PDA

View Full Version : Dry Shampoo- friend or foe?

milkyway
March 6th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Lovely LHC members,

I am torn..On the one hand dry shampoo helps in promoting less frequent washes and gives amazing volume, but on the other hand it is not natural and I am worried it may actually be bad for my scalp and hair as a result.

I would really appreciate any thoughts or experiences whether you are a frequent user, an occasional user or are against dry shampoo in hair care..

:shrug:

CSallaround
March 6th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I am kind of in the same boat, as I love how dry shampoo helps me go longer without washing. I used to use it several times a week with great results, but since I joined LHC I haven't been using it as much for the same reason as you mention.
All I can say though, is use it if you like it, or try some natural alternatives.
You can use babypowder, baking powder or cocoa powder instead. I haven't tried babypowder but the other 2 work fine. The cocoa doesn't smell good after a while though (just my opinion) and you might want to consider that it can color your pillowcase.
:)

Tota
March 6th, 2012, 02:18 PM
You can also try corn starch if you would like something more natural.

I was using dry shampoo weekly for years before joining TLHC. But I was never growing out my hair to be long before. Now I'm really trying to be careful not to use so much products. But I still use it occasionally. Sometimes I don't have time to wash my hair properly because I only airdry my hair and that takes up to three hours so I just use dry shampoo. Much less than I used to though.

littleizz
March 6th, 2012, 02:30 PM
I've never used commercial dry shampoo just because I haven't wanted to spend the money - but I've toyed around with some natural recipes and now use only corn starch!! I just put a pinch in the palm of my hand, dip the tips of my fingers in it and shake it through my hair, usually I only need it at my temples and hairline, but sometimes I'll run it through my bangs if they're greasy from being in my face. I just rub/fluff it through and then BBB, works like a charm and doesn't leave any white residue like baby powder used to :)

HintOfMint
March 6th, 2012, 10:06 PM
I use unsweetened cocoa powder and it works like a charm! I do have to be careful to brush it out thoroughly because it is still a bit light against my black hair and it does show up a bit on my scalp.

I've never tried commercial dry shampoos, but just letting you know, there are "natural" alternatives (that are also much cheaper!)

milkyway
March 7th, 2012, 01:51 AM
I was always too afraid that natural ingredients such as baby powder, corn starch or cocoa powder would get cakey (what a nightmare that would be!!).
But may try them now that I know that people have actually tried and tested that method..Thank you :)

ravenreed
March 7th, 2012, 02:08 AM
I have used dry shampoos at least once or twice a week for a couple years now and I just recently hit classic. I switch between Batiste spray and silk powder. I like the way Batiste leaves my hair better, but it does leave my scalp feeling a little gunky. The silk powder works on my scalp the same way it does on my face, it just absorbs the oil and seems to fade away. However it is more likely to cause tangles if it gets on my length. Either way, I haven't noticed any residual dryness or other problems from either the Batiste or the silk powder.

Arya
March 7th, 2012, 02:09 AM
rice flour, wheat flour, cornstarch, baking powder. All these things have been put on my scalp.

Littlewing13
March 7th, 2012, 02:18 AM
This is an awesome thread, thanks! I wondered about this myself. Might go raid the cuboard

hototogisu
March 8th, 2012, 02:05 AM
I use spray on dry shampoos all the time and I don't have any problem with them. I find they're a really easy, non-damaging way to get volume in my hair, plus they help me stretch washes.

PorkChop
March 8th, 2012, 02:24 AM
Friend of the fringe :)

BlondieHepburn
March 20th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Just made another batch of my own dry shampoo recipe with equal parts arrowroot powder and kaolin clay, and a few drops of essential oils. This recipe is grand and it lasts forever. I love it!!