PDA

View Full Version : Manic Panic on dark hair result

BBdck1
March 6th, 2012, 02:03 AM
I've always wanted to try Manic Panic but thought that my hair was too dark and didn't want to bleach my hair. So I did some research and saw that certain people with dark unbleached hair can get a pretty good result so I decided to give it try.

I used Vampire Red hoping to get a tint of red indoor and brighter outside.
Before (hair was streak using box dye a couple months ago):
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-DzCYhDTga0w/T1XN4b7JhQI/AAAAAAAAAO4/W96W1OhqeqA/s512/Profile.JPG

Result was pretty much what I was hoping for (indoor after hair dried):
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-JZfF0n9BVWY/T1XP0yAcAsI/AAAAAAAAAPc/G-t0VrtbK9c/s512/MP.JPG

I was terrified of the color bleeding so I had to blow dry my hair (hate blowdrying) after I rinsed it out. It's been about 5/6 days with 1 wash (CWC +gloss) and the color is still almost the same a day 1! I want to try a blue next for black-blue result!

Any advice on how to make the color last longer would be much appreciated!

Avital88
March 6th, 2012, 02:04 AM
looking at your picture amkes me want to try it too! it looks very good, i like the subtle yet strong red...

MonaLisa
March 6th, 2012, 02:06 AM
You got such beautiful color! How was the process, messy?
I'm curious about how long it will last and how it will look when it starts washing out, please keep us informed :)

BBdck1
March 6th, 2012, 02:38 AM
You got such beautiful color! How was the process, messy?
I'm curious about how long it will last and how it will look when it starts washing out, please keep us informed :)

Thank you! It looks a little purple in the sun. Probably due to the dye's pink undertone.

The process surprising wasn't very messy (and I'm a VERY messy person). I sectioned my hair horizontally into thirds, used a tinting brush and paint on the color starting from the bottom section. Clip everything up, wrap my head in a plastic bag, then a shower cap (to ensure that my towel won't get stained), then a towel to keep it warm. Left it on for ~3hr. Then rinse, condition, and ACV rinse.

I think the trick of not getting your bathtub looking like a murder scene is to not rinse using the shower head at first but to stick your head (with hair still in the clips) under the tub facet for a couple minute, then turn on the shower head to continue rinse for a few more minute, THEN slowly unclip your hair. That way you don't get red splashes all over your wall.

Shesta
March 6th, 2012, 03:08 AM
Oh, you achieved a very nice color! Good job. :) I've been thinking of trying some of the blue-green dyes for my ends only. But it will be in summer when I don't have to stress out my colleagues at work :D

owlathena
March 6th, 2012, 03:15 AM
It looks great! I'm tempted to boost my henna red with some manic panic...

jacqueline101
March 6th, 2012, 05:37 AM
Its cute and I like it.

ranaenelcomal
March 6th, 2012, 08:44 AM
When I was in highschool, I used Manic Panic's After Midnight Blue on my virginal dark brown hair. I thought it would rinse off after a week or so, but instead it discolored into this swamp-monster green that stayed with me until I cut my hair off :(

einna
March 6th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Looks very good. I always like to see vegetable dye results on unbleached hair, I miiight try it one day (just afraid that it will stay to long).

Amber_Maiden
March 6th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Very pretty!!!

Scarlett brooke
March 6th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Lovely colour!

PixxieStix
March 6th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Very fun! I've always wanted to see what I would look like with blue or purple hair, I just might have to try this some time. Thanks for the pics, it looks gorgeous in your hair.

Naiadryade
March 6th, 2012, 10:53 AM
It looks great! It makes me want to try it... when I was 14 I got my hair dyed semi-permanent green, and I loved it--with my skin tone I could actually pull it off. I've though off and on since then about doing it again, but I've never had the guts.

I've heard here that manic panic is "hair-friendly." What does this mean?

BBdck1
March 7th, 2012, 03:41 AM
It looks great! It makes me want to try it... when I was 14 I got my hair dyed semi-permanent green, and I loved it--with my skin tone I could actually pull it off. I've though off and on since then about doing it again, but I've never had the guts.

I've heard here that manic panic is "hair-friendly." What does this mean?

