PDA

View Full Version : Hair Loss from medication?

ladyshayyy
March 5th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Hello everyone
I am new here and it is my first time posting so I am not sure if a thread like this has already started but here it goes.
In Sept 2010 I took Depakote for migraines for about a month and it made my hair fall out. I mean, badly. Fortunately it was only on my hairline but now my hair is about 1/2 as thick as it used to be. It took about 6 months for that to even get out of my system and then start new growth.
Now I have long baby hairs filling in the bald spots everywhere so I usually wear my hair up and back with a headband because if I wear one without a headband, it looks like I just stuck a for into an electrical outlet.
So here is my question, has anyone else had this problem and how did they deal with it?
I'm probably going to get a few bangs cut it to camouflage it as it continues to grow in.

CelinaStarr
March 5th, 2012, 01:11 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. I've read that Centrum Silver and biotin can help. Centrum Silver helps because it has zinc and selenium. Be careful with the selenium though, because too much can cause hair loss.

I hope more people respond to this. I'm also on many meds that can cause hair loss: propranolol, Wellbutrin, lamictal, and trileptal.

*hugs* and good luck.

Pinkster8
March 5th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I have experienced medication-related hair loss, and it is NOT fun. That's good you're getting baby hairs coming in, though! I started to get baby hairs since I started a Hair, Skin and Nails vitamin with biotin in it, but I also have bangs, which I never wear down anymore. Besides headbands, I really don't know if anything would hide them. Maybe if you take your hair and braid the front close to your hairline while it's damp, so the hairs stay in place better. Other than that, I'm not sure.

annamoonfairy
March 5th, 2012, 05:45 PM
I have migraines and the only medication that helps at all is Esgic Plus Tabs and they have not caused any problems for my hair.

CelinaStarr
March 5th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I have experienced medication-related hair loss, and it is NOT fun. That's good you're getting baby hairs coming in, though! I started to get baby hairs since I started a Hair, Skin and Nails vitamin with biotin in it, but I also have bangs, which I never wear down anymore. Besides headbands, I really don't know if anything would hide them. Maybe if you take your hair and braid the front close to your hairline while it's damp, so the hairs stay in place better. Other than that, I'm not sure.

Are you still on the medication that causes hair loss and do you find that the vitamins help prevent or at least slow down the hair loss?