View Full Version : When heat-styling can't be avoided.

Charasy
March 5th, 2012, 04:52 PM
I'm doing a Shakespeare play in about a month, and having one of the main roles I'm pretty sure they want to do all kinds of crazy stuff to my hair - primarily curling using heat. The play will be up for about 10 days and I just know that 10 days with heat and loads of teasing and hairspray isn't going to do my hair any good - but I also know that it can't be avoided.

So what do I do to help my hair? How do I get away with least amount of damage possible?

Please help! I'm dreading the state my hair will be in after play :( My hair isn't in the best condition to start with.

jacqueline101
March 5th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I would try to see if you could use foam rollers.

FrozenBritannia
March 5th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Well, you could just say you want to be aunthentic, and use methods available back in the day. This will mean you doing them at home the night before though (rag rolling etc) but I guess even that would depend on the character. You are sure they won't have a wig?

Amazinggrace
March 5th, 2012, 05:02 PM
I would see if they could use the caruso steam rollers, or pin curls the night before.

uptosomeone
March 5th, 2012, 05:06 PM
If they do tease I would make sure to use loooooads of conditioner in the shower to get it out--no ripping the brush through. You want to be as gentle as possible. I would suggest heat protectant too, but I'm not sure how much that actually helps...

AnqeIicDemise
March 5th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Whenever we had a production, the last thing we worried about was heat styling. It just took too long of an effort to get the job done especially during run throughs, costume changes and back to back performances. Our director preferred using wigs, especially if there was such a huge change in the look of a character. Most gals had short hair so wigs were a must. Those who had long hair got an option of a wig or wearing rollers.

A gal who played Mariah had hair down to her hips and superbly thick. We tried heat curling during a rehearsal and realized it just took too long and nothing stayed put. After that it was customary to see her run around with a head full of foam curlers. For days where we had double performances she'd put her hair back into the curlers between them. Maybe you can do something similar?

krissykins
March 5th, 2012, 05:07 PM
See if you can use gentler curling methods like pin curls/rag curls/Caruso curlers. If not, then at the very least, do NOT let them tease your hair. Follow up with leaving your conditioner in a bit longer than usual when you wash your hair (if you use conditioner). I wouldn't recommend oiling for the duration of the play if they plan on using heat tools, but once it's over, try some coconut oil soaks (or if you have another oil preference, go with that! :p)

Charasy
March 5th, 2012, 05:08 PM
I did think I'd ask if I could just do a wetset of pin curls and let it air-dry, but to be honest I don't even know if that's healthy for my hair (I'm very new to all this "taking care of your hair!" thingy). I'm positive there won't be a wig though :) It's kinda low-budget and we'll be VERY close to the audience.

I was thinking more along the lines of any treatments that would be good for my hair - like moisture? I don't even know how heat damages hair, I just know it does :(

Thanks for the replies! :)

annamoonfairy
March 5th, 2012, 05:11 PM
If you have long hair I would request the use of a wig so not to damage your hair.

FrozenBritannia
March 5th, 2012, 05:13 PM
I did think I'd ask if I could just do a wetset of pin curls and let it air-dry, but to be honest I don't even know if that's healthy for my hair (I'm very new to all this "taking care of your hair!" thingy). I'm positive there won't be a wig though :) It's kinda low-budget and we'll be VERY close to the audience.

I was thinking more along the lines of any treatments that would be good for my hair - like moisture? I don't even know how heat damages hair, I just know it does :(

Thanks for the replies! :)

Better than a curling iron! I don't remember having any damage the last time I tried it.
For treatments, a honey mask or SMT might be good.

Charasy
March 5th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Wow, you guys are fast! :) I'm loving this site already! Thank you SO much! I'll try and see if pincurls will be alright, and I'll have them not tease my hair if possible.

torrilin
March 5th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Why can't you have them use a wig? Chances are it'd save quite a bit of time for the hair and makeup crew, and it'd save your hair.

As far as brushing, heat, teasing and hairspray... a lot depends on how they're costuming it. If they're shooting for very late Elizabethan, yes, heat and all the rest are appropriate. But if it's meant to be early in her reign, or if it's meant to be non period costumes, there isn't a whole lot of reason to do strange stuff to your hair. (most early portraits of Elizabeth show her in a French hood with slicked back center parted hair, quite severe looking... and she's entirely ordinary and average for a court lady)

Charasy
March 5th, 2012, 05:47 PM
We just don't have wigs. We're a small company relying on funding and we have to make the costumes ourself too :)

We're doing A Midsummer Night's Dream and I'm playing Hermia, so we're in ancient greek-inspired costumes and our hair is to be wavy/curly and in an up-do that can be taken down on-stage for visual effects.

sjshelt
March 5th, 2012, 06:06 PM
how about the caruso steam curlers? or if you have to use heat definitely use a heat protector!!

Beckstar
March 5th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Can you bun your hair while wet and let it dry? Take it down after it's dry. You'll have lovely curls and it won't damage your hair. You could probably get a few days out of it if you sleep in a silk or satin night bonnet. It'll keep your curls from getting crushed and too tangle.I've used a pair of pantyhose before when I couldn't find my bonnet. You tuck the leg part in or cut them off....or you could wear them and try out if y'all ever do Peter Cottontail. :cheese:

Charasy
March 5th, 2012, 06:25 PM
We don't have curlers, I'm afraid, but thanks for the tip! :)

Bun curls! I've seen pictures of that, and I thought they were absolutely LOVELY! I'll try sleeping in a semi-wet bun tonight and see how that works out. Thanks! :) I've wondered how to get those curls.
Is it any specific bun or do I just twist my hair into a bun and that's that? :)

Tisiloves
March 5th, 2012, 07:49 PM
A sock bun works best,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FV-YO46E8Y&feature=plcp&context=C3d18452UDOEgsToPDskLQTR43kIZqeb0Nf_duyqaf

Also to avoid teasing try putting a sock bun on the crown of your head with a tiny bit of hair then gather the rest of your hair on top in a messy bun/pony, voila, instant volumous Grecian hair.

HintOfMint
March 5th, 2012, 08:07 PM
I second foam rollers or those "wrap, snap and go" things with the tacky leopard print. They're funny looking but they worked really well for my old cheerleading and dance performances where we had to have that super high curled ponytail. You're going to look ridiculous for most of the day, but that's theater, darling.

holothuroidea
March 5th, 2012, 08:35 PM
I agree, if you can get your hair in a bun that's your best bet. The key is to get your hair in the bun while it is still damp and let it dry completely. Also make sure your hair is smooth when it goes in the bun or else it will be frizzy.

Any bun should work, my favorite is the bee-butt bun because it is really easy and the curls are tight. All my cinnamon bun attempts end up being bee-butt buns anyway. (On my toddler, not me, my hair's not long enough for any of this).

If you put the bun on top of your head you will get lots of volume.

HTH

JesusFreak88
March 5th, 2012, 08:36 PM
I recommend foam curlers. I have had to do many shows where my hair had to be curled and it was up to me to do my own hair because I helped do other peoples hair. Ironically enough I have become and expert on either using a curling iron or hair sticks on other people's hair even though I REFUSE to let anyone do that to my hair. Last time I let people do that to my hair I had A LOT of split ends. I under stand why wigs are not an option. They are hundreds of dollars for a good quality wig and unless the company is large it just is not in budget. There are more important things to buy.

Arya
March 5th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Pincurls, if done properly, can look really cute while they're in place. I once had my grandma put my hair up in pincurls so I would have curls for the wedding> I liked how it looked so much, I just left em in for the whole thing!

lunalocks
March 5th, 2012, 09:51 PM
I would wear a wig. Or bun it and get some hair pieces in curls to attach to your bun.

I'm going to be in the chorus of "Fiddler" and get to wear a scarf covering my hair the whole show. This will be the first show where I won' t ruin my hair.

Angel_099
March 5th, 2012, 11:05 PM
I just wanted to point out...since I didn't see it mentioned...that if you decide to put your hair in a damp bun to dry, you may want to take it down several times and re-position the bun on the top/bottom of your head until dry. I say this because I know I get a weird "bump" where my bun started a lot of times, and doing this re-positioning helps my hair to avoid that look and end up more flowing. Good luck! :)

Charasy
March 6th, 2012, 05:13 AM
A sock bun works best,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FV-YO46E8Y&feature=plcp&context=C3d18452UDOEgsToPDskLQTR43kIZqeb0Nf_duyqaf

Also to avoid teasing try putting a sock bun on the crown of your head with a tiny bit of hair then gather the rest of your hair on top in a messy bun/pony, voila, instant volumous Grecian hair.

I'll try this! Thank you so much! :)

The girl in the video has beautiful hair!

And thank you so much all of you! You are so friendly and nice and helpful! ^^ I really like being here so far!

Charasy
March 6th, 2012, 05:14 AM
I just wanted to point out...since I didn't see it mentioned...that if you decide to put your hair in a damp bun to dry, you may want to take it down several times and re-position the bun on the top/bottom of your head until dry. I say this because I know I get a weird "bump" where my bun started a lot of times, and doing this re-positioning helps my hair to avoid that look and end up more flowing. Good luck! :)

Thanks! I'll remember that! :)

Kiwiwi
March 6th, 2012, 05:41 AM
I don't have much more to add because everybody already gave good tips.

But I do want to point out that heat styling can be avoided. Simply because you are the boss of your body. If you absolutely do not want heat on your hair there should be nobody on earth forcing you. Even if they don't understand and see it as something normal to do.
My two cents.