PDA

View Full Version : Curly: how do you wear your hair overnight?

jackie_brown
March 7th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Hi!
I was thinking about a way to 'style' my hair when i go to bed.
I often wear my hair down, but i noticed that probably my hair got damaged (ends above all) because of the rubbing on the pillow :(

So: is there any hairstyle that 'protect' ends against rubbing but preserve curls?

Thanks! :)

kitschy
March 7th, 2012, 12:32 PM
I "pineapple." Like this:

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPNWLQ6AYY4lFLaNncs0GAvVTuuj_hS tzlYbPMNkunFxDv_Yu5

kitschy
March 7th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Here is a link describing it.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/hairstyles/how-to-pineapple-your-hair

jacqueline101
March 7th, 2012, 12:40 PM
I second the pine apple.

curlsgalore
March 7th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I don't pineapple because my hair is too long. So I make a loose bun on top of my head and put a scrunching loosely over it or secure it with a flexi8. I also have a satin pillow case which helps tremendously.

DancingQueen
March 7th, 2012, 12:44 PM
I just flip my hair over my pillow, but I don't know how it would work for curlier hair. :)

darkrose
March 7th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Silk sleeping cap. No sleeping cap = forest of split ends of me. :/

Kinkycurlygurl
March 7th, 2012, 01:56 PM
You could try making a loose braid and using a sleep cap or satin pillow case.

HappyHair87
March 7th, 2012, 01:56 PM
I either pineapple it and sleep on my satin pillowcase or I just smoosh it all in my bonnet and hit the hay. Lol!

coldclarity
March 7th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Either loose or a really loose braid without pulling to many of the curls out. It depends how long it is since I washed and how much of the curl I'm trying to save, though I lose a lot of curl just from sleeping on it... I think I'll be braiding it a lot more as it gets longer.

terylenerose
March 7th, 2012, 03:49 PM
My hair is still a tiny bit curly after I braid it, but I have not yet found or tried to find a style that keeps all my curls intact. It's not really one of my major concerns. Sorry!

curlsgalore
March 7th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Actually I remember that sometimes to preserve my curls even more, I will "pineapple" my hair and use small claw clips to gently scrunch the remaining length of my hair on top of my head, this works really well.

Kiwiwi
March 7th, 2012, 04:00 PM
I carefully make 2 pigtail braids, not disrupting my curl pattern as much as possible. Then I sleep on a satin pillowcase. And the next day I take the braids out. Rearrange my curls, spritz a bit of water on them and I have good second day curls :-)

curlsgalore
March 7th, 2012, 04:02 PM
I carefully make 2 pigtail braids, not disrupting my curl pattern as much as possible. Then I sleep on a satin pillowcase. And the next day I take the braids out. Rearrange my curls, spritz a bit of water on them and I have good second day curls :-)

Your hair is so pretty!!

Clem_Dela
March 7th, 2012, 04:04 PM
I recently invested in a silk headscarf. It was only 3 bucks at Sally beauty supply. and it works WONDERS! especially if you oil, loosely braid and tuck it all in the scarf and somehow manage to keep the thing on all night. my hair was incredibly soft, curls were loosened, but i still had wurls and curls to spare. it was delightful!

CurlyCap
March 7th, 2012, 04:09 PM
In a top knot unless I want big hair the next day. Then I just put in a light leave-in conditioner and sleep with it down.

Kiwiwi
March 7th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Your hair is so pretty!!

Aww, thank you! *blush*

It's all because of The Curly Girl Method. So glad I found out about that! :cheese:
Well, and having pretty much virgin hair, I guess ^_^

katsrevenge
March 7th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Loose braid or a pineapple.

But I loose most of the curl no matter what I do.

Fairlight63
March 7th, 2012, 06:33 PM
I put my hair in a knot bun, then put on a sleep cap. When I take my hair down in the morning it has nice curls. A loose braid with the ends curled, then put on the sleep cap works also for me.
I used to twist it in a cinn. bun then put on the s. cap but the weight of my hair would twist the cap around on my head & give me weird curls as my hair got longer it did not work out so good.

cwarren
March 7th, 2012, 08:03 PM
I put my hair in a very loose bun on the top of my head and cover it with a satin cap.

CurlyCap
March 7th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Also, I co-wash at night then put a thick leave-in.

When the hair goes into a top knot, the outer layers dry but the inside curls stay moist. In the morning, take the scrunchie out, shake your head, and voila! curls. Maybe a bit of a mist to reform the curls around the hairline since they were pulled to make the bun.

Just wanted to add this because, even though its a fairly tight bun, I have great curls the next day. A lose bun on dry curls never worked for me. My curls are always squished out of shape the next day.

pes3108
March 7th, 2012, 10:23 PM
I just flip my hair over my pillow, but I don't know how it would work for curlier hair. :)

i do the same and it works for me :P i find that if i do anything else, it messes up my curls for the next day!

Impulsive
March 7th, 2012, 10:59 PM
I've washed my hair, made a loose ponytail on top of my head, flipped the ends above me, gone to sleep, and then woken up with perfect second day curls. I'm serious: perfect curls! I get many compliments doing this and no one believes me when I tell them it's second day hair.

melusine963
March 8th, 2012, 12:25 AM
I braid mine reasonably tightly.

AnimaSola3o4
March 8th, 2012, 12:38 AM
I don't pineapple because my hair is too long. So I make a loose bun on top of my head and put a scrunching loosely over it or secure it with a flexi8. I also have a satin pillow case which helps tremendously.

What she said. I haven't been able to pineapple since around BSL. At that point, (maybe even shorter) it becomes less protective as your ends still rub on the pillow.

I do a loose bun on top of my head with a scrunchie too. Sometimes I braid, but obviously that doesn't preserve curl lol. The loose bun doesn't really preserve them for me anyway though.

One other thing that I keep trying, despite my natural ability to take it off in my sleep - is a satin sleep cap. Walmart sells them, they have a tendency to slide around with me, i think it might be that my hair is too heavy, pulling it down. But get one of those AND a satin pillowcase, you're golden cuz it's satin on satin!

Terra
March 8th, 2012, 12:55 AM
I do a loose french twist and secure it with a big bobby pin or a flexi8.
In the next morning I damp my hair anyway and but some leave-in in to redefine and nourish my curls. :)

Nera
March 8th, 2012, 02:38 AM
I braid it or wear it loose. In which case I have to really pay attention where my hair is. I usually try to put all my hair above my head, it seems to work.

jackie_brown
March 8th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Thank you for your contribute!
I tried pineapple last night, it works quite well even if my hair are short (from shoulder to APL), so when i took off the scrunchie i noticed they have become less curly.
When i wake up I usually spray some water and then scrunch hair with coconut oil or flaxseed gel to recover the curl pattern, my concern was to limit as much as possible the rubbing on the pillow :(
How about satin nightcap? I think it could slip away from my hair...
I would try the satin pillowcase, do you think that a similar fabric, like viscose (but cheaper) could works?