PDA

View Full Version : So olive oil is amazing

hototogisu
March 7th, 2012, 01:46 AM
I'm doing a second Colour B4 this week, so I clarified yesterday and conditioned with a no-cone conditioner. I usually dread this, because my hair thrives on cones and feels really rough and snarled without them.

I'd read on the henna removal thread that olive oil can fade or 'loosen' henna, and I figured conventional dye is much easier to remove so I'd give it a go. I heated up around 3/4 cup regular, cheap supermarket olive oil until it was warm to the touch, rinsed my hair with warm water, squeezed out the excess, then totally soaked my hair in the oil. I covered with plastic wrap and a towel and let it soak for around half an hour before an old fashioned shampoo and condition.

My. Hair. Feels. AMAZING. I don't think it faded my dye any, but my hair feels incredibly smooth, soft and - this blows my mind - TANGLE FREE. I'd been backing off oiling my hair for a while, but I think I'll make olive oil soaks over damp hair a regular part of my routine now.

Littlewing13
March 7th, 2012, 02:32 AM
Awesome :) I got some evoo a few days ago. I'm just using it cold over dry hair overnight & its prtty good, but havent tried it heated.

Here is an interesting article on benefits of olive oil:
http://aussiesoapsupplies.com.au/Olive_oil_derivatives_prevent_hair_damage.pdf

Epi71
March 7th, 2012, 05:36 AM
I love olive oil as a pre-poo and am so glad it gave you great results!

I don't do it as often as I should, but I like to mix a couple of ounces of olive oil with a couple of ounces of raw shea butter and heat it up in a plastic bottle placed in a cup of hot water. I wet my hands with warm water and run them through my hair before applying the mix, which I leave on overnight with a plastic cap and scarf. Rinse, shampoo and condition in the morning and my hair feels great.

You've inspired me to do this tonight. :)

blondie9912
March 7th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Madora always says EVOO makes her hair tangle free, glad it worked for you! :)

PixxieStix
March 7th, 2012, 08:02 AM
I LOVE my EVOO oil treatments. They make my hair so happy, but I've yet to see any fading of my henna from them (good thing too, 'cause I don't want that!). I buy the 2 liter organic EVOO at Costco because I use it for cooking, my hair and rub it all over myself before every shower so that I have super soft skin when I'm done. Glad to see EVOO works so well for you too!

Madora
March 7th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Madora always says EVOO makes her hair tangle free, glad it worked for you! :)

blondie9912, if I said that EVOO makes my hair tangle free, I must have been drunk as an owl.

Yes, EVOO is wonderful..but for me it is not a detangler. It does provide plenty of slip when braiding, which is why I use it.

My hair always needs to be detangled, gently, with a wide tooth comb, while it is full of conditioner.

I apply EVOO to fully dry hair, let it "cook" overnight, then wash it out completely the next day.

It is wonderful stuff..but I use it sparingly (less than 1/4th of a cup).

Lamb
March 7th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Olive oil is the only oil that has ever been any good for my hair. I usually use it on dry hair, leave it on for a while (sometimes overnight, but I hate having oil patches on my pillow/face), and CO it all out.
Problem is, it's only good for deep oilings (for me) - it's virtually impossible to just lightly oil the canopy with it, it's pretty heavy stuff.

Avital88
March 7th, 2012, 08:16 AM
hmm im definately gonna try this warm as a pre poo

CastaDiva
March 7th, 2012, 08:51 AM
I agree, olive oil is absolutely amazing:) My hair loves it.

ktani
March 7th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Right thread for this reply, lol
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=2031478&postcount=52

rock007junkie
March 7th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Olive oil is great, however, I can never use it because I cannot get past the smell. I use Neelibhringadi oil which stinks to high heavens but olive oil for some reason makes me feel sick.