PDA

View Full Version : Preventing tangles overnight without a braid?

joyfulheart18
March 6th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Hi there everyone!

I joined the LHC around a year ago. I wash my hair every day with sulfate free shampoo and cone free conditioner. I detangle my hair in the shower with a plastic comb while it is wet and full of conditioner. If I try to detangle it dry, I feel like my hair is "ripping" and I don't want to damage it! I wear my hair mostly in a braid or a bun and always in a braid at night so that it will not tangle. The trouble is I get braid waves. This was nice as first, and I enjoy them, but I would love to have my natural straight/wavy hair sometimes. I just can't image how tangled my hair would get sleeping with it down! I briefly tried finger combing but it doesn't feel as if I get all the tangles out, but maybe I am not doing it properly. I like my hair to look smooth and combed, but I don't want to damage my hair. Do you guys have any tips on how I could achieve this?

Mairéad
March 6th, 2012, 08:28 AM
I think some put a bun high up on the head called a "pineapple." You can also just flip your hair over your pillow. If you don't move too much you shouldn't get too tangled up. You could also look into satin/ silk pillow cases or sleeping caps.

joyfulheart18
March 6th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the advice? Do you know if there is a tutorial on how to pineapple with long hair? I only see short hair tutorials on youtube and I don't know how that would work for my long hair.

B-L
March 6th, 2012, 08:48 AM
I use a satin sleep cap and it's so comfy! I used to sleep with a braid but it got to lumpy and in my way.

Anje
March 6th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Adding a vote for the satin sleep bonnet. My hair comes out of that completely un-tangled, I don't have to deal with my hair getting in my way at night (it annoys me, possibly because I'm not used to it), and I get nice comfy cotton against my face. The only downside is that I look silly, but I really don't care.

heidi w.
March 6th, 2012, 10:23 AM
I sleep on a satin pillowcase. I draw my hair length above my head. The pillow itself is a regular sized pillow, although the case is king-sized. I take the excess fabric of the pillowcase and lay it out, not bundled under the pillow, and pool my hair length on this bit of fabric. At this length and now that it also has some weight, my hair generally stays put almost all night long, even if I toss and turn, which I do.

I have slept in a braid and the waves always ended where the tieoff was and I always kind of thought it looked unattractive to have braid waves and the end all straight. It looked kind of funky to me.

At your length, you can wear your hair loose, but it will likely move about as you sleep. So my vote for a satin sleep cap is being made for your situation and your goal.

heidi w.

Macaroni
March 6th, 2012, 11:01 AM
I do something similar to this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-mv_IMem_F9s/Txi-DRzupPI/AAAAAAAAAag/4V2KZ4Mvqvw/s1600/IMG03479-20120104-0340.jpg

I don't pull it tightly and the single, stand-up pincurl is huge. It takes four of the very long clips to hold it.

I use one of these:

http://www.franceluxe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/products/franceLuxe/ponies/9556/9556Tok244.jpg

jacqueline101
March 6th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I'd try a loose bun that's my sleep style.

LittleOrca
March 6th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Sleep caps or Tail Socks (for horses, but they work well on people, too!)

Vanille_
March 6th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I have some slight waves too. Every night, I finger comb my hair followed by a quick brushing. I twist my hair at my nape all the way to the ends, pulling my ends over my head towards my forehead. I put the satin sleep cap on over my hand, maintaining the twist until the cap is secure. I let go of the end, letting the hair pool at the bottom of the cap and pull my hand out.

That's it. No braid waves or anything. If my hair was straight or semi straight the day before, my hair is usually totally straight the next day.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/Hair/DSC020971-1.jpg

melusine963
March 6th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I have some slight waves too. Every night, I finger comb my hair followed by a quick brushing. I twist my hair at my nape all the way to the ends, pulling my ends over my head towards my forehead. I put the satin sleep cap on over my hand, maintaining the twist until the cap is secure. I let go of the end, letting the hair pool at the bottom of the cap and pull my hand out.

That's it. No braid waves or anything. If my hair was straight or semi straight the day before, my hair is usually totally straight the next day.

Your cat (and your hair) is gorgeous!!!

sycamoreboutiqu
March 6th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I have been doing a version of a rope braid - but loose and at the very top of my head so it lays nicely over the pillow without pulling.