I am in no way an expert but from what I read, Manic Panic is a semi-permenent dye that contains no ammonia or peroxide. Permeant dyes are harmful because they lift the cuticles of your hair to remove the color from the cortex then deposit the dye into it. This is very damaging because cuticles are what protect your hair, making it smooth and shiny. Too much lifting will cause the hair to weaken and break. Semi-permenent dyes do not alter your hair color. They act as a stain that coat your hair and washes off over time.

I hope that makes sense. I'm pretty bad at explaining.

As for the green hair, go for it!!! I'm sure you can rock it!;)

Tisiloves
March 7th, 2012, 03:47 AM
Very nice, a much more natural looking result that I would have thought you would get with Vampire red.

BelleBot
March 7th, 2012, 03:58 AM
It looks gorgeous! I use Directions which is similar to Manic Panic over unbleached hair.
I recently decided to add a purple streak to my hair, though it turned out black, I guess some colours need the hair pre lightened first. Reds always seem to work though from pictures I've seen.

Epi71
March 7th, 2012, 05:01 AM
Wow, it looks beautiful! The only semi-permanent color I've tried is Jazzing. Shampooing once a week with one quick lathering and leaving my conditioner on for five minutes or less helped me maintain the color for a few months.

It looks like Manic Panic gives a more impressive result, though, so I wonder if it will last longer with more frequent shampooing.

Chetanlaiho
March 7th, 2012, 06:31 AM
It looks great! ^_^ makes me want to something similar xD let us know how it fades? =)

BBdck1
March 8th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Update: 7 days and 2 washes (CWC+ MP gloss) after application
indoor
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-LAePdNuF2Z8/T1ku5B3Zj1I/AAAAAAAAAP4/KyIsoXrGeLc/s512/DSC02243.JPG

Outdoor
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Z5Tuqu74cJU/T1ku9sVXp_I/AAAAAAAAAQA/3SDZqU5Iqjk/s512/photo.JPG

It's faded a bit but not too much. I don't know if MP have good staying power or if it's because of the gloss.
My hair don't feel dry but after each wash, my ends feel "crunchy" like how it feels when there are product build-ups. My hair still feel smooth when I run my finger through it but it stays frizzy longer and doesn't look smooth until the 2nd day after wash. It's normal for my hair to look frizzy after a wash but it stays frizzy longer with MP. The good thing about this is my hair don't get oily fast. I feel like I can stretch my wash by one more day. I'm not certain that it's caused by the dye but it's the only thing that's different in my routine.

I'm going to clarify my hair today got get rid of the build-ups and hopefully most of the color. Going to color my hair with Adore (another semi-permenent) in indigo blue to see what I'll look like with blue-black hair. All this experiment is to choose what color to dye my hair more permanently with Pravana Chromasilk Vivids (deposite dye). Wish me luck! :D

Aimskylove
March 8th, 2012, 03:51 PM
awesome thank you for sharing! I have been flirting with the idea of using blue on my black hair. :)

BBdck1
March 8th, 2012, 10:36 PM
awesome thank you for sharing! I have been flirting with the idea of using blue on my black hair. :)

You should! Then post some pictures.

I just clarified my hair hoping to get most of the the color out so I can dye it blue and it faded a bit but still quite red. This might be a good thing for those who want MP to last longer than a few washes.

Beckstar
March 8th, 2012, 10:40 PM
I love Vampire Red. You will glow (not sparkle) outside with natural light. It's very pretty.

Diamond.Eyes
March 8th, 2012, 10:43 PM
I'm so glad that you had such amazing results with MP. It looks very lovely! :flower:

bluebird77
March 9th, 2012, 12:53 AM
I think the Vampire Red looks great on your hair! Especially in the outdoor shot. Looking foreward to seeing the Indigo Blue when you do it.

Is there an official thread for posting photos of results for Manic Panic/Directions and other similar temporary dyes? I've seen 'Show me your hennaed/henndigoed Hair' and I know there's a 'Show me your Crazy Coloured Hair'... but not everyone who uses direct deposit or vegetable dyes is aiming for a crazy colour. Perhaps we need a 'Show me your DDD'ed Hair' or something along those lines, if it doesn't already exist?

