PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying and diagnosing for the first time ever

Charasy
March 7th, 2012, 04:45 PM
So, I've decided to try and get a clear diagnosis for my hair, and I'm going to buy a clarifying shampoo, and ingredients for SMT (because I think my hair needs moisture - I read somewhere that split ends are usually a sign of lack of moisture. Is that correct?) tomorrow.

I've read Kirins' Hair Diagnostic Tips, and that's where I have a few questions. First of all - What's a Protein Pack? And where might I get one if I think I need it? :) I live in Denmark, so rather a type of shop, than a specific US chain would help me find it.

And secondly - What does the Aloe gel in SMT do for the hair? Is it very important, or can I skip it for now? It's really expensive here in DK.

Thanks! :)

swearnsue
March 7th, 2012, 06:17 PM
For protein, if your hair needs it, can be found in Mane N' Tail brand shampoo and conditioner. Some people use eggs as a conditioner or hair wash. I've never done the SMT thing so can't help with the aloe vera question.

Mairéad
March 7th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Aloe is a humecant and it has other soothing and healing properties as well. Honey, however, is also a humecant so I think trying just honey would be fine to start with.

Protein packs can be found at beauty shops and probably salons as well.

HintOfMint
March 7th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Good luck!

I do SMTs without aloe regularly and it turns out great!
Protein packs can be found at salon stores and beauty supply stores.

Charasy
March 8th, 2012, 01:13 AM
Thank you for all the answers! :) I'm excited to try it out! I'll let you know how it turnes out.

Charasy
March 9th, 2012, 05:47 AM
I did it! :) I washed my hair three times with the claryfying shampoo, and then slept with SMT in my hair overnight, my head wrapped in a platic bag. I washed it out this morning, and I think my hair liked it a lot! It is now soft, and was very easy to detangle with my fingers once it had dried.

Also, I was able to use coconut oil in my hair for the first time, without it getting all stiff and weird. I guess the oil usually reacted to the cones on my hair, from using Moroccan Oil. Who'd have guessed :D

My hair still seems a little dry though, so I would be very grateful if you could let me know how often it's okay to do the SMT?

And how often should I clarify? Every time I've used cones, so my hair can absorb moisture? (I read it blocks out moisture as well as keeping it in? It's a little confusing...)

Thanks again! :) I think it will be very good for my hair, that I found this site! ^^ I can't wait for it to get longer and prettier and overall in better shape! :eyebrows: