PDA

View Full Version : F/M hair and splits

Vanilla
March 5th, 2012, 08:33 PM
About half my hair on my hair is fine (the outer layers, front of my hair, and natural highlights) and the remainder of my hair is medium texture. Whenever I get split ends (even after trims, S&D and clarifying), it's only on my fine hairs.

I find that no matter what I do, the fine hairs wrap themselves around the medium hairs and get tangled and split. My medium hairs hardly ever get splits.

Would mineral oil help me in this situation?

ktani
March 5th, 2012, 08:43 PM
About half my hair on my hair is fine (the outer layers, front of my hair, and natural highlights) and the remainder of my hair is medium texture. Whenever I get split ends (even after trims, S&D and clarifying), it's only on my fine hairs.

I find that no matter what I do, the fine hairs wrap themselves around the medium hairs and get tangled and split. My medium hairs hardly ever get splits.

Would mineral oil help me in this situation?

In my experience, yes. It spreads evenly and detangles beautifully. Others here have found it works well on fine hair too from the start.

My hair tangled the worst when it had build-up on it. It does not tangle now at all. I know catnip is responsible for that when I use it. When I gambled and tried mineral oil/baby oil on uncatnipped hair I was shocked at how tangle free my hair was as well. Love my baby oil!

Vanilla
March 5th, 2012, 08:52 PM
In my experience, yes. It spreads evenly and detangles beautifully. Others here have found it works well on fine hair too from the start.

My hair tangled the worst when it had build-up on it. It does not tangle now at all. I know catnip is responsible for that when I use it. When I gambled and tried mineral oil/baby oil on uncatnipped hair I was shocked at how tangle free my hair was as well. Love my baby oil!

Thanks for the reassurance ktani. :). I will be trying the mineral oil after my next wash again. I think I used too much the last few times that I tried it.

ktani
March 5th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the reassurance ktani. :). I will be trying the mineral oil after my next wash again. I think I used too much the last few times that I tried it.

You are very welcome.

The less product and build-up - the better it can do its thing. You need far less than you think because it is very light. At the same time though it can be very powerful in results. Just start out using less than you think you need, much less. You can always add a bit more.

Vanilla
March 5th, 2012, 09:04 PM
The last time I tried mineral oil, I used 2 drops on my APL+ hair. I am thinking that 1 would be just fine. Thanks again :).

ktani
March 5th, 2012, 09:10 PM
The last time I tried mineral oil, I used 2 drops on my APL+ hair. I am thinking that 1 would be just fine. Thanks again :).

And the key question is - how big were the drops if you think you used too much? lol.

Drops vary with the person. 2 drops is fine for some and 6 is better for others and it all hinges on thickness, length of hair and drop size. The only "rule" is to use the least amount possible to have it evenly through your hair.

ETA: And you are very welcome.

ETA:2 And the "rule" is to avoid any greasiness which is not that easy to get with it but it is possible and so you can wash it out completely even with a non sulfate shampoo if you so choose.

Katze
March 6th, 2012, 01:46 AM
Oil hasn't worked well for me (hard to get it right) and we have similar hair - I have fine, straight hair on top and M, curly hair at my nape, with some mixing throughout the length. the nape hairs get tangled very easily as you describe, and tend to get dry, whereas the fine hairs get overmoisturized very easily.

Leave-ins work really well for me at controlling splits. With oils, I always had to wash much more intensively and with harsher shampoo, so it was counterproductive.

I do also put much more leave-in on the nape hairs - they get conditioner or leave-in on them every day, whereas my length gets it only once after washing and if I am trying to wear my hair up and have it look halfway presentable. In fact, in order to braid my hair I actually need to do it on dirty hair and with conditioner and gel. So it is a win-win situation - I actually get to wear the braids and updos I like once in a while, and my hair gets extra moisture and protection.

Vanilla
March 6th, 2012, 04:59 AM
And the key question is - how big were the drops if you think you used too much? lol.

Drops vary with the person. 2 drops is fine for some and 6 is better for others and it all hinges on thickness, length of hair and drop size. The only "rule" is to use the least amount possible to have it evenly through your hair.

ETA: And you are very welcome.

ETA:2 And the "rule" is to avoid any greasiness which is not that easy to get with it but it is possible and so you can wash it out completely even with a non sulfate shampoo if you so choose.

The drops I was using were pretty big I think, lol.

Vanilla
March 6th, 2012, 05:01 AM
Oil hasn't worked well for me (hard to get it right) and we have similar hair - I have fine, straight hair on top and M, curly hair at my nape, with some mixing throughout the length. the nape hairs get tangled very easily as you describe, and tend to get dry, whereas the fine hairs get overmoisturized very easily.

Leave-ins work really well for me at controlling splits. With oils, I always had to wash much more intensively and with harsher shampoo, so it was counterproductive.

I do also put much more leave-in on the nape hairs - they get conditioner or leave-in on them every day, whereas my length gets it only once after washing and if I am trying to wear my hair up and have it look halfway presentable. In fact, in order to braid my hair I actually need to do it on dirty hair and with conditioner and gel. So it is a win-win situation - I actually get to wear the braids and updos I like once in a while, and my hair gets extra moisture and protection.

What do you use as your leave in?

ktani
March 6th, 2012, 06:23 AM
The drops I was using were pretty big I think, lol.

That could have done it (been too much in total), lol.

Vanilla
March 20th, 2012, 08:13 PM
I've been doing a lot of S&D and applying mineral oil only after my wash and when my hair is damp and it's working beautifully! My hair doesn't become greasy, as I don't reapply the oil between washes.

I'm having fewer splits every time I do S&D, and the rest of my routine hasn't changed much. Mineral oil does work for this problem!

RachelRose
December 26th, 2014, 08:42 AM
I'm in the same boat . I've been obsessive about s&d and using an oil mix with mineral oil and it has made a world of difference . I use the dove dry oil mixture with macadamia and mineral oil . Before that my hair was tangly as could be . That and a return to silicones .

Sarahlabyrinth
December 26th, 2014, 02:04 PM
The mineral oil seems to work on my fine hair - I use between 2 and 4 drops on my TBL hair and have had no split ends at all so far (trimming once a year) and only in the last month I have had 2 hairs with small L-shaped ends which I cut off. The oil keeps it wonderfully glossy and tangle free as well. I love the stuff!

RachelRose
January 2nd, 2015, 11:37 PM
Ya know it really is the fine hair that splits on my head I never payed attention til lhc and these thought provoking posts . My fine hair is plentiful In my underlayer too . Perfect for tangles and mechanical damage :/ whoopee

Vanilla
January 3rd, 2015, 06:24 AM
I do still use mineral oil on my hair currently, but in conjunction with panacea (LOC method). I still see splits occasionally, but I haven't had a trim in 9 months. I'm aiming for no trims until October this year.

CremeTron
January 3rd, 2015, 08:37 AM
What a massive coincidence. I was having problems with dryness and knots and used mineral oil on it today and already so much better. And then I see this thread. So yes I agree- mineral oil!

Vanilla
January 3rd, 2015, 05:44 PM
Glad it helps cremetron!

RachelRose
January 4th, 2015, 12:50 PM

Hmmm I use two pumps of my oil which is prob 6-8 drops if I had to guess and really work it through and at first it appears it could be a bit oily and then it's all absorbed . I even apply a tiny bit more almost everyday between washes after dampening my ends. I haven't dealt with build up yet but I do use a diluted sulfate shampoo . What leave ins do you use ? I may look into this .