PDA

View Full Version : How to make hair sticks?

trampledbygeese
March 5th, 2012, 08:59 PM
I have some lovely hair sticks for wearing around town, but I worry about breaking them while I'm working on the farm.

How can I make my own hairstick?

Sure, a chopstick is a great alternative - except, it's usually far too long, catching on everything, and most of the time they have a texture at the tip, either ridges or some other texture that yanks at my hair and breaks it.

A dowel and a sander don't seem to work well as dowels are not always that strong.

What about a branch from a hardwood tree like apple or holly? It's a strong wood.

How else can I make my own hair sticks? Thoughts?

mary*rose
March 5th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Pencils do the trick for me whenever I'm in school and I need something quick to do up my hair with. I'm sure you could use a twig from a tree, but it would take a lot of work to get it so it wouldn't catch on your hair.

GaJunebug
March 5th, 2012, 09:10 PM
You can purchase ready formed hair stick blanks that can be further embellished with beads etc.

Are you wanting to actually make the hair stick portion?

I would think that whittling down the wood you mentioned, rasping it and then hitting it with sandpaper before oiling or staining it.

Guess you could leave it without a gloss finish or add one.

Also, you could cut off the ridges on the end of chopsticks, put it in a pencil sharpener to get the shape back to a point and sand for smoothness.

( I use pre made wooden blanks for mine that have a hole drilled in the tops so I can embellish with beads etc.)

trampledbygeese
March 5th, 2012, 09:10 PM
It's good a twig will work. I got some aged arbutus and maple blow downs from the forest today. They have nice, long smooth sections. I'll try sanding them down tomorrow, and probably finish up with a coat of beeswax or linseed oil.

GaJunebug
March 5th, 2012, 09:11 PM
P.S. Other use metal knitting needles as hair sticks or bend them to form hair forks.

trampledbygeese
March 5th, 2012, 09:13 PM
You can purchase ready formed hair stick blanks that can be further embellished with beads etc.

Where do you get the blanks?

I was thinking of making the hair stick part - I just want something cheep to hold up my hair while I'm working that I don't have to worry about breaking. My hair can break anything! My hair usually breaks four to five brushes or combs per year. There is just so much hair!

trampledbygeese
March 5th, 2012, 09:16 PM
P.S. Other use metal knitting needles as hair sticks or bend them to form hair forks.

I didn't even think about bending knitting needles. What a great idea. Another project for tomorrow.

GaJunebug
March 5th, 2012, 09:23 PM
If you google it, several stores come up. I believe this is where I got my blanks from although it's been quite a while. I think I got the kind that are 10 for 8.98.
http://www.manyhorses.com/store_hairsticks.htm

LaurelSpring
March 5th, 2012, 09:24 PM
I made mine from chopsticks. I cut off the back end to desired length and sharpen the front with a pencil sharpener. Then I sand it really well. I drilled a little hole in the back so I could decorate it. Next I painted it with nail polish so it is smooth without any prickles. Then I use a little wire and add beads and glue this into the hole. They turn out really nice. I think I have my first attemt in my album but I should add the nicer ones I made after that.

uptosomeone
March 5th, 2012, 10:56 PM
I only ever use twigs from trees. With a knife and a nail file it's extreeemely easy and fast (seriously, like ten minutes max) carve it into a perfectly smooth hairstick, and you can make them small enough that no ends catch on anything! I think they're actually a lot prettier than normal hairsticks, but then again I don't really like ficcares or flexi-8's either...they're too bold for me. :shrug:

B-L
March 6th, 2012, 12:05 AM
You got to check out the self-made hair toys thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131) - there is some amaaaaaaazing craftsmanship ther! :D

supbanana
March 6th, 2012, 12:31 AM
You got to check out the self-made hair toys thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131) - there is some amaaaaaaazing craftsmanship ther! :D

+1, this is the thread to check out.

I make mine using dowels and sanding, but then again I choose the dowels that are fairly thick and can withstand a ton of torque.

Shigure
November 11th, 2017, 06:07 AM
I have some free time so this weekend I'm going to master (read: do at least one usable) carving hair sticks.

Groovy Granny
November 11th, 2017, 06:30 PM
I am of the sanded twig variety; have made just one so far and am still looking for the perfect piece for a fork.
But I am in awe of some of the creations on that thread.....such great talent we have on LHC :crush:

Jo Ann
November 11th, 2017, 07:44 PM
At least one lady here uses a gutter spike--the thing you use to attach gutters to a home.

Shigure
November 12th, 2017, 02:24 PM
I've done one yesterday and three today. I painted then. Tomorrow I'm going to paint them with polish and send pictures here. Be nice. This are my first attempts.
But I have to admit one thing. It is fun to do.
I wish I have more time.

Shigure
November 13th, 2017, 07:30 AM
Here are my new toys. Firs made on top, last at the bottom.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/157169942@N02/38335197266/in/dateposted-public/

Alysia
November 13th, 2017, 09:23 AM
Those are lovely, beautiful mellow colors. Is the darkest one stained or is that the natural color?

Shigure
November 13th, 2017, 11:25 AM
It is stained with brown ink, then polished.