PDA

View Full Version : A mini-chop. At last.

Anywhere
March 6th, 2012, 02:40 PM
ETA: More photos.

So after a whole year of debating over if I want to cut off a large portion of my hair or not, I decided on a whim today that I should do it. My hair is too thin and I feel so bad about it that I never wear it down. I had to do it today, because if I waited two weeks I would still want it long, and then I would just go back and forth between "I want to cut my hair so I can thicken it up and feel good about it but then it will be short and i'll feel bleh" and "I don't want to cut it because I like it long but it looks like crap and so I don't like it."

So much for no trims in 2012, and so much for classic before 2013. I plan on growing back to TB and maintaining there for the rest of this year.

So pictures! I cut off 3.5", but as you can see by this picture it's obviously not much hair at all (and obviously, it is in TERRIBLE condition.)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4113&pictureid=128073

And then the before/afters:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4113&pictureid=128071

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4113&pictureid=128072

And.. it's practically blunt (blunt to me at least)!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4113&pictureid=128074
I know it still needs a ton more cut off, but I just don't have the heart to cut it super short. I like it here. It's still thin, but the ends are fresh again and it doesn't feel that much shorter. I guess since the ends were so thin they didn't feel like much anyway.:rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm pleased and wanted to share.:cheese:

ETA: Wurly compare photos!
Before and after, respectively:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4113&pictureid=126134http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4113&pictureid=128097

gthlvrmx
March 6th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Your hair looks so lovely! I think you cant even tell it's shorter at all on first look, just thicker! :D You have awesome hair! :D

lapushka
March 6th, 2012, 03:06 PM
You didn't lose that much length, so don't feel bad, and it looks thicker now too. :)

spidermom
March 6th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Nice! Now if you just do regular tiny trims, we may see that thickness moving down.

Cirafly24
March 6th, 2012, 03:18 PM
It looks great! It made a big difference and your hair looks very healthy :D

Bunnysaur
March 6th, 2012, 03:22 PM
It made a huge difference in the thickness of your hemline. To me, it doesn't even look like you lost very much length at all because it's so much thicker now.

swearnsue
March 6th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Your hair looks great! 3.5 inches sounds like a lot but when I see your before and after pictures your hair looks almost as long but a lot thicker. Good job on the trim too.

kidari
March 6th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Thanks for sharing! I felt the same way about my hair, it looked really thinned out and in bad shape and I had to cut shorter. Your hair looks much thicker and not that much shorter at all. I agree if you maintain there the thickness will travel down and it won't feel so traumatic to chop it much shorter.

Amber_Maiden
March 6th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Looks very pretty!!!

einna
March 6th, 2012, 04:01 PM
I think you made a good call. The taper looks more.. hmm fluid(?) now. Losing damage (I try to think of it that way) is always a good feeling, even though it comes with a price. Love ypur haircolour btw. :)

Sammich
March 6th, 2012, 04:04 PM
It looks longer in the after pic!

Beautiful result. :)

Amazinggrace
March 6th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Your hair looks much healthier and thicker now. It is beautiful, I don't think you will need to cut more. I think with dusting every couple months, the thickness will move down.

jackie_brown
March 6th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Hi!
I would cut muuuch more (at the height of the 2nd white line of your sweater), so you would have a very very full hemline.
But i know that cutting so much lenght is a heartache for us :)

Happy growing!;)

dragaica
March 6th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Looks so much better - and I don't feel like you lost any of your lenght - I know you did - but it's better :p

jacqueline101
March 6th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Your hair is very pretty and your hair is thicker at the ends.

Annibelle
March 6th, 2012, 05:00 PM
It looks good, but remember-- when you wear your hair wavy/curly, your hair in particular looks BEAUTIFUL fairytaled. :blossom: I wouldn't cut more than you already have. Looking at your curly pics in your album just makes me fall in love-- in those pics, you're my hair idol! :heart:

Anywhere
March 6th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Thanks all. I do plan on microtrimming, at least a couple mm every month or so for the time being, until it hits TB again. Then I'm trimming what I grow per month. ;)

I'm not chopping it all the way up to where the thickness is because, well. I need hair so I can still use my hairsticks, and I hated hated hated short hair on me. Besides, my hair looks fine when it's natural and not straightened like it is for these photos.

Here's a picture from my washed and now dry hair. Might need to turn it into a U hemline instead.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4113&pictureid=128097

Compared to my February (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4113&pictureid=126134) wurl pic.

auroraclio
March 6th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Looks great, especially in the wurly pics your hair is very beautiful!

annamoonfairy
March 6th, 2012, 07:44 PM
You have beautiful hair : )

skraprchik
March 6th, 2012, 07:52 PM
It looks wonderful when natural. It doesn't even appear that you cut that much, but the effect is perfect.

Kira94
March 6th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Wow, your hair looks gorgeous wurly! I hope mine looks like that at that length! :D

battles
March 6th, 2012, 08:29 PM
I am so jealous of your wurlies. :p Your hair looks lovely.

Valorie
March 6th, 2012, 08:39 PM
I think it looks really great, and the curly after pic looks way cool.:cool:

dwell_in_safety
March 6th, 2012, 08:42 PM
I agree with you that a U hemline may be in order; it tends to suit wurlies better than blunt does, in general. Either way, I really like the way your hair is now. The soft fairytale ends that aren't too fairytale are just beautiful.

Macaroni
March 6th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Your hair looks terrific! Isn't it amazing what a trim can do to thicken the ends?

melusine963
March 7th, 2012, 12:03 AM
I thinnk you made the right decision. It's definitely a lot thicker at the ends now, and has a nice texture to it. I wish mine could be as cooperative!

AndreaPetrea
March 7th, 2012, 01:43 AM
I, too, think you made the right decision. Your hair is SO beautiful! :thud:

katienoonan
March 7th, 2012, 02:14 AM
Beautiful hair! Xx

Tisiloves
March 7th, 2012, 03:49 AM
I love your wurly photos, you look like a mermaid.

Lissandria
March 7th, 2012, 04:20 AM
It looks to me like your thickness will travel down your length with tiny trims. It looks very pretty and much thicker!

Chetanlaiho
March 7th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Well hey there hair twin who had the exact same issue I have but managed to do something about it xD I've been telling myself to do this for about half a year now but I can't seem to gather the courage >_< technically my longest ends are about tailbone but they are frighteningly thin.

It looks great btw! Very encouraging =)

blondie9912
March 7th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Great improvement :)

From looking at your first wurly pic you would think that you need to cut back to BSL to have a perfectly thick hemline, and after the trim it looks like you would only need to cut to waist to maximize thickness! Funny how that works

PixxieStix
March 7th, 2012, 07:25 AM
I think you did the right thing for yourself, it might not have been a "huge" chunk of hair, but it certainly has improved the look tremendously! Best of luck with trimming and maintaining that hemline, I know you'll get it thicker! LOVE the whirly/curly texture by the way, soooo pretty!

CarpeDM
March 7th, 2012, 07:56 AM
I think you did a pretty good job! Looks lovely :) and I especially like the curls!