I currently have Directions Dark Tulip soaking on my head. My natural colour is mid/dark brown, with a red tint in the sunlight from 5 full-head henna applications. I accidentally touched my hair after taking my gloves off and the bright pink stain on my fingers is a little alarming. I may end up needing the 'Show me your Crazy Coloured Hair' thread after all. Kinda nervous right now. Might decide to rinse after 2 hours instead of the planned 3. :undecided

BBdck1
March 9th, 2012, 02:01 AM
I think the Vampire Red looks great on your hair! Especially in the outdoor shot. Looking foreward to seeing the Indigo Blue when you do it.

Is there an official thread for posting photos of results for Manic Panic/Directions and other similar temporary dyes? I've seen 'Show me your hennaed/henndigoed Hair' and I know there's a 'Show me your Crazy Coloured Hair'... but not everyone who uses direct deposit or vegetable dyes is aiming for a crazy colour. Perhaps we need a 'Show me your DDD'ed Hair' or something along those lines, if it doesn't already exist?

I currently have Directions Dark Tulip soaking on my head. My natural colour is mid/dark brown, with a red tint in the sunlight from 5 full-head henna applications. I accidentally touched my hair after taking my gloves off and the bright pink stain on my fingers is a little alarming. I may end up needing the 'Show me your Crazy Coloured Hair' thread after all. Kinda nervous right now. Might decide to rinse after 2 hours instead of the planned 3. :undecided

I looked up Dark Tulip and the color looks AMAZING at full intensity! I'm sure it won't be bright pink, that's probably just the undertone color. Please post pictures when you're done!

I currently have Indigo blue in my hair and plan on leaving it over night. So far, I like the thicker, paste-like, texture of Manic Panic more than Adore. It spreads much easier, more opaque so I use less product. What's the texture of Direction like?

'Show me your DDD'ed Hair' sounds like an excellent idea. I'm not sure if we have that yet....

Nocturnal
March 9th, 2012, 02:02 AM
I think any temp blue dye is a bitch to wash off without ending up with green hair.

missdelarocha
March 9th, 2012, 02:19 AM

Awesome idea!! Please make the thread :).
Lol, I wouldn't stress, if your skin is lighter than your hair the pink is probably much brighter on skin. Look forward to a picture!

bluebird77
March 9th, 2012, 02:22 AM
I looked up Dark Tulip and the color looks AMAZING at full intensity! I'm sure it won't be bright pink, that's probably just the undertone color. Please post pictures when you're done!

I currently have Indigo blue in my hair and plan on leaving it over night. So far, I like the thicker, paste-like, texture of Manic Panic more than Adore. It spreads much easier, more opaque so I use less product. What's the texture of Direction like?

I've never used MP but Directions is a thickish paste, so probably similar. I only needed half a tub for my fine hair. I ordered 6 different colours to play with and this is my first. I can try a new one each month! One of the other colours I have is Neon Blue but I'm worried that over my hennaed hair it will turn out black.

Have decided to wait out the full 3 hours and am using a heat cap on and off. I've come this far, might as well get the most out of it. Your overnight plan inspired me also but I'm too impatient to see the result to wait that long. Less than an hour to go! Will try to get a pic once it's dry.

bluebird77
March 9th, 2012, 02:27 AM
Awesome idea!! Please make the thread :).

Cool. Ok.

Lol, I wouldn't stress, if your skin is lighter than your hair the pink is probably much brighter on skin. Look forward to a picture!

And thanks for the reassurance :)

ETA: Show us your DDD'ed Hair! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=2034536#post2034536)

I'd like to be able to post a pic of my results but sadly ATM it's looking like a bit of a fail. My scalp is definitely coloured (eeek, but I assume this will wash off next wash right? *fingers crossed*) but in this light (night time here) my hair just looks a couple of shades darker. Maybe it'll look better in the daylight or after a few washes.

bluebird77
March 13th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Sorry for the triple post in this thread but I did manage to get some photos in the sunlight...

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9955&pictureid=128390

BBdck1, how did the Adore Indigo Blue turn out?