PDA

View Full Version : Temporary colour for dark hair that definitely completely rinses out

fridgee
March 6th, 2012, 11:45 AM
I'm interested in using a temporary dye just to change things up a bit. I've read about manic panic and seen some of the lovely results achieved on dark hair, but have also read of people that have found that manic panic never completely rinsed out and left a sheen on their hair. Does anyone have any suggestions for a temporary dye that would show up on my hair colour but that I could count on definitely rinsing completely out my hair? Reds and purples preferred! :)

Magdalene
March 6th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Colored hairspray?

fridgee
March 6th, 2012, 02:31 PM
I used coloured hairspray in school and it made my hair feel HORRIBLE that's before I'd seen the pictures of hairsprayed hair under the microscope *shudder* To make matters worse the colour never even showed up on my dark hair! :(

I guess when I say temporary I mean not permanent. I don't mind if it takes a few weeks to wash out, as long as in the end it really will totally wash out.

Seeshami
March 6th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Crayola washable markers.

ETA: I am not being a silly, I am being serious. Any non-toxic washable marker will change your hair color till washed or exposed to water. I did rainbow bangs for crazy hair days this way all the time. People would be amazed the next day because I would no longer have rainbow hair.

amberpotamus
March 6th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Those who've had Manic Panic that wouldn't wash all the way out probably have a common factor--porous hair, whether naturally or from chemical or heat damage. Unless your hair is particularly porous, it's unlikely that the pigment would penetrate deeply enough to stain permanently after one use... And red pigment is rather known for its lack of staying power (outside of henna). Repeated application can also cause permanent staining, but I wouldn't think virgin hair that isnt particularly pourous would be very likely to be stained permanently from one application.
That said, it's not entirely outside the realm of the physically possible. Just rather improbable.

MandyBeth
March 6th, 2012, 09:49 PM
MP washes all the way out on CK, ask he has limited damage and uses shampoo. MP on J stays due to CO washing and her highly damaged hair. For me, damage with lighter hair - dark ash blonde to light ash brown - with shampoo, MP stays 3-4 weeks.

Kool-aid might work, but that tended to last nearly as long as MP.

fridgee
March 7th, 2012, 10:47 AM
I've seen other people use coloured markers and fair haired girls at school used to use them to great effect (although they did permanently stain my niece's hair pink!) But the colours don't show up on my hair colour, it's too dark.

I must admit I am pretty tempted by the manic panic, I'm just worried it won't totally fade. I know reds are not supposed to have much staying power but every time I've dyed my hair in the past (with permanent dye, now all grown out) all the other aspects of the shade have faded leaving me with just a red sheen on the dyed section, so I feel that's not always true.

I'm interested in the comments about damage/porosity being the influencing factor with staying power. The top layer and ends of my hair are heat damaged so they may be areas it stays on, although they will have to be trimmed away eventually anyway, but my shortest layer is about half the length of the longest so it's not going anywhere anytime soon!

Hmm. Still undecided. I should really just be happy with what I've got and not risk it buuuuuut I could really do with the pick me up of a reversible change for a bit. I miss the fun colours I had when I was younger!

XcaliburGirl
March 7th, 2012, 03:37 PM
I'm pretty sure that if your hair is not damaged or overly porous and is dark, you don't have much danger of it not washing out.

I couldn't get the After Midnight to stay longer than 2 shampoos on my unbleached hair.

XcaliburGirl
March 7th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Just thinking... maybe a strand test would make you feel better?

fridgee
March 10th, 2012, 04:02 AM
I think a strand test would definitely make me feel better.

BUT I've been vetoed :( I promised DBF I wouldn't dye my hair before we got married so I would have my natural hair colour at our wedding, but I thought if I could find out a rinse out dye it might not count...but apparently it does! So even tho I really want to try manic panic now, it will have to wait! Thanks for sharing your experiences tho! :flower:

earthnut
April 16th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Howabout colored clip-in hair?

BeckyAH
April 16th, 2012, 06:05 PM
If you put Manic Panic or another similar color on dark, unbleached, undamaged, hair - you're not going to have a problem with the rinse out. It isn't going to stay on for just a day or two, but within a month it should be all gone.

Even on blonde -

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/Greylin/bleachbrushed.jpg

The blue and blondeish green showing up, there? That's the bits that are bleached. THe dye was over everything.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/Greylin/afterdye.jpg

The blue over it (see above) is just a gloss and surface stain. It comes out well, and fast, IME. I've never had anything but a specific RED refuse to come out of my hair, and that's 'Beyond the Zone' brand and my natural hair has some dark red tones anyway. Blues and purples come out easily - too easily for me. (From the unbleached, anyway. bleached hair some stick better, and my hair is hardly in pristine condition)

ETA: Reading your other comments: Try a strand test on a bit near your ear, but under your canopy. Maybe toward the end. Worst case, that way, it gets trimmed out or you have a tiny bit of hair with color that can be disguised. I don't think it's an issue though. (And again: I don't care what anyone says. Red is the color that NEVER fades out of my hair.EV.ER.)

PurplePenguin
April 16th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Howabout colored clip-in hair?

I vote for this one as it seems to be the best choice. I have found some really awesome clip ins at Hot Topic and Spencers. They usually have pretty funky colors and sometimes I even find ones that are striped horizontally for example blue and black stripes interchanging horizontally. I think they look awesome :shrug:

fridgee
April 17th, 2012, 09:27 AM
BeckyAH thanks for the pics, I love your hair, so spunky! Unfortunately, I promised not to dye my hair before our wedding and DBF decided temporary dyes counted, so it will have to wait :(. After the wedding tho it's definitely getting livened up big time! :D

I like the clip in idea! It totally didn't occur to me but sounds the perfect solution for a splash of nonpermanent colour :) and I can chop and change whenever I feel like it!