PDA

View Full Version : The Torch and Scissors test

sazzie88
March 5th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I am just in the process of doing my weekly s&d.

I couldn't see to well ( it is night time now) so decided to get a torch and hold it in the same time as my hair ends and wow! I can see all the splits and white dots.

My quick question is could someone else please try this and tell me when you trim if you get the white dots at the ends of your hair just aft you have cut it. I don't know if it is damage or if the light is so strong that it is showing a clean cut. I have tried three different hair scissors and cut a lot of hairs but everyone does the same thing.

Please can someone else tell me if it happens to yours too or if mine is just seriously damaged.

Thank you :) :) :)

Sweet Beat
March 5th, 2012, 02:23 PM
I think I've experienced the same thing, and I think it's all about the sharpness of the scissor that you're using.

Madora
March 5th, 2012, 02:44 PM
I think you'd have better results if you did it in bright sunlight. The light from the torch (flashlight) is a different spectrum than true sunlight so your perception of white dots might be different in true sunlight.

furnival
March 5th, 2012, 02:45 PM
A cleanly-cut end will reflect light and look like a white dot- I've noticed this myself.

Amber_Maiden
March 5th, 2012, 02:48 PM
A cleanly-cut end will reflect light and look like a white dot- I've noticed this myself.

Yep, me as. Direct sunlight is much better.

jacqueline101
March 5th, 2012, 04:52 PM
I'd be afraid to use a torch but I have a used natural light. I'd use sharp scissors make sure they're for hair.

Miss Catrina
March 5th, 2012, 07:30 PM
When I first saw this subject line I was afraid you meant a torch as in open flame, and it reminded me of Victorian women purposefully singeing their ends. I was relieved to see someone clarify "flashlight"! :p

Tabitha
March 5th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Yes, flashlight is an Americanism, in the uk we use the word torch routinely for both meanings.

HintOfMint
March 5th, 2012, 08:03 PM
I was really concerned for a second. I remember when some people had a thread on using fire to singe off their split ends! Thankfully, that died down.

Cheap fluorescent light works really well in highlighting actual huge hairy splits for me.

The white dots at the VERY ends are just clean cut ends reflecting light. I'm hoping...

melusine963
March 6th, 2012, 12:29 AM
When I first saw this subject line I was afraid you meant a torch as in open flame, and it reminded me of Victorian women purposefully singeing their ends. I was relieved to see someone clarify "flashlight"! :p

Same here. I thought this was going to be an experiment in what works best to get rid of split ends - fire or scissors. I'm glad I was wrong!

AnimaSola3o4
March 6th, 2012, 01:34 AM
Holy carp. The term 'torch' had me so confused and worried. I forget that there are different names for different things in other countries lol. I was picturing you holding a blow torch up to your hair. shudder:

ETA: Oops, I guess I wasn't the only one lol.

sazzie88
March 6th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Sorry for the confusion people! it didnt even occur to me that in different areas you refer to it as a flashlight..

Im glad that you understood what I meant and didnt attempt it with a fire torch! :)

Madora
March 6th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Sorry for the confusion people! it didnt even occur to me that in different areas you refer to it as a flashlight..

Im glad that you understood what I meant and didnt attempt it with a fire torch! :)

No worries, sazzie88! I love the differences! I always got a kick out of "boot". We call it "trunk" over here. And the dustman is the garbage collector. "Chemist" is the drugstore and "jumble sale" is a "garage sale" here..although I think that designation is different depending on where in the US you reside.

I learned a lot of cute British words while watching "Are you being served"..and I am unamimous in that!

MonaLisa
March 6th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Haha name of this thread did scare me a bit! :D

sazzie88
March 13th, 2012, 02:23 PM
No worries, sazzie88! I love the differences! I always got a kick out of "boot". We call it "trunk" over here. And the dustman is the garbage collector. "Chemist" is the drugstore and "jumble sale" is a "garage sale" here..although I think that designation is different depending on where in the US you reside.

I learned a lot of cute British words while watching "Are you being served"..and I am unamimous in that!

Well done Madora I am impressed! I think I should sharpen up on my words too! It's good to know the differences. :)