PDA

View Full Version : What else to begin?

DragonLady
July 21st, 2008, 07:46 PM
I've been reading and lurking for a couple of weeks now, and have learned SO much. Now, I just need to put some of my new knowledge to work for me. :)

Last week, I had 1/2" trimmed off, so I could begin with a nice, healthy cut. My hair is virgin -the current length has never been blow dried, heat set, permed, colored or whatever. But, over the last five years it's gotten dull and doesn't shine much. :(

I bought a bottle of Africa's Best Herbal Oil, and have been using it. I just love it! I've used olive oil in the past, but rarely as it made me so greasy. I didn't realize I would've been better off using tiny amounts more often.

And, I've started using the Monistat. I applied it for the first time last Friday, and again on Monday. Can't wait to see the results, if any. I don't plan to use it very often, and only in small amounts because I've had past liver damage and don't want to take any chances.

I bought something called "Doo Grow" just on a whim, but haven't tried it yet. I tried to search the forums for it but the term isn't long enough for the search to work. Has anyone else had luck with it?

What else can I try? Or what else should I not be doing? Any advice at all is welcome. :)

NurseMama
July 21st, 2008, 07:55 PM
How are you washing? poo or CO? cones or no-cones? Are you protecting your hair at night? Are you doing updos frequently?

Those would be the next questions to figure out.

I've started on Monistat as well and have had tremendous growth!

BTW, I'm new as well, but WELCOME! :D

DragonLady
July 21st, 2008, 08:03 PM
How are you washing? poo or CO? cones or no-cones? Are you protecting your hair at night? Are you doing updos frequently?

Those would be the next questions to figure out.

I've started on Monistat as well and have had tremendous growth!

BTW, I'm new as well, but WELCOME! :D

I use shampoo. About three years ago, I was having a terrible time with accidental dread locks forming overnight. It took me months to realize it was the shampoo my DH had switched us to. It works great for him.... :D Now, I've gone back to the stuff I used for years (Flex). I only ever began using it as a teenager because I loved the way it smelled, but now I realize that it was also the stuff my hair always liked best. I'm willing to try other stuff, of course, but will keep a bottle of the old standbye anyway. :) I think it's no-cones, but am not certain.

I'm only just learning to do updos. I'm all thumbs when it comes to my hair, but yesterday I managed my first french roll! I'm proud of myself, because it's the first thing I've managed to do that looked nice besides a simple ponytail. But, I can't seem to do it again today, so I guess I need to practise it a few more times.

At night, I just put it up over my pillow. I will buy a satin pillowcase next time I'm in the city. I live 30 miles from town and 60 from the city, so I don't go anywhere very often. :)

DragonLady
July 21st, 2008, 08:04 PM
Oh, and thank-you for the welcome. :)

Golden21
July 21st, 2008, 08:41 PM
I'm interested to hear how the doo grow works for you. I think I saw it in the store and have been wondering if it really works.

enitsirk
July 21st, 2008, 08:43 PM
I cannot vouch enough for horn combs. I love them.

I threw out all of my brushes and I only use a wide tooth comb now. If I had told myself this a few years ago I would have said 'combing? But combs don't work! :rolleyes:'

They're wonderful :D

DragonLady
July 21st, 2008, 08:51 PM
Where can I buy a horn comb?

enitsirk
July 21st, 2008, 09:05 PM
I have THIS (http://www.heavenlyharvestinc.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/119) one from Heavenly Harvest, but others might have different recommendations. I am very happy with it. A couple of weeks after I bought it, I bought another one to keep in my purse at all times.

So one resides in my bathroom drawer with my toothbrush, the other in my purse.

angelthadiva
July 21st, 2008, 09:28 PM
DragonLady: Welcome! :flower:

My ex DH used Doo Grow, it works fantastic and smells pretty good too, if I remember correctly...You might also want to wrap your hair up at night--At least until you get the pillow case.

Check all your combs for seams, most plastic combs are molded, so they have seams that can rip or tear your hair if they aren't smooth...That's why most of us use horn or wooden combs...Oh, you might want to go through your pony tail holders...Use the ones that are glued, like Goody Ouchless or something similar...The ones that have the evil, metal crimp can cause breakage...Uh, that's all I can think of right now, but welcome! :flowers:

JustAgirl0030
July 21st, 2008, 11:56 PM
For shine u should give avocado a try, it gave my hair greatt shine!!

DragonLady
July 22nd, 2008, 12:08 AM
Okay; thanks for all the suggestions so far. :)

And thanks for the welcomes. I plan to hang around here a lot, although I may not post much.

I get busy with my own (sewing) forums, so my time at other sites is limited, but this sure seams like a great place so far. :)

Riot Crrl
July 22nd, 2008, 12:10 AM
I would actually suggest to not try too much at once. It can take time to see how new things are working.

That's products and routines though. Updos you can try as many as you like. :)

Angellen
July 22nd, 2008, 12:43 AM
I would also caution against doing too much too soon. If something upsets your hair, it might prove very difficult to figure out what is doing the harm. It's easy to get swept up in the desire for long hair, but overdoing it can cause problems later on.

I think adding things like silk/satin pillowcases and a horn/wooden/'bone' comb are exempt from the above, however. ;)

Anje
July 22nd, 2008, 06:57 AM
You've mentioned the shampoo you use, how about conditioner? I tend to CO with whatever Suave Naturals smells good, myself, and am inclined to recommend that people at least try CO washing. You might also like something like CWC, which will expose your length to less shampoo and hopefully keep it shinier.

lora410
July 22nd, 2008, 07:08 AM
Monistat made my top layers grow like mad. As stated earlier you may need to see if you like cones or not and may want to do a clarify before you start that experiment. My hair loves all oils. Coconut oil, olive, amla, almond etc. I oil after every wash. You have to let us knwo how the doo grow works, but I have a feeling it is no different then the scalp oil I make myself, which is why I never bought it.

DragonLady
July 22nd, 2008, 08:50 AM
You've mentioned the shampoo you use, how about conditioner? I tend to CO with whatever Suave Naturals smells good, myself, and am inclined to recommend that people at least try CO washing. You might also like something like CWC, which will expose your length to less shampoo and hopefully keep it shinier.

I've never used conditioner much. But will take a look at what's out there next time I'm shopping. I do think cwc might work for me, as for years I always kinda intuited that conditioning my hair first made more sense...but never actually tried it as I thought I was just being weird.

feralnature
July 22nd, 2008, 12:52 PM
My hair loves coconut oil. I apply it to my dry hair about 2-3 times a week.

I also always do a final rinse of cold water in the shower as I am rinsing out the conditioner.

DragonLady
August 23rd, 2008, 11:01 PM
One month, and one inch! That's double my normal growth, so I'm happy as a clam right now. :)

I've been doing CWC, and Monistat. Using ACV for a final rinse, and trimming off my splits once a week. I bought a horn comb, but still haven't gotten a satin pillowcase -it's next on my list.

I've also learned two new updo's since I've been here, and that's a real achievement, considering I've been hairdo challenged my whole life.

I'm so glad I found this place! Even without the growth, my hair looks better than ever. :) :)

Gothic Lolita
August 24th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Wow, DragonLady! One inch in a month is pretty fast. Seems like you found your routine.
Keep it up, I'm sure you'll find loads of stuff around here that make your hair happy! I'm glad you found us!