing that can't be fixed within a minute of combing.

I haven't tried the sleeping cap yet though.

annamoonfairy
March 7th, 2012, 06:03 PM
I use a silk cap that is not tight at all and has a wide band.

LittleOrca
March 7th, 2012, 06:49 PM
I just use the cap. It seems to work well for me. Mr. Orca has a satin case too, since his hair hardly stays in his cap.

Miss Catrina
March 7th, 2012, 06:51 PM
I just use a pillowcase. The cap never stayed on my head, and looked comical.

KN2384
March 7th, 2012, 07:03 PM
I started using the pillowcase and I like it. Haven't tried the cap yet.

jeanniet
March 7th, 2012, 07:09 PM
I use both. I just like the way my head moves on silk/satin. I have the same sleep cap you do, and haven't had any issues with broken hairs, although to be fair I always have short baby hairs floating around so I probably wouldn't be able to tell anyway. ;)

KwaveT
March 7th, 2012, 10:09 PM
No sleep cap, I do use satin pillowcase and satin sheets.

princessp
March 7th, 2012, 10:17 PM
I use both because sometimes my cap falls off at night. Plus the pillowcase is good for your skin too (it is supposed to prevents wrinkles). :)

DreadfulWoman
March 7th, 2012, 10:40 PM
I use both most nights. Then if I don't feel like wearing the cap (or I tear it off in my sleep) I'm still covered.

BBdck1
March 8th, 2012, 04:31 PM
I use a satin pillowcase and sheet set. Might look into a cap because sometime my hair is down when I sleep and rub against my clothes.

Sillage
March 8th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Silk satin pillow case! A sleep cap would drive me crazy :rolling:

jacqueline101
March 8th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I use the cap only.

Amber_Maiden
March 8th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Just want to caution you about cheap stain or silk pillowcases- sometimes they aren't PURE satin or silk. Just a heads up.

I use a satin pillowcase, as well as a silk night cap.

jessa
March 8th, 2012, 05:56 PM
satin case, no cap :)

xXfaitheyx
March 8th, 2012, 07:10 PM
I like just the silk sleep cap! though, maybe a pillowcase because that thing likes to ship off in the night.. :mad:

dwell_in_safety
March 8th, 2012, 07:21 PM
I just use a pillowcase. I saw the $2 caps at Walmart and was tempted to buy one tonight, but I already get zero tangles from pillowcase + wearing hair up.

Mrsbaybeegurl
March 8th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Just want to caution you about cheap stain or silk pillowcases- sometimes they aren't PURE satin or silk. Just a heads up.

I have been looking into using a satin or silk pillowcase too but was definitely noticing most said they were 100% polyester silk...like wth is that lol. They had really good ratings on amazon even though they aren't authentic silk/satin. Does this matter? :confused:

I don't want to buy one that just looks real but doesn't have the benefits, if that's the case (no pun intended) than I'm better off spending money on the real thing but IF it doesn't matter than I'de like to get away with the cheaper versions lol

Anyone have ideas on this??

BritHair
March 8th, 2012, 07:42 PM
I have been interested in utilizing a silk pillow Case but have not really pursued it very hard. I sleep with my hair up in a top knot bun and I rarely have any tangles. Still, I would like to give it a try.

Friesiangirl
March 8th, 2012, 07:46 PM
?? I'm confuzzled...

I use both, but I have severe Raynaud's...? Not sure what the link is. Anyway, I still use the pillowcase to help protect my nape hair that pokes out from the sleep cap. I get both my sleep caps and pillowcases at Sally Beauty Supply.

Perhaps she has a lot of face sensitivity to cold, and the silk/satin materials are notorious for being a bit less heat absorbent and staying cold at night.

I had a really nice red satin pillow case but after almost 4 years it's nearing the end of it's life. I'm in the market for a new one!

=)

Hayley

Sillage
March 8th, 2012, 08:02 PM
They had really good ratings on amazon even though they aren't authentic silk/satin. Does this matter? :confused:

It matters if you tend to "sleep hot". Polyester satin is not absorbent and gets hot if you get hot. Silk satin is very absorbent and will help keep you cool. It really doesn't matter to your hair which one you get.

And just to be clear silk and polyester are fibers (what the threads are made of) and satin is a weave (how the threads are arranged). :D

Perhaps she has a lot of face sensitivity to cold, and the silk/satin materials are notorious for being a bit less heat absorbent and staying cold at night.

Actually silk is quite warm! Its absorbent nature helps keep it from getting sweaty but it's certainly warmer than a cotton pillowcase.

Mrsbaybeegurl
March 8th, 2012, 08:56 PM
It matters if you tend to "sleep hot". Polyester satin is not absorbent and gets hot if you get hot. Silk satin is very absorbent and will help keep you cool. It really doesn't matter to your hair which one you get.

And just to be clear silk and polyester are fibers (what the threads are made of) and satin is a weave (how the threads are arranged). :D

Actually silk is quite warm! It's absorbent nature helps keep it from getting sweaty but it's certainly warmer than a cotton pillowcase.

Thanks for the information Sillage! I really didn't know too much about silk pillowcases except that they are good for hair. And also never really knew the difference between silk and satin either (hand palms face!) LOL

gthlvrmx
March 8th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Hoorah for the new satin product! Satin and silk help so much in my opinion.

Sillage
March 8th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the information Sillage! I really didn't know too much about silk pillowcases except that they are good for hair. And also never really knew the difference between silk and satin either (hand palms face!) LOL

Happy to help, happy to help :D

I'm a big ol' fabric nerd so this is one of my favorite topics.

DreadfulWoman
March 8th, 2012, 09:54 PM
I have been looking into using a satin or silk pillowcase too but was definitely noticing most said they were 100% polyester silk...like wth is that lol. They had really good ratings on amazon even though they aren't authentic silk/satin. Does this matter? :confused:

I don't want to buy one that just looks real but doesn't have the benefits, if that's the case (no pun intended) than I'm better off spending money on the real thing but IF it doesn't matter than I'de like to get away with the cheaper versions lol

Anyone have ideas on this??

Mine cost $3 and is polyester, and the pillowcase is polyester too (though it cost a bit more), and they work just fine for me. The only important thing is that they reduce friction, so anything slippery/ shiny should do the trick.

As others have said, the polyester is probably going to be a little warmer and possibly sweatier, but I say get the cheap version and see if it works for you. If you decide it doesn't you can always opt for the pricier version later on.

sycamoreboutiqu
March 10th, 2012, 01:00 AM
I have been using a "Silk charmuse" pillowcase for about 6 months now and like it. Got the Walmart "satin" (cheapo) sleep cap and tried it last night. Worked ok, came halfway off once in the night because I had it above my bangs. Didn't really bother me and hair was tangle free though loose in the cap. I can see it being intolerable though once the weather heats up and the air conditioning can't keep up (if it is a humid bad summer).

sfgirl
March 10th, 2012, 01:07 AM

I just want to point out, silk is a fiber that it's made out of while satin is a weave, and is how the fabric is made. I don't know if it's only silk that's good for your hair, but a satin weave can be out of anything. I'm sure a slippery like fabric would be fine, like rayon or acetate, though they would fall apart faster.\
Sorry if this is weird, I've just been studying for my midterm for fabric and fiber class today hehe

Long_hair_bear
March 10th, 2012, 05:51 AM
My $2 cap from Walmart seems to be working fine. I've worn it for 3 nights now and the best part is that I wake up with zero frizz. Normally, when I wake up, my hair is frizzy and all over the place, but no longer. :)