I pony it loosely with a satin tie - then bend over and twist the two sections and then twist them together (reverse direction). I have to do this immediately before bed as otherwise it would come down because of the loose nature. Using a silk pillowcase helps a lot.
It occasionally falls down behind my back and I have to flip it back over the pillow - but I am a restless sleeper too.

This keeps the hair fairly smooth but with a bit of coiled wave.
If I do it on totally dry hair the wave doesn't last long the next day, it is usually put up anyway, but at least I have some nice smooth wave instead of braid wave volume.

Pierre
March 6th, 2012, 12:49 PM
I wear a Buff when sleeping. I usually keep my hair braided and don't even bother undoing the bun when sleeping, but if I just washed and go to sleep, I stuff the hair in the Buff without bothering to braid it.

lunalocks
March 6th, 2012, 01:02 PM
i do a seashell bun on the top of my head. My hair comes out smooth with waves in the morning.

Fairlight63
March 6th, 2012, 02:18 PM
To get straight hair without the braid waves down the length is to put in satin scrunchies down the length of your hair every few inches.

Vanille_
March 6th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Your cat (and your hair) is gorgeous!!!

Thank you :)

kidari
March 6th, 2012, 02:26 PM
This thread is making me want to get a sleep cap for those nights I want to sleep in heavily oiled hair. Most nights I sleep in pin curls and rag curls. Not only does it keep my hair tangle-free, it gives me perfectly styled hair in the morning. I just take them out and shake the curls out and that's it.

ETA: I forgot to add that I used to sleep in a sock bun high on top of my head. When I'm really lazy I just do a cinnamon bun and secure with a few mini claw clips. In the morning it gives you volume and large loose curls.

Tisiloves
March 6th, 2012, 02:29 PM
This thread is making me want to get a sleep cap for those nights I want to sleep in heavily oiled hair. Most nights I sleep in pin curls and rag curls. Not only does it keep my hair tangle-free, it gives me perfectly styled hair in the morning. I just take them out and shake the curls out and that's it.

Sleep caps/scarves are meant to be good to protect your curling equipment too.

kidari
March 6th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Sleep caps/scarves are meant to be good to protect your curling equipment too.

OMG how come I never realized that and it was right in my face the whole time?! You're right. Sometimes they come loose but the sleep cap can help keep it all in place! I think I'm going to get one today :D thank you!

Vanille_
March 6th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I think I'm going to get one today :D thank you!

You can find cheap satin ones at Sallys or Wallmart. I've heard silk is better, but I wouldn't know yet. I wash mine by hand once a week on the same day I do sheets.

einna
March 6th, 2012, 04:15 PM
I love my satin pillowcases. Easy to use, comfy to sleep on once I got used to it and gives great slip for my beloved tresses.

Firefly
March 6th, 2012, 05:02 PM
I can't stand the feel of satin against my skin, and I'm not keen on the sleep cap anyway, so what's been working for me is a banded pony tail. I use about 3 terry ones sort of loosely along the length.

dragaica
March 6th, 2012, 05:11 PM

Great advice
Sure I'll use it too. Thanks

Vanille_
March 6th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Great advice
Sure I'll use it too. Thanks
Good to hear I didn't take silly pictures for no reason :) Hope it helps you.

kidari
March 6th, 2012, 05:58 PM
You can find cheap satin ones at Sallys or Wallmart. I've heard silk is better, but I wouldn't know yet. I wash mine by hand once a week on the same day I do sheets.

Thank you! I was going to ask where to get one. I need to do some grocery shopping so I may pick up some items at Walmart so I can pick up a sleep cap while I'm there. Normally I am against sleep caps and pink foam rollers but since I sleep in rag curls and such now I figure I'm past that already lol.

Amber_Maiden
March 6th, 2012, 06:00 PM
I bought a sleep cap to get around the problem of tangles- even sleeping on a satin pillowcase didn't help!

joyfulheart18
March 7th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Wow! Lots of ideas! Thanks everyone.

I am definitely going to try out some ideas and will update you. I would like to try some of the ideas that give a slight smooth wave or coil before I try the sleep cap, but may eventually give in to the idea later! I wondered if tying elastics every so often down the length of the hair would work...the ones I have are the Goody black elastics and I think they would cause a kink, but I can see how a scrunchie, especially a silk/satin one, would be helpful. I'm going to keep my eyes out for those, and also want to try the seashell bun and probably a few other ideas as well.

