PDA

View Full Version : Let me introduce my new friend, Amodimethicone....

PinkyCat
March 5th, 2012, 08:13 AM
We got re-acquainted on Saturday and were instant BFFs! :hifive:

I hadn't used any sort of cones in about a year and a half. I felt like I was in a hair rut, so I wanted to try something different.
It makes my hair so silky and swooshy. I also think it helps define my curls. Plus - it's water-soluble right? So CO will remove most of it, I ass-u-me.

Just wanted to say I :heartbeat AMODIMETHICONE until further notice!!

lapushka
March 5th, 2012, 08:49 AM
I've got some amodimethicone in my shampoo lately (Schwarzkopf), whereas before I couldn't use cones in shampoo because it made my hair greasy fast. This is fine, however. I don't know why. Maybe because I used to use coneladen shampoos (Garnier Fructis) before and those were the ones I had real problems with. Not this one, though. Odd, how that's different. I guess not all cones are bad. ;)

rock007junkie
March 5th, 2012, 09:37 AM
I believe the A-cone is not water soluble. I'm glad it works for you though

misspriss
March 5th, 2012, 09:54 AM
A Very interesting article on amodimethicone. (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-amodimethicone-and-other-amine-functionalized-silicones)

It isn't water soluble, but it doesn't build up very quickly either, apparently. As far as cones go, it looks like it is pretty good at what it does. Since it isn't supposed to build up too bad, you could probably get away with CO'ing usually and doing an occasional clarify here and there. If it works for you, and makes your hair look and feel great, there is no reason you shouldn't use it!

Long_hair_bear
March 5th, 2012, 10:03 AM
My hair rather likes it too. Its in my Sebastian drench deep treatment.

styric
March 5th, 2012, 10:06 AM
My favorite protein conditioner has amodimethicone in it (Cloud 9). I also find it a wonderful treat once in awhile

pepperminttea
March 5th, 2012, 10:09 AM
My hair's an amodimethicone fan, too. :) A little makes detangling so much easier!

PinkyCat
March 5th, 2012, 10:14 AM
A Very interesting article on amodimethicone. (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-amodimethicone-and-other-amine-functionalized-silicones)

It isn't water soluble, but it doesn't build up very quickly either, apparently. As far as cones go, it looks like it is pretty good at what it does. Since it isn't supposed to build up too bad, you could probably get away with CO'ing usually and doing an occasional clarify here and there. If it works for you, and makes your hair look and feel great, there is no reason you shouldn't use it!

A very interesting article indeed! Wow thanks for that. I'll post an update in a couple weeks to see if my hair is still happy.

PinkyCat
March 7th, 2012, 08:33 AM
This morning I used a new leave-in product: Mixed Silk Conditioning Leave-In cream by Silk Elements from Sally.
Yes, featuring my new friend.

So far, so fabulous. It was EXTREMELY slippy going in. Smells pretty good. My curls dried defined, frizz-free and light and swooshy. I just want to thrash my hair around! This may become an HG for me. :thumbsup:

misspriss
March 7th, 2012, 10:19 AM
I'm glad you like it. Actually, inspired by this thread and that article I read earlier, I went out to try some Amodithecone myself!

Picture me, running around the hair products isle, randomly grabbing conditioner bottles and reading the ingredients, without regard to the brand or description. I wanted something with Amodithecone, and not Dimethicone, which is apparently a tall order. I found one though, I am not going to use it full time, just sprinkle it in between CO washes. I conditioned once with it, and my hair feels good, but it usually feels pretty good. I've honestly been too stressed out lately to worry about it, but I think it feels/looks good. No complaints.

CariadA
March 7th, 2012, 11:09 AM
I also love this stuff!

I'd been wanting to try a rinse out conditioner with Amodimethicone for awhile now. I had tried it in a leave-in, and while I liked it, I was getting build up too fast. So on Monday, I used L'Oreal Vive Pro Hydra Gloss, which uses Amodimeticone as it's only cone. It really, really reduced tangling and boosted my shine! I'm very happy with it.

luxepiggy
March 7th, 2012, 12:18 PM
WOO!! Amodimethicone FTW! http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/piggies/pig_exercise.gif

My hair is way addicted to aminosilicones - I've totally abandoned the more traditional 'cones and switched to aminosilicone-only conditioners. It's a great way to combine the benefits of 'cones with the benefits of CO without having to worry about buildup (^(oo)^)v

luxepiggy
March 7th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I also love this stuff!

I'd been wanting to try a rinse out conditioner with Amodimethicone for awhile now. I had tried it in a leave-in, and while I liked it, I was getting build up too fast. So on Monday, I used L'Oreal Vive Pro Hydra Gloss, which uses Amodimeticone as it's only cone. It really, really reduced tangling and boosted my shine! I'm very happy with it.

