PDA

View Full Version : Castor oil darkens hair?

icallitbliss
March 7th, 2012, 01:02 AM
I've been considering starting to use castor oil to help with hair growth, but I heard that it darkens the hair. I don't want that at all, as I already feel my natural color is dark enough.

Can anyone confirm this?

icallitbliss
March 7th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Anyone? :(

rock007junkie
March 7th, 2012, 12:25 PM
I don't think it does. It may give you the illusion of being darker when oiled but I don't think it does.

jacqueline101
March 7th, 2012, 12:45 PM
I don't think it would darken your hair.

Vampyria
March 7th, 2012, 01:12 PM
I used it for a couple of months and have also heard from that it darkens hair, so I stopped with the use. But I'm not sure if my hair got any darker. A hairstylist told me that one of her costumers uses coconut oil and it helps her a lot with the hair growth.

Cleopatra18
March 7th, 2012, 01:39 PM
I don't think it does. It may give you the illusion of being darker when oiled but I don't think it does.
^^^^^This.

Five of Five
March 7th, 2012, 03:23 PM
I used castor oil on my roots for a few months for the same reason. I have light blonde hair and it did not darken it at all. Of course, YMMV.

Oil (including sebum) that hasn't been completely washed out can make your hair look darker than it is. When I use a clarifying shampoo, my hair always looks significantly lighter. IMO, since castor oil is difficult to wash out for some people, I think that build-up may be the cause of its darkening effects.

einna
March 7th, 2012, 03:48 PM
I have heard this to, but I don't know if it is true. I have used it 3 or 4 times on dark blonde hair, and haven't noticed any difference. I think it is more the illusion as mentioned above, and the fact that moisturised hair will appear darker.

HollywoodRouge
March 8th, 2012, 01:40 AM
i think it only darkens chemically lightened hair, not natural colours, as is strips the colour or something like that.

blondecat
March 8th, 2012, 02:51 AM
I've used for years, it has never darkened my hair.

Roscata
March 8th, 2012, 03:01 AM
I didn't notice any darkening when I used it, and if it did darken hair you can cancel out that effect by washing your hair, it's not a hair dye.

skyblue
March 8th, 2012, 03:03 AM
I've been using castor oil since I joined more then a year ago I haven't noticed any darkening
all my greys are still grey lol I use it before a wash once a week, sometime over night and other times for a few hrs to a whole day

Avital88
March 8th, 2012, 03:10 AM
it only lightens my hair as it takes out the henna/indigo