I will keep you posted! And if anyone has any more ideas, feel free to continue the conversation!

ktani
March 7th, 2012, 08:22 AM
I sleep with my hair down always. It is currently passed my waist pulled down.

My bedding (sheets and pillowcases) is all satin acetate.

The only things that keep my hair tangle free are catnip treatments and when I do not use that, mineral oil/baby oil drops.

The bedding helps but prior to catnip use and now the baby oil, my hair still tangled when sleeping.

ETA: I should have added that my hair down for sleeping is loose. My hair is never braided for sleeping or otherwise. I do not braid my hair.

Foxy_Booker
March 7th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Sometimes when I'm lazy and don't want to braid my hair before bed I just put my hair underneith my sleeping bonnet and in the morning its still perfect. I love sleeping bonnets, they just have to be tight enough to not fall off in the night.

dragaica
March 7th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Sometimes when I'm lazy and don't want to braid my hair before bed I just put my hair underneith my sleeping bonnet and in the morning its still perfect. I love sleeping bonnets, they just have to be tight enough to not fall off in the night.
Foxy_Booker and Vanille_
How do you solved the BF problem - I think he will laugh for a month (or a year) if he sees me with a bonnet - He's laughing now, only because of my hair "issues"?

Vanille_
March 7th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Foxy_Booker and Vanille_
How do you solved the BF problem - I think he will laugh for a month (or a year) if he sees me with a bonnet - He's laughing now, only because of my hair "issues"?

DH laughed a lot the first time he saw me wear it. But the novelty wears off. He doesn't think twice about it now.

luxepiggy
March 7th, 2012, 12:31 PM
I sleep with my hair loose and use a silk (not polyester satin) pillow cover. The BF did not laugh; he wanted one too (^(oo)^)v

Vanille_
March 7th, 2012, 01:45 PM
I'm considering switching to satin pillow cases... but I am not sold. With the instructions I gave - I wake up with zero tangles. I run my brush or comb through in two or three strokes and it's all smoothed out and ready to leave down or put up. I even wear it when I'm laying down on the couch watching a movie or TV.

luxepiggy
March 7th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I'm considering switching to satin pillow cases... but I am not sold. With the instructions I gave - I wake up with zero tangles. I run my brush or comb through in two or three strokes and it's all smoothed out and ready to leave down or put up. I even wear it when I'm laying down on the couch watching a movie or TV.

Ah, but little piggies who sleep on silk charmeuse can tumble straight out of bed and go! No brush or comb needed, just a quick mist of shine spray (^(oo)^)v

Chamomile betty
March 7th, 2012, 02:50 PM
I wait till I am finshed in the shower, apply my leave ins (olive oil, detangler), and then I detangle with a wide tooth comb.
Try sleeping in a long pony tail. Secure hair at nape and then secure ends. I like this better than a braid. Sometimes the braid gives me tangles underneath.

Vanille_
March 7th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Ah, but little piggies who sleep on silk charmeuse can tumble straight out of bed and go! No brush or comb needed, just a quick mist of shine spray (^(oo)^)v

Your hair is so long! It doesn't get caught around your neck of under anyone who may be sharing piggy's bed?

ravenreed
March 7th, 2012, 03:06 PM
My hair has reached the point where even the braid is giving me grief at night. When it was shorter I would twist it and sleep on it and wake up to sausage curls on the end. I am not sure what to do at this point but I rotate in my sleep and am pretty sure a sleep cap wouldn't stay on. I already sleep on a satin or silk pillowcase, but the braid is about TB length and sometimes gets trapped underneath my back and I wake up to a tangled, frizzy tassel.

MeowScat
March 8th, 2012, 03:16 AM
Yup, I agree with the sleepcap and pillowcase. It does help a lot. I sleep with my hair on top of my head in a tight cinnabun held by two spin pins and the tighter to my scalp my hair is, the less knots I get.

Also, to get waves in my braid tassel, I put the tassel into a tiny cinnabun and tuck the ends into my scrunchie / elastic. It looks like a little nub at the end of my braid. Kinda cute! :)