PDA

View Full Version : In what order do you ACV, mineral oil, tea rinse

Silverbrumby
March 6th, 2012, 12:49 AM
I've been on here long enough to want to try a couple of things I've read about.

1. ACV rinses

2. Mineral oil (baby oil)

3. Tea rinses

But my question is how do you do all 3 with shampooing and conditioning?

Do you C/W/C then put on the ACV, then the tea on top of it (I use rosemary tea) then 3 drops of (for me Argan) oil then 3 drops of mineral oil to finish?

Have I got this right? Do you rinse out the ACV or the tea. I don't think so but now I'm confused.

My entire routine now is:

C/W/C with 20 mins of cond. on the hair before I shower to cleanse. Finger detangle (barely any tangles), oil and that's it. My hair was feeling dry so after reading about how mineral oil helps seal in the moisture I wanted to add it in. I started the tea rinses two weeks ago and I think my shedding has decreased.

Sorry. I know this is a bit all over the place. It's my first attempt at starting a thread.

HintOfMint
March 6th, 2012, 01:27 AM
One thing I know for sure is that the mineral oil is used as a leave-in, so that would be post wash on damp hair.

As for the ACV and tea rinses, I'll give my best shot. According to Ktani, ACV sweeps away some mineral deposits (doesn't quite chelate though) and soap scum, so I would do that immediately following the shampoo part of CWC. It doesn't do much against conditioner residue according to Ktani, so using it at the end of CWC doesn't do much.

As for the tea rinse, since you hinted that it was mainly for your scalp, it depends on what you do with it, whether you rinse it out or leave it in. If you rinse it out, then I would use it right before the last C in CWC so that it has time to soak on your scalp while you're conditioning. If you don't intend to rinse it out, I would do it right after you rinsed out your last bits of conditioner.

Tea rinses are acidic, like ACV, so it should help your cuticle lie flat as well.

This is just my two cents, perhaps someone more experienced with ACV rinses and tea rinses can chime in.

fridgee
March 6th, 2012, 11:03 AM
You can combine the tea and ACV rinses, just add a spoonful of ACV to your brewed tea. I do my ACV rinse after washing out conditioner and leave it in there, although many people rinse it out, personal preference really. Then the mineral oil goes on damp hair. You don't need to apply the organ oil as well as the baby oil, but if it works for you that way then great!

I would say tho, it's probably worth trying each of these things out one by one and adding a new one when you know if you like it on its own rather than trying loads of new things at once because then you won't know which thing it is that you do or don't like.

fridgee
March 6th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Sorry double post

jacqueline101
March 6th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Shampoo rinse condish rinse white vinegar rinse. Spray detangler on work out tangles comb with wide tooth comb towel dry to half dry. Recomb hair apply monistat mist with my oil mix. Let dry and add a small amount of mineral oil to ends. Then add leave condish to the top. Style and start the day.

ktani
March 6th, 2012, 11:34 AM
I've been on here long enough to want to try a couple of things I've read about.

1. ACV rinses

2. Mineral oil (baby oil)

3. Tea rinses

But my question is how do you do all 3 with shampooing and conditioning?

Do you C/W/C then put on the ACV, then the tea on top of it (I use rosemary tea) then 3 drops of (for me Argan) oil then 3 drops of mineral oil to finish?

Have I got this right? Do you rinse out the ACV or the tea. I don't think so but now I'm confused.

My entire routine now is:

C/W/C with 20 mins of cond. on the hair before I shower to cleanse. Finger detangle (barely any tangles), oil and that's it. My hair was feeling dry so after reading about how mineral oil helps seal in the moisture I wanted to add it in. I started the tea rinses two weeks ago and I think my shedding has decreased.

Sorry. I know this is a bit all over the place. It's my first attempt at starting a thread.

The mineral oil/baby oil is a leave-in on either damp hair if your hair is dry or you can use on dry hair if your hair has a good moisture level. It is best used on hair without too much product or residue on it, based on reports. I use no conditioner and have no build-up on my hair and it works perfectly.

The tea rinse after washing and conditioning can be for supplementary conditioning, depending on what tea rinse you are using and why you are using it (added color for example). You can add a very small amount of vinegar to it to make it more acidic, not too much as straight vinegar is very acidic and most teas are acidic like black or green tea.

You can also use a well diluted apple cider vinegar rinse right after the tea rinse to help close the cuticles more and deal with hard water because it is more acidic than the rinse in most cases.