Vive Pro is one of my fave drugstore lines - I've tried the Color Vive, Nutri Gloss and Hydra Gloss versions, and they were all excellent (^(oo)^)v

luxepiggy
March 7th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Plus - it's water-soluble right? So CO will remove most of it, I ass-u-me.

While it is not water soluble, it is very resistant to buildup, and I've found it very compatible with CO. I've done nothing but CO-wash with amodimethicone-y conditioners since July 2011, and my hair has never been happier :D

curlsgalore
March 7th, 2012, 12:43 PM
WOO!! Amodimethicone FTW! http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/piggies/pig_exercise.gif

My hair is way addicted to aminosilicones - I've totally abandoned the more traditional 'cones and switched to aminosilicone-only conditioners. It's a great way to combine the benefits of 'cones with the benefits of CO without having to worry about buildup (^(oo)^)v

Love the piggy!!!

Mairéad
March 7th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Do you know how awesome amodimethicone is? A former -cone basher; me, has given -cones a second chance after having a hair dresser spray a leave in/detangler in that had amodimethicone in it. My hair was tangle free for the entire week with that ONE use of it.

I'm easing in veeeeeery gently though to keep an eye out for build up. -Cone build up is what originally trashed my long hair and made me cut. But now that I'm educated about clarifying shampoos I'm hoping I can get some -cone benefits.

curlsgalore
March 7th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Interesting thread. Since I started the "curly girl method" a few years ago ad went totally "cone less", I have never had an issue with buildup whatsoever. I also thought amodimethicone was water soluble to find out later it's not. I did however use a couple of leave-in products with the A-cone in them with absolutely no problems. The two I used for quite a while were Garnier Fructis sleek and shine leave in and Sally's generic of potion 9 leave in. I don't currently use any products with any type of "cones" but may in the future. Its all about what works for each individual. It would be nice to see which particular prduct with the A-cone works for individuals here. :)

luxepiggy
March 7th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Interesting thread. Since I started the "curly girl method" a few years ago ad went totally "cone less", I have never had an issue with buildup whatsoever. I also thought amodimethicone was water soluble to find out later it's not. I did however use a couple of leave-in products with the A-cone in them with absolutely no problems. The two I used for quite a while were Garnier Fructis sleek and shine leave in and Sally's generic of potion 9 leave in. I don't currently use any products with any type of "cones" but may in the future. Its all about what works for each individual. It would be nice to see which particular prduct with the A-cone works for individuals here. :)

All of the following have worked well on my hair:

Rinse-out conditioner
L'Oreal Vive Pro - Nutri Gloss for medium-long hair that's damaged
L'Oreal Vive Pro - Color Vive
L'Oreal Vive Pro - Hydra Gloss
Garner Fructis - Daily Care
Shu Uemura Art of Hair - Full Shimmer
Acca Kappa - White Moss

Deep Treatment

Shu Uemura Art of Hair - Moisture Velvet Treatment Masque

Chamomile betty
March 7th, 2012, 03:00 PM
If cones make you feel go then use them. I needs some to keep my hair tangle free. Glad your hair is happy!

CariadA
March 7th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Vive Pro is one of my fave drugstore lines - I've tried the Color Vive, Nutri Gloss and Hydra Gloss versions, and they were all excellent (^(oo)^)v

Even after just the one use, I really loved it. And I looove the smell; it smells like honey and milk to me. Glad there's another fan out there!

HintOfMint
March 7th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Even after just the one use, I really loved it. And I looove the smell; it smells like honey and milk to me. Glad there's another fan out there!

The L'oreal Vive Pro smells like milk and honey??? Well, looks like another conditioner to try!

CariadA
March 7th, 2012, 06:02 PM
The L'oreal Vive Pro smells like milk and honey??? Well, looks like another conditioner to try!

Well, that could just be in my head. Try smelling it at the drugstore before you take my word for it. ;)

ratgirldjh
March 7th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Are all the L'oreal Vive Pro rinse outs made with the A-cone? I might want to try this (if I'm not allergic to the scent and I'm not usually allergic to milky/honey/coconut scents lol) ...

luxepiggy
March 7th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Are all the L'oreal Vive Pro rinse outs made with the A-cone? I might want to try this (if I'm not allergic to the scent and I'm not usually allergic to milky/honey/coconut scents lol) ...

Most of them; the Glossy Volume conditioner does not contain any. The different formulas also seem to contain varying proportions of the different ingredients; predictably, the ones meant for damaged or dry hair seem to have more 'coney goodness (^(oo)^)v

HappyHair87
March 7th, 2012, 07:15 PM
This morning I used a new leave-in product: Mixed Silk Conditioning Leave-In cream by Silk Elements from Sally.
Yes, featuring my new friend.

