PDA

View Full Version : Self-trimming tips for wavy hair?

Lippytoes
March 7th, 2012, 04:45 AM
Hi everyone!

My last actual trim was in August 2009, when my hair was APL-ish or so, a bit longer perhaps (I don't even remember :D). Since then my hair's grown to almost hip, with no trims - just S&D whenever I feel like it. I've been treating my hair well: mostly keeping it up or braided, conditioning it, babying the ends, &c.

However, lately I've been noticing an increasing number of split ends - totally egregious splits too, urgh, with the split going quite a way up the hair shaft. My ends mostly still look healthy, but I have a niggling feeling that I might need more than just a dose of S&D.

So! I wouldn't want to pay lots of money to go to a hairdresser's, and I would love to keep my fairytaling hemline or something similar, if at all possible. My mum would probably trim my hair if I asked her to, but I have a silly fear that even she might cut off too much, and make too much of a blunt cut. I really wouldn’t want to lose much length.

I know that people here use Feye’s self-trim method. How well does it work for wavy hair? And is there a way for me to keep the fairytale ends effect if I cut my hair myself? I wouldn’t want a very sharp V-cut, but I suppose something like a V might have to be done.

All experiences and helpful comments are appreciated! :flower:

(No pictures, sorry - I’m at work. My latest length pic in my album is somewhat representative of my current hair, but it’s really blurry.)

Tisiloves
March 7th, 2012, 04:52 AM
If you do a U cut method that should maintain a bit of fairy tale.

Bagginslover
March 7th, 2012, 05:10 AM
I think any cut at all will blunt your hemline to some extent, the extend will depend on the amount you cut off.

If it were me, I'd ask someone I trust fully (someone who will ONLY cut what I ask them to) and get them to cut the same amount all over. This will maintain your current hem line shape, and take off the splits. If that goes well, then maybe go on to changing your hem line if you still want to.

lapushka
March 7th, 2012, 09:07 AM
I think any cut at all will blunt your hemline to some extent, the extend will depend on the amount you cut off.

I agree with this. If you want a trim, the fairytale ends are going to get blunter ends, even though they may still be somewhat wispy. I think Feye's might more or less be okay, as long as you stick to the V shape.

jojo
March 7th, 2012, 09:59 AM
I comb mine whilst damp to make it straighter and then use a creaclip, head tipped forward, comb hair and then trim! gives me a nice straight hemline!

spidermom
March 7th, 2012, 10:59 AM
If you want to maintain fairy tale ends, I think the best method would be to section your hair in 8 or 10 sections vertically around your head, twist or loosely braid each section and snip off the splits that stick out, then maybe snip off the very longest hairs (or not, if they are undamaged). That's how I'd do it.

My wavy hair goes straighter the longer I go without washing it, so I self-trim it just before washing it. I like the U-hem Feye method for mine.

Or I go to my stylist.

Madora
March 7th, 2012, 11:32 AM
I think your hair would benefit if you sought solutions as to why such egregious splits are happening.

This might help:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

Also this:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118

Lippytoes
March 9th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Spidermom, I like your idea of sectioning and trimming just a tiny bit to try and maintain the fairytale ends. I think I'll try that, and if it goes horribly wrong, I'll either try Feye's self-trim for a U-hem, or go bawling to my mother. :D

Madora, I was exaggerating a bit when I described how egregious the splits were. :o Considering that I've only S&D'd for the past couple of years, it's actually a wonder that there aren't more splits! I've been thinking of trying catnip before though, so I think I should try it out sometime. Thanks for the links!

Annalouise
March 9th, 2012, 09:45 AM
You can cut it yourself at that length its easy. Take small sections, by running the comb down your scalp vertically, then comb that section out and pull it down between your fingers and snip off 1/4 -1/2 inch. If you do it in small sections and don't even up the sections (by cutting them all to the same length) then it should maintain the shape you already have.

Most long hair stylists do not recommend not trimming for the simple reason that splits move up the hair and you will have to cut more off that way. If you maintain the ends then you won't have that problem.

It's up to you of course.:) I grew my hair to waist not trimming it and I don't advise that because it thins out at the ends and it gets progressively more damaged. Plus, I believe, that keeping the ends healthy makes one's hair grow faster.

Also, it is rumored to be true that if you trim your hair around a full moon it will also grow faster. (I don't know if any scientific studies have shown this but this is what people testify).:)