PDA

View Full Version : Avocado oil: Its smell?

white.chocolate
March 7th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Hi, everyone!

I just bought a bottle of avocado oil the other day, and when I opened it, its smell shocked me. I can describe it to smell extremely sweet and spicy, rather like a mixture of peach jelly and lychee jelly, but with added sweetness, if you know what I mean. Its smell is really overwhelming, nothing like the fruit itself.

I did a search on its smell, and so far I found it being nutty, or subtle, or grassy, or fatty, or spicy, or odorless. I'm worried about mine. Has anyone reported avocado oil to smell similar to what I described? The oil is pale yellow-green in color, by the way, and it's supposed to be pure avocado oil.

Thanks.

EDIT: I thought of another way to describe the scent: like gummy bears!

teal
March 7th, 2012, 12:54 PM
My avocado oil is a fairly green color.. I don't know if I'd call it yellow-green. Is yours close to the color of EVOO? Mine is much greener than that. I also don't find it has a strong scent (though I don't spend much time with my nose near the bottle, and I keep it in the fridge).

Nev
March 7th, 2012, 12:59 PM
my avocado oil is also a yellowish green. but it doesn't smell sweet. it has a very strong scent. mine isn't pure though, and it does contain perfume.

MissHair
March 7th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Mine is dark green and does smell rather bad. It could be that the acidity/oxygen levels changed after someone opened the bottle in the store. I've heard this can happen. I still continue to use mine though, despite the smell.

Melisande
March 7th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Mine is dark green and has a wonderful smell, especially if mixed with olive oil. Strong, nutty, somehow herbal. I really like it.

karli
March 7th, 2012, 03:33 PM
100 % coldpressed, yellow/green, very nice herbal/nutty smell <3

white.chocolate
March 8th, 2012, 02:00 AM
Thank you all for your responses. It's interesting that no one had experienced the same smell of avocado oil as I have. Mine isn't close to the color of EVOO - it's paler with a tint of more yellow. It doesn't smell bad at all. Just really yummy, but really nothing like herbs or nuts. Strange. I'm still contemplating whether to use my bottle.

Sundial
March 8th, 2012, 02:57 AM
Is it possible that yours is mixed with other kinds of oil? Mine is 100&#37; cold pressed avocado oil and it's kind of dark green in color with a really nutty smell

Phalaenopsis
March 8th, 2012, 03:00 AM
I use fragrance free avocado oil, the pure avocado oil was just too much for me, such a grassy, sour scent. And the fragrance free one works just as well, so I would just use the one you have :)

white.chocolate
March 8th, 2012, 03:20 AM
Is it possible that yours is mixed with other kinds of oil? Mine is 100% cold pressed avocado oil and it's kind of dark green in color with a really nutty smell

No, it's not possible because it says 100% avocado oil, and no fragrances. Maybe I should give it a try...

Johanna
March 13th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Mine is greener than olive oil with a really nutty avocado smell. I haven't actually used it on my hair though. Mines for eating.. Om nom nom. Makes an awesome salad dressing mixed in with a bit of lemon juice.

Amber_Maiden
March 13th, 2012, 09:26 AM
My avocado oil doesn't smell like that at all. it smells kind of earthy.

redtuss
March 13th, 2012, 01:29 PM
My avocado oil doesn't smell like that at all. it smells kind of earthy.

This is what mine smells like too. Very green as well. I wouldn't say it smells good, but not bad either! Doesn't stink the hair down at least..

white.chocolate
March 13th, 2012, 04:16 PM
I feel guilty for not posting an update earlier... I forgot to... I used my gummy bear avocado oil and I quite liked the results, so I'm happy. Not as good as coconut oil and jojoba oil for me though. It just still astounds me how it can smell so fruity.