So far, so fabulous. It was EXTREMELY slippy going in. Smells pretty good. My curls dried defined, frizz-free and light and swooshy. I just want to thrash my hair around! This may become an HG for me. :thumbsup:

^This made me LOL!!:laugh:

I like A-cone too! I think it's Dimethicone that makes my hair feel gross:(..(i can't use conditioners with Dimethicone to co-wash but i can for a deep conditoner..strange!:confused:)...unless it has PEG by it.

Hair One cleansing conditioner has Amodimethicone in it and i don't get buildup from that. I like the Mixed Silk Leave-In too...it smells SO good!

angleofdeth
March 28th, 2012, 11:46 AM
I bought my usual Garnier Fructis Triple Conditioner and noticed it was different right out of the bottle. I also noticed that my hair looked like a sheet of seaweed as I rinsed it. Very cool...

So once I'm able to I check the ingredients and GF has added Amodimethicone. I got a little freaked out as I've been cone free since I had a nasty grey flaking build up on my ends.

My hair is much easier to de-tangle now. It only takes minutes now instead of hours. I'll keep an eye out for any build up, but I'm _very_ encouraged by what I'm reading here.

jojo
March 30th, 2012, 01:24 PM
I am loving superdrugs (UK) own volume conditioner, its full of cones and my hair loves it!

Arashi
March 30th, 2012, 07:00 PM
I found that my hair seems to like amodimethicone, too. After reading all the rave reviews for Garnier Triple Nutrition(and reading that it was cone-free) I picked up a bottle one day, only to find once I got home that I bought a reformulated version with amodimethicone. My hair seems to like it well enough, though. What I'm really going to be on the lookout for is skin issues in association with it.. 'cones seem to break me out and I'll notice issues(or a clearing up of them) on the back of my neck in relation to which hair products I use. :hmm:

MissHair
March 30th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Can anyone name known brands that have this ingredient?

ludwig20
March 31st, 2012, 12:38 PM

I'd like to know too! Going cone-free has been good minus excessive tangling. :(

PrincessIdril
March 31st, 2012, 12:48 PM

Aussie
I have the "luscious long" leave-in and that has it. Not sure about their other products (I know "3 minute miracle reconstructor" doesn't have it), but I expect the rest of the long hair line does.

theodora
April 27th, 2012, 04:50 AM
I'm usually 100% cone-free but reading this thread inspired me so I tried an Elvive conditioner with amodimethicone for damaged hair (the one with protein and arginine that comes in a black bottle) because I have bleach-damaged hair.
It made my hair really lovely, but I haven't washed since so don't know yet how easily it will go in a CO wash. Also, I didn't notice my hair suddenly becoming very dry two days after washing, which is usually what happens to me with cones.

Catia
July 19th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Do you know how awesome amodimethicone is? A former -cone basher; me, has given -cones a second chance

This is me too :o

I'm resurrecting this thread to add a couple more amodimethicone-only products to the list. :p I am finding it's a challenge to find one without the heavier silicones mixed in as well.

(*copied from my blog)
Joico K-PAK Deep Penetrating Reconstructor
Joico K-PAK Reconstruct Conditioner
Joico Color Endure Conditioner

TJ MAXX had amazing deals on Joico products and I stood there reading for quite awhile lol. The other conditioners in their line-up have Dimethicone.

I also wanted to add that Sulfates are not necessary to remove amodimethicone. Cocamidopropyl betaine (found in many sulfate-free poo's; Giovanni, TIGI) is sufficient. However, I am going to follow Piggy's impressive 8) example and try my hand at CO without 'poo intervention.

I am SO excited to throw everything I thought I knew to the wind AND have a whole new world of delicious smelling options available for the first time in YEARS.

It's a cone Rebellion :hooched:

lilliemer
July 19th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Phytojoba intense hydrating mask is another one with amodimethicone. It is too heavy (and too expensive!) for a leave in but gives me nice slip if used as directed as a mask. Also smells really good.

Catia
July 20th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Phytojoba intense hydrating mask is another one with amodimethicone. It is too heavy (and too expensive!) for a leave in but gives me nice slip if used as directed as a mask. Also smells really good.

My greedy little fingers had to look this up as soon as I read this :p

According to Sephora it has Dimethicone higher up on the list though. Bummer :(

(my wallet is ok with that though lol)

Loviatar
July 20th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Catia, do you know if shampoo bars can remove amodimethicone?

Catia
July 20th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Catia, do you know if shampoo bars can remove amodimethicone?