Conditioners are already acidic and many contain chelating ingredients like EDTA to deal with hard water. So do many shampoos which are also acidic in most cases. Diluted vinegar or diluted lemon juice ETA rinses - can be even more helpful following shampooing and conditioning to help with hard water but you may not need them.

heidi w.
March 6th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Ktani knows about the mineral oil stuff. I don't.

But I do know about ACVing. It is rinsed out. Do not leave it in the hair.

heidi w.

heidi w.
March 6th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Conditioners are already acidic and many contain chelating ingredients like EDTA to deal with hard water. So do many shampoos which are also acidic in most cases. Diluted vinegar or diluted lemon juice rinses can be even more helpful following shampooing and conditioning to help with hard water but you may not need them.

Ktani, are you saying that shampoos and conditioner are "acidic". I am just wondering that you might have mis-written by accident.

heidi w.

ktani
March 6th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Ktani, are you saying that shampoos and conditioner are "acidic". I am just wondering that you might have mis-written by accident.

heidi w.

Most shampoos and conditioners these days are acidic. Some shampoos can have a neutral pH but they usually indicate that. They are on average between pH 5.5 to 6.5. Some can be more acidic (shampoos for coloured hair). The pH of straight vinegar (undiluted) is about 2.3. That is the difference in acidity.

I was referring to both the tea rinse and the acidic rinses (lemon and vinegar) in the general sense - to be rinsed out.

There are those who prefer to leave vinegar rinses in and that is best done with very very, diluted rinses for hair health, in my opinion. I researched that a while back in another thread, thanks to you. ETA: You made some good points. ETA:3 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=84802

ETA:2 There were a number of shampoos years ago that were alkaline, a long time ago. That is unusual for today and restricted usually to soap based ones. All true soaps are alkaline and that would include most shampoo bars.

swearnsue
March 6th, 2012, 11:49 AM
The way I understand it, most shampoos and conditioners are acidic except for baby shampoos that are more alkaline. But IDK.

ktani
March 6th, 2012, 11:51 AM
The way I understand it, most shampoos and conditioners are acidic except for baby shampoos that are more alkaline. But IDK.

I actually phoned Johnson's re their baby shampoos and both types (Original and the Naturals) and their body washes are acidic.

ETA: I have posted these links before but it has been a while.

Acid Mantle
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18489300
"it is estimated that the 'natural' skin surface pH is on average 4.7, i.e. below 5."

http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/produkte.asp?Aktion=ShowPDF&ProduktNr=227090&Ausgabe=228715&ArtikelNr=66140
"In contrast to adults, human newborn SC displays a near-neutral surface pH, which declines rapidly over the first postnatal month."

The Johnson's Original Baby Shampoo pH is about 6.8. pH 7 is neutral and the pH scale is logarithmic, http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/184ph.html.

ETA:2 Double-checked - I was close, lol. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1361462&postcount=631

Amber_Maiden
March 6th, 2012, 12:18 PM
I shampoo my hair, then do ACV rinse, then condition my hair, then use a tea rinse. I don't use mineral oil, but I do use oil, and I oil my hair everyday between washes.

swearnsue
March 6th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Thanks Ktani for the info about baby shampoo and posting those links. I didn't realize the importance of pH and skin health. Wow.

ktani
March 6th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Thanks Ktani for the info about baby shampoo and posting those links. I didn't realize the importance of pH and skin health. Wow.

You are very welcome.

Silverbrumby
March 6th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Thank you so much everyone for the information. I am overdoing it with adding too many things in but after washing last night and using the mineral oil with damp hair I did notice today that in the afternoon when my hair which was damp from wet bunning it overnight, did not feel dry by late afternoon. This was causing me to add more oil at night, oil the next morning and again in the evening. I was using a LOT of oil. After reading Heidi's comment on hair dryness and oiling/mineral oil I realized that maybe the baby oil would be the thing that was missing from my routine.

It's too soon to tell but today my hair sticks where slipping out of my bun, my hair didn't feel dry in the afternoon the day after washing and I don't feel the need to add more oil expect maybe on the very ends (the last 1/2 inch) as they are rather damaged.

I'm excited. Even with my post shedding hair loss of the past 3 years where I've lost about 1/3 of my hair volume, my hair is actually shinning and feels nice to touch. This is new for me.

Once again, thank you ;-)

Silverbrumby
March 6th, 2012, 07:43 PM
You are very welcome.

Oh and a special thank you for the links and explaining the science behind this. So much to learn!