Good question. Cones need a surfactant that has an ionic charge to remove them. Amodimethicone requires an ionic charged surfactant (not necessarily a harsh one) but I'm not finding any information stating it requires negative or positive.

Soap, from what I can gather, has an anionic (negative) charge in water and therefore should be sufficient according to the information I have gleaned ;)

Firefly
July 20th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Amodimethicone is the only cone that my hair likes... it is awesome! I'm using Shikai Everyday Conditioner at the moment.

Catia
July 20th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Lovi - you got my brain turning so I looked up the mild surfactant in all my conditioners (stearamidopropyl dimethylamine) and sure enough it has a positive charge (cationic).

BEHOLD - so I CAN do CO w/o benefit of shampoo or clarifying. No worries. Groovy! :afro:

Loviatar
July 20th, 2012, 06:13 PM
I tend to lose hair on a totally CO routine, Catia - I'm bummed that bars have just decided to flake out on me. I need to have nice hair for seeing the Gentleman Caller tomorrow, bars are my usual standby. :justy:

Great that your 'cones are positive ones ;)

I do have a Lee Stafford amodimeth spray in my room which I bought for super tangly days. Maybe I'll give that a go but I always seem to overdo leave-ins.

Catia
July 20th, 2012, 07:04 PM
I tend to lose hair on a totally CO routine, Catia - I'm bummed that bars have just decided to flake out on me. I need to have nice hair for seeing the Gentleman Caller tomorrow, bars are my usual standby. :justy:

I've heard that about CO, I'm new to it so I'm keeping an eye out for shedding :uhh:

Soap bars aren't working for you? As in they aren't getting out buildup or ...?

Possessing an ionic charge they should technically work, but I'm curious about the reality of it.

lacefrost
July 20th, 2012, 07:48 PM
My hair loves amodimethicone. I've never had build up but it only touches my hair once a week for (super) quick detangling.

HereIGrowAgain
July 25th, 2012, 11:45 AM
My ends were feeling totally fried yesterday. I did a S&D session, followed by another S&D session, and then was contemplating getting a cut (trim), even though I'm only 6 months out from my last cut.

I did a deep treatment last night, with a heavy leave-in moisturizer, and then followed that this morning with a rinse, root shampoo, and then some L'Oreal Vive Pro Hydra Gloss, followed with some more moisturizing style cream to bring out the waves and give the blowdryer/flat iron a rest.

Holy smokes, that stuff is awesome! I think it just saved me from trimming about 1.5 inches off my ends. Thanks for the info, ya'll!

Catia
July 25th, 2012, 12:01 PM
My ends were feeling totally fried yesterday. I did a S&D session, followed by another S&D session, and then was contemplating getting a cut (trim), even though I'm only 6 months out from my last cut.

I did a deep treatment last night, with a heavy leave-in moisturizer, and then followed that this morning with a rinse, root shampoo, and then some L'Oreal Vive Pro Hydra Gloss, followed with some more moisturizing style cream to bring out the waves and give the blowdryer/flat iron a rest.

Holy smokes, that stuff is awesome! I think it just saved me from trimming about 1.5 inches off my ends. Thanks for the info, ya'll!

(bolding mine)
I used this for the first time last night, and I agree, awesome!

I wasn't sure if I would love the fragrance (it smells a bit like classic cold cream) and I really like the HH fragrance.

It smells better in the hair then in the bottle and has a wonderfully strong scent that lingers. I know not everyone loves that, but after years of natural stuff that smells like nothing in my hair I am over the moon to have a noticeable fragrance. The fragrance is stronger then HH, and seems to be slightly more slippery too.

I am having so much fun with this stuff :p

I just bought Aussie Moist conditioner today but I'm going to start using Joico soon in prep for hair color :D

akilina
July 25th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I used a product with it in it yesterday!! :D I got the new formulated GF triple nutrition and apparently the new formula has this in it.
I must say, I loved it!
I read something about how that cone builds up on places of damage, but won't build up on healthy hair. Guess I will have to find out from personal experience.

lilliemer
July 25th, 2012, 09:05 PM
My greedy little fingers had to look this up as soon as I read this :p

According to Sephora it has Dimethicone higher up on the list though. Bummer :(

(my wallet is ok with that though lol)

Yes i didn't realize this until I double checked the ingredients list. Sorry if I misled anyone. I am still getting good results with it, I have heat damaged ends and I think I need the coating/slip.

CurlyCurves
July 26th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Think I may have to steal your friend off you, if she's worth it :p

Silverbrumby
July 26th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Off to check out my products for this. I do use the Triple Garnier range the Aussie 3M.

BTW, does the new L'Oreal sulfate free range have Amodimethicone in it? Must go and have a look.